Post-Game Talk: Merci P.K.! Goal Caufield lights the lamp and Habs win on Subban homecoming night! (Dvo also wins in his 400th game)

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
I don't think you'll find a HF poster who hated the fact that PK got traded more than me....

That being said - I don't know how much Bergevin ever had a problem with him per se. To me, it was PK and a few of the players, and especially Therrien....Therrien was the problem.

Bergevin's problem isn't so much that he didn't like PK/wanted him to change - it's more than he picked Therrien over him, when he absolutely shouldn't have.

Bergevin big time showed a lack of leadership, in being incapable of smoothing things over, and being too much of a coward to fire Therrien.

As for Molson? He goes right into that "lacked leadership" category Bergevin is in. So, it's not so much for PK to talk to Molson about how Bergevin treated him, because Bergevin/Molson were in on it together - neither showed the proper leadership necessary to right the ship back then.

Still don't have a problem with Weber - I thought he'd be a solid player for us after trade, and he turned out really good. Trade 100% never should have happened though.

In all my years of watching hockey, I don't know that I've ever seen a more passionate hockey player than Subban - and his passion wasn't just for the game of hockey in general, but specifically for the Habs.

The problem was not even trading Subban. Trading Subban and Patch after the great collapse where it was clear the team was Carey Price was not the issue. The problem is we traded Subban for an old dman who was on the wrong side of the 30 with an awful contract.

Subban should have been traded for a young player and a pick like Patch. Had MB done that we would be in a very good situation atm.

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
Next up - I dreamed of honoring night for Michel Therrien and Bergevin....it looked like this

chute-no-saco-superhomem-superman.gif

Andy

Jun 26, 2008
Montreal
The problem was not even trading Subban. Trading Subban and Patch after the great collapse where it was clear the team was Carey Price was not the issue. The problem is we traded Subban for an old dman who was on the wrong side of the 30 with an awful contract.

Subban should have been traded for a young player and a pick like Patch. Had MB done that we would be in a very good situation atm.
The problem is MB still wanted to win. That's why he went for Weber.

In retrospect, the team never got back to winning regularly. What should have happened is the team should have moved Subban, Markov, Pacioretty, and Price at that time for additional top assets and start from scratch.

We lost Markov, Subban, and Price for nothing in the end. At least we got assets for Pacioretty.

Reactions: Catanddogguitarrr

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada

In retrospect, the team never got back to winning regularly. What should have happened is the team should have moved Subban, Markov, Pacioretty, and Price at that time for additional top assets and start from scratch.

We lost Markov, Subban, and Price for nothing in the end. At least we got assets for Pacioretty.

Well at least he should have taken a direction. Trading one player (Patch) for future and the other (Subban) for present was dumb as hell. If you're going for a retool then go for a retool and trade all of them for guys who can help right now. If you're going for a rebuild then go for a rebuild. Pick a direction. That was the main problem with MB he did not have a clear plan. Did not want to go all in and win with Price and Weber. Did not want to rebuild. He ended up lost in limbo.

The Real Timo

Jun 18, 2019
i like PK and i have no doubt he loved Montreal/Habs but hes not captain material

Markov i agree 100%
I can't think of Markov hating anything more than being a captain and having to face the media.

You should see the assets we'll get for Gallagher...

The Real Timo

Jun 18, 2019
Nice. 2 games this weekend. I hope Habs don't get into this habit of win one lose one thing... A solid 8 game streak is required now. Lessgo! I think Primeau needs some games.

Reactions: Zilo44

Zilo44

Jul 4, 2012
Well at least he should have taken a direction. Trading one player (Patch) for future and the other (Subban) for present was dumb as hell. If you're going for a retool then go for a retool and trade all of them for guys who can help right now. If you're going for a rebuild then go for a rebuild. Pick a direction. That was the main problem with MB he did not have a clear plan. Did not want to go all in and win with Price and Weber. Did not want to rebuild. He ended up lost in limbo.
This.

Makes a move to bring in Weber and Petry.

Then after failing one time to make a run, Not resigning Radulov and Markov after that first round exit against the Rangers.

The Drouin trade was a win now move.

Then he moves his captain for futures ?

There was way to much hesitation.

Reactions: Catanddogguitarrr

holy

2023-2024 Cup CHamps
May 22, 2017
Nice. 2 games this weekend. I hope Habs don't get into this habit of win one lose one thing... A solid 8 game streak is required now. Lessgo! I think Primeau needs some games.
8 game win streak would be phenomenal! I like your way of thinking.

Catanddogguitarrr

Jul 3, 2016
Nowhere land

At the time Subban was the only player to bring a real #1 center in a trade. Bergevin missed that opportunity. The other player was Price but that would destroyed one major part to improve another part. Maybe the center would have been Duchene or Zibanejad, or another one similar. Not one on one trade, Subban was worth a pick with that.

Catanddogguitarrr

Jul 3, 2016
Nowhere land
Keeps going like this Not going to get core player in this draft Habs win or two not worth giving up franchise player next 10-15 years. Monahan be back soon. Team be playing better. Only few points out of top 10 now
If I was Hughes, play Monahan 3 good games and get him him out of Mtl in a trade ASAP. Out Out Out !!
We want a good pick ! I know we can forget about Bedard but this is a good year draft and I would like a 5th pick as consolation price. Also trade Anderson and Edmunston, they have value and doesn't fit in our future core in 3 years. If Dvorak can go to, do it! But Dvo helps tanking, lol.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
Two unnecessary contract conflicts and the arbitration case tells me otherwise. Bergevin threw Subban under the bus and then six months later fired Therrien. That’s all Bergevin.
I had just gotten over my disdain for Therrien, after the 1st time he was around coaching the habs, and then the new GM in Bergevin rehired the jerk...................I could only shake my head.............over and over.
Awful awful 1st decision....
Therrien had the biggest ego in the room, and definitely could not handle Subban's popularity......beyond stupidity ensued.

WG

Sep 9, 2008
Next up - I dreamed of honoring night for Michel Therrien and Bergevin....it looked like this

chute-no-saco-superhomem-superman.gif
Something dawned on me this morning. The Habs brought Price in and included him in the ceremony knowing they would do the Triple Low 5. The video package they put together included the TL5.

After it was done, everybody immediately went Ha Ha F*** off Therrien and a lot went Ha Ha F*** off Bergevin. The team was complicit in something that they knew was going to be perceived as a middle finger to their two time coach and 10-year tenured GM.

Of course that's a good thing, those two cretins deserve as much scorn as can be piled on them but it still struck me interesting that the team went along with it.

I thought it was great that the montage showed Mme. Beliveau blowing kisses to PK and that PK mentioned her in his remarks. I'm sure given the chance she'd give those two morons a kick in the dick, too.

Reactions: Milhouse40

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham

Too often he made moves to keep his head above water. Even the trade for Weber was this. There were moments like when the summer he lost Markov and Radu where it was time to compete and he lost two soldiers so It probably would have been better to rebuild but then he made the Domi trade to basically again kept us above water for a little bit. He kept doing this.

Maybe he could never rebuild being from a hot a market and Molson did not want to, who knows. But the fact is it definitely was an habit of his to keep us in between.

That looks like a weird Terry Gilliam movie lol. His coat seems to go on forever.

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
Something dawned on me this morning. The Habs brought Price in and included him in the ceremony knowing they would do the Triple Low 5. The video package they put together included the TL5.

After it was done, everybody immediately went Ha Ha F*** off Therrien and a lot went Ha Ha F*** off Bergevin. The team was complicit in something that they knew was going to be perceived as a middle finger to their two time coach and 10-year tenured GM.

Of course that's a good thing, those two cretins deserve as much scorn as can be piled on them but it still struck me interesting that the team went along with it.

I thought it was great that the montage showed Mme. Beliveau blowing kisses to PK and that PK mentioned her in his remarks. I'm sure given the chance she'd give those two morons a kick in the dick, too.

It was probably Molson who made the call on that but the fans liked it then and let's face it.....it blew the top of the Bell Center which is what marketing is all about. It was perfect from a marketing standpoint!

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007

Why anyone would trade a top 3 blueliner in his prime is beyond reason. Esp when you've got another superstar in his prime on the roster to go along with a good support group - also in their prime.

It was dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb.

And again, for all the 'they are not available' excuses on centers... he had Galchenyuk. He either could've used him there where he'd have been infinitely better than DD. Or he could've traded him for another center. It was just an absolute trainwreck how he handled this club.

I hope he becomes the GM of the Bruins and the Leafs and every other club in the NHL. But my God I hope he never steps foot in Montreal's arena ever again. Garbage GM who hired garbage coaches don't belong here.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad