Speculation: Meeting with Lecavalier

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Still no goalie or defense.

Weird.

They have a lot of money spent up already, up front and on the back end. For a truly weak back end.

They HAVE to move someone shortly.
Schenn, Couts AND of course Giroux (top 10 player in the league, arguably).
All get new contracts next year. Same as Read... I know they get to lose two pretty bad contracts on their defence, clearing up 10 million... but they still don't have a goalie; and will only have 20 million to play with with 14 contracts, excluding Giroux, Schenn and Couts (who will probably make up about 15 million LOL).

Also, a quick question.
How long can the Flyers continue to abuse the IR. I think it's pretty clear Pronger will not be playing; hell, he was scouting for them... Can he seriously be an IR player for 4 years? Or is he actively making a push back to the NHL?

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
They have a lot of money spent up already, up front and on the back end. For a truly weak back end.

They HAVE to move someone shortly.
Schenn, Couts AND of course Giroux (top 10 player in the league, arguably).
All get new contracts next year. Same as Read... I know they get to lose two pretty bad contracts on their defence, clearing up 10 million... but they still don't have a goalie; and will only have 20 million to play with with 14 contracts, excluding Giroux, Schenn and Couts (who will probably make up about 15 million LOL).

Also, a quick question.
How long can the Flyers continue to abuse the IR. I think it's pretty clear Pronger will not be playing; hell, he was scouting for them... Can he seriously be an IR player for 4 years? Or is he actively making a push back to the NHL?

G is a top 5 player in the league, and watch what you say about the Flyers. :laugh:

Mez or worst case Coburn will be dumped. And yes Thomas makes to much sense.

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
I have a feeling the league will step in regarding Pronger and fine them for cap circumventing if they continue to place him on IR.

To land Thomas they will need to move someone. Chances are its Grossman.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
I have a feeling the league will step in regarding Pronger and fine them for cap circumventing if they continue to place him on IR.

If he doesn't retire there isn't anything else they can do.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012

What? That is the most ridiculous thing I have heard. Why on earth would you think it is even remotely feasible for the Flyers to be fined for placing an INJURED player on INJURED RESERVE.

I think I have heard everything now. :help:

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503

His concussion is very much legitimate. There's nothing the league can do here.

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
What? That is the most ridiculous thing I have heard. Why on earth would you think it is even remotely feasible for the Flyers to be fined for placing an INJURED player on INJURED RESERVE.

I think I have heard everything now. :help:

Coercing or persuading Pronger not to retire in order to circumvent the cap. Or is that impossible?

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
His concussion is very much legitimate. There's nothing the league can do here.

I believe its legit. What I don't believe is that Pronger will ever play hockey again without any indications of improvement in his condition. He hasn't played hockey in what, 2 + 1/2 seasons?

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
Why does that mean he can't go on IR?

He should've retired. I can't think of any reason why he hasn't unless he really believes he can play hockey again, being 38 years old and having stayed off the ice for so long. Its weird to me, unless Philly has discouraged him from retiring. I'm just speculating here.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I believe its legit. What I don't believe is that Pronger will ever play hockey again without any indications of improvement in his condition. He hasn't played hockey in what, 2 + 1/2 seasons?
You think they have convinced him not to retire? Watch recent interviews with him, he still refuses to say he is done, the desire is very clearly there. Plus all the "coercing" they need to do is keep signing his cheques because if he retires he stops getting them.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
Coercing or persuading Pronger not to retire in order to circumvent the cap. Or is that impossible?

Last interview I saw with Pronger from earlier this year had him stating he still wanted to come back. Granted, he admitted it was unlikely, but he did say he was hopeful.

Highly unlikely the league could ever prove the Flyers are forcing Pronger not to retire. Keep in mind, if Pronger retired, he doesn't get paid the remainder of his contract. There's a pretty substantial monetary reason for him to stick with it.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
He should've retired. I can't think of any reason why he hasn't unless he really believes he can play hockey again, being 38 years old and having stayed off the ice for so long. Its weird to me, unless Philly has discouraged him from retiring. I'm just speculating here.

Why should he retire he gets paid if he doesn't retire. He clearly wants the money and hopes one day he can play.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Last interview I saw with Pronger from earlier this year had him stating he still wanted to come back. Granted, he admitted it was unlikely, but he did say he was hopeful.

Highly unlikely the league could ever prove the Flyers are forcing Pronger not to retire. Keep in mind, if Pronger retired, he doesn't get paid the remainder of his contract. There's a pretty substantial monetary reason for him to stick with it.
He pretty much said the same at the draft. He won't admit he is done, the fire is still there.

herashak

Mar 24, 2013

pronger doesnt want to retire because he gets payed. flyers dont want him to retire because if he does they are stuck with his cap hit

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010

The league would be dumb to not look into it. I bet they monitor Pronger to ensure he's still making an effort. Mind you, if the Thomas trade to the Islanders wasn't circumvention, I don't know what is?

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
The league would be dumb to not look into it. I bet they monitor Pronger to ensure he's still making an effort. Mind you, if the Thomas trade to the Islanders wasn't circumvention, I don't know what is?

I believe for IR purposes, the player has to be seen by league approved doctors.

He's still very much sensitive to light, so there's not much he can do with regards to a comeback. All he has to do is basically say, yeah he wants to come back, and the league has to take his word for it.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
He pretty much said the same at the draft. He won't admit he is done, the fire is still there.

It's a pretty terrible way to end a career. Players like Pronger usually get to choose when they walk away; he could have honestly played another four or five years of hockey at a fairly high, elite level.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
It's a pretty terrible way to end a career. Players like Pronger usually get to choose when they walk away; he could have honestly played another four or five years of hockey at a fairly high, elite level.
Yep. I hope he is able to make it right and come back even if it's for 1 shift to end it on his own terms.

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane

So if that's your stace do you think the same about Marc Savard?

For the record I completely disagree. If they signed that deal with the intent he was going to retire early, sure. But it's legit injuries keeping him from playing.

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
So if that's your stace do you think the same about Marc Savard?

For the record I completely disagree. If they signed that deal with the intent he was going to retire early, sure. But it's legit injuries keeping him from playing.

I think both should be compensated for losses and remain compensated beyond their contract. I also disagree with the cap hit when a player retires. But its still a masquerade.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad