Post-Game Talk: Merry Chiamas!

RegDunlop

Nov 5, 2016
Edmonton
I never complained, I said the book is out, and it is

If it is... then I'll wait for the book.

Shoot high glove side is supposed to be some secret to scoring???
It's only been preached by ... I dont know... EVERY team in the last decade or more.
The trial secret is to
A- get into a position to do that
B- get the shot off cleanly
C- have the ability and strength with that shot to beat the goalie
D- hit the area you are aiming for.

Of course much more variables involved, but what team dosent try to shoot high on all these butterfly goalies?
Its a lot easier said than done.

RegDunlop

Nov 5, 2016
Edmonton
It sounds like he’s pointing the finger squarely at his GM to find him some players. But his GM has managed to cap the team out and thinks he has assembled a solid team.

Yes to me too.
I interpret his answers as a coach that is saying - look I have fixed things that I can, but this is probably as good as it gets, as far as it goes, without some help.

And that should be music to all our ears!

RegDunlop

Nov 5, 2016
Edmonton
Hope you don't mind some difference of opinion on the bolded. But part of this is Hitch's fault in lineup and player usage. In the last game his presser is stating that he has to stop putting players in the lineup that won't be getting minutes. That he needs to select a better lineup. He has to have players that will play.

So in the very next game he selects Spooner and Zykov to be forwards in the lineup. They get a predictable 7 and 6mins expectedly, although both manage to be on ice for a GA in that brief time and a-1.

Rattie, again, who Hitch seeminly hates, is not even in the lineup

Caggiulia, who just weeks ago looked like the hardest working energy forward on the club had 9mins. That's it.

hitch also insists dressing dead Garrison over Wideman, and against the fastest team in the league.

Hitch made every bad lineup decision he could make in this game. While I agree the roster needs more help, I get that, I don't absolve Hitch for ****ty game day roster and player usage decisions. Its also Hitch's fault that McDrai were overutilized in minutes so many games.

Lastly Draisaitl, on his own last night, carrying deadwood around, plays 22mins last night and with 2 on pk. Amazingly he's an even player on the night until the empty net goal. But this is misuse in anycase.

This cannot be ignored.
While I love him I certainly haven't understood some decisions Hitch has made recently.

RegDunlop

Nov 5, 2016
Edmonton
Nice post, and thanks for not going at me.

Its a controversial point I raise, I know.

That said I'm consistently a purist and believe in 5 man unit coverage. Games like this which we give up constant outmanned line rushes to the best team in the world blow my mind. Regardless of teams this played right into the game the lightning would want to play.

lets track backwards to the Oilers years of lore. When we were chronically winning games 7-3 was it more valiant to be an opponent losing a game 3-2 or even occasionally beating us or getting blown up and allowing 7, 8, 9 goals?

The Oilers are playing on the wrong side of he equation. Their overconfidence in their own ability diminished their focus in playing the best team in hockey. Watch the replay of Nuge's first period goal. He's so full of himself after that goal he thinks its going to be easy. Its the only moment in the game Nuge was laughing. He was horrible the rest of the way. That goal btw was created by Pulju's hard work in stripping a puck. Earlier in the same shift just 10 secs before McD/Nuge had already given the puck away up high. That was portent of things to come the rest of the game.

I'm sorry.
I have to call you out on this post of yours. With due respect, I find it ridiculous!

I cant help but think, if it was Drai that was on the line and scored, you would have been singing his praises!

Dont really understand your feelings on Nuge.
I saw him have an average game for his standards, yes he didnt get back on one goal, but he certainly wasnt one of the players I'd deem detrimental to winning that game. He rarely is.

RegDunlop

Nov 5, 2016
Edmonton
Its like every single one of their draft picks turns to gold. Quite impressive actually. Problem with that is now they have all come to Pay Day at the same time. With Tavares costing 11 mill, Nylander costing 7 and Marleau costing 6 they are in some trouble. Gardiner, Matthews, Marners and Kapanen all on a contract year. That is when Eberle for strome deals happen. Goodluck Toronto!

Please understand this first.
I despise Calgary. And I dont like Toronti very much.

But that said, I think its absurd that they will be in this predicament very soon. Yes foresight is everything and many knew that with the Tavates signing that difficulties would / could be upcoming. But the salary cap shouldn't hamper what a team us trying to build. I believe its intention is to simply stop richer teams from obtaining as much talent as possible regardless of whether they fit in or not. Thys leaving the poor and unwashed (!) teams with the scraps.

Building a team with cohesion and chemistry should be treated not penalized.
There are of course exceptions so I'm not sure how firm I am in this belief. I dont know what TBs cap looks like in the near future but they are definitely a team well built currently.

RegDunlop

Nov 5, 2016
Edmonton
This year they are cup contenders. Fantastic team. Again I ask how do they stay contenders shelling out 30+ million for three players this off season?

If they happen to win, do you think they care?
Dynasties are almost impossible now. To sustain and compete is the goal. When you have the horses - and they do - you go for it.

Reactions: SavesFromKosko

RegDunlop

Nov 5, 2016
Edmonton
You’re acting like a child. If Talbot was in net and had a .880 save % as Kos did last night the pitchforks would be out on this board. I stated the book is out on him and he hasn’t played well lately so take your little tantrums somewhere else

Too funny!
You cant post or argue properly so you get pissed off then say that I'm acting like a child? Nice!

I have no problem with Talbot. Why'd you bring him up? If he played the same game Mikko just did I would have said the same thing.

If you think Mikko Koskinens performance as an Edmonton Oiker at any point thusfar, save for preseason, has been anything less than stellar, you not only are acting like an imbecile, but you are seriously demented in your views and knowledge of the sport.

Tantrum over for now!

RegDunlop

Nov 5, 2016
Edmonton
I will say one thing about our running d out of town reputation: if the d man is struggling playing over their heads like regdunlop says Nurse is playing, then their evil ****ing agents need to not ask for top pairing money. Nurse's agent and therefore Nurse himself are going to be asking for the moon because he played poorly above his head temporarily replacing much better dmen. Nurse has not proven anything on this bridge except that he can tread water as a #4. I hope they remember that come contract time.

Fair point.

I am oblivious to salaries and their impact admittedly.
I only think about the on ice performance.
I should consider all aspects before forming my opinions, but I guess I'm just old school and simply go by what I see.

I do see his performance as better than a lot on here give him credit for though.

Messrules11

6 Cups, elbows up.
Nov 23, 2018
If it is... then I'll wait for the book.

Shoot high glove side is supposed to be some secret to scoring???
It's only been preached by ... I dont know... EVERY team in the last decade or more.
The trial secret is to
A- get into a position to do that
B- get the shot off cleanly
C- have the ability and strength with that shot to beat the goalie
D- hit the area you are aiming for.

Of course much more variables involved, but what team dosent try to shoot high on all these butterfly goalies?
Its a lot easier said than done.
Maybe you should tell the Oilers this. Half their shots miss the net or hit the goalie square in the chest. When a 6’7” goalie gets beat upstairs it’s not a good thing. He looked terrible on the Kucherov goal, must’ve forgot to bang his posts cuz he gave him half the net on that one

RegDunlop

Nov 5, 2016
Edmonton
Maybe you should tell the Oilers this. Half their shots miss the net or hit the goalie square in the chest. When a 6’7” goalie gets beat upstairs it’s not a good thing. He looked terrible on the Kucherov goal, must’ve forgot to bang his posts cuz he gave him half the net on that one

But I contest that you dont even consider giving the shooter credit.
There us a reason Stamkos is a high profile star in the league.

Do you think when other goalies (who are all within inches of him) get beat by fantastic shots from pure snipers, that thier fan base chides them for it?
I find it ridiculous. Other goals against can be criticized for sure, but those two snipes? Not to me.

Garbo Man

Meh
Oct 15, 2017
Sherwood Park

When you let Stamkos or Kucherov have an eternity to pick their spot they'll score 9 times out of 10. They both have an elite shot and i'd bet my life that under 5% of the goalies in this league stop either of those shots. They had so much time and space to pick a spot it was embarassing. Kucherov should've never had that breakaway but Nurse decided to basically take a wrist shot at Pulju instead of getting it deep and NO ONE contested Stamkos when he was just allowed to walk in and pick which ever corner he fancied.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007

I mean the bottom line is you give Kucherov and Stamkos those shots in those positions on the ice and they're going to bury them 75% of the time no matter who the goalie is.

Reactions: Oilhawks and TB12

Mez

Nov 16, 2017
The definition of insanity...

Oilers fans have run so many defenseman out of town and they keep on doing it. When Jones and Bouchard and Bear stumble, and they will (because some fans expect them to come in and be world beaters from the word 'go'), they'll be the next ones unfairly criticized and run out of town as well. This cycle keeps on repeating itself over and over.
On the flip side...we have a lot of young defense coming in and we are trash on the wings...makes sense to me to trade a D for a winger.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Of next year.

I am thinking that whatever cursed Lucic's hands happened at Christmas of last year. Maybe it is only a year long curse and he is back to getting 15-20 a year starting Dec 27. :crossfing
Maybe his kid is really in his body like that Disney movie and they are able to reverse it. :dooney:

Either way I told my wife all I want for Christmas is the old Milan Lucic back, not old Milan Lucic...

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
Lol defending talbot but bashing Koskinens play. Now I have seen everything.

Reactions: TB12

BlackDogg

perpetuum defectum
Oct 3, 2015
I am thinking that whatever cursed Lucic's hands happened at Christmas of last year. Maybe it is only a year long curse and he is back to getting 15-20 a year starting Dec 27. :crossfing
Maybe his kid is really in his body like that Disney movie and they are able to reverse it. :dooney:

Either way I told my wife all I want for Christmas is the old Milan Lucic back, not old Milan Lucic...
I never thought of that - or maybe its an 80 year old man in his body. Hmmm...

Reactions: 5 Mins 4 Ftg

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I mean the bottom line is you give Kucherov and Stamkos those shots in those positions on the ice and they're going to bury them 75% of the time no matter who the goalie is.

Cough Talbot. But the double standard is when the Oilers completely abandon Talbot, and he can't make the stops, its his fault. When Koski is put in the similar position its "no goalie can save that".

Talbot as a goalie already knows what it feels like when he sees the team in front of him completely abandoning the game plan. When incoming are going to be on the menu and theres going to be little preventing that.

As fans of this team we know full well there is a lack of playing for each other through hardship and that what instead arises is players being abandoned because others have checked out in different games. A longstanding Oilers story that persists. I said I wouldn't post in the thread anymore but I'll say it one more time. I find it troubling how quickly the Oilers have now started taking Koski for granted and that he will save their bacon when they are playing undisciplined defensively, positionally, and not having numbers back.

The Oilers forwards in this game, and particularly topline, that should know better, abandoned Koski, and their depleted D in this game. How does that feel in the room, how does it really feel for players?

Its a team sport. The Oilers D, facing injuries and 3 players out of the lineup would undeniably have trepidation about this game. How couldn't they? That fear would rise as they get exposed to untenable situations with odd man rushes and breaks dealing with a team that rips apart D anyway, for fun. It would have been kind for the forwards on this team to SUPPORT Koski and the D in this game. As part of a team sport that would have been the right thing to do. To have numbers back. Not abandon other facets of the team. This is a team sport, you don't do that and be a close bonded unit. This had to have been a nightmarish game for the D.

This is the same club that caused a goalie to rage and glare at players on the bench. Something is still wrong. What we saw in the Tampa game is a lack of team support.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad