Confirmed with Link: #MelnykOut Campaign - successfully raised 8K over this past weekend.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 19, 2006
Calgary
And this warrants repeating because it didn't come from me, but I have been saying it all along. Operating income doesn't mean profit. To have operating income, shouldn't be too hard, but profit , we don't know how leveraged the team is.

It's not Sens fans fault that Melnyk decided to leverage the team to prop up his other failing businesses. It is not Sens fans responsibility to pay for Melnyk's other businesses.

Jeeze, this is the exact reason why Manchester United fans hate Malcolm Glazer.

Reactions: bert

Wondercarrot

By The Power of Canadian Tire Centre
Jul 2, 2002
And your point is? Melnyk is not firing himself. Yeah, not a great owner, we all agree. But he ain't selling.

You and I don't know his financials. But I will tell you this, I would have heck of a better idea than many here if he hasn't managed it well. To my point, debt structure correctly is desirable, and refinancing is a must over the last 10 years. He has done it many times. I have done it many times. If you don't , you are going to lose a ton.

Debt leverage is inconsequential without knowing what it costs him. You know nothing Jon Snow. :sarcasm:

Are you talking to someone else? Or did you just want to explain your accounting background and offer free basic accounting advice to everyone?

However if the intent was beating the hell out of a strawman you've done a heck of a job

Wondercarrot

By The Power of Canadian Tire Centre
Jul 2, 2002
Hey , whatever floats your boat. Your money, your business. But you were not who Melnyk alluded to in his comments. But go ahead an lop yourself in with those who do not support the team. I guess you are easily offended. And by the way, what a miserable 25years you have had, eh? Cry me a river...

lol
Are you sure you're an accountant? Your greatest talent appears to be converting your idiotic misperceptions into language you then pass of as someone else's argument and thoughts.

Reactions: Bileur and coladin

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
Funny how this Carolina ownership situation has garnered more coverage from the National media than this Eugene Melnyk fiasco in just one day.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
It's not Sens fans fault that Melnyk decided to leverage the team to prop up his other failing businesses. It is not Sens fans responsibility to pay for Melnyk's other businesses.

Jeeze, this is the exact reason why Manchester United fans hate Malcolm Glazer.

Correct, it indirectly isn't the Sens fans fault as we do not know the scope of his wealth, the liquidity of it or the profitability . We can all take educated guesses, some better than others (not directed to you lol...others) . Ultimately, empty seats or attendance that would be comparable to other Canadian markets is shaving $10M off revenues. For a variety of reasons, and I don't want to get into that, just stating what those seats add up to.

If the Sens were at the cap floor, I would give more weight to the notion that he is funding his other ventures on the backs of the fans. But I do not see that.

I think Dorion miscalculated in the off season, thinking that Claesson and Harpur would continue their tremendous playoff play. they didn't pan out. I think Oduya was never supposed to play the minutes he got due to the fact that , coupled with Wideman and Boro being hurt, these players underperformed.

Melnyk gave Dorion the ok to get Duchene, who will be a much more expensive player moving forward. And around that time our goalies decided to stop making saves. Catastrophe.

On top of the fact that Karlsson's recovery took much longer than anticipated. It is just a terrible season that went off the rails.

We will see next year if the team is at the floor, or it will be mid pack like this year. If we are at the floor, then we will know that this team is going to be gutted. But I don't think it will be.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
Are you talking to someone else? Or did you just want to explain your accounting background and offer free basic accounting advice to everyone?

However if the intent was beating the hell out of a strawman you've done a heck of a job

Nope. Real world experience in similar style business.

Canadian Time

Mar 2, 2002
Visit site
So where is this big billboard, what's going on? Lol, this generation is a failure in every regard, all the momentum is gone, a billboard now will just look stupid. You can't just stamp your feet on the internet, maybe donate $20 from your comfy couch and expect to effect change. Unbelievably dim lot. Maybe some lawyers said hey, if you put that up it will be considered libel and this group didn't have a back-up plan. Putting up a board now will get a picture in the paper and it will forgotten exactly one day later, everyone just says yawn.

Use your brains if you want to do something that might make a difference, this is bush league.

Reactions: DrunkUncleDenis

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
So where is this big billboard, what's going on? Lol, this generation is a failure in every regard, all the momentum is gone, a billboard now will just look stupid. You can't just stamp your feet on the internet, maybe donate $20 from your comfy couch and expect to effect change. Unbelievably dim lot. Maybe some lawyers said hey, if you put that up it will be considered libel and this group didn't have a back-up plan. Putting up a board now will get a picture in the paper and it will forgotten exactly one day later, everyone just says yawn.

Use your brains if you want to do something that might make a difference, this is bush league.

I agree it's taking way to long, it got national media attention and has put anhug among of pressure on ownership, so it was and could be a success. Still have EK, Stone, Ceci and Duchesne to deal with so lots of bombs down the road.

Last edited by a moderator:

Canadian Time

Mar 2, 2002
Visit site
In a nutshell, if you really want to change things, you've got to convince Bettman and the league that Melnyk is costing them money, that's the only thing that matters. That means meeting them with lawyers or lobby groups in New York with a coherent argument and presentation, not internet outrage. You raised some money, use it wisely, billboards are beyond stupid.

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
In a nutshell, if you really want to change things, you've got to convince Bettman and the league that Melnyk is costing them money, that's the only thing that matters. That means meeting them with lawyers or lobby groups in New York with a coherent argument and presentation, not internet outrage. You raised some money, use it wisely, billboards are beyond stupid.
Wow. Dumbest thing i've read in a while.

Mr bettman, there are some shitty ottawa fans with lawyers here to explain the finances of your own league to you....they brought a powerpoint...shall i let them in?

Canadian Time

Mar 2, 2002
Visit site
Wow. Dumbest thing i've read in a while.

Mr bettman, there are some ****ty ottawa fans with lawyers here to explain the finances of your own league to you....they brought a powerpoint...shall i let them in?

I get that maybe you've never actually been involved in any business meetings outside of maybe union elections but this is how you make changes, you meet with decision makers. It will cost some cash but open up your brain, twitter is not a change maker. Otherwise, retreat to your keyboard and tell everyone how unfair the world is and get really angry with a billboard, that will change the world.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
I get that maybe you've never actually been involved in any business meetings outside of maybe union elections but this is how you make changes, you meet with decision makers. It will cost some cash but open up your brain, twitter is not a change maker. Otherwise, retreat to your keyboard and tell everyone how unfair the world is and get really angry with a billboard, that will change the world.

Social media is definitely becoming a big player in the world over the last few years. I wouldn't underestimate the power of a good viral campaign these days.

That said, social media alone won't be the answer. I think pretty much the only things ultimately that will make Eugene sell, is the NHL itself, and the players (ie, players and agents outright refusing to play for a particular owner/franchise).

Reactions: Ray Kinsella

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008

Haha. Love that you're doubling down on that post. Keep 'em coming. Maybe you should get the ball rolling and call up some law firms for a quote or two.

Mingus Dew

Microphone Assassin
Oct 7, 2013

Some cash? We’re talking tens of thousands of dollars lol.

Canadian Time

Mar 2, 2002
Visit site
Social media is definitely becoming a big player in the world over the last few years. I wouldn't underestimate the power of a good viral campaign these days.

That said, social media alone won't be the answer. I think pretty much the only things ultimately that will make Eugene sell, is the NHL itself, and the players (ie, players and agents outright refusing to play for a particular owner/franchise).

I agree to an extent. Social media can be useful in activating people to a cause, but there has to be real action, not just ranting. Youth today seem to think just putting their opinions out there is enough, it's not. Just because mom told you you're special and your opinion counts, it doesn't. I also agree that the only thing to force Melnyk to sell is the NHL (well that and big profit). So what is the business case? That's what I'm suggesting pointing out. Ottawa is a fantastic hockey market imo, it could be generating far more revenue than it is with better ownership. That's the case that has to be made, not a billboatd.

Canadian Time

Mar 2, 2002
Visit site
Haha. Love that you're doubling down on that post. Keep 'em coming. Maybe you should get the ball rolling and call up some law firms for a quote or two.

Look, I was harsh but I was trying to point out the idiocy of the billboard idea. That kind of stuff won't do a damn thing, some on this board post some wild things thinking it will effect change, it won't. I come from a business background that regularly met with both government and business leaders. It's the only way, I don't want to scrap, I'm just suggesting some higher goals.

Mingus Dew

Microphone Assassin
Oct 7, 2013
Look, I was harsh but I was trying to point out the idiocy of the billboard idea. That kind of stuff won't do a damn thing, some on this board post some wild things thinking it will effect change, it won't. I come from a business background that regularly met with both government and business leaders. It's the only way, I don't want to scrap, I'm just suggesting some higher goals.

The billboard is a way to vent frustration and maybe get a bit of publicity. It’s not going to force Melnyk to sell the team but I doubt that’s really the goal anyways.

Mobilizing a lobbying campaign is a different story. That would probably require a benefactor to bankroll the whole thing.

Just let people spit in the face of the enemy a little man.

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017
Keep all the arrows in the quiver until Melnyk tanks the team this summer by trading Karlsson...he is the match that will ignite the fuse.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad