Mets/Yankees Thread

bigtim1988

YES! YES! YES! YES!
Jun 7, 2009
long island
Reports across multiple outlets have the Wilpons looking to sell the Mets. I didn't think that nightmare would ever end.

https://nypost.com/2019/12/04/wilpons-taking-steps-towards-selling-mets-to-steve-cohen/

that would be amazing, I can't stand the freaking wilponzis. Once I read that article in sports illustrated, and fred was gloating about how they thought they would make money off the Bobby Bo deal with the returns from Madoff, I lost a lot of interest in the team. That really annoyed the shit out of me.

There was a point in my life were I loved the mets as much--maybe even more so--as the islanders, but once I read that article, I knew that Wilponzi cared more about revenue, more than fielding a consistently good baseball team. I also found it extremely annoying that his buddy Selig didn't force a sale of the team at the time.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Meanwhile the Mets acquire a guy who hit .233 when he knew what pitches were coming 50% of the time

mets are getting their very own Ledecky/Malkin. That’s all that matters right now. The days of them operating like a Mickey Mouse organization will be over in the near future.

But yes, the Yankees need to get Cole!!! Last/missing piece in my opinion.

Reactions: islesfan3913

crasherino

May 9, 2013
Meanwhile the Mets acquire a guy who hit .233 when he knew what pitches were coming 50% of the time
Not a sexy pickup but he has some upside. I didn't realize that he was already 28, but he could surprise people if he gets the chance. Him getting the starting CF gig, is unspectacular though and means that JD Davis will not be in the lineup unless a lefty is pitching.

The Mets roster has them in a bit of a pickle. Either have a weak defensive OF with Conforto/Nimmo in CF and JD Davis in left or have a weak bat in there with Marisnick in CF. Trading for Marte was the other option, I guess but they really didnt have the chips for that at this point. I guess it will play out over the season as to who gets the playing time. Maybe its a good thing to have Dom Smith and Davis coming off the bench????

Strummergas

Regular User
Sep 3, 2006
Queens, NY
Id rather not win than buy championships. I dont see how theres satisfaction behind those.

That's because you've never experienced it. I understand the romance of winning a championship with a home-grown team, but goddamn it, a championship is a championship. And as a Islanders/Mets fan, I'd like to see another one as an adult and before I drop dead.

Reactions: Beacon Isles

Beacon Isles

Feb 20, 2015
Beacon, NY
Id rather not win than buy championships. I dont see how theres satisfaction behind those.

I dont like the idea of buying championships either, but MLB has set the parameters - other than the luxury tax hit, teams that spend money have more success. Either that, or draft really well and steal signs :)

If the choice is between Freddy "Coupons" Wilpon and his cheapness, vs what we assume Cohen will do as the soon to be richest owner in MLB (think about that for a minute as a Mets fan!), I'll take the latter every day.

Still have to spend money wisely, which has been the Mets issue at times, but there should soon be no reason to lose out on a player because of money alone...

crasherino

May 9, 2013
That's because you've never experienced it. I understand the romance of winning a championship with a home-grown team, but goddamn it, a championship is a championship. And as a Islanders/Mets fan, I'd like to see another one as an adult and before I drop dead.
As Mets fans, we'll definitely enjoy our next Championship more than the Yankees enjoy theirs. I mean, in theory anyway....

Beacon Isles

Feb 20, 2015
Beacon, NY
Not a sexy pickup but he has some upside. I didn't realize that he was already 28, but he could surprise people if he gets the chance. Him getting the starting CF gig, is unspectacular though and means that JD Davis will not be in the lineup unless a lefty is pitching.

The Mets roster has them in a bit of a pickle. Either have a weak defensive OF with Conforto/Nimmo in CF and JD Davis in left or have a weak bat in there with Marisnick in CF. Trading for Marte was the other option, I guess but they really didnt have the chips for that at this point. I guess it will play out over the season as to who gets the playing time. Maybe its a good thing to have Dom Smith and Davis coming off the bench????

Agreed. Prior years decisions have put the Mets OF in a strange spot. Assuming Cespedes comes back, you've got him, Conforto, JD Davis, Nimmo, and even Smith and McNeil who can all play corner spots but no one is really a good defensive CF. Marisnick is a one year rental that came cheap, and hopefully they can readdress the position in a year. That Cano deal compounded the issue as well, forcing some of those guys to the bench and/or the OF. Im assuming McNeil will be the full time 3B, but man, no if no Cano, McNeil could be at 2B and Davis at 3B, with Cespedes, Marisnick/Nimmo, and Conforto in the OF.

Reactions: crasherino

Beacon Isles

Feb 20, 2015
Beacon, NY

Im with you. Ive seen 4 Cups and 1 World Series win before the age of 13. 0 Jets Super Bowls. Zilch as an adult

A guy like Cohen could be the Mets Ledecky and Malkin. Not necessarily buying players and a championship per se, but spending money on real GMs and managers and coaches, and scouting, and all the other stuff that the Wilpons probably skimped on.

Reactions: bigtim1988

Lame Lambert

Fire Lou
Mar 5, 2015
I dont like the idea of buying championships either, but MLB has set the parameters - other than the luxury tax hit, teams that spend money have more success. Either that, or draft really well and steal signs :)

If the choice is between Freddy "Coupons" Wilpon and his cheapness, vs what we assume Cohen will do as the soon to be richest owner in MLB (think about that for a minute as a Mets fan!), I'll take the latter every day.

Still have to spend money wisely, which has been the Mets issue at times, but there should soon be no reason to lose out on a player because of money alone...
The Mets don’t spend wisely because they’re cheap. Instead of giving $150M to a player that actually deserves it they’d rather pay 3 washed up vets $50M each.

Strummergas

Regular User
Sep 3, 2006
Queens, NY
Im with you. Ive seen 4 Cups and 1 World Series win before the age of 13. 0 Jets Super Bowls. Zilch as an adult

A guy like Cohen could be the Mets Ledecky and Malkin. Not necessarily buying players and a championship per se, but spending money on real GMs and managers and coaches, and scouting, and all the other stuff that the Wilpons probably skimped on.

At least you have that. I was 9 when the Mets last won. My memories of the 4th Islanders cup are vague to say the least.

BrockLobster

Feb 11, 2013
Long Beach, NY

Its not the FA signing that bugs me. It is what it is. Its buying a guy you cant beat. Comes off very bush league to me. And id never be satisfied with a win like that..

BrockLobster

Feb 11, 2013
Long Beach, NY
Agreed. Prior years decisions have put the Mets OF in a strange spot. Assuming Cespedes comes back, you've got him, Conforto, JD Davis, Nimmo, and even Smith and McNeil who can all play corner spots but no one is really a good defensive CF. Marisnick is a one year rental that came cheap, and hopefully they can readdress the position in a year. That Cano deal compounded the issue as well, forcing some of those guys to the bench and/or the OF. Im assuming McNeil will be the full time 3B, but man, no if no Cano, McNeil could be at 2B and Davis at 3B, with Cespedes, Marisnick/Nimmo, and Conforto in the OF.

That cano deal is trainwreck. I hated it the moment it happened.

Phil120362

Dec 29, 2018
That cano deal is trainwreck. I hated it the moment it happened.
Yeah,it looks like that Diaz is a bust...it's great that Brody Zolkswaginen wanted to make a big splash....just gotta make sure you're at the department end of the pool....smh

Islesfan22

Jan 15, 2013
Rockland
If this Cohen guy actually buys the Mets maybe I’ll actually go buy tickets and watch a game. Will wait and see if he finally puts money into the team and not act like a small market. I’ll watch the Mets only to see Alonso and McNeil but I have not watched a full game since they lost the World Series. Used to watch a lot of the games in the 80s and when Piazza was here.

Reactions: bigtim1988

Islesfan22

Jan 15, 2013
Rockland
that would be amazing, I can't stand the freaking wilponzis. Once I read that article in sports illustrated, and fred was gloating about how they thought they would make money off the Bobby Bo deal with the returns from Madoff, I lost a lot of interest in the team. That really annoyed the **** out of me.

There was a point in my life were I loved the mets as much--maybe even more so--as the islanders, but once I read that article, I knew that Wilponzi cared more about revenue, more than fielding a consistently good baseball team. I also found it extremely annoying that his buddy Selig didn't force a sale of the team at the time.
That’s because there good friends hence why Alderson was put there a moneyball guy. The 86 Mets to me nothing will ever top that season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad