Men vs Women soccer

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Women's soccer is vastly more interesting than men's soccer

It also doesn't hurt that the women's teams in USA and Canada are better than their male counterparts

- The US has one of the most successful women's programs in women's soccer history. The US men in comparison are 20th ranked in FIFA and have yet to win a World Cup. The US Women have 4.

- The Canadian women have a history of being good, having medaled Bronze in the last 2 Olympics, and are playing for a shot at gold tonight. In comparison the men's side has not qualified for a world cup since 1986, and their men are (despite Herdman's best efforts) 70th :laugh: ranked in FIFA.

That isn't to say I won't watch the men but the women are clearly better in tournaments and group play. I will still root on the USMNT though!

Your argument here is essentially that the field is weaker in Women's soccer, look no further than the discrepancy between the men's and women's sides in South America. I'm not really sure that's an argument for being vastly more interesting but to each their own.

HFBS

Noted Troublemaker
Jan 18, 2015
Women's soccer is vastly more interesting than men's soccer

It also doesn't hurt that the women's teams in USA and Canada are better than their male counterparts

- The US has one of the most successful women's programs in women's soccer history. The US men in comparison are 20th ranked in FIFA and have yet to win a World Cup. The US Women have 4.

That isn't to say I won't watch the men but the women are clearly better in tournaments and group play. I will still root on the USMNT though!

No, the American women are not better than the men.

The rest of the world - where soccer is king - ignores women's soccer.

The American women win because the rest of the world doesn't give a shit.

The American women's national team (and other national teams) have been soundly beaten by 14 and 15 year old boy's teams.

Sep 19, 2008
Your argument here is essentially that the field is weaker in Women's soccer, look no further than the discrepancy between the men's and women's sides in South America. I'm not really sure that's an argument for being vastly more interesting but to each their own.
But it's not weaker. Europe in general is investing more into women's soccer and Brazil has always been a women's soccer powerhouse.

You saw Canada during the Olympics beat Sweden (again, women's soccer powerhouse) as well as the USA (women's soccer superpower) as well as Brazil IIRC during their gold medal run...

Sep 19, 2008
No, the American women are not better than the men.

The rest of the world - where soccer is king - ignores women's soccer.

The American women's national team (and other national teams) have been soundly beaten by 14 and 15 year old boy's teams.
The American women have won 4 world cups and multiple gold medals in the Olympics

Enlighten me to how many the men have won in their male FIFA or Olympic tournaments...

This narrative was debunked during the Olympics when the us women looked like crap and barely beat the likes of NZ, etc. In FACT the opener to that olympic tournament was a loss to Sweden!

Sadly the Olympics have criteria for qualification (France losing to US in the WWC quarterfinals basically eliminated them from Olympic qualification) so the Olympic tournament did not have some of Europe's best, but if you sit down and watch a WWC you will see that the rest of the world cares about women's soccer. This is a long held fallacy which is very untrue. Women's soccer leagues exist in France, England, and throughout Europe as well as Australia and New Zealand. Saying that the rest of the world does not care about women's soccer is very untrue, especially when the rest of the world fields teams that are now capable of beating the US.

In the past, the US used their Title IX advantage and college developmental programs to have an overwhelming advantage over the rest of the world. Women attended premiere colleges like UNC, Florida, Stanford, et al and carried on a career either in the NWSL or the former WUSA. The rest of the world pretty much caught up to the US in the last WWC, and the latest iteration of the Olympics was a sign that the US is no longer as invincible as they used to be.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I can’t believe this is being debated.

The men of probably any FIFA registered country are better than the woman of the best Women’s National team. Men and women have differences in their physical profiles. This is simple biology. Men and women should not be evaluated on the same plane in athletics, and there are many other areas where comparing them is going to yield a very lopsided result. Why would we want a society either that doesn’t recognize their different functions and values inherent to each sex?

HFBS

Noted Troublemaker
Jan 18, 2015
I can’t believe this is being debated.

The men of probably any FIFA registered country are better than the woman of the best Women’s National team. Men and women have differences in their physical profiles. This is simple biology. Men and women should not be evaluated on the same plane in athletics, and there are many other areas where comparing them is going to yield a very lopsided result. Why would we want a society either that doesn’t recognize their different functions and values inherent to each sex?

Because some people like to live in a fantasy world.

As I said above which he ignored, the US women's national soccer team was soundly beaten by a team of 14 year old boys. Australia's national team was beaten 7-0 by a team of 14 year old boys.

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

Jack Straw

Moving much too slow.
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2010
New York
All I know is if the US women's team is on TV at the same time as the US men, I'm watching the women. It's a much better product.

Last edited:
Reactions: John Price

luiginb

Aug 23, 2007
Barcelona
While I do prefer the women's version of handball and tennis to their male counterparts (less physical strength so the games rely more on technique and skill), I don't think I've ever been able to watch a game of women's football in its entirety. The level is atrocious, and I'm talking Barcelona's women's team here playing in the Champions League.

Sep 19, 2008
Because some people like to live in a fantasy world.

As I said above which he ignored, the US women's national soccer team was soundly beaten by a team of 14 year old boys. Australia's national team was beaten 7-0 by a team of 14 year old boys.
This narrative was debunked during the Olympics when the us women looked like crap and barely beat the likes of NZ, etc. In FACT the opener to that olympic tournament was a loss to Sweden!

Sadly the Olympics have criteria for qualification (France losing to US in the WWC quarterfinals basically eliminated them from Olympic qualification) so the Olympic tournament did not have some of Europe's best, but if you sit down and watch a WWC you will see that the rest of the world cares about women's soccer. This is a long held fallacy which is very untrue. Women's soccer leagues exist in France, England, and throughout Europe as well as Australia and New Zealand. Saying that the rest of the world does not care about women's soccer is very untrue, especially when the rest of the world fields teams that are now capable of beating the US.

In the past, the US used their Title IX advantage and college developmental programs to have an overwhelming advantage over the rest of the world. Women attended premiere colleges like UNC, Florida, Stanford, et al and carried on a career either in the NWSL or the former WUSA. The rest of the world pretty much caught up to the US in the last WWC, and the latest iteration of the Olympics was a sign that the US is no longer as invincible as they used to be.

HFBS

Noted Troublemaker
Jan 18, 2015

As I said above which you ignored, the US women's national soccer team was soundly beaten by a team of 14 year old boys. Australia's national team was beaten 7-0 by a team of 14 year old boys.

Keep blathering on that they're better than the men. :thumbu:

Sep 19, 2008
As I said above which you ignored, the US women's national soccer team was soundly beaten by a team of 14 year old boys. Australia's national team was beaten 7-0 by a team of 14 year old boys.

Keep blathering on that they're better than the men. :thumbu:
let me know when th e US men win a world cup

US Women...4 cups

iu

Jack Straw

Moving much too slow.
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2010
New York
It's more successful.

It's not better.

Depends on how you classify it. Sure, the men play at a higher level because they're faster and stronger. But the US women are a better team, they've done a better job at reaching the top of their sport than the men have. So I consider that a better product.

HFBS

Noted Troublemaker
Jan 18, 2015
So what? There are teams in Triple A that have won more championships than the Texas Rangers. That doesn't mean they are better, it's two different leagues that can't be compared.

There are some people that will not listen to logic or sense. Look at these 'transgender' debacles that are going on now; men beating women's records by 10 and 20%. And these are men that were also rans among men, not champions. Almost any NYC high school basketball team would annihilate a WNBA team. But the women are really better... :rolleyes:

kingsboy11

Maestro
Dec 14, 2011
USA
Man whatever happend to supporting your own team/ country. I'm not going to pretend that women's soccer is better to watch, but I support the men and women's team because they both play under the same flag and the women just happen to have had more success. I want them both to win. Once Angel City FC kick off in the NWSL this year I'm going to support them as I would the Galaxy.

Reactions: Basement Cat

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
I find watching the top end of women's soccer, such as the FA WSL, about on par with men's leagues like the MLS for entertainment value. Obviously the top end of women's soccer is well below the top end of men's soccer. Women's World Cup and such is always entertaining.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Man whatever happend to supporting your own team/ country. I'm not going to pretend that women's soccer is better to watch, but I support the men and women's team because they both play under the same flag and the women just happen to have had more success. I want them both to win. Once Angel City FC kick off in the NWSL this year I'm going to support them as I would the Galaxy.

I can’t support the USWNT. Their equal pay lawsuit was ridiculous. US Soccer Federation said so initially, which made sense. Why hurt your own organization to further nonsense? They had the President fired because the truth wasn’t PC. They installed a former USWNT player as President. She hurts her organization to help her former team. Only people that benefit are those women because they allege those that disagree with them are sexist. Everyone else loses.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad