News Article: Mendes: Senators' problems were bigger than Jason Spezza

SilverSeven

Apr 16, 2007
Ottawa, Ontario
He's going to be our number 1 center, first line winger, and # 2 defender all on his own?

we have 2 first line players in karlsson and ryan. We're missing 3. even if zibanejad becomes your 70 point good first line center, we're still missing a first line winger and a number 2 dman.

I think both Cowen and Ceci are on track to be top pairing guys.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
As long as they keep improving they could be one of the deadliest second pairings in the League

Still very far away from happening though, but when Cowen has a good game he's insane

SilverSeven

Apr 16, 2007
Ottawa, Ontario
Phillips and Volchenkov were the #1 pairing on very, very good teams. They got most of the playing time with the Pizza line. Of course they qualify in your "1st line" scenario. Foligno is a first liner now and Captain of the All-star team. Emery was the starter on a team that went to the finals. Fisher was a first liner on Nashville.

But hey... You have an agenda...

This is a bit misleading. Phillips and Volchenkov became a pairing after Chara left and were the second pairing behind Reden - Meszaros.

The team went into a serious decline when Volchenkov and Phillips became our first pairing. Both were legitimate top 4 guys, I would say above average for second pairing but not quite top pair calibre at any point in their careers.

Phillips was The Hockey News pick for the Norris going into the 07-08 season. He was certainly a top pairing guy.

SlapJack

Scum bag Sens
Dec 6, 2010
I just feel like a Norris caliber d and vezina caliber goalie were bigger, more important pieces. Neither drafted by the bruins.

They were important, you just can't cherry pick FA pickups and ignore the rest of the team.

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
They were important, you just can't cherry pick FA pickups and ignore the rest of the team.

So then you agree with me? my point was to people who said we cant get our top players by ufa signings...we have to build through the draft. I was simply showing its a mix of all 3.

We need high draft picks. We also need to get top ufas to sign here.We also need to make trades. That is the easiest way to get a cup.

Drafting middle of the pack and hoping you get lucky a bunch isnt the way to go.

Busboy

Jul 29, 2011
Phillips was The Hockey News pick for the Norris going into the 07-08 season. He was certainly a top pairing guy.

He was a top pairing guy when he was paired with Chara. He was a great player and I have no issue saying that. At his peak he was an excellent #3 D-man and he was capabale of playing top minutes when paired with Norris calibre guys like Redden and a Chara.

When asked to hold down the spot of #1 or #2 he was never able to do it.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
He was paired with Volchenkov back then and they were the shutdown pair and back then the shutdown pair was the top pair

That was an insane pairing

Real Smart Sens Fan

Jun 14, 2014
He was a top pairing guy when he was paired with Chara. He was a great player and I have no issue saying that. At his peak he was an excellent #3 D-man and he was capabale of playing top minutes when paired with Norris calibre guys like Redden and a Chara.

This sounds more like SenateRevision than SenateReform...

SilverSeven

Apr 16, 2007
Ottawa, Ontario

Holy moly...did you watch the Sens in the last decade?

Holdurbreathe

Jun 22, 2006
Ontario
I really do think having a D man that can pass the puck out controlled and not give it away all the time will make the team better yes. Yes I think that. What may I ask about that opinion needs help. Please enlighten me.

The D core is already huge, slow, stupid and lacks skill how many guys do you think a team should dress like that? Its not 1999 its clearly not working in todays NHL.

Id love to see this 6 dress sometime. Only two guys that struggle at moving the puck out of 6 and everyone is on there natural side with a puck mover on each pair. Phillips and Gryba were a mitigated disaster last night, constantly stuck in the zone and momentum killers when they were on the ice.

Methot Karlsson
Cowen Ceci
Borowiecki Wideman

I did recognize the team is inexperienced that's EXACTLY what I am saying. I suggested accumulating top end assets and building towards a time that the core gets more experience and improves. How you had trouble deciphering this from my post is hard for me to understand. :help:

What needs help is the fact Wideman has never played a game in the NHL and you somehow believe he is better than Gryba for the role on the 3rd pairing.

Have you even watched him play in the AHL?? While he is having a stellar offensive season, he isn't NHL ready from what I have seen and probably explains why his callup consisted of ZERO minutes dressed or played.

Off the Wideman topic, Phillips and Gryba weren't a disaster.

Things that stood out in my mind, Turris checking his man if front of the net by standing still and waving his stick.

Lehner not having a great night.

Forwards failing to clear the zone by screwing up 6" passes.

And for the umpteenth time this season many players deciding the second period was a time for rest, to the extent there was even a 5 on 2 break for Dallas.

These things were a disaster.

While Phillips definitely struggled, his problems paled in comparison to what many of the forwards brought in the second period.

I realize blaming the D has become the norm on this board, but there are six players on the ice and only two are D.

IMO the other 4 deserve a fair amount of scrutiny most games and seem to get a pass unless their names are Michalek or Greening.

jason9090spezza

Oct 19, 2014
Japan
lol, this is nothing too special. It was obvious that the moment when Spezza said adios to the team, the Sens no longer had enough power to compete against other teams.

U could say whatever u want, but Spezza was a crucial part whenever there was a team success. Karlsson and Spezza benefitted a lot playing together, so it was kind of obvious that he won't be as effective as he would be with Spezza.

The offensive depth is weak. Just face the reality. This team doesn't have a legit #1 center. Turris is great, but he looked so good because he played BEHIND Spezza and was the 2nd line guy for the team.

The biggest problem this team has is that this so-called "rebuild" that the organization has being blabbering about has continued for litterally 6-7 years. Some guys had to be dealt (Emery, Heatley, Fisher) but the management completely tore down the core and the depth. I think parting ways with guys like Kelly and Vermette was the biggest failure this team has ever made. They might not be Alfie, Heatley, and Spezza, but they don't come by so often. And just look at how they have been playing after leaving Ottawa. Kelly became one of the best depth players in the Bruins, and was a key part in the Cup run in 2011, while Vermette became a really good top 6 player with a unique mix of skill, speed, and PK talent. Volchenkov leaving was huge...but again, that wasn't really the teams fault. There were players that were clearly giving headaches to the team, but one has to admit that it's not ONLY the players fault as to why players are wanting to leave this organization.

A huge chunk of fans in this team are so delusional sometimes. This organization AND the fans (yes, the fans as well. Don't try to justify or damage-control it) are responsible for the key players wanting out of town. After all these "trade Spezza" nonsense, this team finally got that done. So has the team made any improvement? Or are there still fans out there that are going to justify Spezza not being on the roster by pulling out the "pesky Sens" mantra from few years ago:laugh:

I'm just beyond disappointment as to how much the organization as a whole fell apart since the hey-days. This "rebuild" or whatever people want to call it has done NOTHING to the team overall. In fact, I think the team has gotten much worse. So when is this "rebuild" going to end? Or is the organization/fan base going to kick another player out of town.

Sorry if it doesn't make any sense. I just wanted to get the frustration off of my chest.

blahblah3

Jan 8, 2010
A huge chunk of fans in this team are so delusional sometimes. This organization AND the fans (yes, the fans as well. Don't try to justify or damage-control it) are responsible for the key players wanting out of town. After all these "trade Spezza" nonsense, this team finally got that done. So has the team made any improvement? Or are there still fans out there that are going to justify Spezza not being on the roster by pulling out the "pesky Sens" mantra from few years ago:laugh:

Of course they have improved, other than Dallas who are significantly worse with Spezza. Shots on goal are up, shots against are down, turn overs are down, take aways are up, consistency is way up since we got a new coach, and the team is significantly faster and are better at breaking out of their end.
Meanwhile Spezza on most nights is a non-factor, secondary player who is basically only on the team due to the PP.

The only thing this team needs right now is a solid D-man.

Filatov2Kovalev2Bonk

Effortless sexy.
Jul 13, 2006
Cumberland
Of course they have improved, other than Dallas who are significantly worse with Spezza. Shots on goal are up, shots against are down, turn overs are down, take aways are up, consistency is way up since we got a new coach, and the team is significantly faster and are better at breaking out of their end.
Meanwhile Spezza on most nights is a non-factor, secondary player who is basically only on the team due to the PP.

The only thing this team needs right now is a solid D-man.

We're 10 points out of the playoffs, are going to miss the post-season for a second straight year and three out of five and we have not replaced Spezza on the PP or his production up front.

The team needs:
1-2 second pairing D and a replacement for Methot if he leaves.
A #1 C, a #1 LW, a #1 RW
A real coach, not just a guy that shines Melnyk's shoes.
A new GM, who moves away from Big Slow Stupid on "D" into a d-corps that can move in the new NHL.

It's not even worth getting upset about anymore. This is Bryan Murray's toy to play with, Melnyk is a delusional moron and we just have to wait out the current regime until we finally get an elite team.
Hopefully that happens in the next 10 years or so.

Sens Rule

Sep 22, 2005

That is garbage. First Redden NEVER played with Phillips ever as a pairing. They play the same side.

Philchenkov was our number one pairing when we we to the STANLEY CUP FINALS.

Did you even cheer for this team post lockout? Phillips was an awesome D with both Chara and Volchenkov as partners.

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
Phillips was on a lot of magazine's short list for the Norris halfway through the 2007-08 season.

IIRC, both The Hockey News and TSN both had him as either their half-season vote for the trophy, or as a runner up.

One magazine had us winning the cup 2 years ago the summer after the Montreal series win.

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
Phillips was on a lot of magazine's short list for the Norris halfway through the 2007-08 season.

IIRC, both The Hockey News and TSN both had him as either their half-season vote for the trophy, or as a runner up.
I don't remember that at all.

But I'm sure there must have been some HFBoards threads about it??

More like 1 analyst made a comment on how well he was playing

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad