Post-Game Talk: Merci P.K.! Goal Caufield lights the lamp and Habs win on Subban homecoming night! (Dvo also wins in his 400th game)

Catanddogguitarrr

Jul 3, 2016
Nowhere land
He should use some of that dough on Propecia. Although who am I to say anything, he struck gold with his girlfriend.
I think everything have been said about him. I suggest we leave him alone. He's been a true warrior for us, he injured his body, for the team, for us. Now he's half-done, his popularity dropped a lot and he's overpaid. If this will be a long complain about him for the next 4 years, better slow down a bit cuz it's gonna be looooong.
... my .25 cents, lol.

Reactions: MTL Dirty Birdy

Catanddogguitarrr

Jul 3, 2016
Nowhere land
Why anyone would trade a top 3 blueliner in his prime is beyond reason. Esp when you've got another superstar in his prime on the roster to go along with a good support group - also in their prime.

It was dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb.

And again, for all the 'they are not available' excuses on centers... he had Galchenyuk. He either could've used him there where he'd have been infinitely better than DD. Or he could've traded him for another center. It was just an absolute trainwreck how he handled this club.

I hope he becomes the GM of the Bruins and the Leafs and every other club in the NHL. But my God I hope he never steps foot in Montreal's arena ever again. Garbage GM who hired garbage coaches don't belong here.
Obviously the team didn't have a clear direction. As you mention, there was some options to solve the center position and none were applyed. By luck, Suzuki came, very late, too late. The damage was done and the bad coaches were there for too long.

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
I don't think you'll find a HF poster who hated the fact that PK got traded more than me....

That being said - I don't know how much Bergevin ever had a problem with him per se. To me, it was PK and a few of the players, and especially Therrien....Therrien was the problem.

Bergevin's problem isn't so much that he didn't like PK/wanted him to change - it's more than he picked Therrien over him, when he absolutely shouldn't have.

Bergevin big time showed a lack of leadership, in being incapable of smoothing things over, and being too much of a coward to fire Therrien.

As for Molson? He goes right into that "lacked leadership" category Bergevin is in. So, it's not so much for PK to talk to Molson about how Bergevin treated him, because Bergevin/Molson were in on it together - neither showed the proper leadership necessary to right the ship back then.

Still don't have a problem with Weber - I thought he'd be a solid player for us after trade, and he turned out really good. Trade 100% never should have happened though.

In all my years of watching hockey, I don't know that I've ever seen a more passionate hockey player than Subban - and his passion wasn't just for the game of hockey in general, but specifically for the Habs.
Part of PK died the day he was traded. I believe it was contributing factor in his subsequent decline along with injuries etc. this trade shouldn’t have happened. The bridge shouldn’t have happened, arbitration should have never happened and PK continually rose above it.

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
Part of PK died the day he was traded. I believe it was contributing factor in his subsequent decline along with injuries etc. this trade shouldn’t have happened. The bridge shouldn’t have happened, arbitration should have never happened and PK continually rose above it.
Very possible and I didn't even hate the trade. Still don't. What Weber did in those Finals while being utterly broken was absolutely heroic and if it doesn't quite match up to some of PK's heroics (I'd argue it does) it's at least comparable. I also feel like PK was even declining a bit with us. He was still great after the weight gain but it really slowed him down. Still at the end of the day I kind of agree. Trading him just felt wrong.

I don't even hate MB but I loved seeing the triple low 5 there at the end. Beyond idiotic they cancelled that and it really stuck it to the MB regime.

Catanddogguitarrr

Jul 3, 2016
Nowhere land
Wow. Couldnt't thought of it this way myself, but that's 100% accurate.
He went from hero to martyr to punching bag. It's a sad story.
But not the end of the world. Hockey analysts says a Winning Cup Team can live though one passenger. Let's agree Gallagher will be that passenger in 2026. He'll be on the 4th line, playing 6 minutes and scoring one important goal in the playoffs, one goal that will make the decisive winning goal of the play-offs.

How about we see the future like the story I tell you and we sleep quietly happy with this story in our head.
sleep pic.jpg

MasterD

Giggidy Giggidy Goo
Jul 1, 2004
He went from hero to martyr to punching bag. It's a sad story.
But not the end of the world. Hockey analysts says a Winning Cup Team can live though one passenger. Let's agree Gallagher will be that passenger in 2026. He'll be on the 4th line, playing 6 minutes and scoring one important goal in the playoffs, one goal that will make the decisive winning goal of the play-offs.

How about we see the future like the story I tell you and we sleep quietly happy with this story in our head.
View attachment 634847
You know, a guy that's done is one thing. Shit happens, people grow old.

The problem with Gallagher is he's a moody little *****, constantly whining. Always played like this, whining to the refs, whining about guys pushing him... I never understood why people liked him so much. He got a bad attitude and I don't want him around the young guys.

Catanddogguitarrr

Jul 3, 2016
Nowhere land
You know, a guy that's done is one thing. Shit happens, people grow old.

The problem with Gallagher is he's a moody little *****, constantly whining. Always played like this, whining to the refs, whining about guys pushing him... I never understood why people liked him so much. He got a bad attitude and I don't want him around the young guys.
And today Tatar and Danault are doing well. You know what was said at the time? Gallagher was the motor of that line and anybody saying opposite was bullyed on this board. With Bergevin it was all or nothing. He gave infamous big money to those he liked and for obscure reasons he ignored other players. He got rid of Markov, Radulov and Emelin the same summer. He got rid of Danault and Tatar and replaced them with Dvorak, Perreault and Paquette. He signed Armia and Evans too much money.

Bergevin was like a car with a steering weel broken. By luck the car was going on the road and next time after the car was going in the ditch. Gallagher is the epitome of Bergevin's work.

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
The finality of it really sunk in last night.

I grew old watching those two, I think many other Habs fans who are tuned to posting online would concur. Them walking off together was oddly emotional for me as well.

Yup, it was like a perfect ending to a story and fade to black.

For his fans, regardless of the reasons and history, it was great to finally have closure.

dinodebino

Sep 27, 2017

There are some pretty funny comments on that thread.

Probably telling himself "look at PK, always making it about him".

And completely ignoring the irony.

That scrum was hilarious...at some point Chantal Machabée said "last question" and they all ignored her and kept asking questions lol.

This is a good illustration why there was so much envy towards Subban. He just draws so much attention.

Strong characters aren't affected by this...weak one's.

Well they go to the GM behind the scenes to complain.
Gary Carter was the same and others had the same reaction, Dawson for one. Yet, when the chips had to fall, Carter was clutch and Dawson and Parrish were no-shows. I prefer them clutch, personally.

Reactions: 417 and Runner77

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad