Memories of the Coliseum

mactforcoach

Nov 18, 2008
Drayton Valley Ab
Grand Funk Railroad, Golden Earring, Fleetwood Mac, guess I'm dating myself.

More recently I'll remember Smyth's last game, I was also at his first. During the last cup run when the fans started singing the anthem, it all started here, not in Vancouver

I'll always remember going to games in the glory days for under 10 bucks and thinking it would never change. In some ways it never will as I still call it the Coliseum. The final game this season should be incredible, too bad it's the Canucks I believe. It should have been Calgary.

Dorian2

Define that balance
Jul 17, 2009
Edmonton
you know I can't remember the opening act, but Tesla seems to be ringing a bell. It was the Defenders of the Faith tour.

It was the 1986 Fuel For Life tour. It was Bon Jovi's Slippery when Wet tour in which they backed up Priest..... I think...my memory fades. I thought it was Defenders at first....but I could be wrong.

I DO remember that it was during K-days though, and I watched Bon Jovi leave the building and head to the fair right after their set with his group of roadies and some really wicked looking women.

Up the Irons

Mar 9, 2008
Canada
It was the 1986 Fuel For Life tour. It was Bon Jovi's Slippery when Wet tour in which they backed up Priest. I think...my memory fades. I thought it was Defenders at first....but I could be wrong.

I DO remember that it was during K-days though, and I watched Bon Jovi leave the building and head to the fair right after their set with his group of roadies and some really wicked looking women.

Jon Bon Jovi walking around the K-days grounds?! It's lucky my wife didn't run into him or things may have turned out quite differently!!!! Probably true for most or all of us married dudes with wives between 35 and 50.

Up the Irons

Mar 9, 2008
Canada
'Childhood' memories:
-Opening night November 10, 1974 WHA Oilers vs. Cleveland. My dad's seat was one of several that required last-second armrest attachment.
-My first rock concert in 1976 featuring headliners Bachman-Turner Overdrive who were my favorite band when I was in jr. high.
-Little known (at the time) opening act Cheap Trick stealing the show from KISS 2 nights in a row in 1977.

My memories as a St. John Ambulance first aider (1977-80):
-Funk band Ohio Players appearing before maybe a thousand people during K-Days' old 'Coliseum of Stars' series. They called everybody who was there to come down by the stage and then blew the roof off the place with a fantastic set.
-Being accosted by a member of Triumph's road crew, taken to their dressing room and asked to treat a nasty open callous on the finger of guitarist Rik Emmett. Luckily someone found an actual doctor before I could practice my dubious medical skills on the guy.
-The time that we had to treat a woman who had been burned by some hot coffee that had mysteriously fallen on her from above. We found out later that the coffee had been spilled by Oilers play-by-play man Rod Phillips.
-My favorite in-person Oilers moment when 7th defenceman Ab DeMarco got in the line-up vs the New England Whalers and scored 3 third period goals on booming slapshots from the point (plus a near-miss in OT) to help the Oil secure a tie and a playoff spot in 1978. The Coliseum was far from full but in a full-blown frenzy nonetheless.
-Gretzky's first game as an Oiler in Edmonton vs the Winnipeg Jets when he was listed as #20 in the program (which I still have). He wore #99 btw.

Memories from my adult years:
-Bruce Springsteen (sans E-Street Band) playing here for the first time in October of 1992. After a short intermission halfway through the show he came out and announced the score of the Blue Jays/Braves World Series game.
-The second date I had with my now-wife in 1999 when Gretzky played his final NHL game in Edmonton.
-The night in November 2003 during the 1st intermission of an Oilers/Blackhawks game when the Eskimos brought the Grey Cup (which they had won a couple of days earlier) onto the ice to a huge/spontaneous ovation.

Cool examples. Especially 99's first game.

OilTastic

Embrace The Hate
Oct 5, 2009
St. Albert, Alberta.
my favorite Gretzky WHA moment at the Northlands coliseum was just after he had been traded to the Oilers and he was still 17 and i went to a game, but i can't remember who it was against, but i remember he scored a hat trick against Gerry Desjardins, including a slap shot from just inside the blue line after making a cool move on a d-man. it was the most incredible thing i had ever seen before! Gretz had just eaten up a pretty good pro goalie.

JMoss4Life

Aug 30, 2006
Edmonton,Canada
April 22nd 1991, the oilers beat Gretzky and the Kings in double overtime. Gretzky was taken out the game in the first period after taking a puck to the ear and needing stitches. But the most
Memorable part for me as a 6yr old was when the oilers scored I happened to have my large pop between my legs and as we stood to cheer my pop went flying ontop of the 3 LA king fans in front of me, who I might add had just purchased new white LA Gretzky jerseys during the second period. This is my favourite memory from Rexall as a child being at my first oiler game.

As an Adult

- Triple overtime against the Sharks on my birthday. I paid 170$ for the second last row of the nose bleeds and I'd do it again in a second for playoff hockey

- Also all the world juniors games I was fortunate to go to.

- gags 8 point night was awesome to be at as well

With that said I won't miss Rexall as its a dump now and I can't wait for Rogers place!!! Ha

Last edited:

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
April 22nd 1991, the oilers beat Gretzky and the Kings in double overtime. Gretzky was taken out the game in the first period after taking a puck to the ear and needing stitches. But the most
Memorable part for me as a 6yr old was when the oilers scored I happened to have my large pop between my legs and as we stood to cheer my pop went flying ontop of the 3 LA king fans in front of me, who I might add had just purchased new white LA Gretzky jerseys during the second period.
This is my favourite memory from Rexall as a child being at my first oiler game.

As an Adult

- Triple overtime against the Sharks on my birthday. I paid 170$ for the second last row of the nose bleeds and I'd do it again in a second for playoff hockey

- Also all the world juniors games I was fortunate to go to.

- gags 8 point night was awesome to be at as well

With that said I won't miss Rexall as its a dump now and I can't wait for Rogers place!!! Ha

:laugh: awesome. Really was irked by those fans post-'88 that jumped on the Kings bandwagon.

oilfansixtynine

ɹǝsn pǝɹǝʇsᴉƃǝɹ
Jul 9, 2007
over there
First game for me was when Paul Coffey broke Orr's record for most goals in a season by a defencemen in '86 when I was twelve. Oilers beat the Canucks 8-4..
Couple years later seen Metallica on there Justice tour, Judas Priest opened for them.

Deleted member 241491

It would be the first time I was in the coliseum. Seen Bobby Hull and the jets. I can't remember the year but he had the 2 swedes as his linemates. I could not believe how big the coliseum was. I think I was 12 or 13.

I did see Wayne Gretzky's first goal as a WHA Oilers. Over the blueline, slap shot through a screened goalie, top corner.

First NHL team I seen was Cleveland Barons playing WHA Oilers.

First concert I went to which was a John Denver concert in the mid 80's.
First regular season game for the NHL oilers which was Detroit. My Dad was in Hog heaven as that is his favourite Team.

Season ticket holder for the first 8 years, the oilers were in the NHL. My ticket price was $8, $300 for the year for a high blues ticket in the end that the Zamboni came out. Lots of great games.

Finally, when the Canadians first game to town. I went early to the game as did everyone else, it was so surreal to see robinson, savard, gainey, etc actually in our rink. It was a religious experience.

Last edited by a moderator:

Eskie Jetski

Jun 25, 2004
First Game: Oilers defeating Hartford 5-2 January 30, 1988. Neil Sheehy wears #0 for the Whalers!

Drunken boob next to me one night yelling "Hey Klima! Have another beer!" over and over again.

WWE/WWF shows RAW, SmackDown, Backlash 2004 - mat classics such as Mick Foley vs. Randy Orton, Chris Benoit vs. Steve Austin, RVD vs. Eddie Guerrero ladder match.

Best Oiler games I recall personally attending are Game 4 of 1990 Cup Finals, Game 3 of Detroit and Game 3 of Anaheim in 2006. Also attended all the jersey retirement games.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking

The Rock Circus concerts at Commonwealth were unmatched at least in Edmonton for me. In the Coliseum Yes was a dream come true (one night semi-together to see the incredible musicianship and one night definitely not, a rare opportunity) as likely my favorite band at the time. First concert there Frank Marino was the backup band doing Tales of the Unexpected (for Nazareth). Favorite moment was the Police concert. Lined up overnight to get the best tickets and then got to see an incredible concert with my buds and an awesome bunch of new friends met in the ticket lineup. Its a crime you can't get prime seats now if you're willing to line up for a day to get them.
Went to both of the Rock Circus events which were memorable. However David Bowie/Peter Gabriel concert was legendary as well as Pink Floyd. Rolling Stones and U2, Genesis, shows also up there at Commonwealth.

Frank Marino? Wow. That would have been good to see. Awesome guitarist. I was a fan back in the 70's.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Grand Funk Railroad, Golden Earring, Fleetwood Mac, guess I'm dating myself.

More recently I'll remember Smyth's last game, I was also at his first. During the last cup run when the fans started singing the anthem, it all started here, not in Vancouver

I'll always remember going to games in the glory days for under 10 bucks and thinking it would never change. In some ways it never will as I still call it the Coliseum. The final game this season should be incredible, too bad it's the Canucks I believe. It should have been Calgary.

Another Golden Earring fan? Didn't think there'd be any in this day and age.

As per the final game maybe nucks won't be last game, maybe theres playoffs. :laugh:

I can dream. But yeah, would be great to close out Rexall with some playoffs.

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
First game for me was when Paul Coffey broke Orr's record for most goals in a season by a defencemen in '86 when I was twelve. Oilers beat the Canucks 8-4..
Couple years later seen Metallica on there Justice tour, Judas Priest opened for them.

man, I wish I was old enough to remember good Metallica...I caught the post- Black Album years :cry:

mine is simple: May 1st, 2006

Game 6 against Detroit...bought a single ticket and sat by myself in the nosebleeds. I remember hoping for a single goal just to hear how loud it could get...waited and waited till the 3rd when the magic happened

I still remember checking and re-checking the scoreboard after the game just to make sure I witness a series win and not a dream...

also, Game 3 against Carolina was amazing

and my first NHL game 1993 against the Hawks..Oilers won 4-3 in O.T

tsnTpoint

Apr 2, 2010
Everyone get their April 6, tickets against the Canucks?? (Oilers last game at the Coliseum, assuming they don't make playoffs)

Lets wish this team and the Coliseum off with a bang!!

I was lucky enough to get a pair in the 300 section for $100 a piece from the ticket master re-sale. These are going to be the most expensive tickets in Edmonton since the Stanley cup finals in 2006. (If Oilers don't make the playoffs of course)

The Head Crusher

Re-retired
Jan 3, 2008
Edmonton
First Game: Oilers defeating Hartford 5-2 January 30, 1988. Neil Sheehy wears #0 for the Whalers!

Drunken boob next to me one night yelling "Hey Klima! Have another beer!" over and over again.

WWE/WWF shows RAW, SmackDown, Backlash 2004 - mat classics such as Mick Foley vs. Randy Orton, Chris Benoit vs. Steve Austin, RVD vs. Eddie Guerrero ladder match.

Best Oiler games I recall personally attending are Game 4 of 1990 Cup Finals, Game 3 of Detroit and Game 3 of Anaheim in 2006. Also attended all the jersey retirement games.

Was this you?

Eskie Jetski

Jun 25, 2004
Was this you?

My dress code policy is that I don't wear Oilers jerseys to wrestling shows just like I don't wear wrestling shirts to Oilers games.

Trivia: this wasn't the first time some fans jumped the rail at a WWE/WWF event; and in a ladder match no less! At a 1995 house show in the AgriCom between Razor Ramon and Jeff Jarrett, two mental cases jumped the rail to make a run at Double J and his sidekick Road Dogg Jesse James and got their ***** handed to them! Razor got on the mic after and mockingly applauded Jarrett's ability to fend off "a little old man".

OilNation

Aug 26, 2014
After reading many of these memories, makes me wish I was around in the Gretz era.

I'm only 23 but do have a few good ones at Rexall.

• I remember being taken to a playoff game against Dallas, and our hero in OT... TODD Marchant :yo:
  • I remember Yak's rookie year, had tickets to the last game. I wanted him so bad to get the Calder (None of our other 1st picks got it) I told myself all he has to do is out score Huberdeau and hes got it. What does he do, gets a hatty we embarrass Vancouver. What a night! he still didn't win it.....
  • Also got to see the LA Yak game where he slide down the ice, one of my favorites as I had STR tickets across from the play, he puts it in everyone goes wild he slides towards us, it was as loud as any playoff game I could recall.

Hoping to have a few more memories this year with McDavid:nod:

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
After reading many of these memories, makes me wish I was around in the Gretz era.

• [*]I remember being taken to a playoff game against Dallas, and our hero in OT... TODD Marchant :yo:
  • I remember Yak's rookie year, had tickets to the last game. I wanted him so bad to get the Calder (None of our other 1st picks got it) I told myself all he has to do is out score Huberdeau and hes got it. What does he do, gets a hatty we embarrass Vancouver. What a night! he still didn't win it.....
  • Also got to see the LA Yak game where he slide down the ice, one of my favorites as I had STR tickets across from the play, he puts it in everyone goes wild he slides towards us, it was as loud as any playoff game I could recall.

For a 23 yr old you have a bad memory. Either that or somebody took you all the way to Dallas. ;)

The Head Crusher

Re-retired
Jan 3, 2008
Edmonton
My dress code policy is that I don't wear Oilers jerseys to wrestling shows just like I don't wear wrestling shirts to Oilers games.

Trivia: this wasn't the first time some fans jumped the rail at a WWE/WWF event; and in a ladder match no less! At a 1995 house show in the AgriCom between Razor Ramon and Jeff Jarrett, two mental cases jumped the rail to make a run at Double J and his sidekick Road Dogg Jesse James and got their ***** handed to them! Razor got on the mic after and mockingly applauded Jarrett's ability to fend off "a little old man".

But you did start the "You screwed Souray" chant at Kelley Kelley back when Raw was here in 2011

lakai17

Aug 10, 2006

• I remember being taken to a playoff game against Dallas, and our hero in OT... TODD Marchant :yo:

Good memory for a 5 year old.

OilNation

Aug 26, 2014
For a 23 yr old you have a bad memory. Either that or somebody took you all the way to Dallas. ;)

Well I'll be dammed... I guess my memory when I was 5 was not as good as I thought! Good catch haha I guess I was so caught up with the magic of Todd Marchant when I was that young. Even though my favorite was Dougy!:yo::handclap:

It was Game 3 I was at and I totally forgot it was the Buch who scored in OT

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aQbuTZ_EEIc

If anyone wants to relive the match of that series... (16:00 is Kelly's OT Game 3 winner)

tsnTpoint

Apr 2, 2010
Well I'll be dammed... I guess my memory when I was 5 was not as good as I thought! Good catch haha I guess I was so caught up with the magic of Todd Marchant when I was that young. Even though my favorite was Dougy!:yo::handclap:

It was Game 3 I was at and I totally forgot it was the Buch who scored in OT

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aQbuTZ_EEIc

If anyone wants to relive the match of that series... (16:00 is Kelly's OT Game 3 winner)

Oh my! I have seen this whole series before, but wow :amazed:. I just went to check the goal at the

16:00 minute mark and ended up watching the next 25 minutes. I don't think the NHL has ever seen a

more 'edge of your seat' series than this one.

Butane Fan

Jan 29, 2013
Cowtown
Lets see many concerts and games
Lets see best seats ever were right up on the glass for Philly Legion of Doom damn the Oilers were small
Van Halen 1984 for the show and the whole weekend
Drinking with Guns and Roses in strip club across the street
I know people will get new memories in the new barn the Coliseum served us well

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad