Confirmed with Link: #MelnykOut Campaign - successfully raised 8K over this past weekend.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ray Kinsella

Feb 13, 2018
I'm referencing the fact that the original gofundme campaign was promising a billboard "across from the arena".
Oh... well, it was the goal. But other promoters had their timeline and I get that. To get it there before mid April wasn’t available.

Ray Kinsella

Feb 13, 2018
I do, but they've since edited the gofundme page, and it's not like I took a screen-capture or anything, so it's basically just my word vs others at this point, which isn't really a debate worth having.
Too tired for a debate, and certainly one of this low caliber. All in all, I appreciate people who take action and seldom try to find negativity out of it.

DrunkUncleDenis

Condra Fan
Mar 27, 2012
I do, but they've since edited the gofundme page, and it's not like I took a screen-capture or anything, so it's basically just my word vs others at this point, which isn't really a debate worth having.
Well, there's this..

#MelnykOut: Sens fan's plan for anti-owner billboard lands more than $8,500 over the weekend

The cost of the billboard is an estimated $5,000, said Callaghan, who works in communications and social media. His campaign, which started Friday, raised more than $8,500 by Sunday afternoon, mostly in increments of $10 to $20. One fan responded that he wasn’t going to Saturday’s game, but would kick in the price of two large draft beers.

Callaghan is aiming for a spot near the Canadian Tire Centre, and says he plans to start making calls on Monday.

So basically, the guy jumped in with two feet, without doing the necessary research before starting this thing.

DrunkUncleDenis

Condra Fan
Mar 27, 2012
Too tired for a debate, and certainly one of this low caliber. All in all, I appreciate people who take action and seldom try to find negativity out of it.
I'll jump in and say that I appreciate high aspirations for attainable goals, but I can't stand lack of forethought and poor planning by organizers of any kind.

It's kind of asinine to start a gofundme and raise thousands of dollars, then not come through on what you said you'd do when the money is raised in a few days time.

Edit: to clarify, I like where his heart is. It's just that maybe he should have made a phone call or two before actually starting the fundraiser. That's all it would have taken to see what was possible and what wasn't. It's simple research that would have taken 10 minutes.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ray Kinsella

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown

Oh, don't get my motives wrong here - I'm fully on board with wanting Melnyk out, but I also hate poorly planned things. I've been pointing this out since like 20 minutes after the gofundme was posted - the fact that there isn't a billboard within kilometers of the arena, despite the "deliverable product" of the original goal being a billboard across the arena.

I am both a supporter of the spirit of MelnykOut, as well as a critic of clearly impossible goals set in a fundraiser. They are not mutually exclusive things. All I ask is that if you are asking for funding for a thing, that you really figure out what that thing should be before asking for money to do it.

Reactions: DrunkUncleDenis

Ray Kinsella

Feb 13, 2018
I'll jump in and say that I appreciate high aspirations for attainable goals, but I can't stand lack of forethought and poor planning by organizers of any kind.

It's kind of asinine to start a gofundme and raise thousands of dollars, then not come through on what you said you'd do when the money is raised in a few days time.
Fair enough. I still feel he’s done more than most complaining about Mylnek, who, for the most part, are criticizing this guy for not doing something properly that we are not actually doing ourselves.

Last edited:

Emerica

May 29, 2010
I don't get what the big fuss is about. I seriously doubt people donated to have a billboard SPECIFICALLY across the CTC. It's going to get the intended message across whether it's at the CTC or not. Like Ray Kinsella said, he's done a fine job setting all this up on his own personal time.

Ray Kinsella

Feb 13, 2018

Edit: to clarify, I like where his heart is. It's just that maybe he should have made a phone call or two before actually starting the fundraiser. That's all it would have taken to see what was possible and what wasn't. It's simple research that would have taken 10 minutes. It's just disappointing.

From his interview, I feel he was instantly motivated to take action after the infamous TDD concerning EK. I just can’t criticize the guy.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Not sure if he ever promised a billboard next to the arena, but apparently that's what he was aiming for based on this article the day after the campaign launched: #MelnykOut: Sens fan's plan for anti-owner billboard lands more than $8,500 over the weekend

For what it's worth, the earliest archive of the page I found (thanks wayback machine) had no mention of specific locations of a billboard, but it was archived a couple days after the launch, and had already been updated at least once.

Reactions: Ray Kinsella

Ray Kinsella

Feb 13, 2018
I don't get what the big fuss is about. I seriously doubt people donated to have a billboard SPECIFICALLY across the CTC. It's going to get the intended message across whether it's at the CTC or not. Like Ray Kinsella said, he's done a fine job setting all this up on his own personal time.

Finally.... aren’t fans all over Ottawa?
Thank you for getting it.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Oh, don't get my motives wrong here - I'm fully on board with wanting Melnyk out, but I also hate poorly planned things. I've been pointing this out since like 20 minutes after the gofundme was posted - the fact that there isn't a billboard within kilometers of the arena, despite the "deliverable product" of the original goal being a billboard across the arena.

I am both a supporter of the spirit of MelnykOut, as well as a critic of clearly impossible goals set in a fundraiser. They are not mutually exclusive things. All I ask is that if you are asking for funding for a thing, that you really figure out what that thing should be before asking for money to do it.

What, you've never gotten black-out drunk only to realize you started a poorly planed go fund me page that had already reached it's target by the time you reached for advil and an orange juice, and realized that it's too late to turn back now? really, just me eh? huh... I might have to rethink how I go about things....

DrunkUncleDenis

Condra Fan
Mar 27, 2012
Finally.... aren’t fans all over Ottawa?
Thank you for getting it.

So I like that there are multiple boards going up. That's cool, and it really is the next best thing when it was determined that there were none available (or exist?) at the CTC. But if we're being honest, in terms of exposure, the locations aren't great. One is on the edge of town by the airport, a few are around South Keys... I think the "across from the CTC" location had a big impact because of the notion of the board being erected "in Melnyk's backyard". A middle finger to Eugene, if you will.

Reactions: BonkTastic

slamigo

Skate or Die!
Dec 25, 2007
Ottawa
I like how people are equating the six minutes the guy spent spent hastily starting up a gofundme page as “doing something about it”. Lol
He didn’t DO anything. A few mouse clicks. It’s not like he’s on a hunger strike or something. He isn’t out there in the cold, building the billboard.

Kudos for the media attention and hopefully it sent a shot across the bow to Melnyk that the fan base cannot be taken for granted. But please, I probably spent more time writing this post than he did starting that gofundme page.

Ray Kinsella

Feb 13, 2018
What, you've never gotten black-out drunk only to realize you started a poorly planed go fund me page that had already reached it's target by the time you reached for advil and an orange juice, and realized that it's too late to turn back now? really, just me eh? huh... I might have to rethink how I go about things....
Lol

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
So I like that there are multiple boards going up. That's cool, and it really is the next best thing when it was determined that there were none available (or exist?) at the CTC. But if we're being honest, in terms of exposure, the locations aren't great. One is on the edge of town by the airport, a few are around South Keys... I think the "across from the CTC" location had a big impact because of the notion of the board being erected "in Melnyk's backyard". A middle finger to Eugene, if you will.
Should just look for some in Barbados.

Ray Kinsella

Feb 13, 2018
I like how people are equating the six minutes the guy spent spent hastily starting up a gofundme page as “doing something about it”. Lol
He didn’t DO anything. A few mouse clicks. It’s not like he’s on a hunger strike or something. He isn’t out there in the cold, building the billboard.

Kudos for the media attention and hopefully it sent a shot across the bow to Melnyk that the fan base cannot be taken for granted. But please, I probably spent more time writing this post than he did starting that gofundme page.
Wow....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad