Men's League Last Night

Slats432

Jun 2, 2002
hockeypedia.com
The best way to do it, is once you have the players score a bunch, maybe putting the players with zero goals/dmen on forward. There are times that not a lot can be done. Just hope your top players lay off the gas when you are up by a bunch.

Yukon Joe

Aug 3, 2011
YWG -> YXY -> YEG
The best way to do it, is once you have the players score a bunch, maybe putting the players with zero goals/dmen on forward. There are times that not a lot can be done. Just hope your top players lay off the gas when you are up by a bunch.

Yeah, last time we played this same team I suggested that (and as a D man with no goals, I prefer playing D, don't like playing forward). The answer that came back was "we want to get ready for playoffs - we just want to focus on fundamentals, and we'll try to ease off/pass the puck". Which is perhaps understandable, and we did really try to pass the puck around, but it can be hard to just not shoot when the option is open to you (or so I assume - like I said I'm the guy with no goals).

Yukon Joe

Aug 3, 2011
YWG -> YXY -> YEG
I know people are competitive but getting ready for the playoffs when you play lower level rec league shouldn't be the priority. Having fun, getting all players involved, and playing various positions makes you a better player.
Yeah.

So like I said, that was my suggestion last time.

But I think honestly - like last night was a 10:15 ice time on a week night. We only had 11 skaters (and I think our opponents only had 8). Guys play the positions they like to play (and like I said, while I volunteered to go F, I honestly prefer playing D). It's just the reality of rec league.

And honestly - we won the league last summer. And I 100% agree - winning a championship in low level rec hockey is pretty f***ing meaningless. But you know what? It also felt pretty good. I think it was the only time I ever won anything in sports in my life.* So "getting ready for playoffs" isn't nothing.

But then again - a 9-0 win isn't all that much fun either.

*no wait - I won my curling club's junior championship as a skip like 30+ years ago. So first thing I've won since the early 90s.

Reactions: Primary Assist

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
Yeah.

So like I said, that was my suggestion last time.

But I think honestly - like last night was a 10:15 ice time on a week night. We only had 11 skaters (and I think our opponents only had 8). Guys play the positions they like to play (and like I said, while I volunteered to go F, I honestly prefer playing D). It's just the reality of rec league.

And honestly - we won the league last summer. And I 100% agree - winning a championship in low level rec hockey is pretty f***ing meaningless. But you know what? It also felt pretty good. I think it was the only time I ever won anything in sports in my life.* So "getting ready for playoffs" isn't nothing.

But then again - a 9-0 win isn't all that much fun either.

*no wait - I won my curling club's junior championship as a skip like 30+ years ago. So first thing I've won since the early 90s.

Your league should have a mercy rule. My league has one for 8 goal defecit/lead, at any point in game.

Me personally, when we're smoking a team, i'll usually stop carrying the puck into the zone and just look to make simple passes to teammates. Defensively, i'll ease up a bit, not let anyone get around me but not aggresively stick check or close someone out.

Unless the opponents are dicks and start playing dirty, then try and run it up.

Slats432

Jun 2, 2002
hockeypedia.com
Your league should have a mercy rule. My league has one for 8 goal defecit/lead, at any point in game.

Me personally, when we're smoking a team, i'll usually stop carrying the puck into the zone and just look to make simple passes to teammates. Defensively, i'll ease up a bit, not let anyone get around me but not aggresively stick check or close someone out.

Unless the opponents are dicks and start playing dirty, then try and run it up.
There are several rules to prevent blow outs. 3 goal per player rule is most prevalent in the lower divs. There used to be run time at 8 goal difference but some captains said that they pay their money and it is their ice time, so the mercy run time rule was eliminated in the recreational divisions.

Yukon Joe

Aug 3, 2011
YWG -> YXY -> YEG
There are several rules to prevent blow outs. 3 goal per player rule is most prevalent in the lower divs. There used to be run time at 8 goal difference but some captains said that they pay their money and it is their ice time, so the mercy run time rule was eliminated in the recreational divisions.

Yeah different ways of trying to deal with it, but never really seen a straight-up mercy rule, for exactly the reason you state. Guys (and gals) are out there to get a sweat on and get some exercise as much as anything else, so nobody really wants to go home early. And I say that having been on both sides of blowouts.

Most you really ask is to not celly your goals when you're up by a lot.

Limiting goals per player can also work to a certain extent - "encourage" certain puck hogs to actually have to pass the puck.

Yukon Joe

Aug 3, 2011
YWG -> YXY -> YEG
Depending on the league, it's always kind-of amusing when some player who clearly doesn't belong in the league, dangles around 4-5 guys and goes bar down to get his 4th of the night - Whistle! Goal disallowed, and in fact they get a penalty for unsportmanlike.

It was also amusing to me the one and only time I've ever scored multiple goals in a game - ref warns me after two I hit my max. I just laugh because I've never scored 2 goals in a game before or since, never mind 3...

Reactions: Primary Assist

Yukon Joe

Aug 3, 2011
YWG -> YXY -> YEG
Friday night men's league, 10:30pm start time, which is late to begin with. But there's a U17AAA game on the ice which goes to overtime, so we're delayed. It's a twin arena so they're able to just move us over to the other ice sheet, but it's still a 10:45 puck drop.

During the game we offer to drop the flood we get after the 2nd period, but arena staff say they're obligated. We don't get off the ice until 12:15 am. Of course we have to stay for a beer, so don't leave until after 1am.

The irony is I'm back at the same rink at 9am with my kids, and I'm back on the ice at 10:30 for my weekly practice session. It was the last week though so we shinnied.

The further irony was my one kid's team had scheduled a fun parents vs kids game that same day at 4pm. Of course I had to play, being one of the handful of parents who regularly plays hockey.

That was three hockey games inside 24 hours.

I made it through, and with no injuries to boot, but I was in bed by 9:30.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad