Speculation: Melnyk and Murray spotted at NHL head office.

take a peek

Mar 4, 2007
There was an hour long show on here in Sweden with a guy hanging out with Karlsson and talking hockey life in Canada etc...

I do not speak much Swedish, but rough translation from the girlfriend......

Karlsson did not want to get into it the Cooke thing too much but he said

....He has no doubt it was on purpose.
....He has moved past it, does not dwell on the incident or Cooke, it is on Cookes conscience, not his.
...He is still not feeling 100%, it still affects his skating and confidence in skating, but he still is positive that as it is getting better over time that it will not affect him in the long run at all, thru both healing and adapting.

....he also expects to see Russia in the Olympic final and demonstrated how he will score the golden goal by stripping Ovechkin, give and go around Datsyuk, stick handle around Kovalchuk and put it top shelf....it was a joke btw.

I wish I understood it all

p.s. he also really likes Ottawa team, management, and community.

Whippet

Feb 6, 2013
There was an hour long show on here in Sweden with a guy hanging out with Karlsson and talking hockey life in Canada etc...

I do not speak much Swedish, but rough translation from the girlfriend......

Karlsson did not want to get into it the Cooke thing too much but he said

....He has no doubt it was on purpose.
....He has moved past it, does not dwell on the incident or Cooke, it is on Cookes conscience, not his.
...He is still not feeling 100%, it still affects his skating and confidence in skating, but he still is positive that as it is getting better over time that it will not affect him in the long run at all, thru both healing and adapting.

....he also expects to see Russia in the Olympic final and demonstrated how he will score the golden goal by stripping Ovechkin, give and go around Datsyuk, stick handle around Kovalchuk and put it top shelf....it was a joke btw.

I wish I understood it all

p.s. he also really likes Ottawa team, management, and community.

I watched it, he said he didn't think that Cooke intended to slice his achilles but he was convinced that was Cooke's intention was to injure him somehow.

And yeah. He said he never returned Cooke's text or has his number anymore. I think it was all recorded in the beginning of the season since there are some scenes from being in Gothenburg and some scenes where he is practising with the team so hopefully he feels better about his skating now.

Wondercarrot

By The Power of Canadian Tire Centre
Jul 2, 2002
While I normally find you an objective poster. I'm really shocked you feel this way. Why do you feel the league owed us anything? What makes you think they would bend over and save us 10 years ago? We were riddled with debt, we take in Canadian dollars and pay out in American when the dollar was at $0.70. We had to get the league to front us cash to pay salaries and ask Alfie to pay for a deadline rental. The league moved both Québec and Winnipeg to the states. And you call me naïve. Go dust off the "save our sens" sign you got hiding in your garage, Gary Bettman wouldn't have given a chit.

Only one crazy guy would have invested in this team and not move it.

A few comments:

1) the debt on the team and building was miniscule in the context of an NHL team coming out of bankruptcy - it was the deal of a lifetime for a rich person. $120 million in debt. Most buyers need to pay for the team and then build a building etc. ill bet $250 to $400 million is pretty standard debt load when purchasing a franchise.
The day he bought it he made a small fortune.

2) When he bought the team the dollar was at about 70 - 73 cents, 2 yeas after he bought the team it had moved up to 90 cents and then to par.
that is a MASSIVE revenue windfall.

3) with respect to the naive comment. I was more referring to the "he's lost $93 million in 10 years" portion of the post. i believe that number is complete BS.
Does it included CT revenue, doubt it includes any number of deductions etc he would be entitled to etcetcetcetc.
Ill bet that number includes every possible raw expense before any reductions and includes ZERO revenue outside of tickets and TV money.
Parking deal (either direct or the deal made with aramark to handle it), concessions revenue (either direct or the deal made with aramark to handle it), CTC events etc

3) Im grateful Melnyk came in a saved the team, unfortunately that Melnyk disappeared with his billion.
You know the saying "good game good guy, bad game bad guy" - this applies to Melnyk.
He now treats everyone as if they are fools, constantly contradicting himself depending on his audience.

4) If i do something really nice for you, how long does my free pass last for? 5 years? 10 years? forever? Especially when i did you a favour that will also pocket me $100 million plus.

If he was honest with me, id have a much easier time going along with us being a low to mid cap budget team.
Instead im forking over 10 to 15k a year on tickets and then being fed all sorts of BS like im some rube who just fell off the turnip truck.
i dont care for that.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
A few comments:

1) the debt on the team and building was miniscule in the context of an NHL team coming out of bankruptcy - it was the deal of a lifetime for a rich person. $120 million in debt. Most buyers need to pay for the team and then build a building etc. ill bet $250 to $400 million is pretty standard debt load when purchasing a franchise.

2) When he bought the team the dollar was at about 70 - 73 cents, 2 yeas after he bought the team it had moved up to 90 cents and then to par.

3) with respect to the naive comment. I was more referring to the "he's lost $93 million in 10 years" portion of the post. i believe that number is complete BS.
Does it included CT revenue, doubt it includes any number of deductions etc he would be entitled to etcetcetcetc.
Ill bet that number includes every possible raw expense before any reductions and includes ZERO revenue outside of tickets and TV money.
Parking deal (either direct or the deal made with aramark to handle it), concessions revenue (either direct or the deal made with aramark to handle it), CTC events etc

3) Im grateful Melnyk came in a saved the team, unfortunately that Melnyk disappeared with his billion.
You know the saying "good game good guy, bad game bad guy" - this applies to Melnyk.
He now treats everyone as if they are fools, constantly contradicting himself depending on his audience.

4) If i do something really nice for you, how long does my free pass last for? 5 years? 10 years? forever? Especially when i did you a favour that will also pocket me $100 million plus.

If he was honest with me, id have a much easier time going along with us being a low to mid cap budget team.
Instead im forking over 10 to 15k a year on tickets and then being fed all sorts of BS like im some rube who just fell off the turnip truck.
i dont care for that.

I would think that when talks about the team, he is talking strictly hockey revenue, or hockey generated revenue.

There would be a separate stats line for the CTC itself, as I'm sure part of his "losses" would be the Senators paying rent to the CTC, other creative ways to generate a loss

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
WTF did I just read, and why would you post it as though there's anything insightful?

Boo-boo wrote a story based on BMac's tweets. That's what I got out of it.

Isn't that how most journalism is happening these days?

Everyone is in such a rush to get any story out they just go with any little tidbit they see/hear without verification. I doubt any reporter alive today knows what the investigative part in investigative journalism means.

Big Papi

Who's Mel Bridgeman?
Jul 10, 2009
Quebec
www.instagram.com
Isn't that how most journalism is happening these days?

Everyone is in such a rush to get any story out they just go with any little tidbit they see/hear without verification. I doubt any reporter alive today knows what the investigative part in investigative journalism means.

if you click on th elink, does that count towards investigating?

Qward

Because! That's why!
Jul 23, 2010
Behind you, look out
A few comments:

i dont care for that.

This is an excellent post and I agree with all of it.

WTF did I just read, and why would you post it as though there's anything insightful?

Boo-boo wrote a story based on BMac's tweets. That's what I got out of it.

There was some debate on the previous page as to the reason why BM and Melnyk were there. I posted that the Sun was confirming the reason they were there. You didn't have to click the link.

SenzZen

RIP, GOAT
Jan 31, 2011
Ottawa
There was some debate on the previous page as to the reason why BM and Melnyk were there. I posted that the Sun was confirming the reason they were there. You didn't have to click the link.

But the article didn't confirm anything. All it did was rehash quotes and pick at an old scab.

Qward

Because! That's why!
Jul 23, 2010
Behind you, look out
But the article didn't confirm anything. All it did was rehash quotes and pick at an old scab.

Sources confirmed to the Ottawa Sun that Melnyk was accompanied by Ottawa GM Bryan Murray, who took a break from the club's scouting meetings in Florida to attend the presentation with Melnyk.

Bob McKenzie ‏@TSNBobMcKenzie

It's believed they're there as part of Melnyk's forensic investigation into Matt Cooke's skate cut on Erik Karlsson last season.

there ya go.

Qward

Because! That's why!
Jul 23, 2010
Behind you, look out
Oooh, so the sources confirmed that he was accompanied by Bryan Murray...

This doesn't "confirm the reason they were there".

It confirms that they were there.

This is why it is important to actually read the article before spouting off.

The Senators' owner, who launched what he called a "forensic" investigation into whether the former Pittsburgh Penguins winger intentionally sliced defenceman Erik Karlsson's Achilles tendon last February, met with the NHL Monday in New York to inform commissioner Gary Bettman, deputy Bill Daly and VP of discipline Brendan Shanahan of the club's findings.

Sources confirmed to the Ottawa Sun that Melnyk was accompanied by Ottawa GM Bryan Murray, who took a break from the club's scouting meetings in Florida to attend the presentation with Melnyk.

SenzZen

RIP, GOAT
Jan 31, 2011
Ottawa

I did read the article (unfortunately), and there's nothing in it to indicate that it's anyone but Boo-boo's belief that it was:
to inform commissioner Gary Bettman, deputy Bill Daly and VP of discipline Brendan Shanahan of the club's findings.

Nothing at all. It's an opinion piece to get hits, and I'm sorry to have obliged thinking there was actually a story here.

The article says that Melnyk couldn't be reached, and won't comment on the issue, and that the "source" confirms that Murray was present. So who told him what the subject matter of the meeting was? Nobody. There's no mention of it, because that would kill this "story".

ChocolateLeclaire

Jan 12, 2010
Ottawa, Canada

But it seems like Garrioch is just connecting the dots with no verification. He knew that Melynk wanted to present this to Bettman, Daly and Shanahan. Then he gets "sources" to confirm Melynk and Murray are there. Then he connects the two.

I still don't see how Garrioch can assume that that's the reason they are there for. Especially when 2 of the 3 parties Melynk was to meet weren't there.

thinkwild

Veni Vidi Toga
Jul 29, 2003
Ottawa
Suggestions are that it could have been related to the rescheduling of one of our Friday night games to a Saturday afternoon as Carolina needs to play a makeup game and cant play 3 in 3 nights. So Ottawa Afternoon Senators to the rescue.

Filatov2Kovalev2Bonk

Effortless sexy.
Jul 13, 2006
Cumberland
Mckenzie opinion + a source saying Murray was in New York. Nothing yet to confirm this is Cooke related.

:huh:

Minnesota beat guy says there will be no consequences to Wild or Cooke from the invesitgation.
Pre-game pretty much confirms they delivered findings on Cooke, that the findings won't be made public unless there's a leak.
It's easy enough to find out why he was there...Booboo just calls Senators front office, they spill the beans.

Karlsson even commented on it apparently, saying he's glad the Senators owner has player's backs.

ChocolateLeclaire

Jan 12, 2010
Ottawa, Canada
Suggestions are that it could have been related to the rescheduling of one of our Friday night games to a Saturday afternoon as Carolina needs to play a makeup game and cant play 3 in 3 nights. So Ottawa Afternoon Senators to the rescue.

And our game gets moved to noon. So this is likely what the meeting was about.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad