Methot is going to be amazing

simplefan

May 25, 2008
He's a 27 year old experienced NHL defenseman. He's 6'3 225lbs. So he's a big man but he's way more physical than Kuba. He's gonna bring the big hits, the hip checks back to Ottawa. He's gonna bring a defensive dimension that we lacked since Volchenkov left Ottawa.

What I always saw is that although he's not a point producer, he's very mobile for a defensive defenseman and he can handle the puck quite well.

So I view him as an upgrade on Kuba. And that pairing with Karlsson will be crucial to Ottawa success.

To people worrying about Cowen abscence, we have Methot who will get the job done.

H2O

Sep 18, 2005
OP is as excited as Methot being here. I do think he'll be good as well. I love what he said about knowing his job here is to protect Karlsson.

Lyndon Slewidge

Aug 1, 2011
My only concern is how much his game will compliment Karlssons, definitely doesn't have as much offensive touch as Kuba

General Granny*

I watched him closely at today's practice and was very surprised at how he handles the puck and his offensive tools, I thought he was just going to be another more mobile Philips with stone hands and tunnel vision but he was working that PP without Karlsson beautifully, nice headfakes and back hand passes, he looked great.

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
I'll wait to see him actually play before passing any judgement, but I absolutely agree that he's (supposedly) bringing back a dimension we've lacked for years.

As long as he doesnt handle the puck like a grenade, or lack mobility, then I think he'll be great here. Very excited to see how it works out. Im betting he excels in this new role he's being given.

TheBradyBunch

Dec 17, 2008
I dunno, I've seen almost 7 different stats indicating he is nothing more than an ineffective #5...

internetdotcom

11 + 15 + 19 = 666
Jun 23, 2009
Capital O
My only concern is how much his game will compliment Karlssons, definitely doesn't have as much offensive touch as Kuba

Doesn't have to. By all accounts, his offensive skills are underrated, and what skills he does have should be brought out by Karlsson. But even if he is just a defensive rock who protects Karlsson and allows him the freedom to work his magic while knowing the back end is taken care of, I'm happy.

I watched him closely at today's practice and was very surprised at how he handles the puck and his offensive tools, I thought he was just going to be another more mobile Philips with stone hands and tunnel vision but he was working that PP without Karlsson beautifully, nice headfakes and back hand passes, he looked great.

Hmm, great to know, thanks for the update.

simplefan

May 25, 2008
I'll wait to see him actually play before passing any judgement, but I absolutely agree that he's (supposedly) bringing back a dimension we've lacked for years.

As long as he doesnt handle the puck like a grenade, or lack mobility, then I think he'll be great here. Very excited to see how it works out. Im betting he excels in this new role he's being given.

I've seen him play in Columbus and the WC's and he's always a strong player. He doesn't look like he's giving much space to players. He could be suspended too once or twice this season.

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
should be a great fit for karlsson.

Important to note that methot is not only more physical than kuba but is a lot more physical than kuba.

this is a new start for a home town boy. the guy must be super pumped to get this going and impress.

sg58

Jul 15, 2008
I love how "he could be suspended once or twice" is brought up as a strong point.

SilverSeven

Apr 16, 2007
Ottawa, Ontario

He was ridiculously gifted offensively in minor hockey. Its been a long time, but I believe he was playing F back then....

slamigo

Skate or Die!
Dec 25, 2007
Ottawa
Ladies and gentlemen, the AMAZING METHOT!
AmazingMethot_zps0c4b3f9f.jpg

John Holmes*

All you stats nerds that are picking apart Methot's numbers in freaking Columbus...please do yourselves a favor and go look at Zdeno Chara's numbers the last year he played in Long Island, then look at his numbers the first year he played in Ottawa.

Notice anything?

I saw a few Methot highlights when the trade was made. A few big hip checks, and one nice pinch that he scored on.

The guy has the ability, now he has the opportunity.

He'll be paired with the best D in the league. He'll be on the ice with guys that can and will score a lot.

All he has to do is play his role and know when to jump in, and when to hang back.

I think this trade MAY eventually shut the people still crying over the glorified 3rd line winger that is Nick Foligno, the hell up.

You're welcome.

inthewings

Jul 26, 2005
He's probably a good #4/5 type. It's concerning that he'll be expected to play huge ES time as Karlsson's partner though. Hopefully he's up to it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad