Memories of the Coliseum

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Loved the Cup wins in the 80's, and the plethora of scoring by Gretzky and company. Average game always seemed to be around 7-3.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Worst memory was running into my ex-girl friend with an player who the oilers invited to camp but was in no way in hell every making the team.

and like most guys who played hockey--doing some skating around the ice in the 80's was a rush

Bobby McKeyz

No Satisfaction
Sep 23, 2011
Edmonton, AB
'97 playoffs, I was 7 years old. Oilers down 3-0 to the Stars with like 3 minutes to go, my dad was all disheartened so we decided to leave early to beat the traffic. When we get back to the vehicle, we are blocked in by a car behind us so he turns on 630 CHED to listen. At this point the Oilers have tied the game so we go running back inside to watch the OT period. Oilers win it in overtime.

Moral of the story: never leave a playoff game early

Other notable games: Gagners 8 point night, Scrivens 59 save shutty.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
'97 playoffs, I was 7 years old. Oilers down 3-0 to the Stars with like 3 minutes to go, my dad was all disheartened so we decided to leave early to beat the traffic. When we get back to the vehicle, we are blocked in by a car behind us so he turns on 630 CHED to listen. At this point the Oilers have tied the game so we go running back inside to watch the OT period. Oilers win it in overtime.

Moral of the story: never leave a playoff game early

Other notable games: Gagners 8 point night, Scrivens 59 save shutty.

Honestly, I do feel kind of sorry for you younger guys that only have memories of people like Gagner and Scrivens, and a few underdog moments of the late 90's and the lightning strike of 2006, and never got to see some incredible hockey in the 80's. Here's to hoping we all get some future incredible McDavid and co. memories of playoff and cup runs!

Bobby McKeyz

No Satisfaction
Sep 23, 2011
Edmonton, AB
Honestly, I do feel kind of sorry for you younger guys that only have memories of people like Gagner and Scrivens, and a few underdog moments of the late 90's and the lightning strike of 2006, and never got to see some incredible hockey in the 80's. Here's to hoping we all get some future incredible McDavid and co. memories of playoff and cup runs!

Absolutely. My experience as an Oilers fan has been mediocre at best haha. Hopefully the Rogers Place Era is a change of pace :yo:

K1984

Feb 7, 2008

That's me. I was lucky enough to see Gretzky play live twice for other teams when I was a kid. My Dad always casually says "ya, I saw him play probably 300 times."

Thankfully he used to tape a lot of games back in the day. I used to watch them when I was a kid so I know what was up, but I never got to enjoy it.

Up the Irons

Mar 9, 2008
Canada
First game was Oilers vrs the Soviet Red Army (featuring Tretiak and Fetisov) in 80.

my first rock concert, Judas Priest in 84.

Up the Irons

Mar 9, 2008
Canada
That's me. I was lucky enough to see Gretzky play live twice for other teams when I was a kid. My Dad always casually says "ya, I saw him play probably 300 times."

Thankfully he used to tape a lot of games back in the day. I used to watch them when I was a kid so I know what was up, but I never got to enjoy it.

ha ha. that's cool. there are alot of people around town that can drop: "i was at the game when he scored 5 to hit 50 in 39". or some other classic game.

best 99 game I ever saw was a hattie/5 pt night vrs the great Habs in 81 (they still had everyone). Gretz walked Robinson like he was a just a punkass kid.

man, i'm get misty eyed.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
ha ha. that's cool. there are alot of people around town that can drop: "i was at the game when he scored 5 to hit 50 in 39". or some other classic game.

best 99 game I ever saw was a hattie/5 pt night vrs the great Habs in 81 (they still had everyone). Gretz walked Robinson like he was a just a punkass kid.

man, i'm get misty eyed.

He's one of those guys. He sat 5 rows off the blueline that Gretz shot the 50th from. He can pick himself out in one of the pictures taken after the goal. Lucky SOB.

ZJuice

pickle juice connoisseur
May 17, 2010
Edmonton
I liked going with my dad.
He would give me two tickets and during the second intermission he'd take me up to the box seats where we would pig out on wings and pop.
I remember going to a Roadrunners game where Tootoo was on the other team, scary crowd for me.

Dorian2

Define that balance
Jul 17, 2009
Edmonton
First game was Oilers vrs the Soviet Red Army (featuring Tretiak and Fetisov) in 80.

my first rock concert, Judas Priest in 84.

Was that the one with Bon Jovi backing them up? That was a great show.

I never went to a game in the prime Oiler days unfortunately.

The 80's were hard on the folks with new houses..(my folks).

First concert was Def Leppard Pyromania...right after the Oil won the cup. Joe Elliot came out with his English colors jersey, then took it off to reveal an Oiler jersey underneath.

The crowd went ape doo doo. (why would **** get astrixed out? :shakehead )

RattsSSV

Слава Україні - F*** Putin
May 4, 2006
I remember Gretz's first game back in Edmonton. Seeing the half Oilers, half Kings Gretzky jerseys in the stands was crazy.

Was lucky enough to get tickets to his last game at Northlands. It seemed like everyone was willing Bob Essensa to let him score one last goal.

Elric

May 1, 2015
In Wheat
.Concert memories (most of my best ones are at Commonwealth or elsewhere.) That said seeing Black Sabbath MOB rules tour has to be up there. Seeing YES record 9012live over 2 nights also a top concert moment.
Saw Rush several times and the usual acts. Seeing Iggy Pop backing the Pretenders also up there. Fleetwood Mac, Neil Young other memories. One hilite for me was seeing Golden Earring, a legendary Dutch band that I loved for years. Was just amazed to ever get a chance to see them on this continent. They were awesome live.
Seeing Ozzy with Mike Bordin, my favorite drummer (Faith No More) was also interesting.
So many other memories.

The Rock Circus concerts at Commonwealth were unmatched at least in Edmonton for me. In the Coliseum Yes was a dream come true (one night semi-together to see the incredible musicianship and one night definitely not, a rare opportunity) as likely my favorite band at the time. First concert there Frank Marino was the backup band doing Tales of the Unexpected (for Nazareth). Favorite moment was the Police concert. Lined up overnight to get the best tickets and then got to see an incredible concert with my buds and an awesome bunch of new friends met in the ticket lineup. Its a crime you can't get prime seats now if you're willing to line up for a day to get them.

Last edited:

abootzky

Jun 15, 2007
'Childhood' memories:
-Opening night November 10, 1974 WHA Oilers vs. Cleveland. My dad's seat was one of several that required last-second armrest attachment.
-My first rock concert in 1976 featuring headliners Bachman-Turner Overdrive who were my favorite band when I was in jr. high.
-Little known (at the time) opening act Cheap Trick stealing the show from KISS 2 nights in a row in 1977.

My memories as a St. John Ambulance first aider (1977-80):
-Funk band Ohio Players appearing before maybe a thousand people during K-Days' old 'Coliseum of Stars' series. They called everybody who was there to come down by the stage and then blew the roof off the place with a fantastic set.
-Being accosted by a member of Triumph's road crew, taken to their dressing room and asked to treat a nasty open callous on the finger of guitarist Rik Emmett. Luckily someone found an actual doctor before I could practice my dubious medical skills on the guy.
-The time that we had to treat a woman who had been burned by some hot coffee that had mysteriously fallen on her from above. We found out later that the coffee had been spilled by Oilers play-by-play man Rod Phillips.
-My favorite in-person Oilers moment when 7th defenceman Ab DeMarco got in the line-up vs the New England Whalers and scored 3 third period goals on booming slapshots from the point (plus a near-miss in OT) to help the Oil secure a tie and a playoff spot in 1978. The Coliseum was far from full but in a full-blown frenzy nonetheless.
-Gretzky's first game as an Oiler in Edmonton vs the Winnipeg Jets when he was listed as #20 in the program (which I still have). He wore #99 btw.

Memories from my adult years:
-Bruce Springsteen (sans E-Street Band) playing here for the first time in October of 1992. After a short intermission halfway through the show he came out and announced the score of the Blue Jays/Braves World Series game.
-The second date I had with my now-wife in 1999 when Gretzky played his final NHL game in Edmonton.
-The night in November 2003 during the 1st intermission of an Oilers/Blackhawks game when the Eskimos brought the Grey Cup (which they had won a couple of days earlier) onto the ice to a huge/spontaneous ovation.

OilTastic

Embrace The Hate
Oct 5, 2009
St. Albert, Alberta.
best memories are going with my late father to several games

i have been around long enough to remember seeing Rexall replace the Edmonton Gardens, and now Rogers Place replace Rexall. can't say i'm going to miss Rexall because it's just too small with all the boxes and suites roughed in. bring on Rogers!

and as far as memories go....i'll never forget the first time i walked into the then Northlands Coliseum and was blown away by the size of the place! i have a feeling it's going to be exactly the same when i walk into Rogers for the first time too.

Last edited:

Sniper99

Jan 12, 2011
Edmonton
I went to several Oiler games with my dad as a kid, most of them I was too young to really remember Gretzky with the Oilers. Only really remember more a year or two after when he left. Most nights my Dad had to leave games during the 2nd intermission with me cause I fell asleep in my chair. I was at Gretzky's first game as a King.

I got to sit in the Barry T's skybox with my Dad as he did a lot of business with the owner of Barry T's.
The '97 Game 3 Dallas/Edmonton game and comeback was unreal, didn't go to it. But when I heard that the Oilers had tied it up I turned my tv on just in time to watch bucky score in O.T.
I was at Game 6 of the '98 series with Colorado and watching Cujo shutout the Avs.

Concert memories.
First concert was Bon Jovi in '95 These Days Tour. Was first time I smelled marijuana. LOL
Saw the Tragically Hip about 5 times at Rexall. Saw RHCP, Foo Fighters 4-5 times(including the recent show couple days ago) Nickelback w/Jerry Cantrell and many other bands there.
Went to Edmonton Driller games (which I thought were boring as hell) Roadrunners games during the lockout 10-11 years ago. Rush and Oil King games.

boatsNhossa

Jun 24, 2015
1st game again the sharks in 92, got to see Arthurs Irbe, oilers won

Jere lehtinen was an oiler killer

Goalie fight with conklin and nurminen and bishai in the thrashers bench

Smyths fastest hat trick

Patrik Stefan missing the empty net
Game 6 (wings, sol loud)/sharks and game 6 of the 06 final we want the cup

Concert - George Strait last concert here row1

Overall I will miss how loud it was for playoffs, the passion from the fans from those years and most importantly the old fermented beers line for that sweet rexall cocaine beers... you only need 2 or 3 to get the night going in the right direction.

lakai17

Aug 10, 2006
-Being a kid getting to watch the Avalanche at Rexall a numerous of times. Watching Forsberg and Sakic in their prime was some of the best hockey I will ever witness.

-I was also was able to go to a few Dallas vs Edmonton playoff games where obviously you never forget those moments due to the atmosphere.

-Laraque got a hat-trick in that building as well.

Up the Irons

Mar 9, 2008
Canada
Was that the one with Bon Jovi backing them up? That was a great show.

I never went to a game in the prime Oiler days unfortunately.

The 80's were hard on the folks with new houses..(my folks).

First concert was Def Leppard Pyromania...right after the Oil won the cup. Joe Elliot came out with his English colors jersey, then took it off to reveal an Oiler jersey underneath.

The crowd went ape doo doo. (why would **** get astrixed out? :shakehead )

you know I can't remember the opening act, but Tesla seems to be ringing a bell. It was the Defenders of the Faith tour.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad