Confirmed with Link: #MelnykOut Campaign - successfully raised 8K over this past weekend.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TaroTsujimoto

Apr 20, 2014
Cherry is right. Let's stop being ungrateful children, this franchise would no longer exist if not for Melnyk.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Cherry is right. Let's stop being ungrateful children, this franchise would no longer exist if not for Melnyk.
Aside from the fact there were multiple other parties ready to buy the Sens.

If Melnyk never bought the Sens, someone else would have.

I'm indifferent with the billboards, don't really side with one or the other, but let's not pretend that the Sens would be elsewhere had Melnyk not been the first to jump on the opportunity.

TaroTsujimoto

Apr 20, 2014
OK maybe, but Melnyk is the Godfather and I will always love him for all that he has done for the franchise.

YouGotAStuGoing

Mar 26, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario
OK maybe, but Melnyk is the Godfather and I will always love him for all that he has done for the franchise.
What has he done, exactly? He made a business investment which has nicely raised in value while sinking further into debt and taking the team down with him, kicking and screaming.

EDIT: Before anyone hops on this and endlessly quotes it as a 'gotcha', yes, this is hyperbolic. Eugene's done some good for this franchise. It's just that he's burned through so much of that goodwill recently. I'll never understand the concept of Huge Euge as some kind of angelic saviour who can do no wrong, because he's the furthest thing from that.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Well we can't say that the #MelnykOut thing , didn't draw attention and create a stir. Supporters of the billboard campaign have their understanding and outsiders looking at it with little information will have theirs .. Those two views should not be expected to coincide. Unfortunately there are many more of the latter and one hash tag billboard on top of tarped seats and unsold playoff games can paint a picture that looks like many fans have abandoned the team and the owner has to make financial decisions that other fans disagree with.

Don't get me wrong .. I do not support Melnyk. In fact currently I dislike Melnyk, Dorion, and Boucher :laugh:.. I was thinking of a #MelnykDorionBoucherOut campaign but that probably wouldn't actually work.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
I agree with your point. I disagree with you analogy.

They must keep business development alive on a constant level at all times. Basic business plan. I was a full season ticket holder for 6 years. I can no longer afford it. This team is engraved in my heart and if something drastic happened, like the team moving from Ottawa, a piece of me would dye inside.

It’s important to remember the hard core fans, mainly if they were STH before. I’m hoping to eventually be able to return. And if I was left out completely as a fan, because I can’t afford to shed money that way at the moment, I would find it questionable.

It is a considerable financial investment, no question. I can appreciate your predicament.

Reactions: Ray Kinsella

Senscore

Let's keep it cold
Nov 19, 2012
Or punching a horse

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
Are you here on behalf of the CBC?

Its kinda cute how you compared this org to a mercedes... maybe ten years ago

But seriously, the issue is the team needs more people to commit to buying tickets. Presumably you do that by engaging the fans that are on the fence not the ones who already loyal customers. If this town hall is just another perk for the STH its a pretty lousy one and probably won't yeild much of anything positive.

Could be any car...You have to take care of your house first because STHs are not renewing and there is a sense, rightfully, that their voices are more important than those who are not supporting the team. I think this is a good first step.

I don't see the point of having fans there who won't buy tickets. This business requires a financial commitment. A significant one. It would be nice if everything were free but it isn't.

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017
Could be any car...You have to take care of your house first because STHs are not renewing and there is a sense, rightfully, that their voices are more important than those who are not supporting the team. I think this is a good first step.

I don't see the point of having fans there who won't buy tickets. This business requires a financial commitment. A significant one. It would be nice if everything were free but it isn't.
But our current season ticket base is too small.

Why not try and win new fans by presenting your product in a positive light, even when facing tough questions?

Last edited:

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
I'm not sure how often you lurk around HF but if you take a look out side of the Sens board there's actually been more of a sympathetic response than anything else. This isnt the first time Don has suggested relocating the franchise in the past year, we will survive. It's 2018, nobody takes Don Cherry seriously.

Wasn't Don Cherry in some way connected to the failed Hamilton / Tim Hortons NHL bid, when Ottawa and Tampa were awarded expansion franchises?

I seem to think he was, if not officially, but vocally supporting that bid, and perhaps is still pissed that Hamilton lost out to Ottawa.

mysens

Apr 9, 2013

Why not try and win new fans with by presenting your product in a positive light, even when facing tough questions?

Lets face it, no matter what EM says to the non STH, will never repair any damage he has caused. He has been black listed in most of the billboard campaigners eyes. He would simply be wasting his time.

Ray Kinsella

Feb 13, 2018
Wasn't Don Cherry in some way connected to the failed Hamilton / Tim Hortons NHL bid, when Ottawa and Tampa were awarded expansion franchises?

I seem to think he was, if not officially, but vocally supporting that bid, and perhaps is still pissed that Hamilton lost out to Ottawa.
I wouldn’t be surprised if he was sour. Hamilton is much closer to Toronto...

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017
Lets face it, no matter what EM says to the non STH, will never repair any damage he has caused. He has been black listed in most of the billboard campaigners eyes. He would simply be wasting his time.
Then he should 100% sell the franchise immediately.

If EM and the management group have no ability to expand our STH base then they need to go.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009

Why not try and win new fans with by presenting your product in a positive light, even when facing tough questions?

I honestly don't think it is the right forum to do so. We are talking the owner here, not a ticket rep and he is concerned more about keeping his paying customers rather than those who are not financially committed to his team.

Wouldn't be a bad idea to have some other avenue for prospective customers, perhaps have players go and meet former ticket holders along with the new president/CEO. Not quite "Save the Senators" stuff but close.

I don't personally trust the MelnykOut gang much as I find that their demands are unreasonable anyways, and not worth discussing. You have these militants at a Town Hall and it would be a gong show.

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
I hope Melnyk notifies the NHL that he plans to move the Senators. As we've seen in Phoenix, Carolina, Atlanta, the first thing the NHL will do is try to find new ownership that would keep the team in Ottawa, if the Cirque / Desmarais group steps up (probable based on their previous interest), the NHL will force Melnyk to sell the team. It happened in Phoenix already, despite a far worse outlook than in Ottawa. The only reason Atlanta moved to Winnipeg as there was not even 1 potential owner that wanted to keep the team in Atlanta.

The DCDLS group were only going to offer to buy the Senators, IF they won the rights to redevelop Lebreton Flats ............. and IF Melnyk Refused to take their offer of free land to build, own and operate an Arena for the Senators to play in ............. and IF he didn't want to do that, they would have offered him to have the Senators play in their (built and operated) Arena, as tenants ............... and IF he did not want either of those options, then, and only then would they offer to buy the Senators ........... from an Owner that has no intentions of selling the Senators.

They did not win the rights to redevelop Lebreton Flats, so their suggestions as to how they would get the Senators to move to Lebreton Flats remain just that, suggestions.

There is zero indication that DCDLS is even remotely interested in getting involved with the NHL, as they were primarily a construction consortium.

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017
I honestly don't think it is the right forum to do so. We are talking the owner here, not a ticket rep and he is concerned more about keeping his paying customers rather than those who are not financially committed to his team.

Wouldn't be a bad idea to have some other avenue for prospective customers, perhaps have players go and meet former ticket holders along with the new president/CEO. Not quite "Save the Senators" stuff but close.

I don't personally trust the MelnykOut gang much as I find that their demands are unreasonable anyways, and not worth discussing. You have these militants at a Town Hall and it would be a gong show.
Heaven forbid our owner should have to answer tough questions about the direction and future of his business.

It's clearly not his job to win over fans and re-build the trust he has lost...

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
No matter what Cherry says, this city and fans will never live down the attendance in last year's playoffs. I was there every game . There were empty seats at every game. We had 20,500 for Alfie retirement night. Had nothing, nothing close to that in the playoffs. Games that mattered.

That is all people will see. Ottawans can bitch and moan about "You don' t know how bad we have it" sob story with all of the reasons behind it. Whether valid or not, the optics shall forever be embarrassing.

All the Twitter backlash of people upset about Cherry are embarrassed. We are proud of our team and city. I get it. No one cares about the reasons, nationally. They just see lousy fans which is unfair to those who showed up to those playoff games. Games that my ears rang for hours, something that I didn't even experience in the Cup run.

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
The assumption is the new owner would be buying the Sens operation, not just the team. I guess they could play out of Lansdowne until Lebreton is built if they don't get the CTC.

The DCDLS group was only interested in buying the Senators......only IF they on the rights to redevelop Lebreton Flats.............. and IF Melnyk Refused to take their offer of free land to build, own and operate an Arena for the Senators to play in ............. and IF he didn't want to do that, they would have offered him to have the Senators play in their (built and operated) Arena, as tenants ............... and IF he did not want either of those options, then, and only then would they offer to buy the Senators ........... from an Owner that has no intentions of selling the Senators.

They did not win the rights to redevelop Lebreton Flats, so their suggestions as to how they would get the Senators to move to Lebreton Flats remain just that, suggestions.

There is zero indication that DCDLS is even remotely interested in getting involved with the NHL, as they were primarily a construction consortium.

It's like you saying you'd buy a Lamborghini, but only after you won the Lotto Max.

Last edited:

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
Heaven forbid our owner should have to answer tough questions about the direction and future of his business.

It's clearly not his job to win over fans and re-build the trust he has lost...

Honestly , why would he listen to you over me?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad