Metro Seattle: NHL, NBA and Arena - Part V

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dowisetrepla

Apr 29, 2009
Washington State
While expansion can serve as a solution to some problems you gotta ask your self a question if it's the right solution. An expansion won't stop teams like Coyotes from bleeding money. It won't solve the upcoming Islanders arena issues, it won't pull out NJDevils out of potential BK...it could make things just worse.

Oh I agree expansion has inherent risks. But it may well be the means to get a NHL team in the Seattle market.

powerstuck

Nordiques Hopes Lies
Jan 13, 2012
Town NHL hates !
Oh I agree expansion has inherent risks. But it may well be the means to get a NHL team in the Seattle market.

My answer was more to people that plan an immediate expansion. I don't see it until NHL gets done with other problems (like Phoenix). If Phoenix doesn't move, both Quebec and Seattle are candidates for expansion (as probably a few other cities).

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
My answer was more to people that plan an immediate expansion. I don't see it until NHL gets done with other problems (like Phoenix). If Phoenix doesn't move, both Quebec and Seattle are candidates for expansion (as probably a few other cities).

Well, you do have to remember that essentially every single expansion that the league has undertaken since 1967 has been done with one, and often more than one, troubled team in the league already. Fixing currently existing troubled markets before expanding into new ones just hasn't been the ethos of the league the last couple decades, and I don't see that changing now.

As for potential candidates, I do agree that Seattle and Quebec City would be the frontrunners, though you can bet that the league would receive expansion proposals from Markham, Hamilton, Saskatoon, Vegas, Kansas City, Houston, and likely several other markets like maybe Portland, Hampton Roads, and Hartford, though that's not to say that all would be equal.

If I honestly had to rank them, I'd guess....

1) Quebec City
2) Seattle
3) Houston

.... in terms of likelihood in winning an expansion team in the near immediate future, and I don't see Markham or Hamilton getting teams despite almost assuredly being more prepared for one than a couple (if not all three) of the frontrunners I mentioned in a few years just due to opposition from the Leafs (and Sabres for Hamilton).

And I know that Houston doesn't have an ownership group in place, but it's way too massive and wealthy of a market for the league to keep ignoring and I don't have any doubt that a multi-year expansion process would give them time to scrounge together an ownership group in that market.

aqib

Feb 13, 2012
As for potential candidates, I do agree that Seattle and Quebec City would be the frontrunners, though you can bet that the league would receive expansion proposals from Markham, Hamilton, Saskatoon, Vegas, Kansas City, Houston, and likely several other markets like maybe Portland, Hampton Roads, and Hartford, though that's not to say that all would be equal.

Stop mentioning Saskatoon. Just stop it. Stop it now. You would have to triple the population just to get to the level of being the smallest market in the NHL.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
Stop mentioning Saskatoon. Just stop it. Stop it now. You would have to triple the population just to get to the level of being the smallest market in the NHL.

I said that the league would get a proposal from Saskatoon, not that Saskatoon would be seriously considered by the league. There's a tad bit of a difference, which should've been obvious as I did immediately mention that not all would be treated equally by the league.

There's little doubt in my mind that when the league officially starts the expansion consideration process in 201X, they'll get a proposal from a Saskatoon-based ownership group, to which the league will listen politely, go through the motions, tell them that they'll be considered, laugh their butts off and immediately cross them off the list as soon as they leave, and then announce other finalists instead while thanking all the great cities that applied but just didn't make the illustrious final cut.

aqib

Feb 13, 2012
I said that the league would get a proposal from Saskatoon, not that Saskatoon would be seriously considered by the league. There's a tad bit of a difference, which should've been obvious as I did immediately mention that not all would be treated equally by the league.

There's little doubt in my mind that when the league officially starts the expansion consideration process in 201X, they'll get a proposal from a Saskatoon-based ownership group, to which the league will listen politely, go through the motions, tell them that they'll be considered, laugh their butts off and immediately cross them off the list as soon as they leave, and then announce other finalists instead while thanking all the great cities that applied but just didn't make the illustrious final cut.

True but we must most give a potential Saskatoon bid even the shred of credibility that its mere mention on these boards provides. Now lets move the Coyotes to QC, give Seattle an expansion team and let Hamilton and Markham compete for the other expansion team. Whichever of the two don't win the expansion team can get the Islanders. At which point all is right with the world.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
True but we must most give a potential Saskatoon bid even the shred of credibility that its mere mention on these boards provides. Now lets move the Coyotes to QC, give Seattle an expansion team and let Hamilton and Markham compete for the other expansion team. Whichever of the two don't win the expansion team can get the Islanders. At which point all is right with the world.

eh, agree to disagree. Mentioning Saskatoon in the same breath as Vegas and Hartford and the Hampton Roads as a locality likely to present an expansion bid to the NHL in a few years seems reasonable, as they're all talked about markets that have voiced their interest in the past (with Saskatoon especially getting some media coverage in the past year about wanting a team, albeit fraught with strong hints of incredulity at the mere possibility), but don't seem at all likely to actually be awarded a franchise. I was just pointing out that probably a decent number of cities would have potential ownership groups express at least a formal interest in having a team in their market, Saskatoon being one of them.

The fact that it's been so long since the last expansion cements the likelihood of that happening. Wouldn't be surprised if every city I mentioned above present expansion bids and several other ones not even considered also step forward with offers, too.

CBCnutcase

Sep 11, 2007

If I honestly had to rank them, I'd guess....

1) Quebec City
2) Seattle
3) Houston

.... in terms of likelihood in winning an expansion team in the near immediate future,

And I know that Houston doesn't have an ownership group in place, but it's way too massive and wealthy of a market for the league to keep ignoring and I don't have any doubt that a multi-year expansion process would give them time to scrounge together an ownership group in that market.
I'd put Portland as #4 on the depth chart.

kdb209

Jan 26, 2005
And why is that? What is so special about him?

Besides the fact that he was Microsoft's co-founder along with Bill Gates.

- He's #48 on the Forbes' Billionaires List @ $15.2B - behind only David Thomson among individual NHL owners.
- He owns the Rose Garden - an NHL ready arena which seats 18,280 for hockey.
- He owns the NBA Trail Blazers.
- He has connections with AEG - who manage operations of the Rose Garden.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
Paul allen doesn't want a NHL team though he doesn't want competition. He almost prevented MLS going to Portland.

kdb209

Jan 26, 2005
Paul allen doesn't want a NHL team though he doesn't want competition. He almost prevented MLS going to Portland.

That's why I said "If Paul Allen ...".

Paul Allen seemed to have had an antipathy to the NHL in the 90's - if he had wanted one, he certainly would have gotten one in the 90's expansions - but he was reportedly in talks with the NHL about the Pens in '99 and reportedly had a Plan B deal in place in '01 if the sale of the Coyotes from Burke to Ellman had fallen through.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
And why is that? What is so special about him?

Money + experience owning professional sports teams already (Seattle Seahawks, Portland Trail Blazers, and Seattle Sounders) + ownership of a more than suitable venue (Rose Garden seats almost 18,300 for hockey).

But, as others have said, it's a mighty big if. Personal concerns I may have with the sustainability of the NHL and NBA in a market as small as Portland (it would be the smallest by far with both an NBA and NHL team) aside, if he even hinted at being interested, the NHL would come faster than you possibly believe.

Hull and Oates

May 8, 2012
St. Louis

From what I have read, Saskatchewan has roughly the same population as Manitoba, just not as centralized. Even Mark Chipman has quietly praised the idea..

Mr. T

Feb 15, 2003
And yeah what does it change. NHL is full of very rich guys.

Because the guy has enough influence in Portland to get it done by himself. Hell, he could tear down the Rose Garden, build a brand new arena and pay whatever fee the league asks without breaking a sweat.

How could the NHL turn down such a financially stable owner?

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
From what I have read, Saskatchewan has roughly the same population as Manitoba, just not as centralized. Even Mark Chipman has quietly praised the idea..

Yes but remember Saskatchewan is bigger than Washington (state), Oregon and Idaho (3 of the biggest states) COMBINED...that's a lot of ground to cover. The two "major" population centers are almost 3 hours away in good summer weather, nevermind the blizzards and ice in winter (when hockey games are played). There is no chance, none WHATSOEVER, that a team will land in Saskatoon, unless the city magically triples it's population overnight. Then lands a slew of large corporations moving into the area. Not gonna happen.

Feb 7, 2012
Seattle
Conlin putting his foot in his mouth might have actually backfired, now you have council members up in arms, and Conlin's email was so filled with errors, it totally makes his argument mute.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
Conlin putting his foot in his mouth might have actually backfired, now you have council members up in arms, and Conlin's email was so filled with errors, it totally makes his argument mute.

i would not be surprised if it ends up being 8-1 in favor cause of Conlin.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad