Mets/Yankees Thread

Satan'sIsland81

Feb 9, 2007
What the Mets have done recently is again why I always think its funny how Mets/Islanders fans will group the two teams together in terms of how they build a team. (Sidenote: this is coming from someone who is not only not a Mets fan, but I dont even really care about baseball much.) Have the Mets had much success in recent years outside of that one great year going to the World Series? No. But the Mets will still bring in big name players, make moves, bring in stars...and frequently at that. Look at this year's deadline just as the perfect example. The Mets were like 8 games out of a playoff spot and they kept all their guys and made a trade for a top pitcher. And now look what they are doing. They are closing in on a playoff spot and have a starting rotation with Stroman added that rivals just about any team in baseball. On the other hand, the Isles never do anything at the trade deadline, whether they are fighting for a playoff spot or in first place. When is the last time the Isles ever made a trade like the Stroman one, or even signed a top player for that matter. I personally wish the Isles were able to get the type of players and make the types of moves the Mets do.

Lame Lambert

Fire Lou
Mar 5, 2015
I hate them.

...but I keep coming back.
tenor.gif

19 in a row

Jul 19, 2011
Long Island
Even though the Jets have long since vacated, I still consider them part of a core troika of LI based teams (ok,not technically but you know what I'm saying) that were all established within 10 years of each other, had there greatest success within their first 10 years and then have pretty much sucked ever since (Miracle of '86 notwithstanding). I guess you could throw the Nets in there too, though come on, talk about an afterthought franchise. Did they ever even win an ABA championship? I can't remember (but then again, why would I?).

Like many LIers I also live and die with the Isles/Jets/Mets and unfortunately have passed that curse to my kids. No championships since 1986 between them .

I would respectfully disagree that the Mets sucked other than that one amazing 1986 year. They were really really good for a 7 year stretch from 1984 to 1990. During that period if there was a single wild card they would have made the playoffs in 6 of those 7 years and the 2nd wild card in the other year. They won at least 90 games in 6 of those 7 years with the other being 87 wins in 1989. A combination of injuries, running into one year teams of destiny and just being screw ups cost them.

So many "what ifs" (yes I know it means nothing but can't help it) If Doc wasn't doing drugs, if they hadn't traded Kevin Mitchell for McReynolds because Mitchell was the "bad influence" on Doc & Darryl, if they hadn't traded a young Aguilera as part of the Viola deal before someone discovered he would be a dominant closer, if the whole starting staff hadn't gotten hurt in 87 when they may have had their best team, if they hadn't run into hot Cubs or Cards teams in '84 and '85 when they were ready to win or lost to a flawed/team of destiny Dodgers in the '88 playoffs.. if if if if, I know, but that team had the potential (the evil P word) to be great, if thing had broken their way rather than how we remember them...they should have had a dynasty that picked up right where the Isles left off. but of course they didnt.

The Jets have had their moments (made playoffs 6 of 10 years from the 2001 to the 2010 seasons ( but have also had a lot of horrible years and a long cold stretch again. Three 3 conference championship games in 12 years (all losses of course) at least made for some enjoyment. Almost all of those playoff games were on the road. Being there when they beat a young Peyton Manning in a home playoff game 41-0 was definitely a highlight. Cold spell now but feel this team may be on the way up finally.. not there yet but on their way.

Also Nets won 2 of the last 3 ABA championships. Loved Dr J, lost interest in pro basketball for a number of years after they left. I was a Knicks season ticket holder for much of the 90s when they got to at least the 2nd round for a stretch of years was a lot of fun but never had the passion like I have for the other 3 and don't watch the NBA at all anymore.

Last edited:
Reactions: Maximus

Uncle Duke

Heads up, fellas!
May 14, 2018
Sarasota, FL
Like many LIers I also live and die with the Isles/Jets/Mets and unfortunately have passed that curse to my kids. No championships since 1986 between them .

I would respectfully disagree that the Mets sucked other than that one amazing 1986 year. They were really really good for a 7 year stretch from 1984 to 1990. During that period if there was a single wild card they would have made the playoffs in 6 of those 7 years and the 2nd wild card in the other year. They won at least 90 games in 6 of those 7 years with the other being 87 wins in 1989. A combination of injuries, running into one year teams of destiny and just being screw ups cost them.

So many "what ifs" (yes I know it means nothing but can't help it) If Doc wasn't doing drugs, if they hadn't traded Kevin Mitchell for McReynolds because Mitchell was the "bad influence" on Doc & Darryl, if they hadn't traded a young Aguilera as part of the Viola deal before someone discovered he would be a dominant closer, if the whole starting staff hadn't gotten hurt in 87 when they may have had their best team, if they hadn't run into hot Cubs or Cards teams in '84 and '85 when they were ready to win or lost to a flawed/team of destiny Dodgers in the '88 playoffs.. if if if if, I know, but that team had the potential (the evil P word) to be great, if thing had broken their way rather than how we remember them...they should have had a dynasty that picked up right where the Isles left off. but of course they didnt.

The Jets have had their moments (made playoffs 6 of 10 years from the 2001 to the 2010 seasons ( but have also had a lot of horrible years and a long cold stretch again. Three 3 conference championship games in 12 years (all losses of course) at least made for some enjoyment. Almost all of those playoff games were on the road. Being there when they beat a young Peyton Manning in a home playoff game 41-0 was definitely a highlight. Cold spell now but feel this team may be on the way up finally.. not there yet but on their way.

Also Nets won 2 of the last 3 ABA championships. Loved Dr J, lost interest in pro basketball for a number of years after they left. I was a Knicks season ticket holder for much of the 90s when they got to at least the 2nd round for a stretch of years was a lot of fun but never had the passion like I have for the other 3 and don't watch the NBA at all anymore.
I'll concede all of that, but what I was getting at more than anything was the serial mismanagement vs the actual on field results. I mean lets face it, if your bad enough, long enough, your gonna get some draft picks that are going to help you to be at least respectable and, forgive the cliche, even a broken watch is right twice a day.

19 in a row

Jul 19, 2011
Long Island
I'll concede all of that, but what I was getting at more than anything was the serial mismanagement vs the actual on field results. I mean lets face it, if your bad enough, long enough, your gonna get some draft picks that are going to help you to be at least respectable and, forgive the cliche, even a broken watch is right twice a day.

definitely agree with you that all 3 have poor management in common for the long run. Frustrating to see the teams have incomplete rebuilds with some combination of terrible missteps/trades, poor management and unwillingness to spend at times.. The opposite of the Giants and Yankees for the most part.
But I am the eternal optimist (or is it masochist?)

Phil120362

Dec 29, 2018
Get rid of the Wilponzi's....

Reactions: bigtim1988

pursuit81

Apr 12, 2018
By all rights I should be a Mets fan but I'm not. For those of you old enough, it goes back to when M. Donald Grant was running the show. And now that they are affiliated with Citi, there is even more reason for me to dislike them. I'll spare you the details. But NYC baseball is so much better when the Yanks aren't taking up all the oxygen. Anyway, been watching this series with the Nats and it is great to see some energy at (Shea ;)). Hell of run you guys are on.

I don't think I have watched a Mets game that wasn't a playoff game in 20 years so some quick observations about your tv announcers. Gary Cohen is excellent with his play by play but struggles with the call of the big moment IMO. Ron Darling is superb. Keith Hernandez is a likeable personality with an important role in Mets lore but is otherwise worthless in there. Oh, and what's the deal with no strike zone box?

Good luck, hope you can keep it going.

Mr Misunderstood

Loser Point User
Apr 11, 2016
Charlotte, NC
By all rights I should be a Mets fan but I'm not. For those of you old enough, it goes back to when M. Donald Grant was running the show. And now that they are affiliated with Citi, there is even more reason for me to dislike them. I'll spare you the details. But NYC baseball is so much better when the Yanks aren't taking up all the oxygen. Anyway, been watching this series with the Nats and it is great to see some energy at (Shea ;)). Hell of run you guys are on.

I don't think I have watched a Mets game that wasn't a playoff game in 20 years so some quick observations about your tv announcers. Gary Cohen is excellent with his play by play but struggles with the call of the big moment IMO. Ron Darling is superb. Keith Hernandez is a likeable personality with an important role in Mets lore but is otherwise worthless in there. Oh, and what's the deal with no strike zone box?

Good luck, hope you can keep it going.

Mets broadcast booth is the best in the biz and Keith is a gem. Supremely knowledgeable about hitting and loves fundamental baseball.

He's also such a great source of humor in the booth.

danteipp

Aug 3, 2005
Mets broadcast booth is the best in the biz and Keith is a gem. Supremely knowledgeable about hitting and loves fundamental baseball.

I was going to say almost the exact same thing. Keith isn't going to overwhelm you with idle chatter, but he can provide terrific analysis of hitting fundamentals, fielding and game strategy. And, if it is a blowout game, he tends to have some good stories or will make you laugh as he clearly wants to get out of there ASAP and you can hear his frustration - especially if the umpire is dragging out the game with a tight strike zone, lol.

I really like Gary Cohen and how he calls a game. The thing is, he isn't going to overwhelm the viewer and try to put his stamp on a moment. He will get excited, he is a baseball fan after all, but he isn't going to use cheesy nicknames or cliche sayings or try to insert himself in the moment.

There is a fine line between being classy on calls (like Vin Scully) or being over the top and coming off like a buffoon. I assume Gary Cohen prefers to stay away from that and let the moment speak for itself. Honestly, if you want to hear more emotion or really experience and feel a moment, Howie Rose on the radio broadcast is fantastic.

pursuit81

Apr 12, 2018

Pretty much every fan feels that way about their own guys. Nothing wrong with that. I was just giving you a dispassionate outsiders observation.

DeGrom has to be the unluckiest pitcher in the last decade. Maybe more. They never get him any runs and if by some miracle they do, they eff it up with errors. A shame.

Mr Misunderstood

Loser Point User
Apr 11, 2016
Charlotte, NC
Pretty much every fan feels that way about their own guys. Nothing wrong with that. I was just giving you a dispassionate outsiders observation.

DeGrom has to be the unluckiest pitcher in the last decade. Maybe more. They never get him any runs and if by some miracle they do, they eff it up with errors. A shame.

True, but how many other broadcast booths have their announcers taken for the national broadcasts for the playoffs? Ron goes to TBS and Keith goes to Fox, that's a testament to how good and entertaining they are.

deGrom's luck (or lack thereof) is truly unbelievable.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
True, but how many other broadcast booths have their announcers taken for the national broadcasts for the playoffs? Ron goes to TBS and Keith goes to Fox, that's a testament to how good and entertaining they are.

I was going to mention that. Darling specifically is outstanding. He seemingly knows every team in baseball very well and calls it like it is, whether that is ripping a team he's covering or not. Love him in the booth.

pursuit81

Apr 12, 2018

Darling is fantastic. Super-intelligent and no facet of the game beyond his expertise. I do think that part of Hernandez national appeal, more than what he brings in the booth and aside from his humor, is his mid-western connection as a beloved Cardinal. St. Louis is the NLs Yankees. But, I know you guys disagree. No right answer.

All this Mets talk is really tweaking some childhood memories. Just watched a few Seaver vids on youtube. Was there ever a more technically perfect pitcher? Just beautiful to watch. They mentioned Dick Young in one of those vids too. Remembering what a prick he was. One of those writers who thought he was more important than the athletes. I didn't hate him as kid, but the older I got, the more I could see how self important he was. Anyway, a nice trip down memory lane. I really do wish the Mets well and hope they can make the playoffs.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Darling is fantastic. Super-intelligent and no facet of the game beyond his expertise. I do think that part of Hernandez national appeal, more than what he brings in the booth and aside from his humor, is his mid-western connection as a beloved Cardinal. St. Louis is the NLs Yankees. But, I know you guys disagree. No right answer.

All this Mets talk is really tweaking some childhood memories. Just watched a few Seaver vids on youtube. Was there ever a more technically perfect pitcher? Just beautiful to watch. They mentioned Dick Young in one of those vids too. Remembering what a prick he was. One of those writers who thought he was more important than the athletes. I didn't hate him as kid, but the older I got, the more I could see how self important he was. Anyway, a nice trip down memory lane. I really do wish the Mets well and hope they can make the playoffs.

Keith is definitely much more of an acquired taste than Darling is. Keith is actually pretty similar to our very own Butch sometimes, where they can go on tangents and reminisce about the old days. Not knowing what's going to come out of their mouth is half the fun with them.

Islanders4Cups

May 4, 2002
Boston, MA USA
I will have to agree that as Mets and Islander fans we have been blessed with terrific broadcasters. I cannot fathom having to listen to some of the jokers you here when you tune in to the NHL or MLB network. There really is no comparison.

Reactions: bigtim1988

13th Floor

Oct 10, 2008
Well it was a fun month and a half. But that's a wrap. Silly me for actually getting into the mets again.

Back to not caring about baseball. 37 days til opening night.

So glad I was raised a Yankees fan. Because Islanders, Jets. Knicks is bad enough. Adding the Mets to that should be a felony and I'm sorry to anyone who deals with that.

Merrrlin

Grab the 9 iron, Barry!
Jul 2, 2019
So glad I was raised a Yankees fan. Because Islanders, Jets. Knicks is bad enough. Adding the Mets to that should be a felony and I'm sorry to anyone who deals with that.

Islanders, Jets, Nets, Mets...a little excitement mixed with a lot of alcohol and sorrow.

I miss old Thor.

Mr Misunderstood

Loser Point User
Apr 11, 2016
Charlotte, NC
Yankee fan or Met fan, we all knew this was coming.

I was personally wanting this to happen at the end of September as opposed to the end of August because '07 and '08 weren't fun enough.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad