Trade: [MIA/SF] Dolphins trade 3rd pick to 49ers for 12th pick, 2022 3rd, 2022 1st & 2023 1st

DangleCity

Jun 23, 2016
Yeah, maybe he will play crappy and unmotivated like Aaron Rodgers
The Packers didnt draft Love 3rd overall or give up 3 first rd picks. I dont see a scenario in which the 9ers give up all the capital and invest thar highly in a guy to sit on the bench, even for one year, especially given how rookie QBs have been able to step in year one and produce. I think their mindset is 100% we can draft someone 3rd overall that will step in day one and be better than Jimmy and we wont also have to pay him $25 million.

Shanahan can posture all he wants. BB said he wouldn't trade Jimmy for 4 1sts but yet he still traded him.

Reactions: Voight

DangleCity

Jun 23, 2016
For Jimmy, the only way he makes the kind of money he is set to make this coming season is with the SF. If he were to get cut or traded (on a restructured contract), he wouldn't make as much since he couldn't stay healthy in 2/3 seasons as the starter missing over 20 games for those 2 seasons.
Eh, I dont know his exact contracr details, but judging by how the NFL does business and contracts are structured, Jimmy has probably already made the bulk of that contracts guaranteed money and is more concerned about his next contract

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
It’s less than $3m to cut him. The problem is really that it’s late in the game now that there isn’t much left if they moved on. But you draft a guy 3OV, he should be on the field anyways.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Eh, I dont know his exact contracr details, but judging by how the NFL does business and contracts are structured, Jimmy has probably already made the bulk of that contracts guaranteed money and is more concerned about his next contract
Any guaranteed money is over for Jimmy. That typically ends after 2-3 years depending on the quality of the player. Any dead cap hit at this point is his remaining unallocated signing bonus which was like $7 mill when he signed.

As for his next contract teams are going to factor in his health. 4 times he was expected to be the starter including that 4 game stint with NE with Brady’s suspension and he was hurt and missed games in 3/4 of those seasons.

he would get more than Cam, but wouldn’t like the same $25 mill per contract he has now. Likely a short term deal of 1-2 years for Around $15 mill per with year 1 guaranteed. The later he is moved the more spots get filled up after the draft.

DangleCity

Jun 23, 2016
Any guaranteed money is over for Jimmy. That typically ends after 2-3 years depending on the quality of the player. Any dead cap hit at this point is his remaining unallocated signing bonus which was like $7 mill when he signed.

As for his next contract teams are going to factor in his health. 4 times he was expected to be the starter including that 4 game stint with NE with Brady’s suspension and he was hurt and missed games in 3/4 of those seasons.

he would get more than Cam, but wouldn’t like the same $25 mill per contract he has now. Likely a short term deal of 1-2 years for Around $15 mill per with year 1 guaranteed. The later he is moved the more spots get filled up after the draft.
Yeah that's kinda my point. His contract is irrelevant since he's already made the bulk of his guarantees. So his contract is not a reason he would want to stay in San Fran

AZviaNJ

“Sure as shit want to F*** Coyote fans.”
Mar 31, 2011
AZ
It’s less than $3m to cut him. The problem is really that it’s late in the game now that there isn’t much left if they moved on. But you draft a guy 3OV, he should be on the field anyways.
Lynch (Peters) has done a great job of working the cap. They can extend Warner next year, there's no rush to extend or sign anyone else now.

Jimmy + 3oA > 30A and Minshew or some other back-up. Keep Jimmy unless there's a significant offer for him (2nd Rd pick or better), but that's highly unlikely. 49ers can't give away a year hoping a rookie QB develops on the job. Run with both.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Lynch (Peters) has done a great job of working the cap. They can extend Warner next year, there's no rush to extend or sign anyone else now.

Jimmy + 3oA > 30A and Minshew or some other back-up. Keep Jimmy unless there's a significant offer for him (2nd Rd pick or better), but that's highly unlikely. 49ers can't give away a year hoping a rookie QB develops on the job. Run with both.
If you're drafting someone 3rd overall, you should expect him to be on the field. Sitting for a year doesn't serve Lance, if in fact that's the end game, since he's already been out for a whole year. He needs to be on the field taking snaps in game action.

AZviaNJ

“Sure as shit want to F*** Coyote fans.”
Mar 31, 2011
AZ
You know the one QB that doesn't have many question marks and fits the Physical attributes that Kyle loves in a QB? Mac Jones. He's not as flashy and his ceiling is not as high but outside Lawrence and Wilson he is probally the most ready QB.
and he fits perfectly into Shanahan's system, he processes very well, throws the effectively down the field and does a lot of what Matt Ryan does (which Kyle likes).

Mac Jones at 3 is definite possibility.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Yeah that's kinda my point. His contract is irrelevant since he's already made the bulk of his guarantees. So his contract is not a reason he would want to stay in San Fran
He still needs to put in his best effort to secure a job in 2022. There is a batch of 5 first round QBs this year and another 2 likely in round 2. Plus 2022 draft will likely have another 3/4 first round QBs. So that’s upwards of 8/9 QB jobs that will be taken up.

who is starting this season that will get pushed out next season? Dalton in Chicago, Fitz in Washington, Taylor in Houston, Cam in NE.
Then these guys like Locke in Denver, Cousins in Minny, Goff in Detroit, Hurts in Philly, Jones in NY, Tua in Miami, Winston in NO, Ryan in ATL depending on the dead cap charge. Around half or more of this group will start the others likely moved to backups.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
I see Shanahan has bought into the Mac Jones hype. The Draft is starting to look very interesting.

Is there anyone left in the final wave of FA for the 49ers to invest that money in? That’d be more valuable than keeping Jimmy G for the year? They’ve got enough cap for their picks.

Jimmy G would be a great insurance policy + they can keep him around for a trade if another teams QB goes down with an injury between now and the deadline. If they can afford to keep him, no reason not to.

His play this year didn't do him any favors nor make him a highly sought after guy.

Last edited:

DangleCity

Jun 23, 2016
He still needs to put in his best effort to secure a job in 2022. There is a batch of 5 first round QBs this year and another 2 likely in round 2. Plus 2022 draft will likely have another 3/4 first round QBs. So that’s upwards of 8/9 QB jobs that will be taken up.

who is starting this season that will get pushed out next season? Dalton in Chicago, Fitz in Washington, Taylor in Houston, Cam in NE.
Then these guys like Locke in Denver, Cousins in Minny, Goff in Detroit, Hurts in Philly, Jones in NY, Tua in Miami, Winston in NO, Ryan in ATL depending on the dead cap charge. Around half or more of this group will start the others likely moved to backups.
Coming to NE makes all the sense in the world. Cam is on a back up contract, Jimmy steps in day one and Cam is there as insurance.

Also, the Bears make a lot of sense. Dalton is a fringe starter on a low contract. Jimmy would be an upgrade, Dalton is there in case of an injury

DangleCity

Jun 23, 2016
I see Shanahan has bought into the Mac Jones hype. The Draft is starting to look very interesting.

Jimmy G would be a great insurance policy + they can keep him around for a trade if another teams QB goes down with an injury between now and the deadline. If they can afford to keep him, no reason not to.

His play this year didn't do him any favors nor make him a highly sought after guy.
I just dont see their owner handing out $50 million of real cash for 2021 for Jimmy and the 3rd overall pick that is going to get probably a $20+ million signing bonus

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I just dont see their owner handing out $50 million of real cash for 2021 for Jimmy and the 3rd overall pick that is going to get probably a $20+ million signing bonus
The value of a 3rd OA pick is around $30 million for 4 years. Not sure on the breakdown of SB to salary. But, it would be a lot of money to dole out.

The thing for a Jimmy trade is that SF needs him to restructure the contract in order to receive any compensation. and the trading team is likely trying to wait it out to get him for nothing. So, if SF holds out for a 2nd round pick vs say a 3rd or 4th round pick, it becomes a game of chicken to see who blinks first.

NE has 2 comp. 3rd round picks that they can move one if needed to secure the deal. I think BB would move a 3rd to get Jimmy back and Jimmy would welcome the move and redo his contract in that scenario.

Reactions: Voight

DangleCity

Jun 23, 2016
The value of a 3rd OA pick is around $30 million for 4 years. Not sure on the breakdown of SB to salary. But, it would be a lot of money to dole out.

The thing for a Jimmy trade is that SF needs him to restructure the contract in order to receive any compensation. and the trading team is likely trying to wait it out to get him for nothing. So, if SF holds out for a 2nd round pick vs say a 3rd or 4th round pick, it becomes a game of chicken to see who blinks first.

NE has 2 comp. 3rd round picks that they can move one if needed to secure the deal. I think BB would move a 3rd to get Jimmy back and Jimmy would welcome the move and redo his contract in that scenario.
Right, but the 3rd overall is also going to get around $25 million signing bonus. So I dont see them paying +$50 million at the QB position in 2021.

Id be stunned if he isnt moved at some point this offseason. The more the 9ers deny it, the more strongly I believe he's gone.

Last edited:

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Right, but the 3rd overall is also going to get around Ujjain$25 million signing bonus. So I dont see them paying +$50 million at the QB position in 2021.

Id be stunned if he isnt moved at some point this offseason. The more the 9ers deny it, the more strongly I believe he's gone.
Of the 3 QBs that they could draft, Lance and Jones have started 17 college games, while Fields has started 22 college games. Who would be the most ready to step in and take the reigns of the 49ers who consider themselves to be a Super Bowl team at the other positions?

Based off Jeff Okuda, the 3OA pick in 2020, he got $22 mill in SB with $600K base salary in 2020. Assuming that rookie contracts dropped by the same % of the salary cap of around 16%, this year's 3OA would still come in at $18-$19 mill in SB.

Jimmy has been paid over $88 million in his NFL career. He should NOT be desperate for money. Landing spot for him should be the most important factor. He's stuck in a tough situation as SF can cut him at any time and leave him scrambling for a job at the end of training camp if they wanted to. How many teams would have cap room and the right situation for him at that point in the season?

DangleCity

Jun 23, 2016
Of the 3 QBs that they could draft, Lance and Jones have started 17 college games, while Fields has started 22 college games. Who would be the most ready to step in and take the reigns of the 49ers who consider themselves to be a Super Bowl team at the other positions?

Based off Jeff Okuda, the 3OA pick in 2020, he got $22 mill in SB with $600K base salary in 2020. Assuming that rookie contracts dropped by the same % of the salary cap of around 16%, this year's 3OA would still come in at $18-$19 mill in SB.

Jimmy has been paid over $88 million in his NFL career. He should NOT be desperate for money. Landing spot for him should be the most important factor. He's stuck in a tough situation as SF can cut him at any time and leave him scrambling for a job at the end of training camp if they wanted to. How many teams would have cap room and the right situation for him at that point in the season?
The 9ers went 6-10 last season so that aspect that they are SB contenders is bring overstated. There best bet is to let whoever they draft start day one. We are talking abkut the 3rd overall pick not a 2nd or 3rd rounder which are usually the guys who need to sit a year or two.

Jimmy has a perfect landing spot in NE. NE needs a QB and spent a ton of money to sure up there roster. Plus BB likes him and drafted him. It all makes too much sense now that SF has moved up to take a QB.

My only point about the money is that I dont think there is an owner in the NFL who is going to be okay paying out that kind of real money for two QBs

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
The 9ers went 6-10 last season so that aspect that they are SB contenders is bring overstated. There best bet is to let whoever they draft start day one. We are talking abkut the 3rd overall pick not a 2nd or 3rd rounder which are usually the guys who need to sit a year or two.

Jimmy has a perfect landing spot in NE. NE needs a QB and spent a ton of money to sure up there roster. Plus BB likes him and drafted him. It all makes too much sense now that SF has moved up to take a QB.

My only point about the money is that I dont think there is an owner in the NFL who is going to be okay paying out that kind of real money for two QBs
SF was decimated by injuries last season, not just Jimmy. Maybe a healthy D sqeaks out another win or 2 to get to 8-8. Which just shows how a team can drop drastically from one season to the next.

Is paying $50 mill to QBs a smart move? No, not when that $25 mill to Jimmy could be used to upgrade another position or two or add depth.

But, SF seems intent on getting a return for him. Like I said, it's now a game of chicken between SF, Jimmy and the rest of the league who would be interested in him. Jimmy's salary for 2021 could vary by over $10 million depending on when SF cuts him. Even if they do cut him and NE spends most of their cap space, still ways for a team to get Jimmy signed by giving him more SB and a lower base to get him to a number that makes sense for him.

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
Lol yeah, SF didn’t have their team after those 2 games in New York early last season. Their JV squad went 6-10 last year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad