Post-Game Talk: Merry Chiamas!

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Hypothetically if that did happen, Toronto winning the cup, there would be catastrophic results. The Toronto fans egos would become so instantly over inflated it would disrupt our atmosphere and Earth would spin off its axis. It would be Armageddon. Let's pray that doesn't happen.

... or maybe I'm just being overly dramatic.

Usually Leaf fans are laughably delusional about their teams value and talent, and think they'll win every year. But it's hard to argue that with this bunch, along with the coaching and management, that they don't have a really good chance in the foreseeable future.

Shaquille Oatmeal

Tier 2 Fan
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2015
Usually Leaf fans are laughably delusional about their teams value and talent, and think they'll win every year. But it's hard to argue that with this bunch, along with the coaching and management, that they don't have a really good chance in the foreseeable future.
The fact that this is true is probably what bothers me the most. :laugh: But until they get there I will stick with the generic "let's see you make past the first round" quote.

Edit: The one downfall that I can see is maybe they're not built for playoff hockey. Other than that they're looking golden.

Last edited:
Reactions: TB12

RegDunlop

Nov 5, 2016
Edmonton
Like I've said elsewhere I don't think anybody can endure more than around 16-20 games of McD in a row, at his pace, and players need hyperbaric oxygen chambers for more.. especially with this kind of toi.

That said McD has now seen 17 different players on his line this season. how disgusting is that? An expansion franchise wouldn't do that. I think we hit the record with that one. What other team would have a revolving turnstile of players with McD. At least he knows who McD and Drai are.

****, the club is calling up Yama I think after Xmas. He'll be with McD. Or whoever else Chia can pick up on waivers. ;)

Yup.
Seems to never end. I agree to an extent about not being able to play the minutes McD does. But the lines should be somewhat set for a great period of time, then altered as a good coach should do according to how the game is progressing.

We cant even keep a line together from one practise to the next.

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
This year they are cup contenders. Fantastic team. Again I ask how do they stay contenders shelling out 30+ million for three players this off season?

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
This year they are cup contenders. Fantastic team. Again I ask how do they stay contenders shelling out 30+ million for three players this off season?

They'll be a contender for a long while. They're not successful because of "role players", they're successful because their have like multiple waves of core players that can drive the team.

Tavares + Marner + Reilly + Kadri + Anderson alone would be good enough to be a pretty decent team in the NHL. Probably a playoff team regularly right there.

But they have on top of that Matthews, who's probably better than Tavares and Marner, as well on top of that and oh Nylander too.

They will be able to surround that core with lower cost players if need be and if they really need to trade Nylander for a D, they can do that too.

Having too many good players is a much better problem to have than having too few.

RegDunlop

Nov 5, 2016
Edmonton
Bah. Excuses. That game is on him. Regardless of his old coach he’s still a PROFESSIONAL athlete. No one at that level of sports should let a mistake like that completely derail his game.

I agree with the post you quoted but must admit to believing as you do as well.
There has to be a balance there - and bottom line is it is up to him and no one else.

RegDunlop

Nov 5, 2016
Edmonton
Cags, Puli and Nuge were directly responsible for a goal against. Our forwards were pure garbage tonight. Koskinen didn’t look good either, seems the book is finally out-shoot high

The book is out?
I think a premier sniper like Stamkos should have a library then.

RegDunlop

Nov 5, 2016
Edmonton
I'm one of the biggest Puljujarvi haters here and I disagree. When you are used to one mistake causing your game to either end or ice time drastically cut you start to get into a funk when it happens cause you expect it to happen.

Egg zak Lee

To relate (sort of!), I lost my career a few years ago and had to return to a much much lower salaries job that I used to do 30 years ago.
I had made so many mistakes in my first 3 months that I dreaded even going to work. The fa t that I had excellent bosses who were patient helped me to prevail and be what I knew I had in me. Of course this beniffited me but what is important is how much they understood that by standing by me and nurturing, they reap the benefits as well.

I'm still not sold on Jessie. To me hes a long long shot. But to give up on him would be so foolish when he hasn't been afforded what he needs particularly to succeed. I'm not taking about bending over backward for him, but I am implying that they are not letting him experience stability and a plan.
And that part is on the org.

RegDunlop

Nov 5, 2016
Edmonton
Not just his, the entire team fell off the wagon after that, too. Maybe not Puljus' best moment, but he wasn't alone in the multitude of suck that followed.

That being said, I thought the team was doing very, very well up until that point. They really had it going on in the second before things went south.

I cant help bit think of why he got demoted and why the venom here. Yes it was a devastating mistake that caused a very untimely goal.
But what's lost in all this is that he was having a whale of a game prior to that. And that even includes his other giveaways.
Christ even on the shift where he fumbled the puck, did anyone not see the rush he made just prior to it? Almost scored. And what about his fantastic forechecking to lead to the first goal?

This team is like this board. So quick to react. Let him and everyone else have some stability and if mistakes are made correct them without demoralizing the pnayer and the team by constantly shifting everyone.

Keep in mind I say this from a perspective of being not the biggest Pulji fan.

Reactions: Risingwind

RegDunlop

Nov 5, 2016
Edmonton
I’d trade Nurse and go with

Klef - Larsson
Gravel - Russell
Sekera - Jones

I cant see how people are so done with Nurse. He is playing waaaayyyy above his level and has struggled at times. Hes also played very well. He is not a first paring D yet, but hes also not a bottom pairing, nor should he be traded as he still has an upswing to achieve.

Shaquille Oatmeal

Tier 2 Fan
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2015
I cant see how people are so done with Nurse. He is playing waaaayyyy above his level and has struggled at times. Hes also played very well. He is not a first paring D yet, but hes also not a bottom pairing, nor should he be traded as he still has an upswing to achieve.
I with you man. Let the dude develop. He's going to be a stud in his late 20's. Bouchard too. D takes time and years of experience to develop at the highest level.

RegDunlop

Nov 5, 2016
Edmonton
The book was out the whole time. I was always saying shoot high. Tampa potted 5 on 40shots and Koski got lucky on a few others. That said the Oilers completely abandoned him. Tampa had a lol night as far as being open.

McD wasn't great himself tonight but what a bad look it is having a team that is contributing to Kucherov bagging more pts. **** it was red carpet night the last two periods. Come on down Tampa and score. Our topline has just got Christmas in mind.

I am responding to so many posts today because I cant believe that I watched the same game!

As per usual, Koski had a number of 10 bell saves as well as routine ones. Did everyone see Stsmkos shot? No! No one did! He snipped it and people are pissed at Miko?
Lucky? Cone on.

As far as McD not having a great night- WHAT???
I could care less if he was responsible for a goal if he creates the more than 7 grade A opportunities that I counted.

Christ you of all people say this?
Draisaitl has a stinker of a game, people call him out, and you get miffed because you 'don't slag great pjayers'.

I need to get better glasses I guess!

Messrules11

6 Cups, elbows up.
Nov 23, 2018
The book is out?
I think a premier sniper like Stamkos should have a library then.
He wasn’t good, wasn’t good against Vancouver either. Have a look at his save %, it’s on a steady decline. Teams are figuring him out and it’s obvious

RegDunlop

Nov 5, 2016
Edmonton
Being in a pressure cooker situation in Edmonton also doesn't help. Not that I'm putting any blame on fans, but it's just a reality of the situation. Everything gets magnified, especially the mistakes.

First - dont take this post personally!!

I'm fired up again today over everything it seems!
I'm so fed up with this notion of the fans / media / city / attention or anything else that gets brought up about Edmonton. Of course it's a factor. Of course it's a fishbowl. But it's one of only a handful of things we have. And a very dear and passionate one at that.

I've portrayed my argument before. Its this-
Where would Ronaldo, Choaz, Pele, Beckham and others stars if their sport want to play?
What about Shaq, Dr J, Jordan, etc? All the players in Hof F?

If you truly want to be the best, or amongst the best, you must overcome ALL adversity. That in life's being on the spotlight. That includes taking the bad with the good. That includes being accountable to a demanding public after an emotional loss where you have to describe how those you lead did not perform.

It is what separates the true superstars and greats from the others. And I for one, dont want players and people on my team who are not accepting of that.
I also recognize that even the worst player on any NHL team has had to have been a star at every level of his life to get to where they are. If they choose to not continue in the discipline and fortitude that got them to this achievement, then that is thier prerogative. I simply would rather they take thier ungrateful personalities and collect thier cheques somewhere else.

Reactions: KarmaPolice

Shaquille Oatmeal

Tier 2 Fan
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2015
He wasn’t good, wasn’t good against Vancouver either. Have a look at his save %, it’s on a steady decline. Teams are figuring him out and it’s obvious
He was hung out to dry by the skeleton D corps Oil are running right now. The best goalie in the world is going to let a few in in the same situation. I wouldn't press the panic button just yet.

Reactions: RegDunlop and TB12

Soliloquy of a Dogge

I love you, Boots
Aug 8, 2012
San Diego, CA
The definition of insanity...

Oilers fans have run so many defenseman out of town and they keep on doing it. When Jones and Bouchard and Bear stumble, and they will (because some fans expect them to come in and be world beaters from the word 'go'), they'll be the next ones unfairly criticized and run out of town as well. This cycle keeps on repeating itself over and over.

Messrules11

6 Cups, elbows up.
Nov 23, 2018
He wasnt good in two games missing 2 of our top 3 D?
Christ why hasn't this org traded him or sent him down yet?
You’re acting like a child. If Talbot was in net and had a .880 save % as Kos did last night the pitchforks would be out on this board. I stated the book is out on him and he hasn’t played well lately so take your little tantrums somewhere else

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008

Oilers fans have run so many defenseman out of town and they keep on doing it. When Jones and Bouchard and Bear stumble, and they will (because some fans expect them to come in and be world beaters from the word 'go'), they'll be the next ones unfairly criticized and run out of town as well. This cycle keeps on repeating itself over and over.

Yup, it's the latest shiney new toy syndrome.

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
They'll be a contender for a long while. They're not successful because of "role players", they're successful because their have like multiple waves of core players that can drive the team.

Tavares + Marner + Reilly + Kadri + Anderson alone would be good enough to be a pretty decent team in the NHL. Probably a playoff team regularly right there.

But they have on top of that Matthews, who's probably better than Tavares and Marner, as well on top of that and oh Nylander too.

They will be able to surround that core with lower cost players if need be and if they really need to trade Nylander for a D, they can do that too.

Having too many good players is a much better problem to have than having too few.

Not getting my point at all. Whatever.

T-Funk

Oct 15, 2006
Just turned on my tv and they were replaying the game. Saw the empty netter I missed after doing better things, but Remenda is such an asshole, happy Tampa Bay won. Why cant he just go away.

Reactions: TB12

RegDunlop

Nov 5, 2016
Edmonton

My sentiments exactly.

Even now with Jones seemingly performing above Bear, all the hype and excitement about Bear from last season is gone.
People forget that development means 'time spent learning'. Not everyone is the same.

Nurse, Jones, Bear, Bouchard, and yes even Matt Benning are all young or relatively so. They will only get better with time as none of them is even close to thier peek.

What that ceiling is is debatable, but it is fact that they have room to get to it.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I am responding to so many posts today because I cant believe that I watched the same game!

As per usual, Koski had a number of 10 bell saves as well as routine ones. Did everyone see Stsmkos shot? No! No one did! He snipped it and people are pissed at Miko?
Lucky? Cone on.

As far as McD not having a great night- WHAT???
I could care less if he was responsible for a goal if he creates the more than 7 grade A opportunities that I counted.

Christ you of all people say this?
Draisaitl has a stinker of a game, people call him out, and you get miffed because you 'don't slag great pjayers'.

I need to get better glasses I guess!

If you think that post was slagging Koski you do need better glasses. Where did I even critique his play in that post or fault him. In several posts I stated the Lightning would have scored 10 goals without Koski. I think you tend to look at each post in isolation and not always what is stated in whole.

RegDunlop

Nov 5, 2016
Edmonton
If you think that post was slagging Koski you do need better glasses. Where did I even critique his play in that post or fault him. In several posts I stated the Lightning would have scored 10 goals without Koski. I think you tend to look at each post in isolation and not always what is stated in whole.

Perhaps I do.

But in fact I took the post more to putting McDavids performance down not Mikos.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad