Men vs Women soccer

MrazeksVengeance

VENGEANCE
Feb 27, 2018
Of course diving is a thing, but soccer is played with very little protective equipment so there is oftentimes also very real pain when contact occurs.
Also, the fact you play with your feet makes you less balanced in general.

That being said, average European/Latin American/African/Middle Easterner grew up playing and watching at least a bit of football and is able to recognize diving in most cases, because natural fall has completely different crash course.

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
Sorry, but I don’t associate feigning injury with professionalism.

If you would prefer to characterize it as putting victory ahead of honourable conduct then I would agree.

Pretending that something happened that didn’t to trick a referee is not what I would call professional behaviour.

And again, I’m making a distinction between diving (which is sometimes required to emphasize a subtle foul to the ref) and holding your face in abject pain and rolling around like an idiot after knocking ankles with someone.

The fact that this is condoned or even encouraged in some soccer cultures shows the gap between North American sporting culture and other parts of the world.

All that stuff happens in North American major sports as well. There's flopping in the NHL, NFL and NBA. And in football there's strategically timed 'injury breaks' that allow teams to recover.

And when it comes to cheating and winning at all cost mentality..even soccer would struggle to surpass college sports in the U.S. where many behaviors are more in line with organized crime than a reputable sporting body.

The difference really isn't between 'sporting cultures'. It is between sports with enough stakes attached to create a victory-at-all-cost obsession vs sports that most of the time are solely done for the personal benefit of the athlete and only once every few years generate any attention.

And as much as you talk up public interest into women's soccer in North America - hardly anyone knows or cares what these women are up to on a Wednesday in November. Meanwhile the men's soccer players might be playing on a rainy night in Stoke or in a CL showpiece in San Siro on that Wednesday. In both cases watched by large numbers of people with every single one of their actions having a potentially large echo.

Reactions: cgf

MrazeksVengeance

VENGEANCE
Feb 27, 2018
Women soccer is actually when better to watch than men.
Not in terms of skill and tactics. It's a pity M dive like wusses, but W football is watered down version in everything except sportsmanship.
It hasn't found its way into the women's game yet because there's not as much on the line in terms of money and professionalism.
Yeah, too much money in it and no one in FIFA or UEFA has done enough to dissuade players from it. It's quite sadly just pure pragmatism.
Love your avatar. I wonder how many people recognize, Bud Spencer??
I sure as hell do. My dad grew up watching films with him and T. Hill. Bud Spencers punch to the top of the head is a staple of many childhoods.
And Olympic women's soccer is way better than Men's Olympic soccer, because FIFA set rules to make sure the Olympics weren't anything special to protect the World Cup; and just didn't care enough about women's soccer to do the same. So the Olympics and Women's World Cup are the two major events. For men, the Olympics are a weird slot between the U-23 championships and the Continental championships.
Yeah, Men's Olympics are watered down version compared to Euro or Copa, not to mention the Worlds.
Penalty kick account for a solid 30% or all scores.
https://www.driblab.com/driblab-en/how-significant-are-penalties-in-european-football/

Ok, so you pulled the first number out of thin air, I will just go on a limb and say the others are made up as well.
The mens money comes from immense marketing,corruption and tradition.
Because it attracts more people. That thing could play a role, no? Comparing football to ski jumping is a bit odd, given the difference in money flow of each sport.
As the numbers increase, the talent level will increase and you will end up with women's tennis, which in my opinion is as good if not better than the men's game.
Men's tennis imho "suffers" from the long-term consistency of Federer, Nadal and Djokovic. For the past 10 or more years, you could have predicted winner of Men's RG just by checking if Nadal is healthy.
But if we can learn to support both, support with enough energy and enthusiasm, so that pile B grows enough to provide for adequate funding, then the women's game can grow and flourish on its own. It may remain a tier or two below the men's game, but that will still make it entertaining enough.
Make rich people see if there is money in it and the funding comes in. But first, you need some spurt in the interest of us sports-watching folks. We have a wide array of things to watch already. And if I am picking up a W sport, I am not going with football. It is already a fairly slow sport and this is just highlighted in W matches.
Soccer can be absolutely nasty and bloody.
Less protection and less balance. You control your speed and the ball with the exact same part of the body
Womens handball however I enjoy alot.
That's fun. And the ladies can be sometimes brutal. I love it.

Reactions: QuietContrarian

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
All that stuff happens in North American major sports as well.

Not even close to the same extent.

This stuff is laughable.

TheMoreYouKnow said:
And when it comes to cheating and winning at all cost mentality..even soccer would struggle to surpass college sports in the U.S. where many behaviors are more in line with organized crime than a reputable sporting body.

Depends how familiar you are with Calciopoli.

MrazeksVengeance

VENGEANCE
Feb 27, 2018
It also doesn't hurt that the women's teams in USA and Canada are better than their male counterparts
Because they can blow up rest of the world as W football has smaller number of elite teams.
The fact that this is condoned or even encouraged in some soccer cultures shows the gap between North American sporting culture and other parts of the world.
Maybe I watched too much NBA lately, but that gap, while still visible has gotten smaller over the years at least in my opinion. On the other hand NA "beat 'em up, 'cuz we lack the skill" approach in sports has become less prevalent as well.

Wonders of globalization.
And yet, in North America, the US women’s team outdraws the men’s team and I’ll wager that more Americans know who Mia Hamm, Megan Rapinoe and Hope Solo are compared with Donovan, Pulisic and Bradley.

The pressure on the women’s team is absolutely greater than the men’s team in the United States - expectations are higher and due to political statements, there’s a whole raft of people rooting for them to fail.

Trump Says ‘Leftist Maniacs' Cost U.S. Women's Soccer Team a Gold Medal

Even in Canada, as big as Alphonso Davies is, I’ll bet more people know of Christine Sinclair.
Yeah, but in a big chunk of the rest of the world, football is almost religion. From Rio the Janeiro to Moscow. From Cairo to Tijuana. FRom Lisbon to Istanbul.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Yeah, but in a big chunk of the rest of the world, football is almost religion. From Rio the Janeiro to Moscow. From Cairo to Tijuana. From Lisbon to Istanbul.

More Canadians play soccer than hockey.

But a big reason for that is how many girls and women play soccer here.

MrazeksVengeance said:
On the other hand NA "beat 'em up, 'cuz we lack the skill" approach in sports has become less prevalent as well.

A lot of that appears to have arisen with the new scrutiny on the long-term consequences of concussions.

Hitting people in the head used to be cheered, then tolerated, now jeered.

Both football and hockey have taken a deliberate direction away from physical contact particularly when targeting the head.

MrazeksVengeance

VENGEANCE
Feb 27, 2018
More Canadians play soccer than hockey.

But a big reason for that is how many girls and women play soccer here.

A lot of that appears to have arisen with the new scrutiny on long-term consequences of concussions.
Doesn't really matter at all to three and half of other continents (LatAm, Eur, Afr, half of Asia).

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
The amount of Canadians playing football. Because it's a measly number in the large scheme of the sport.

The point is that Canada is known primarily as a hockey country and yet more people play soccer here.

To put it another way, Canada has 2-3 times as many registered soccer players as Sweden.

What we don't have is adequate facilities and coaching.

MrazeksVengeance

VENGEANCE
Feb 27, 2018
The point is that Canada is known primarily as a hockey country and yet more people play soccer here.
I'd say that's because of the difference in accessibility. Hockey is expensive. I'd say Czech republic is close to 50/50 in terms of popularity of these two, but football will have much larger playerbase because even a small village just needs a pitch, a ball and 11 pairs of cleats.

And I am pretty sure a lot of immigrants come from countries where football is the number one sport. Hockey's issue is the dependence on climate. Which saddens me. Polynesians have great somatotypes to play hockey (as seen in rugby), but I probably won't see a good New Zealand team ice hockey in my life.

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
Depends how familiar you are with Calciopoli.

Soccer can get pretty dirty, sure, my point was that college sports are extremely dirty with all sorts of cheating going on. And the fact that those activities are often supported by 'pillars of the community' and officials in respected institutions shows that beyond a certain point the mixture of passion, desire to win and large sums of money leads to corruption as sure as night follows day and that's nothing to do with whether we're talking Italy or Nebraska.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Soccer can get pretty dirty, sure, my point was that college sports are extremely dirty with all sorts of cheating going on. And the fact that those activities are often supported by 'pillars of the community' and officials in respected institutions shows that beyond a certain point the mixture of passion, desire to win and large sums of money leads to corruption as sure as night follows day and that's nothing to do with whether we're talking Italy or Nebraska.

That’s fair, but I’m not sure how far you can extend that argument into every aspect of on-field behaviour.

Ultimately diving and feigning injury are legitimate fouls that are basically ignored entirely as the rarity of those calls has firmly shifted the risk-reward behaviour massively to support doing so at every opportunity.

Refs don’t want to decide a game based on the mere appearance of a dive but they end up doing so anyway when a penalty is awarded or a player is sent off for something marginal or non-existent.

Awarding suspensions going forward through video review after games might help, I don't know.

Last edited:

Uncle Rotter

May 11, 2010
Kelowna, B.C.
It wasn't that long ago that no European countries had noteworthy women's soccer teams. Hell, my wife's team went to England and played teams like Arsenal in the late 1990s on an even-footing.
Canada lost to England at the 1995 World Cup (they lost to Norway by 7 at the same event). Norway beat Germany in the Final that year.

Beech

Cicc' a porta
Nov 25, 2020
Not in terms of skill and tactics. It's a pity M dive like wusses, but W football is watered down version in everything except sportsmanship.
------------
That's fun. And the ladies can be sometimes brutal. I love it.
you must have been bored. A slow day????

Can you send me a link on how magnets work.

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
To me, the importance of the competition makes it better. College sports is not as good as the highest level of competition.

Any male college team would win the Women's gold, it's just the highest level for women. Everyone should have a chance to compete. But the quality is not close.

MrazeksVengeance

VENGEANCE
Feb 27, 2018
you must have been bored. A slow day????

Can you send me a link on how magnets work.
No, not really. Actually had a great day, had some wonderful news, but that's not the point.

Football has a steady, but fairly slow pace compared to sports like hockey, basketball or gridiron. Games are fairly low-scoring and comebacks are very hard (which makes such matches all the more enticing). This pace is even slower in W games. And I am not even that versed in terms of football tactics because people that are can see the complexities in M games and the lack of them in W games.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad