Memories - Video / Audio / Articles from the historic 2017-18 championship season

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
I think your first full number is correct. How many of the daily metro riders simply changed their destination. Probably a good bit. It is so hard to get a quality estimate.

A lot of people that live in the area, walked off course. If all the mobile towers in the area didn't become nearly totally dysfunctional, maybe they can easily track mobiles, which is a solid base of a number. Seriously, for major events mobile service cannot be depended upon. I may need to also shop for a caps conference finals champs themed 1998 era Iridium Satellite phone.

At worst, maybe split the difference..... one fiddy!

Reactions: VaCaps Fan

StrikingDistance

Buford T. Justice
Mar 19, 2015
DC
Cheap beer cripples SPF.

Anyone hear a best guess of the official head count? I am thinking all the extra metro riders 125K, plus those that drove or walked, add 25K. Impromptu folks at "work" who joined the fun, must be another 25K. 175K, rounding up, 200K.

Paging National Park Service head counters.

Dear sir:

I only indulge in high-quality suds. I'm not some bottom-bunk dirty water guzzle goon (no offense Goon).

Estimates:
Metro announces more than 800,000 riders on day of Washington Capitals' championship parade

Tuesday: 840,145 riders
Average weekday riders: 612,652
Delta: 227,493

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Hmmm I assume its considered that every person rides twice, to get a head count? I figured you were forced to drink cheap beer if you were buying there.

Oh man I had a great run on my Stella Artois. Every period I drank one, we did great. I forgot to open one at one point, and we got roughed up. I ran to the fridge, and all was well again. I went through just over a case.

A whole new level of glorious superstitions were born!

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Hmmm I assume its considered that every person rides twice, to get a head count? I figured you were forced to drink cheap beer if you were buying there.

Oh man I had a great run on my Stella Artois. Every period I drank one, we did great. I forgot to open one at one point, and we got roughed up. I ran to the fridge, and all was well again. I went through just over a case.

Stelllllaaaaaaa!

StrikingDistance

Buford T. Justice
Mar 19, 2015
DC

Ahh, we had our own but did buy a cheap 6.

Crowd estimates: Based off of overhead pics, the last inauguration was estimated at 160k and there were definitely more people at the parade.

Things to consider:

Fed Gov and commercial companies allowed some workers to take the day off or telecommute and others just played hooky, so there was a bigger proportion of riders that were Caps fans vs typical commuter traffic.

So in my final conclusion, there were like 100 people there +/- 250,000.

Reactions: RandyHolt

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
I got the Wash Post's Capitals Parade section, and see the picture from the history museum AA2. I see 1 kid by the water, and ironically, don't think it's mine. It's probably the only time another kid went to play at the waters edge. I think my kid is lower left just above the sign sitting and eating goldfish.

Last edited:
Reactions: VaCaps Fan

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Great quotes from Nick

"Rough couple of days... awesome

and... finally we started playing hockey like we can party, so that's a good thing. "

Ovi requesting the music be turned off, was awesome. Ummmm

Boys and girls and Babes.

Last edited:

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
I'm watching Ovi's speech every day for the rest of my life. It's just so perfect.

I am so glad he requested the music be killed, and hoist the cup proper one more time, and said his famous not be suck line.

I had watched him hoist it on the ice probably 100 times, until I stopped getting a rush from it. I will watch the parade hoist a lot more too. My tot now celebrates with anything nearby that he lifts over his head, when he scores a goal in the RH Homebase Intramural League. All ages welcome.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

• Czechia vs Switzerland
    Czechia vs Switzerland
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $1,214.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Sweden vs Germany
    Sweden vs Germany
    Wagers: 1