Men vs Women soccer

Hansem1979

Jun 25, 2021
Watching the Women match of Canada vs Chile currently, very nice match but something struck me.

I always had difficulty watching soccer because I find it hilarious that this is by far the easiest sports to play from a physical standpoint ( you basically only need cardio ) and yet players are crying hysterically and looking like huge crybabies as soon as they are touched ( sometimes even when they are not touched, basically faking the whole thing )

Yet, to my big surprise, the women are not doing it at all. When they are hit they get right back up, and right back into it like real athletes compared to men.

kudos ladies, Women soccer is actually when better to watch than men. Not sure why the men play it like they do.

I mean could you imagine an NHL player actually crying because the refs missed a call? Well in soccer it happens quite often.

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
Of course diving is a thing, but soccer is played with very little protective equipment so there is oftentimes also very real pain when contact occurs.

Siamese Dream

Feb 5, 2011
United Britain of Great Kingdom
Of course diving is a thing, but soccer is played with very little protective equipment so there is oftentimes also very real pain when contact occurs.

I remember hearing somewhere in response to criticism of soccer players "try jogging multiple laps around a field and then suddenly sprint and get your friend to push you to the ground and see if you can get up straight away"

However that being said, I played rugby most of my life and even as a child you'd come away from games with multiple "stud mark" bruises and have no idea how you got them because you just didn't feel it at the time because you were made of sterner stuff compared to football players.

Most of it is generally just gamesmanship though and trying to influence the referee, "if you're not cheating you're not trying" and all that. It hasn't found its way into the women's game yet because there's not as much on the line in terms of money and professionalism.

KevFu

May 22, 2009
Phoenix from Rochester via New Orleans
Watching the Women match of Canada vs Chile currently, very nice match but something struck me.

I always had difficulty watching soccer because I find it hilarious that this is by far the easiest sports to play from a physical standpoint ( you basically only need cardio ) and yet players are crying hysterically and looking like huge crybabies as soon as they are touched ( sometimes even when they are not touched, basically faking the whole thing )

Yet, to my big surprise, the women are not doing it at all. When they are hit they get right back up, and right back into it like real athletes compared to men.

kudos ladies, Women soccer is actually when better to watch than men. Not sure why the men play it like they do.

I mean could you imagine an NHL player actually crying because the refs missed a call? Well in soccer it happens quite often.

It's always been a really weird dynamic in the differences between the nature of women's soccer players and men's soccer players.

You pointed out the difference in terms of the diving/embellishing, but the attitude each gender has after fouls is hilarious as well. There's not much trash talk by men's college soccer players, but there's way more among women's college players.

The guys accept that "I was running, he wanted to stop me, so he tripped me" and therefore, they spend their efforts trying to fool the official into a call.
The women's players take it a lot more personally when they're fouled. They're cursing each other out, dropping Bs and Cs at each other, threatening to murder, or steal the boyfriend, or seduce the dad of those who fouled them.

If you're not really into soccer, WOMEN'S SOCCER is the better entry point to be a fan than men's soccer. Because there's no flopping and plays take longer to develop so you can really learn how teams build towards offense.

And Olympic women's soccer is way better than Men's Olympic soccer, because FIFA set rules to make sure the Olympics weren't anything special to protect the World Cup; and just didn't care enough about women's soccer to do the same. So the Olympics and Women's World Cup are the two major events. For men, the Olympics are a weird slot between the U-23 championships and the Continental championships.

Hansem1979

Jun 25, 2021
It's always been a really weird dynamic in the differences between the nature of women's soccer players and men's soccer players.

You pointed out the difference in terms of the diving/embellishing, but the attitude each gender has after fouls is hilarious as well. There's not much trash talk by men's college soccer players, but there's way more among women's college players.

The guys accept that "I was running, he wanted to stop me, so he tripped me" and therefore, they spend their efforts trying to fool the official into a call.
The women's players take it a lot more personally when they're fouled. They're cursing each other out, dropping Bs and Cs at each other, threatening to murder, or steal the boyfriend, or seduce the dad of those who fouled them.

If you're not really into soccer, WOMEN'S SOCCER is the better entry point to be a fan than men's soccer. Because there's no flopping and plays take longer to develop so you can really learn how teams build towards offense.

And Olympic women's soccer is way better than Men's Olympic soccer, because FIFA set rules to make sure the Olympics weren't anything special to protect the World Cup; and just didn't care enough about women's soccer to do the same. So the Olympics and Women's World Cup are the two major events. For men, the Olympics are a weird slot between the U-23 championships and the Continental championships.

Awesome, thanks for the info, helps a lot to understand

Beech

Cicc' a porta
Nov 25, 2020
diving in football/soccer.

Most soccer scores; 1-0. 1-1. 2-0, 2-1. In extreme case you may get a 3-0, 3-1, 3-2 game.

Penalty kick account for a solid 30% or all scores. Free kicks in the area close to the 18 yard box are a solid 30%. So about 60% of all goals are thanks to fouls.

Lions share of all games are a combined 1-3 goals. It makes fouls the single largest deciding factor in who wins and who looses and therefore diving becomes significant.

Football/soccer's issue is not diving. It is how to minimize the impact that fouls have on outcomes. Football needs to get scoring up thanks to natural play. This will reduce the impact of diving. Good luck with that one!!

member 305909

The US women's soccer team who are the world champions once played against a bunch of 15 year old school boys and lost something like 5-0.

The leading player of that US women's team once said that female players should be paid as much as men. One can't help asking where does she think the money comes from that men get paid.

Eisen

Sep 30, 2009
Duesseldorf
The US women's soccer team who are the world champions once played against a bunch of 15 year old school boys and lost something like 5-0.

The leading player of that US women's team once said that female players should be paid as much as men. One can't help asking where does she think the money comes from that men get paid.
Does it matter that they lost against boys? Are they the peers they have to compete with? The mens money comes from immense marketing,corruption and tradition. Do you think they get money for being the best? They don't. Men's money exploded because rich people think they can get a return of investment exploiding the tradition of clubs. That's all there is to it. And it's the thing, by the way, that killed a good part of footy. Real should still be bitchslapped for paying what they did to Figo. The CL should still be bitchslapped for killing a once great competition, the investors in the EPL should be slapped as well. Etc, etc. That's all marketing on the back of tradition. Norwegian skijumping does it right. Equal pay for men and women regardless of the money generated.

Last edited:
Sep 19, 2008
Women aren't as athletic but dive less

Men you see constant diving and flopping and they don't get up for like 3 minutes

A woman gets tackled and gets right back up

Beech

Cicc' a porta
Nov 25, 2020
Does it matter that they lost against boys? Are they the peers they have to compete with? The mens money comes from immense marketing,corruption and tradition. Do you think they get money for being the best? They don't. Men's money exploded because rich people think they can get a return of investment exploiding the tradition of clubs. That's all there is to it. And it's the thing, by the way, that killed a good part of footy. Real should still be bitchslapped for paying what they did to Figo. The CL should still be bitchslapped for killing a once great competition, the investors in the EPL should be slapped as well. Etc, etc. That's all marketing on the back of tradition. Norwegian skijumping does it right. Equal pay for men and women regardless of the money generated.
so, you are Thiago, Rudiger, et all on Chelsea...you believe that they should combine the women's club and the men's. And split salaries that way??

When Chelsea (men) play in-front of 50 plus thousand and a world wide audience of 1 million to 100 million (depending on the game). And are in the Champions league finals. Generating somewhere in the neighborhood of 60 million US. While the women draw flies.

We take the roughly 160 million Lb Senior men's team salary. Add it to the 2 million lb women's salary. And divide into 2 piles. So about 81 million per side.

Is this what you mean?

Can you please let the senior men's squad know that their salaries are now effectively cut in half. I am sure that they will welcome this. I am guessing that most of the 25 player senior roster have already reached out to Abromovich asking for that. In fact, the next EPL strike will most likely be players wanting to evenly split the salary pot. I am guessing this is item one on Mark Bullingham's agenda. if not almost surely on Sir David Richards' agenda.

I heard that the reason Lebron is angry is because the NBA would not agree with a 50/50 revenue split with the WNBA. He didn't want 40 million per year, wanted 20!!!! For some strange reason Adam Silver fights him on it.

Eisen

Sep 30, 2009
Duesseldorf
so, you are Thiago, Rudiger, et all on Chelsea...you believe that they should combine the women's club and the men's. And split salaries that way??

When Chelsea (men) play in-front of 50 plus thousand and a world wide audience of 1 million to 100 million (depending on the game). And are in the Champions league finals. Generating somewhere in the neighborhood of 60 million US. While the women draw flies.

We take the roughly 160 million Lb Senior men's team salary. Add it to the 2 million lb women's salary. And divide into 2 piles. So about 81 million per side.

Is this what you mean?

Can you please let the senior men's squad know that their salaries are now effectively cut in half. I am sure that they will welcome this. I am guessing that most of the 25 player senior roster have already reached out to Abromovich asking for that. In fact, the next EPL strike will most likely be players wanting to evenly split the salary pot. I am guessing this is item one on Mark Bullingham's agenda. if not almost surely on Sir David Richards' agenda.

I heard that the reason Lebron is angry is because the NBA would not agree with a 50/50 revenue split with the WNBA. He didn't want 40 million per year, wanted 20!!!! For some strange reason Adam Silver fights him on it.
Yes, that's what I mean. I'm sure the men will survive.

Habsfunk

Jan 11, 2003
BC
Visit site
I can understand the logic behind diving in soccer and it doesn't really bug me. When a player flops around like his leg is broken to draw a penalty, then quickly gets up and is back to normal after about five seconds of limping around, that just looks bad.

If I have the ball and I get tripped up a little, it might not be enough for me to fall down, but it might cause me to lose the ball. It makes sense to dive to get the call rather than lose possession. As mentioned, 60% of goals are the result of fouls, so the game rewards taking a dive. But the flopping around afterwards is just embarrassing. And it's easy to tell when someone is hurt, because an injured person doesn't toss and turn, they stay still.

Reactions: MrazeksVengeance

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
I consider women's soccer a separate sport. One I'm not really interested in at all. I think I've watched 2 or 3 women's games in my life, and it's just not giving me any joy whatsoever. I don't begrudge the ladies their fun though, and wish them all the best. Just don't expect to be treated like a superstar because there's a man doing something similar who is treated like one.

Beech

Cicc' a porta
Nov 25, 2020
I consider women's soccer a separate sport. One I'm not really interested in at all. I think I've watched 2 or 3 women's games in my life, and it's just not giving me any joy whatsoever. I don't begrudge the ladies their fun though, and wish them all the best. Just don't expect to be treated like a superstar because there's a man doing something similar who is treated like one.
I am no feminist, but they are simply asking for people to support them as independent entities. Alex Morgan does not want to be Ronaldo. She wants respect as a pro athlete.

I very much disagree with those that seem to feel we need to take from pile A to give to pile B. That is unfair. The USA's title 9, forced universities to even up scholarships..It worked great, schools cut men's programs to meet it. The feminists loved it. The young man hoping to get a scholarship to go to university got screwed.

But if we can learn to support both, support with enough energy and enthusiasm, so that pile B grows enough to provide for adequate funding, then the women's game can grow and flourish on its own. It may remain a tier or two below the men's game, but that will still make it entertaining enough.

Watch women's soccer again. Notice the differences...It is about ball possession and ball movement. No 50 yard kicks to get out of trouble. You must constantly move the ball around. No rapid brakes down the middle to be at the end of the 50 yard pass.. And so on. The game is far more free flowing, far less jagged, far less stops and starts, far less Off-sides. Far less testosterone, so no fighting and diving and other crap. As the numbers increase, the talent level will increase and you will end up with women's tennis, which in my opinion is as good if not better than the men's game.

Eisen

Sep 30, 2009
Duesseldorf
Women want to be paid like the men? Sell your television rights for the same amount the men do, get the same attendance the men do, get the same viewing figures the men do

That's fair, not the rubbish your keen on
I disagree. The marketing machine is what makes men's footy big. That and the tradition that women's footy was denied by the footy federation for the longest time. Their starting positions are not the same and it's not because the sport is inferior.
We have a different understanding of what's fair.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
I disagree. The marketing machine is what makes men's footy big. That and the tradition that women's footy was denied by the footy federation for the longest time. Their starting positions are not the same and it's not because the sport is inferior.
We have a different understanding of what's fair.

Nope, men's football was massively popular long before big marketing got involved, most of the big clubs were founded over 100 years ago

Woman's football and football leagues is propped up using money from the men's game, they even try to market it so woman and girls will want to be more involved in the game, unfortunately it's an inferior product and nobody cares unless it's a world cup or Olympics

Fair is getting what you earn and the woman clearly haven't earned the rewards the men have

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
Time will show I would say.

If my parents had a daughter rather than me - a son - there wouldn't really be much of a possibility to take me to a football game watching women play. The city I grew up in did have a women's team, but those would be 100% amateur players with no spectators. While the men's team were fully professional and with close to 20k in the stands the whole experience would be completely different. In some cities this is now changing. Where fathers can take their daughters to a women's game and you would watch fully professional players with thousands in the stands (not as many spectators as the men, but still somewhat comparable).

In Norway you do have sports where the women's game is now more popular. And there are cities where handball will attract more spectators to the women's game than the men's.

A side comment on football. Boy have the women's game developed. I have played with and against one player who has played for many years in the English Premier League and I happen to live very close to where the Hegerberg sisters are training during summer. The difference in quality is of course huge, but far smaller than it used to be. Those Hegerberg sisters are great players.

And to the OP. I love how they are not diving etc.

Eisen

Sep 30, 2009
Duesseldorf
Nope, men's football was massively popular long before big marketing got involved, most of the big clubs were founded over 100 years ago

Woman's football and football leagues is propped up using money from the men's game, they even try to market it so woman and girls will want to be more involved in the game, unfortunately it's an inferior product and nobody cares unless it's a world cup or Olympics

Fair is getting what you earn and the woman clearly haven't earned the rewards the men have
Sure it was popular and women wanted to play as well and the federations wouldn't have a part of it. That's how the men's sport was able to flourish and made into the cashcow that it is for some. And the women's sport is not inferior. You calling it a product shows that you buy into the marketing.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018

I also can't stand all the diving and I find the women's game refreshing sometimes. But I've also found that people without soccer experience frequently assume someone is faking it without any understanding of what just happened. A lot of the time injured players are in real pain. I play both sports and I can tell you that having a big man run across your foot in cleats feels sometimes more painful than taking a 90 mph slapper off your skate laces. Soccer can be absolutely nasty and bloody. I'm always more beat up after soccer than hockey.

QuietContrarian

May 28, 2008
Alot of men vs. women threads this Olympics..

Kinda dumb - I can’t agree womens footy is better than mens.
Just not true from any standpoint.

Can’t watch it myself, find the level to low, and too many weird mistakes.

Womens handball however I enjoy alot.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad