Recalled/Assigned: Meier recalled 12/15/16

Mattb124

Apr 29, 2011
One can defend Connor/Rantanen but Barzal is the most mediocre prospect to get this much love in a while.

You are arguing with the defender of the indefensible, which is ironic given more than 2/3 of the Sharks forwards are natural centers (Thornton, Pavs, Couture, Marelau, Hertl, Tierney, Karlsson, Wingels, and Haley).

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Hah. I did it a little different.

I never went to class, then the midterm got moved up without me knowing (because I never went to class). I was drinking and gaming with my a roommate. The other roommate asks if I'm ready for the midterm. I'm a little confused, thinking it's a few days later. Well it wasn't. Then I just dropped the ball on the 2nd midterm too. Went into the final with like 30%. Got a 95% on the final and barely passed the course.

Re-took it just to fix my grade and got 95%. At least I'm consistent(ish). :laugh:

Wait... you can retake exams in college? Since when is that a thing?

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
Wait... you can retake exams in college? Since when is that a thing?

Meant to say I re-took the class. :laugh:

I'm really glad I re-took it though. The prof the second time taught a far more practical version of the intro to econometrics. In retrospect, I have no idea why we assumed things like homoscedasticity with the first prof I had.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
Meier has to be one of the 1st prospects since marleau that pretty much every one is excited to see being called up.

sjsharks92

Shark Tank Commander
Jun 9, 2014
Bay Area, California
Yah. Since we make the playoffs, we don't really get to pick top-10 and get that pumped up about them. Meier and Couture are the last two top-10 picks we have had.

Right that was basically what I meant. Couture is the highest pick we've had prior to Meier in recent memory and he pretty much lived up to it right away. Hopefully Meier does the same.

Led Zappa

Tomorrow Today
Jan 8, 2007
Silicon Valley
Perhaps I'm incorrect but wasn't Couture a similar case?

Many many posters said Couture was picked because of the team he played for and were afraid of his concussion and that mono kept people from being able to tell if he was worth the pick IIRC. IDR this kind of excitement even by the time he was called up.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
Many many posters said Couture was picked because of the team he played for and were afraid of his concussion and that mono kept people from being able to tell if he was worth the pick IIRC. IDR this kind of excitement even by the time he was called up.

Couture was definately not a liked pick. Would almost go as far as his selection was viewed in the same way as the mueller pick was.

Led Zappa

Tomorrow Today
Jan 8, 2007
Silicon Valley
This is sort of what I was thinking. Both picks weren't popular on draft day but both did well before their call ups (and in Couture's case after as well)

I had Couture in my sig before Hertl. It's Couture in the helmet. He was a "prove you were worth the pick" prospect for most when he was called up. No where near the hype and hope for Meier we see today.

That's not to say he didn't have his supporters, but you know how this board is.

Sharksrule04

Jul 23, 2010
New York, NY
I remember being very excited about Hertl but yea, I don't think people were as excited with him as they are with Meier, plus he started the season in the NHL, so not a call up.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Meant to say I re-took the class. :laugh:

I'm really glad I re-took it though. The prof the second time taught a far more practical version of the intro to econometrics. In retrospect, I have no idea why we assumed things like homoscedasticity with the first prof I had.

Ohhhh, gotcha. Makes more sense. :laugh:

The difference is with Couture, he was a possible #1 pick before he got mono/concussed. We're lucky he fell to us and we took the risk to draft him.

DonskoiDonscored

Oct 12, 2013
Meier was 4th on the team in 5v5 CF% and was ahead of your golden boy David Schlemko.

He made some rookie plays and looked unaware at times, but so does everyone playing in their first NHL game. He was invisible for most of the game though (which is not bad for his first NHL game), but there is lots of potential there.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad