Men's League Last Night

Yukon Joe

Aug 3, 2011
YWG -> YXY -> YEG
Yeah I would but don't have the time to drive an hour to the next closest rink anymore. This is the only rink 20 minutes or less from my house. The next closest rink is at least an hour away depending on traffic. I agree no one should be trying to hurt someone in a beer league non-checkingeague and especially cross checked them from behind head first in the boards at full speed. It all goes down to if the rink isn't protecting or policing the player, then the players end up policing themselves. The refs are not calling blatant penalties and letting games get out of hand by repeat offenders.

So I have two thoughts:

1. It's always interesting how different Edmonton is from (checks your account) Florida. Within a 20 minute drive of my house I can count 8 rinks with 16 sheets of ice (one 4 sheet, a couple single sheet, and several doubles). Within an hour I can't even really count. And at a quick count there's about 5 different leagues I could play in (CCRHL, NCHL, AMHL, RCHL and SSCHL) just in Edmonton alone.

2. I just profoundly disagree with what you're saying though. Not trying to mis-characterize your point, but you seem to be saying "no one should try to hurt someone in beer league - unless the refs aren't doing their jobs". And I 100% believe "no one should try to hurt someone in beer league no matter what".

Outl4w

Dec 16, 2011
FL
So I have two thoughts:

1. It's always interesting how different Edmonton is from (checks your account) Florida. Within a 20 minute drive of my house I can count 8 rinks with 16 sheets of ice (one 4 sheet, a couple single sheet, and several doubles). Within an hour I can't even really count. And at a quick count there's about 5 different leagues I could play in (CCRHL, NCHL, AMHL, RCHL and SSCHL) just in Edmonton alone.

2. I just profoundly disagree with what you're saying though. Not trying to mis-characterize your point, but you seem to be saying "no one should try to hurt someone in beer league - unless the refs aren't doing their jobs". And I 100% believe "no one should try to hurt someone in beer league no matter what".
Correct point 2 is valid if no one is boarding someone head first into the boards knocking him out. The player has been an issue for years and the ref/rink refuse to do anything because he coaches travel hockey. If the refs won't do their jobs then players have to respond. It shouldn't happen but when someone is trying to hurt people constantly without any repercussions from the league or ref eventually someone responds. Maybe he learns his lesson and stops. I mean both teams playing after our game were cheering and saying about time someone put him in his place.

cowboy82nd

Feb 19, 2012
Newnan, Georgia
Last night it got ugly with the same player and same ref but against my team ate. Our forward dumps the puck deep and the defenseman just bear hugs and holds the forward at the blue line. The puck is behind his net and the ref warns the guy four times to let go and he refuses to. The player on our teams eventually gets out and skates towards the puck. The defensemen that got the puck iced the puck and the play who was just hlding our player is racing to try to beat our defenseman to negate the icing. Our defenseman ends up beating him to the recline and he just gets boarded head first into the board by a crosscheck. THE REF doesn't blow the whistle dead for.the hit or icing and has no penalty hand up. Naturally a player on our team comes over slams the dude head first into the ice and gets on top of him hitting him ufc style until the ref gets him off. The ref gives our guy a 5 , 10, and a game. He gives the other play a 5, 10, and a game. If the ref would have called the blatant bear.hug none of this would have happened. The player that boarded our player and got away with a blatant inference is whining his eye is bleeding and his head is swollen calling our team every name in the book. The refs talk to our captain and tell.him there is no need for fighting in beer league. Our captain just said if you called the first penalty there would have been no boarding. If you called the boarding instantly he may have not gotten beat up. It's your fault you refuse to control the game. The ref got mouthy when the captain and he said I can just send the full video to usa hockey and the ref asked him not to. I told the captain he really should do send it and report the ref and the player. Our guy may get suspended for more games but boarding someone in beer league head first into a wall because they beat you to a puck has to be punished by the ref or the team.

Outl4w, I curious if the captain sent the video in and if he did, what happened afterwards. Please keep us updated.

Reactions: DaveG

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018
Why are you playing full contact hockey at your age?

The skill level in recreational hockey is still high; some guys are lower level but some can absolutely dangle. But the difference is there is nothing dirty, no tempers flare and no one cares what the score is.

My days of playing in leagues ended when I turned 40.

Best username?

Aces89

Apr 22, 2020
Two teams of Canadian correctional centres playing each. Quinte vs Millhaven. Was a tune up for my jail (Quinte) because were playing the Montreal Canadiens Alumni next sunday!

Reactions: The Gr8 Dane

Aces89

Apr 22, 2020

My fellow correctional officers and I took on the Montreal Canadiens Alumni for charity. Was a successful event. They’re still really good even way past their prime

Reactions: WSD

Yukon Joe

Aug 3, 2011
YWG -> YXY -> YEG
I was invited to play at an all-lawyer charity game to be held in January where we raise money for charity.

Kind of excited / kind of nervous. Some of the guys playing are pretty old, but some aren't, and some have played at moderately high levels as kids (no former pros at least out there). Lawyers can also be pretty competitive, so curious to see how chippy this game will be.

Reactions: Summer Rose

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
I was invited to play at an all-lawyer charity game to be held in January where we raise money for charity.

Kind of excited / kind of nervous. Some of the guys playing are pretty old, but some aren't, and some have played at moderately high levels as kids (no former pros at least out there). Lawyers can also be pretty competitive, so curious to see how chippy this game will be.
Pretty sure a charity game featuring players of all different ages, and skill, is not going to be a chippy game....

Yukon Joe

Aug 3, 2011
YWG -> YXY -> YEG
Pretty sure a charity game featuring players of all different ages, and skill, is not going to be a chippy game....

Yeah, but once you factor in that these are all pretty competitive people, they mostly all know each other, and way have some professional grudges (remember it's lawyers - we may well have fought against each other in court)...

Slats432

Jun 2, 2002
hockeypedia.com
Yeah, but once you factor in that these are all pretty competitive people, they mostly all know each other, and way have some professional grudges (remember it's lawyers - we may well have fought against each other in court)...
the-princess-bride-mandy-patinkin.gif

Reactions: Summer Rose

beedee

Jan 13, 2014

Wonder if a lawsuit will be filed if someone gets injured as a result of a malicious play?

• Haha
Reactions: Mighty Makar

lokomotiv15

Jul 14, 2012
London, ontario
So at Men's League last night; Playing a team with a kid who wears a tinted, mirrored fishbowl combo. Probably 5 or 6 years out of AA or high school and always runs around, chirps, gives guys little sticks, guys give it back, whatever, its beer league.

Here's where the PSA comes in; He does a fly by foot sweep of one of the more unassumingly physical and scary guys on our team. Slew foots him, and our guy, who wears just a visor, gets up and starts skating towards him saying lets go. Fishbowl drops his gloves and they start going. Took 4 or 5 punches. He gave it one try to take off the fishbowl and it wasn't really moving, so one shot knocked it around on his head a bit, second one knocked it up his face a bit, 3rd one blew the bottom of his fishbowl through his entire top row of teeth and another one after his helmet fell off on their way down. We all sign the dental waiver to start the year, and hes covered for about $700 of the 10-12K he's gonna have to pay for his teeth from the league. Hope he has dental.

Long story long; Don't fight in beer league. It's stupid and embarrassing.
Dont think that wearing a cage or a fishbowl is going to save you in a fight.
Know that if you want to play like a dirt bag all the time, eventually someone is going to get you.
And don't fight in beer league.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
So at Men's League last night; Playing a team with a kid who wears a tinted, mirrored fishbowl combo. Probably 5 or 6 years out of AA or high school and always runs around, chirps, gives guys little sticks, guys give it back, whatever, its beer league.

Here's where the PSA comes in; He does a fly by foot sweep of one of the more unassumingly physical and scary guys on our team. Slew foots him, and our guy, who wears just a visor, gets up and starts skating towards him saying lets go. Fishbowl drops his gloves and they start going. Took 4 or 5 punches. He gave it one try to take off the fishbowl and it wasn't really moving, so one shot knocked it around on his head a bit, second one knocked it up his face a bit, 3rd one blew the bottom of his fishbowl through his entire top row of teeth and another one after his helmet fell off on their way down. We all sign the dental waiver to start the year, and hes covered for about $700 of the 10-12K he's gonna have to pay for his teeth from the league. Hope he has dental.

Long story long; Don't fight in beer league. It's stupid and embarrassing.
Dont think that wearing a cage or a fishbowl is going to save you in a fight.
Know that if you want to play like a dirt bag all the time, eventually someone is going to get you.
And don't fight in beer league.

Love hearing a heartwarming story, was this captured on video

Sounds like kid got what he deserved

Reactions: lokomotiv15

Yukon Joe

Aug 3, 2011
YWG -> YXY -> YEG
So not exactly men's league...

My U15AA kid's team did a parents-kids fun game right before Christmas. It was... interesting. There were definitely some hits, but almost always parents on kids, or parents on coach. The kids blew us parents away for sure, but they were also all just trying to show-boat and pull off ridiculous moves, which at least gave us parents a chance to stop them. Playing D though some of the kids were just ridiculously cherry-picking, hanging out at the centre line or even the opposite blue line, which is always annoying.

The really nice thing though is I got to play with both of my hockey-playing kids on the same ice. My middle kid also came out. I could tell he was frustrated though: He's 11, playing against 13-14 year olds. There were a couple of younger kids out on the ice also (think like 9-10) and the kids team would give them space to try and make plays (and the adults would try to set them up). But my 11 year old was just big enough the U15s gave him no space, but he's young enough he couldn't really make any plays.

Reactions: lokomotiv15

Yukon Joe

Aug 3, 2011
YWG -> YXY -> YEG
So my two kids funnily enough had games back-to-back at the same rink yesterday. So that was 4+ hours at the rink. But then I had to leave mid-way through the third period because I had a rec league game at a different rink. I think I was away from the house for something like 9 hours, all for hockey.

Driving to my game I was feeling hockey'd out. Like this was just too much hockey for one day.

I was wrong. The game was a blast. I don't think you can have too much hockey in one day.

Reactions: PanniniClaus

Slats432

Jun 2, 2002
hockeypedia.com
So my two kids funnily enough had games back-to-back at the same rink yesterday. So that was 4+ hours at the rink. But then I had to leave mid-way through the third period because I had a rec league game at a different rink. I think I was away from the house for something like 9 hours, all for hockey.

Driving to my game I was feeling hockey'd out. Like this was just too much hockey for one day.

I was wrong. The game was a blast. I don't think you can have too much hockey in one day.
I referreed 12 games this weekend. Still found time to watch my grandson play, my son play, a old friend play, coached a game, and had a practice. Watched Oilers vs. Coyotes. Watched part of the Stadium Series. Caught a bit of PWHL Montreal/Toronto.

There is no such thing as hockey'd out. :D

Yukon Joe

Aug 3, 2011
YWG -> YXY -> YEG
I referreed 12 games this weekend. Still found time to watch my grandson play, my son play, a old friend play, coached a game, and had a practice. Watched Oilers vs. Coyotes. Watched part of the Stadium Series. Caught a bit of PWHL Montreal/Toronto.

There is no such thing as hockey'd out. :D

OK - so that might be a bit more hockey than I need in my life...

Hey - how'd you ever get into reffing? Were you working the Ben Stelter Tournament?

Slats432

Jun 2, 2002
hockeypedia.com
OK - so that might be a bit more hockey than I need in my life...

Hey - how'd you ever get into reffing? Were you working the Ben Stelter Tournament?
Started with men's league converted from player to referee, then took the ref course from HA and became certified. Now 3000 games later, I may have a handle on it.

Yes, did 10 games for the Ben Stelter.

Yukon Joe

Aug 3, 2011
YWG -> YXY -> YEG
Men's league last night (well - it's technically co-ed)...

We beat our opponents 9-0. I mean it's always good to get out on the ice, but you kind of feel bad. One of our guys scored the 9th goal with 2 seconds left - he actually felt terrible, said he didn't realize how much time was left, apologized to the other team. The other team are all good sports and I have noting bad to say about them - it's just that even here at the lowest division of the league, this team is at the bottom and just isn't very skilled.

Never quite sure how to play a situation like this. It's a league game so we can't just start swapping players between the teams like in shinny. But not quite sure what else to do. It's hard to just turn off that drive to play well (in particular against a team where you can actually do well). We did make a point of trying to feed our lowest skilled player to get a goal. We did let them have a couple of rushes, but then again one of the few things to try for in a game like that is to get our goalie the shutout.

I play D, and I have zero goals on the season (because I suck). I did tell my D partner (who is way better than me) late in the game "hey - I'd never normally say this - but if the puck goes to you on the draw - just try and feed me" - but maybe even that was the wrong approach? (I still didn't score - because again I suck).

At least the one thing we were good about is not celebrating after it was 3 or 4 nothing.

In a league game, but it's still just rec hockey - how agressively should you ease off the pedal to make it fun for everyone?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad