Confirmed with Link: Meghan Hunter has been promoted to Assistant General Manager

hawksrule

Lot of brains but no polish
May 18, 2014
It's not an academic exercise but there is value in time and timing with NHL transactions.

Not everyone knew he was getting traded, including Minnesota and they didn't know the cap dollars involved. Big trades like that are bottleneck often bottlenecks. Some gms hang around and others move on. When the asks are wrong, there isn't much dialogue and we get the "there wasn't much interest" or "there wasn't alot of talk" thing in answers as to why so many assets weren't moved.
Respectfully, I find the bulk of these criticisms very weak.

EddieTheEagle

Sep 17, 2006
Guys, please. Douglas is newly reformed. He is still working on changing his ways. He made a personal promise to me to be more positive and not be overly critical of King Lizard Wizard KD.

Douglas, do you want to please tell everyone how pumped you are for the upcoming season?

I think this thread can probably die if we don't have more commentary on the great hire of Meghan Hunter, and we can go be positive somewhere else together.

hockeydoug

May 26, 2012
All of this ranting and raving over the last several pages is based on hearsay and your assumptions. You haven't even provided a source for any of the rumors you keep citing.
It's only a rant if you disagree with it.

I posted 2 athletic stories from writers I trust not to throw rumors around. There is quite a bit on the MAF trade out there. He was asking a 2nd for CDH according to Shinzawa (talked about Boston looking at LD but didn't directly link them to talks with KD) and the CHI gm didn't look good in the MAF trade holding out for a first.

Here's one that stood out on Hagel:
Why the Lightning paid a premium to trade for Blackhawks' Brandon Hagel

BriseBois said he didn’t know Hagel was available — a source said teams have been calling Chicago for a month — but once he was in play, the Lightning put their chips on the table.

It's not definitive proof of anything but I think there's enough rhetoric and action to state Brisebois was driving the acquisition more than masterful work done by the rookie gm.

Guys, please. Douglas is newly reformed. He is still working on changing his ways. He made a personal promise to me to be more positive and not be overly critical of King Lizard Wizard KD.

Douglas, do you want to please tell everyone how pumped you are for the upcoming season?

I think this thread can probably die if we don't have more commentary on the great hire of Meghan Hunter, and we can go be positive somewhere else together.
need the check to clear.

maybe the bank can't make out the blurred signature? Should we call the bank?

Reactions: EddieTheEagle

hockeydoug

May 26, 2012
uhhh, what?

But Chicago GM Kyle Davidson wouldn’t get off his ask of a first-round pick. On Sunday, Guerin was told that if he didn’t meet Chicago’s price, Fleury would start Sunday night against the Winnipeg Jets.

That's from the story posted before. Wasn't a sure thing and all those cap dollars weren't open.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
But Chicago GM Kyle Davidson wouldn’t get off his ask of a first-round pick. On Sunday, Guerin was told that if he didn’t meet Chicago’s price, Fleury would start Sunday night against the Winnipeg Jets.

That's from the story posted before. Wasn't a sure thing and all those cap dollars weren't open.
No where in that quote does it say that not everyone knew he was getting traded. You need to play hardball with teams to get the most out of them, pretty much every GM does that.

Space umpire

Nov 15, 2018
Cocoa Beach, Florida

What exactly is your problem with the statement you quoted here?
Guerin and Davidson offered and countered. They eventually met in the middle.

As for Hagel, I question your source. That he was being shopped was discussed here prior to the trade. If the reporter claims the bolt GM didn’t know he was available I question the validity of the reporter. As for Tampa just throwing the offer out there. … What Chicago was “demanding” for Hagel was well known (a week?) before the deal. And Davidson got Raddysh (a decent player) as part of the money Chicago had to take back to make the cap work.

As for CdH, In his healthy years the guy was a warrior. He was certainly broken down in the end but was without doubt a guy whose effort you wanted kids to see and listen too. We (fans) have got it good. We sit on the couch and bitch about guys like him (or Seabrook) sucking. Other guys (in the room) see a grizzled vet who walks in and out of the room in considerable pain then takes the ice. Gives 100% of what he has left. Continuing to block shots and take a pounding.
If there had been a decent offer (3rd?) out there I would bet Davidson asks him 1st and being the team guy he is he likely accepts but I’m glad as it worked out he was not forced to move for a pick with a 10% chance of making it.

End of rant.

Reactions: tioelcomoto

hockeydoug

May 26, 2012
No where in that quote does it say that not everyone knew he was getting traded. You need to play hardball with teams to get the most out of them, pretty much every GM does that.
I think it shows was that there was a gap in the negotiations...the uncertainty. For example, ANA sat on everybody good they were shopping last year, including a HOF player. It was a bottleneck.

Maybe there was enough time to work through other options with the roster, I just didn't see it that way.

hockeydoug

May 26, 2012
What exactly is your problem with the statement you quoted here?
Guerin and Davidson offered and countered. They eventually met in the middle.

As for Hagel, I question your source. That he was being shopped was discussed here prior to the trade. If the reporter claims the bolt GM didn’t know he was available I question the validity of the reporter. As for Tampa just throwing the offer out there. … What Chicago was “demanding” for Hagel was well known (a week?) before the deal. And Davidson got Raddysh (a decent player) as part of the money Chicago had to take back to make the cap work.

As for CdH, In his healthy years the guy was a warrior. He was certainly broken down in the end but was without doubt a guy whose effort you wanted kids to see and listen too. We (fans) have got it good. We sit on the couch and bitch about guys like him (or Seabrook) sucking. Other guys (in the room) see a grizzled vet who walks in and out of the room in considerable pain then takes the ice. Gives 100% of what he has left. Continuing to block shots and take a pounding.
If there had been a decent offer (3rd?) out there I would bet Davidson asks him 1st and being the team guy he is he likely accepts but I’m glad as it worked out he was not forced to move for a pick with a 10% chance of making it.

End of rant.

Chicago had capspace tied up contingent on a deal that may not happen. I used the quote to support my belief that, contrary to what others said, a MAF deal was not a sure thing.

No problem questioning the Hagel source. Brisebois' history is more convincing to me anyway. Given his trade history and the benefit of hindsight with what KD has and hasn't done with transactions in limited time, I just don't believe KD was really relevant. Every and any gm is going to ask for a lot days and weeks before the deadline, if the buyer meets a real high price long before the deadline, I don't think much credit goes to the seller.

For example Bowman beat himself to get Fleischmann and Weise more than his buddy beat him imo. Very similar, well ahead of time, outbid the competition, decisive by the seller.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
I think it shows was that there was a gap in the negotiations...the uncertainty. For example, ANA sat on everybody good they were shopping last year, including a HOF player. It was a bottleneck.

Maybe there was enough time to work through other options with the roster, I just didn't see it that way.
Ya there is obviously always a gap in every negotiation. Should we have just given our players away just in hopes of getting any asset? MAF had a NMC, if he only wanted to go to MIN, there isn't much our GM can do except play hardball with MIN. Should he have just said, well, you are the only one we can deal with so what will you give us? That's not how the industry works. You don't just give players away for what the team will give you.

As for other players not being traded, who should have been traded besides who was traded? DeHaan had zero value, Strome no one wanted. Kubalik no one wanted,...who else was there?

Reactions: Space umpire

Drumman44

Kyle Beach Deserved Better
May 2, 2017
The Leafs are horribly mismanaged.

It wasn't too long ago they were looking like the most promising team in the league.

All squandered in a few years of Dubas.

Would have for sure pegged you as a pro Dubas guy

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
Chicago had capspace tied up contingent on a deal that may not happen. I used the quote to support my belief that, contrary to what others said, a MAF deal was not a sure thing.

No problem questioning the Hagel source. Brisebois' history is more convincing to me anyway. Given his trade history and the benefit of hindsight with what KD has and hasn't done with transactions in limited time, I just don't believe KD was really relevant. Every and any gm is going to ask for a lot days and weeks before the deadline, if the buyer meets a real high price long before the deadline, I don't think much credit goes to the seller.

For example Bowman beat himself to get Fleischmann and Weise more than his buddy beat him imo. Very similar, well ahead of time, outbid the competition, decisive by the seller.
And that capspace they didn't use was used by who instead of them?

The only thing I see they lost out on was getting that mid 20s Minnesota goalie in the return. Minny to make sure he was traded for value traded him to SJ I believe, but I'm not sure they want that guy anyway. He has potential that does not fit the bill of sure thing bad that Mrazek/Stalock are

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
It's only a rant if you disagree with it.

I posted 2 athletic stories from writers I trust not to throw rumors around. There is quite a bit on the MAF trade out there. He was asking a 2nd for CDH according to Shinzawa (talked about Boston looking at LD but didn't directly link them to talks with KD) and the CHI gm didn't look good in the MAF trade holding out for a first.

Here's one that stood out on Hagel:
Why the Lightning paid a premium to trade for Blackhawks' Brandon Hagel

BriseBois said he didn’t know Hagel was available — a source said teams have been calling Chicago for a month — but once he was in play, the Lightning put their chips on the table.

It's not definitive proof of anything but I think there's enough rhetoric and action to state Brisebois was driving the acquisition more than masterful work done by the rookie gm.

need the check to clear.

maybe the bank can't make out the blurred signature? Should we call the bank?

I'm talking about CDH. I don't care to get involved in your literary masturbation about the MAF or Hagel trades because I think your arguments are absolute nonsense. You're arguing from a predetermined opinion that Davidson sucks, and your bias is overwhelming. It's nothing but cognitive dissonance.

Where's your source for ANYTHING about trading CDH?

Reactions: Giovi

hockeydoug

May 26, 2012
I'm talking about CDH. I don't care to get involved in your literary masturbation about the MAF or Hagel trades because I think your arguments are absolute nonsense. You're arguing from a predetermined opinion that Davidson sucks, and your bias is overwhelming. It's nothing but cognitive dissonance.

Where's your source for ANYTHING about trading CDH?
Got it. KD handled the MAF masterfully, and asking for a prospect after conceding ground and agreeing to a trade is a sign that he's really good at all this stuff. No reason to assume Brisebois drove the Hagel trade, the rookie knows how to execute major deals with experienced gms.

Athletic article from Boston writer earlier mentioned two teams inquiring about CDH and that the ask was a 2nd in Chicago, no mention of retention. Multiple other teams, including Boston, was reported with quotes that they were actively looking to address defense and left defense. I think just about everyone agrees that a 2nd was too much of an ask.

hawksrule

Lot of brains but no polish
May 18, 2014
Got it. KD handled the MAF masterfully, and asking for a prospect after conceding ground and agreeing to a trade is a sign that he's really good at all this stuff. No reason to assume Brisebois drove the Hagel trade, the rookie knows how to execute major deals with experienced gms.

Athletic article from Boston writer earlier mentioned two teams inquiring about CDH and that the ask was a 2nd in Chicago, no mention of retention. Multiple other teams, including Boston, was reported with quotes that they were actively looking to address defense and left defense. I think just about everyone agrees that a 2nd was too much of an ask.
A dirty snot rag was too much of an ask. Cdh had zero value.

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011

We know a second wasn't going to happen. Ever.

But do we know what Boston or someone else might have actually offered? I'm guessing no, but if it's just a 6th round pick who even cares.

Reactions: Callidusblackhawk

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad