Speculation: #Melnkyout...The time is NOW!

Will you boycott the Sens over the next 6-8 weeks to put added pressure on Melnyk?

• Total voters

Danythegod

Jun 25, 2013
Ottawa, ON
Hate to say it, but you can't force him out. Numbers don't lie. The team starts to win, butts go back into seats.

The boycott will not work. However, this is not saying I don't want him out. I just don't see the effectiveness of the boycott to doing so, with a guy like Melnyk. Hard to get under a guy's skin, when he doesn't even reside in the country his purchased hockey team plays in.
I will tell you that my profession is reading people and understanding through body language and tones how they are feeling... I can tell you in my professional opinion that this getting to melnyk quite a bit. He comes off as a Scrooge but he’s a very sensitive person.

harrisb

Oct 6, 2009
Anyone find it ironic that Melnyk likes to say how the team loses money but always ignores the profitable parts of the larger business.

On the other hand, he says a downtown arena isn't viable due to the other parts of the bid (business).

Kettle meet pot

Reactions: Alf Silfversson

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
I don't think another ~5000 people in the seats makes him stay... and I don't think continues low attendance makes him sell... hockey teams in general are not profitable. the Sens never will be I don't think.. he will sell because he has to.. I don't think attendance affects that.

Danythegod

Jun 25, 2013
Ottawa, ON
Lets say the boycott works well and revenue drops 8 million, do you think EM eats that loss? Do you think he will get scared and sell, or do you think he will simply replace Stone and *****e with 2 rookies and still be up a million?
I think it's fairly obvious what happens and it isnt what your selling. On top of that, EM will have the team listed as a seperate entity, so you might be able to damage the sens finances but your not bankrupting EM at all.

Now if you really drive the teams value into the dirt, the team will be moved to a city where its value is high and every single owner will be on board, they will not help fans in OTT drag down the perceived value of a NHL franchise, it would bring down the value of all the teams.
This also goes for sales, the list of people that will give EM 500 million for a team then spend another 400 on a rink is realistically no one. Its more likely another city with a rink ready to go buys the team, this way the NHL can save face and keep its crazy valuations intact. Also any potential buyer and Bettman know that if the team ever sucks again not only will the fans not show they will organize and try to bankrupt again, this makes moving the team a safer bet.

I would't be so sure your theory where someone spends 1 billion dollars on a bankrupt hockey team in ottawa makes the most sense.
I’d rather see the team leave than melnyk running this anymore. At least at the end of the day if it happens, I stood for what was right and trying to oust this crazy, delusional old man. Standing by and saying that “there’s nothing we can do”, “I don’t get a boycott”, “they will move the team” is being a sheep.

Standing by and letting someone use fear to control you is terrible. Everyone needs to wake up and stop defending melnyk and stop saying “I’d love him out as well” without actually trying to make a difference.

Those kind of people are the type of people who hate bills that pass that affect them negatively but they didn’t go and vote for the right politician who fights against that bill.

Like politics, I don’t think anyone who isn’t on the #melnykout train has no right to an opinion on the matter as they are not doing anything for this cause except trying to undermine it. I guarantee once melnyk GTFO, those same people will take pride in that they “made a difference” even though they did nothing at all.

Danythegod

Jun 25, 2013
Ottawa, ON
I don't think another ~5000 people in the seats makes him stay... and I don't think continues low attendance makes him sell... hockey teams in general are not profitable. the Sens never will be I don't think.. he will sell because he has to.. I don't think attendance affects that.
yeah he’s going to sell no matter what because as you said “hockey teams don’t make profit” and this team is his money maker now since his pharmaceutical endeavours took an L. It’s only a matter of time.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
I’d rather see the team leave than melnyk running this anymore. At least at the end of the day if it happens, I stood for what was right and trying to oust this crazy, delusional old man. Standing by and saying that “there’s nothing we can do”, “I don’t get a boycott”, “they will move the team” is being a sheep.

Standing by and letting someone use fear to control you is terrible. Everyone needs to wake up and stop defending melnyk and stop saying “I’d love him out as well” without actually trying to make a difference.

Those kind of people are the type of people who hate bills that pass that affect them negatively but they didn’t go and vote for the right politician who fights against that bill.

Like politics, I don’t think anyone who isn’t on the #melnykout train has no right to an opinion on the matter as they are not doing anything for this cause except trying to undermine it. I guarantee once melnyk GTFO, those same people will take pride in that they “made a difference” even though they did nothing at all.
you may feel that way.. im not sure how though. peoples lives aren't at stake here this ISNT politics its a hockey team.. with an asshole owner. no one is letting fear control them. I do what I want.. ive gone to hockey games sincei was 3 years old. its something I enjoy... I don't let anyone dictate what I do and don't do... im going to stop attending hockey games because of some asshole?

Reactions: coladin

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
yeah he’s going to sell no matter what because as you said “hockey teams don’t make profit” and this team is his money maker now since his pharmaceutical endeavours took an L. It’s only a matter of time.
I don't know if this is sarcasm haha. but yeah I do think it is a matter of time.

owning this team is literally his job lol, that's very strange in the NHL.

Danythegod

Jun 25, 2013
Ottawa, ON
you may feel that way.. im not sure how though. peoples lives aren't at stake here this ISNT politics its a hockey team.. with an ******* owner. no one is letting fear control them. I do what I want.. ive gone to hockey games sincei was 3 years old. its something I enjoy... I don't let anyone dictate what I do and don't do... im going to stop attending hockey games because of some *******?
I can already see from how you responded that you just don’t really care about anything and just cruise through life. Have some pride in your sports team instead of your pacifist approach to everything.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
I can already see from how you responded that you just don’t really care about anything and just cruise through life. Have some pride in your sports team instead of your pacifist approach to everything.
lmao is this your profession shining through.. you get paid for this?

*likes hockey
*goes to view hockey event

professional: wow, classic pacifist behaviour

pride in my sports team would beeeeeeeeeeeeee hoping they move?

like I said I truly think he sells regardless whether I go or not.. I think theres more to this than "if we drop attendance he will have to sell"

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
It’s crazy how the entire city has changed attitudes on Melnyck - from he mayors office to the fan in the 300 section with the cheapest seat.

Melnyck once viewed as a saviour is now viewed as a man who is holding up the ambitions of he entire city to see its vision for the future core of the city.

When Melnyxk bought the team the downtown of Ottawa was considered dead and Kanata was everything. Now Kantanis dying and the downtown is everything, the saviour is a bum.

Even Alfies rep took a hit.
Kanata is not dying. The second Melnyk started talking about budget the tide turned. He took so much pleasure in spending less and getting results. He is his own worst enemy.

Egg

Sep 3, 2007
I can tell you in my professional opinion that this getting to melnyk quite a bit.

Getting to him, and forcing him to sell are two very different things.

Of course he is affected by the loss of fans filling his arena.

This is damaging to his pride, as there is no hiding it. Its blatant.

A team failing for years in my opinion, has to start looking within. That starts with the person pulling the strings at the top.

Egg

Sep 3, 2007
I’d rather see the team leave than melnyk running this anymore.

I would rather voice my displeasure in constructive means, than one that damages the team.

You can't force him out. Period.

It's his business. Now, if you were looking at filing a lawsuit and applying actual pressure that he can't ignore or hide from, now we're talking.

All damage to him, trickles to the team.

Your favorite product falters due to poor sales, does the CEO step down typically, or are there massive cuts to stop the bleeding.

Ottawa can survive a bad season or two.

To call people who support the Sens sheep because they refuse to do what everyone else should do, is irony at it's best.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009

I think attendance makes a big difference. The talk out of Philly is empty seats and how the organization cannot tolerate it. Next thing you know, the GM gets fired.

If the building is full we are talking at least 10M more to the bottom line (using last years attendance). That is a star player's salary. Or debt repayment , or whatever the needs are.

It all adds up is a common line in business. The Sens will always be challenged to be profitable, but breaking even should be the goal on a regular season. A full arena plus a playoff round or two is a profitable team that can fund the future stars.

The way things are going, money is going to be tight to sign our stars. Melnyk will have to put up in order to shut up the naysayers. Critical moves coming.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009

Dude you serious? Whatever your profession is...change it.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
I think attendance makes a big difference. The talk out of Philly is empty seats and how the organization cannot tolerate it. Next thing you know, the GM gets fired.

If the building is full we are talking at least 10M more to the bottom line (using last years attendance). That is a star player's salary. Or debt repayment , or whatever the needs are.

It all adds up is a common line in business. The Sens will always be challenged to be profitable, but breaking even should be the goal on a regular season. A full arena plus a playoff round or two is a profitable team that can fund the future stars.

The way things are going, money is going to be tight to sign our stars. Melnyk will have to put up in order to shut up the naysayers. Critical moves coming.
So you're saying there's a chance Dorion gets fired?

I'll take that as a consolation prize right now.

Reactions: coladin

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Or at least to #Melnykout instead of #Melnkyout. But I guess that's better than if tuna999 had created the thread and went with #Melnyckout.

his real name is:

Poo-jeans ‘I’ll sue you for every penny I don’t have to build the arena’ Melnyck.

Or he goes by his Barbados street name ‘crazy mofo’

Masked

(Super/star)
Apr 16, 2017
Parts unknown
his real name is:

Poo-jeans ‘I’ll sue you for every penny I don’t have to build the arena’ Melnyck.

Or he goes by his Barbados street name ‘crazy mofo’

Poo-jeans? Really? That's the kind of insult that most people out grow when they hit their 9th birthday.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad