Men's League Last Night

Slats432

Jun 2, 2002
hockeypedia.com
my bad, I read that as you couldn't play with 6 skaters.

Sounds like a great league. Structure is great, not always possible here in Chicago. And I don't know about Edmonton, but here 98% of the men's league games start after 9:00. Lots of them start after 11:00. Not always easy getting enough guys to show up for some of those.

One thing I noticed is that the better the player, the less he wants to be part of a league with structure. I played in a very structured league with like 6 or 7 divisions all based on talent. Each team had exactly 10 players and you had to confirm online in advance that you would attend. If you couldn't attend the league would go into the sub system (other players from the league) and bring guys from there so the team had 10 skaters.

It was such a perfect system. You were always guaranteed to have no less and no more than 10 skaters which is the perfect number for men's league. Game times weren't even that bad. Despite all that, the level of play in the highest division wasn't even C level.

Despite the terrible level of play I enjoyed the league solely for the benefit of being guaranteed no more than 5 on the bench. And I loved the sub system. i would pick up extra games every week.

most of our leagues here are th opposite with no structure. Get to the playoffs and you might see some ringers you haven't seen all season. that type of stuff.
No games in our league start after 10:30 PM. Because of the amount of players available, you generally don't get too many players playing out of their skill level. In Division 1, in winter, you have a lot of ex junior guys, the odd ex pro. So all those better players play against each other. (Evander Kane and Ladislav Smid came out and even played a game in the summer.)

The sub rules make players play a certain amount of games to qualify for playoffs. If you blow teams out, there is retiering. If you bring out a ringer, you could move out divisions. Players have to sign in so you know who is playing each game. This is an evolution of a league that has been around for 20 years.

I like the 10 player system you mentioned. Lots of things work based on your demographics and amount of players.

Reactions: shakes the clown

chchelseII

Sep 24, 2014
Play in an over 60 league. We are probably the worst team in the league. Last night we played the top team. Down 2-1 in the third when I get a pass, pull the goalie over to me, pass to my teammate in the slot for an easy goal. But, the ref blew the whistle just prior to the shot to call a penalty on the opposing team, who never touched the puck. It was brutal and the ref admitted later he screwed up. We were pissed of course. I told him he just took a goal away from a 76 year old guy. This guy isn’t very good and has very few goals left in him. Really sucked. Then because we bitched at him he called a string of questionable penalties against us. Really ruined a good game.

malcb33

Apr 10, 2005
New Zealand
Play in an over 60 league. We are probably the worst team in the league. Last night we played the top team. Down 2-1 in the third when I get a pass, pull the goalie over to me, pass to my teammate in the slot for an easy goal. But, the ref blew the whistle just prior to the shot to call a penalty on the opposing team, who never touched the puck. It was brutal and the ref admitted later he screwed up. We were pissed of course. I told him he just took a goal away from a 76 year old guy. This guy isn’t very good and has very few goals left in him. Really sucked. Then because we bitched at him he called a string of questionable penalties against us. Really ruined a good game.
Crappy result, but amazing that you have a 76yo on your team. I honestly couldn't imagine still skating at that age, hats off to the guy!

Aces89

Apr 22, 2020
First game back of the year. The team who used to be the Aces rebranded under new management and now we’re the Coyotes. Still the same team plus some player upgrades.

Aces89

Apr 22, 2020
Our Coyotes goalie saved our bacon a few times in this game after we stopped playing being up 3-0 in the first 90 seconds.

Outl4w

Dec 16, 2011
FL
Playing a team in a b/c league and winning 6-0. I still the puck from a guy in our zone pass the puck to the right wing and break up the opposite board full speed. Catch the pass and enter the offensive zone and skate over the blue line. The opposing teams defenseman tries to land a open ice check on and I see him or coming. He leaves his feet to throw his check and I lower my shoulder it knocks him down. He then swings his stick at like a baseball bat and one my stick and hand. He broke his stick and starts yelling nonsense about like cherry picking in a 6-0 game. I was like dude you tried check me after I stole the puck and did a basic give and go breakout from.the defensive zone. He then called me a roller hockey play. The ref didn't call a penalty at all. The rest of the game any time i entered the zone he kept putting his stick on my skate calling me all kind of curse words. I wasn't intimated it was more pathetic
We won 9-0 could have been 25-0. Their goalie was terrible that game which he usually is pretty good. We offered to trade goalies and their captain said no.The team won't move to the d and lower league and want to play in the upper c/b league. In the handshake he tried to start shit up called up a showoff , curse words, and the p bomb. I just laughed and said I don't think you want to start a fight with someone you couldn't take down with an open ice check in beer league. His captain came over and apologized. I just don't know why people lose their crap over basic hockey plays. We play the other top 2 teams in back to back games next week and I haven't skated in two weeks. I wasn't showing off or trying pad my stats. I just skated hard and didn't let anyone get by me 1 on 1. I know several guys on their team and usually it is a close game. We won 4 1 last time but it could have went either way. If the refs won't call penalties what do you in situations like this? I know for a fact I could tune him up but km trying to play hockey and go home without hurting another player or myself.

Last edited:

TheOne

Jun 15, 2023
Playing a team in a b/c league and winning 6-0. I still the puck from a guy in our zone pass the puck to the right wing and break up the opposite board full speed. Catch the pass and enter the offensive zone and skate over the blue line. The opposing teams defenseman tries to land a open ice check on and I see him or coming. He leaves his feet to throw his check and I lower my shoulder it knocks him down. He then swings his stick at like a baseball bat and one my stick and hand. He broke his stick and starts yelling nonsense about like cherry picking in a 6-0 game. I was like dude you tried check me after I stole the puck and did a basic give and go breakout from.the defensive zone. He then called me a roller hockey play. The ref didn't call a penalty at all. The rest of the game any time i entered the zone he kept putting his stick on my skate calling me all kind of curse words. I wanst intimated it was more pathetic
We won 9-0 could have been 25-0. Their goalie was terrible that game which he usually is pretty good. We offered to trade goalies and their captain said no.The team won't move to the d and lower league and want to play in the upper c/b league. In the handshake he tried to start shit up called up a showoff , curse words, and the p bomb. I just laughed and said I don't think you want to start a fight with someone you couldn't take down with an open ice check in beer league. His captain came over and apologized. I just don't know why people lose their crap over basic hockey plays. We play the other top 2 teams in back to back games next week and I haven't skated in two weeks. I wasn't showing off or trying pad my stats. I just skated hard and didn't let anyone get by me 1 on 1. I know several guys on their team and usually it is a close game. We won 4 1 last time but it could have went either way. If the refs won't call penalties what do you in situations like this? I know for a fact I could tune him up but km trying to play hockey and go home without hurting another player or myself.
It's mens/beer league man. Every mens/beer league has got "that guy" in it. Everyone here knows the type: wannabe or has been, thinks there's scouts in the stands, and it's simultaneously game 7 of the Stanley Cup final. It is what it is. Just beat them on the score board then laugh about it with the boys over beers in the locker room. We're all here because we love the game. Don't let the inevitable and omnipresent d-bag take that from you.

Outl4w

Dec 16, 2011
FL
It's mens/beer league man. Every mens/beer league has got "that guy" in it. Everyone here knows the type: wannabe or has been, thinks there's scouts in the stands, and it's simultaneously game 7 of the Stanley Cup final. It is what it is. Just beat them on the score board then laugh about it with the boys over beers in the locker room. We're all here because we love the game. Don't let the inevitable and omnipresent d-bag take that from you.
Yeah I talked to the ref after the game last night at my other gane and said if it happens again since you will not do your job I will have to settle with on my own . He said he didn't call a penalty because he thought I was going to retaliate and it was already run clock. That is the dumbest thing I heard. I don't want to be a dick but I could literally send the video from livebarn and file charges he swung his stick like a bat and hit my hand and cracked my stick. All he had to do was call the obvious penalty. If it happened off the ice everyone knows there would be charges. My wrist is swollen as hell and my stick is done for. The ref is also the league director and the owner of the rink doesn't get involved.

Yukon Joe

Aug 3, 2011
YWG -> YXY -> YEG
Yeah I talked to the ref after the game last night at my other gane and said if it happens again since you will not do your job I will have to settle with on my own . He said he didn't call a penalty because he thought I was going to retaliate and it was already run clock. That is the dumbest thing I heard. I don't want to be a dick but I could literally send the video from livebarn and file charges he swung his stick like a bat and hit my hand and cracked my stick. All he had to do was call the obvious penalty. If it happened off the ice everyone knows there would be charges. My wrist is swollen as hell and my stick is done for. The ref is also the league director and the owner of the rink doesn't get involved.

If you start out by telling the ref you're going to settle things on your own you're not going to get a positive response.

Refs miss stuff - they're human. Beer league refs are decent for the most part, but come on - you're getting guys willing to go out on the ice for $50 at 10pm at night - you're not getting the best and brightest.

It absolutely sucks that he broke your stick and hurt your wrist. If he keeps acting like a wildman I think you can trust that the refs will catch it eventually, and if he keeps it up will be out of the league at some point.

Outl4w

Dec 16, 2011
FL
If you start out by telling the ref you're going to settle things on your own you're not going to get a positive response.

Refs miss stuff - they're human. Beer league refs are decent for the most part, but come on - you're getting guys willing to go out on the ice for $50 at 10pm at night - you're not getting the best and brightest.

It absolutely sucks that he broke your stick and hurt your wrist. If he keeps acting like a wildman I think you can trust that the refs will catch it eventually, and if he keeps it up will be out of the league at some point.
The ref saw it and said he didn't call it because we were blowing out 6-0 and on run clock. He didn't miss it, he refused to call it.

Slats432

Jun 2, 2002
hockeypedia.com

I find when I hear about absolutely dumb stuff refs do, it doesn't seem to happen in the league I ref in. If there is a bigger infraction, you call it regardless of score, run time, player or game situation.

Reactions: Outl4w and DaveG

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014

There are crazy f***s who will go overboard and result to flatout just trying to injure people, though. I've experiened it. So sometimes you might need ot take matters into your own hands. Obviously a ref will kick someone out after they already do sometihng really dirty and hurt someone, but at that point damage done.

I laid someone out recently who wouldn't stop taking runs at me and my teammates in non-contact league and giving little shots behind play when refs weren't looking. He got up, we tussled were about to fight and it got broken up. Whatever....

I'm also not married, no kids, still relatively young and in good health and shape and confident in my ability to handle most fights that could happen in beer league.

So i'm not suggesting someone who might be older with kids and an important breadwinning job should be doing shit like that but yeah.....

Reactions: DaveG

Outl4w

Dec 16, 2011
FL
Last night it got ugly with the same player and same ref but against my team ate. Our forward dumps the puck deep and the defenseman just bear hugs and holds the forward at the blue line. The puck is behind his net and the ref warns the guy four times to let go and he refuses to. The player on our teams eventually gets out and skates towards the puck. The defensemen that got the puck iced the puck and the play who was just hlding our player is racing to try to beat our defenseman to negate the icing. Our defenseman ends up beating him to the recline and he just gets boarded head first into the board by a crosscheck. THE REF doesn't blow the whistle dead for.the hit or icing and has no penalty hand up. Naturally a player on our team comes over slams the dude head first into the ice and gets on top of him hitting him ufc style until the ref gets him off. The ref gives our guy a 5 , 10, and a game. He gives the other play a 5, 10, and a game. If the ref would have called the blatant bear.hug none of this would have happened. The player that boarded our player and got away with a blatant inference is whining his eye is bleeding and his head is swollen calling our team every name in the book. The refs talk to our captain and tell.him there is no need for fighting in beer league. Our captain just said if you called the first penalty there would have been no boarding. If you called the boarding instantly he may have not gotten beat up. It's your fault you refuse to control the game. The ref got mouthy when the captain and he said I can just send the full video to usa hockey and the ref asked him not to. I told the captain he really should do send it and report the ref and the player. Our guy may get suspended for more games but boarding someone in beer league head first into a wall because they beat you to a puck has to be punished by the ref or the team.

cowboy82nd

Feb 19, 2012
Newnan, Georgia
Last night it got ugly with the same player and same ref but against my team ate. Our forward dumps the puck deep and the defenseman just bear hugs and holds the forward at the blue line. The puck is behind his net and the ref warns the guy four times to let go and he refuses to. The player on our teams eventually gets out and skates towards the puck. The defensemen that got the puck iced the puck and the play who was just hlding our player is racing to try to beat our defenseman to negate the icing. Our defenseman ends up beating him to the recline and he just gets boarded head first into the board by a crosscheck. THE REF doesn't blow the whistle dead for.the hit or icing and has no penalty hand up. Naturally a player on our team comes over slams the dude head first into the ice and gets on top of him hitting him ufc style until the ref gets him off. The ref gives our guy a 5 , 10, and a game. He gives the other play a 5, 10, and a game. If the ref would have called the blatant bear.hug none of this would have happened. The player that boarded our player and got away with a blatant inference is whining his eye is bleeding and his head is swollen calling our team every name in the book. The refs talk to our captain and tell.him there is no need for fighting in beer league. Our captain just said if you called the first penalty there would have been no boarding. If you called the boarding instantly he may have not gotten beat up. It's your fault you refuse to control the game. The ref got mouthy when the captain and he said I can just send the full video to usa hockey and the ref asked him not to. I told the captain he really should do send it and report the ref and the player. Our guy may get suspended for more games but boarding someone in beer league head first into a wall because they beat you to a puck has to be punished by the ref or the team.

Send the video in. The ref should of learned from his mistake the first time you talked to him about it and that player should maybe go to counseling but not play in beer league hockey for awhile, if ever.

Outl4w

Dec 16, 2011
FL
Send the video in. The ref should of learned from his mistake the first time you talked to him about it and that player should maybe go to counseling but not play in beer league hockey for awhile, if ever.
Yep that's what I recommended. If the ref let's tbe game get out or control then that is on him.

Reactions: cowboy82nd

Yukon Joe

Aug 3, 2011
YWG -> YXY -> YEG
Naturally a player on our team comes over slams the dude head first into the ice and gets on top of him hitting him ufc style until the ref gets him off.

Why is that "naturally"?

Don't do that. If reffing is a problem send in the tape to the league or whomever. But this other guy could get seriously hurt and your player could be criminally charged. "Standing up for a teammate" is not a legal defence to assault.

cowboy82nd

Feb 19, 2012
Newnan, Georgia
Why is that "naturally"?

Don't do that. If reffing is a problem send in the tape to the league or whomever. But this other guy could get seriously hurt and your player could be criminally charged. "Standing up for a teammate" is not a legal defence to assault.

I agree with you, but naturally is what I would have done also. You don't let someone do that and get away with it, especially when they have history. I get the assault charges and all, but sometimes that‘s the only way people learn.

Last edited:

Outl4w

Dec 16, 2011
FL
Why is that "naturally"?

Usually when a guy gets crosschecked in the back head first into boards and falls out cold by a guy who the ref refuses to control someone else has to take care of it. I am not condoning it but the ref has multiple opportunies to handle this player and failed. Someone else protected their brother and teammate because the ref did not do his job. If the ref called the bear hug instead of warning him 4 times the player would have been in the box instead of checking a guy head first Into the boards in the final 2 minutes. If the law got involved by the player who got beat up In the fight he would be charged with assault as well and possibly another charge for the boarding. The guy tried to fight but he just got whooped like the fake tough guy he is. Both guys are suspended for at least a game. The guy on our team that got boarded is out for a bit more than likely.

Last edited:
Reactions: bossram and DaveG

Slats432

Jun 2, 2002
hockeypedia.com
Usually when a guy gets crosschecked in the back head first into boards and falls out cold by a guy who the ref refuses to control someone else has to take care of it. I am not condoning it but the ref has multiple opportunies to handle this player and failed. Someone else protected their brother and teammate because the ref did not do his job. If the ref called the bear hug instead of warning him 4 times the player would have been in the box instead of checking a guy head first Into the boards in the final 2 minutes. If the law got involved by the player who got beat up In the fight he would be charged with assault as well and possibly another charge for the boarding. The guy tried to fight but he just got whooped like the fake tough guy he is. Both guys are suspended for at least a game. The guy on our team that got boarded is out for a bit more than likely.
That is the problem with your league. See what happens in a proper league? Indefinite suspensions/permanent. Stats - Capital City Recreational Hockey League

Yukon Joe

Aug 3, 2011
YWG -> YXY -> YEG
That is the problem with your league. See what happens in a proper league? Indefinite suspensions/permanent. Stats - Capital City Recreational Hockey League

I play in that league, but never saw that page before. Interesting. (and thankfully my team doesn't show up on that list).

I wonder what the hell happened to Division 13 team Cedars - 5 guys suspended until the end of the season...

No.

I don't care what the other guy did. It does not excuse "slams the dude head first into the ice and gets on top of him hitting him ufc style".

If the reffing is that bad in your league go find another league. Nothing excuses trying to injure another player out on the ice.

Outl4w

Dec 16, 2011
FL
I play in that league, but never saw that page before. Interesting. (and thankfully my team doesn't show up on that list).

I wonder what the hell happened to Division 13 team Cedars - 5 guys suspended until the end of the season...

No.

I don't care what the other guy did. It does not excuse "slams the dude head first into the ice and gets on top of him hitting him ufc style".

If the reffing is that bad in your league go find another league. Nothing excuses trying to injure another player out on the ice.
Yeah I would but don't have the time to drive an hour to the next closest rink anymore. This is the only rink 20 minutes or less from my house. The next closest rink is at least an hour away depending on traffic. I agree no one should be trying to hurt someone in a beer league non-checkingeague and especially cross checked them from behind head first in the boards at full speed. It all goes down to if the rink isn't protecting or policing the player, then the players end up policing themselves. The refs are not calling blatant penalties and letting games get out of hand by repeat offenders.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad