Methot is going to be amazing

Mercurial

#lalala
Oct 29, 2009
My only concern is how much his game will compliment Karlssons, definitely doesn't have as much offensive touch as Kuba

I'll wait to see him actually play before passing any judgement, but I absolutely agree that he's (supposedly) bringing back a dimension we've lacked for years.

As long as he doesnt handle the puck like a grenade, or lack mobility, then I think he'll be great here. Very excited to see how it works out. Im betting he excels in this new role he's being given.

All he has to do is get the puck and pass it to EK. This is pretty much all Kuba ended up doing through the last half of the year. EK gets open in his own zone very well, making the pass a lot simpler too.

TSA0402

Apr 4, 2011
Ottawa
I would be very disappointed if he at least didnt become a decent #4 defenseman here or a mainstay. But he can do much more.

He hasn't had much talent to work with in Columbus on the defensive end for the past couple years(until after his injury). Much easier playing when you pass the puck to Jason Spezza or Daniel Alfredsson who create much more offense, as opposed to the standard Columbus dump in, line change/turnover.

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com
He was ridiculously gifted offensively in minor hockey. Its been a long time, but I believe he was playing F back then....

Maybe, but I know that he was my buddies d partner way back in AAA here in Ottawa. He was always a smaller guy with lots of offensive skill, and great skating were his trademarks.

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
All he has to do is get the puck and pass it to EK. This is pretty much all Kuba ended up doing through the last half of the year. EK gets open in his own zone very well, making the pass a lot simpler too.

Kuba got waaaaaaay too much credit last season for being the lucky sob who got to ride Karlsson's coattails imo. While he was good at times, all Karlsson needed was someone who was adequate, and thats all Kuba was for the most part. Im still glad Murray didnt give him the term or money he got.

Again while EK and Kuba were good defensively at times, I would argue they were closer to just "adequate". They were both more offense oriented kind of players, but still made it work as a top pairing D unit.

In theory (which of course is far from a sure thing), Methot is a perfect partner for Karlsson. Big, strong, mobile guy who (by all accounts so far) can handle the puck and read the play, but knows his role on the ice. This could be a killer top pairing if it works out like it does in theory.

Last edited:

Stassino

Oct 15, 2007
Ottawa, On
He was ridiculously gifted offensively in minor hockey. Its been a long time, but I believe he was playing F back then....

Umm .. What level of hockey are you talking about? In juniors he never hit more then 16 pts.. This is not meant to be an insult.. He will be an amazing addition to our team without any doubt

Senscore

Let's keep it cold
Nov 19, 2012
Andy Sutton was awesome here.

Andy Sutton was awesome in that half-second it took to demolish someone and during that post game interview where he demanded to know the credentials of a reporter.

So that's like 20 good seconds.

The entire rest of the time he was awful.

Minister of Offence

Oct 2, 2009
www.chadhargrove.com
Kuba got waaaaaaay too much credit last season for being the lucky sob you got to ride Karlsson's coattails imo. While he was good at times, all Karlsson needed was someone who was adequate, and thats all Kuba was for the most part. Im still glad Murray didnt give him the term or money he got.

Again while EK and Kuba were good defensively at times, I would argue they were closer to just "adequate". They were both more offense oriented kind of players, but still made it work as a top pairing D unit.

In theory (which of course is far from a sure thing), Methot is a perfect partner for Karlsson. Big, strong, mobile guy who (by all accounts so far) can handle the puck and read the play, but knows his role on the ice. This could be a killer top pairing if it works out like it does in theory.

True. He was just a massive upgrade from the guy that he was a year before, broken and all. He didn't suck at all last year. Team will need more than that from another 25 min DMan. Chances are that'll be Cowen before methot. I like methot, but team probably isn't going far if he's playing 25+ a night.

Then again, if he's adequate, ek may take care of business.

Last edited:

John Holmes*

Not completely accurate, he did destroy Jordan Leopold before reverting back to suckitude.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
I dunno, I've seen almost 7 different stats indicating he is nothing more than an ineffective #5...

Lmao, post of the year candidate.

All you stats nerds that are picking apart Methot's numbers in freaking Columbus...please do yourselves a favor and go look at Zdeno Chara's numbers the last year he played in Long Island, then look at his numbers the first year he played in Ottawa.

Notice anything?

I saw a few Methot highlights when the trade was made. A few big hip checks, and one nice pinch that he scored on.

The guy has the ability, now he has the opportunity.

He'll be paired with the best D in the league. He'll be on the ice with guys that can and will score a lot.

All he has to do is play his role and know when to jump in, and when to hang back.

I think this trade MAY eventually shut the people still crying over the glorified 3rd line winger that is Nick Foligno, the hell up.

You're welcome.

Agreed with everything here.

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
True. He was just a massive upgrade from the guy that he was a year before, broken and all. He didn't suck at all last year. Team will need more than that from another 25 min DMan. Chances are that'll be Cowen before methot. I like methot, but team probably isn't going far if he's playing 25+ a night.

Then again, if he's adequate, ek may take care of business.

Its true its a lot to expect from Methot, but I honestly think EK will make just about anybody look decent. If we let Methot settle into that role for a few seasons, that would be a great thing for Cowen. I think Cowen would be better off anchoring his own line, and let him develop the offensive potential that he has in him instead of being the defensive plug that EK should have beside him.

Dont get me wrong, I think its inevitable that Cowen and EK pair up permanently at some point. I just really hope Methot can play that role a while until Cowen is playing at his potential.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
All you stats nerds that are picking apart Methot's numbers in freaking Columbus...please do yourselves a favor and go look at Zdeno Chara's numbers the last year he played in Long Island, then look at his numbers the first year he played in Ottawa.

Notice anything?

I saw a few Methot highlights when the trade was made. A few big hip checks, and one nice pinch that he scored on.

The guy has the ability, now he has the opportunity.

He'll be paired with the best D in the league. He'll be on the ice with guys that can and will score a lot.

All he has to do is play his role and know when to jump in, and when to hang back.

I think this trade MAY eventually shut the people still crying over the glorified 3rd line winger that is Nick Foligno, the hell up.

You're welcome.

Not to mention we replaced Foligno with a guy who, for 2/3rds the cost, should replace Foligno's offense almost completely (if healthy). And Latendresse is the EXACT SAME AGE as Folingo, so we're not even losing out on the "age" argument.

It's basically like adding a free Methot. I don't see what people have their panties in a knot about either.

Quo

Mar 22, 2012
Hamsterdam
Not to mention we replaced Foligno with a guy who, for 2/3rds the cost, should replace Foligno's offense almost completely (if healthy). And Latendresse is the EXACT SAME AGE as Folingo, so we're not even losing out on the "age" argument.

It's basically like adding a free Methot. I don't see what people have their panties in a knot about either.

Yup.

I liked the trade then and still do.

The main caveat with Latendresse is durablity though. He's been like the Rick DiPietro of forwards the last two years. Hope he can stay healthy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad