Meeting Day Thread: 6/3

Status
Not open for further replies.

not quite yoda

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
King'sPawn said:
33 is old? Since when? Here are a few "old" players who will turn 33 by the end of this year (if they haven't already):

Zigmund Palffy
Roman Hamrlik
Alexei Yashin
Mike Rathje...

Just look at the 1992 draft and before. You'll find many 33 year-OLD players who are contributing just fine.

But all these damn old dogs... we should just take them to the back yard now and shoot them! They're on their last legs!

33 is old for a proffessional athlete.

I didn't say they are "done". I didn't say "finished". I didn't say "useless".

These days a player who is 27 or 28 and who has been in the league for a few years is a veteran. At 33 you are not only a veteran but the end of your career is likely somewhere in the horizon. You think about it, getting one last big contract, or joining a contender to gain that elusive championship ring.

Nolan, in particular due to his style of play, ware and tear, and consequent injuries, is old at 33. He is an old 33. Look at Team Canada. They put him on the SLC team in 2002. And what since then? They decided to go "young" for the WC of hockey in 2004. They didn't even consider him for the World championships. They took "youngsters" like Morrow ahead of Nolan. They took "stars" :sarcasm: like Fischer and Maltby ahead of him.

Nolan is clearly not what he once was. He is not the same player he was in 2001 or 2002. He certainly isn't a young player. So what does that leave us with?

mooseOAK*

The Macho Man said:
It's the Leafs. Need I say more?

I will: TOR likes to spend money on old guys.
They didn't like to, they had to. However, that will be changing because the need for getting plyers outside the system isn't as dire any more.

AXN

Feb 10, 2004
Who cares who put who in his place. Its 9:20 EST. Are they still meeting?

oildrop

Mar 3, 2002
Visit site
AXN said:
Who cares who put who in his place. Its 9:20 EST. Are they still meeting?

According to an Update on SportsNet News on Sportsnet just a few minutes ago, they are still in the meeting.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
jtuzzi21 said:
None of those players play(ed) the reckless powerforward style of Nolan circa his Shark days. Powerforwards age much quicker than other players.

I'm not disputing that power forwards have a shorter career than non-power forwards... but he said 33 is old. Then he compunded it with the fact that he plays a power forward game.

Keith Tkachuk is 33 years old. Bill Guerin will be 35 by the end of the year. Owen Nolan has injuries that lower his value as a player, but it doesn't lower his value any more than a small sniper like Martin Straka who has had (freak) injury problems.

I'd say 33 is past prime, but this is turning into another case of early 30's being "too old."

Oh, and Martin Brodeur, while not a power forward, definitely needs a lot of athleticism and endurance with the game he plays. He's 33, too.

But enough digressing. Has anything new about the meeting been announced?

hockeyfan125

Jul 10, 2004
Zack Attack said:
canucks.com is hilarious.
Mr. Habitat is one of the better posters there... So I would put some stock into what he says. It is overrun with teenage puckbunnies, but there are some good posters left.

mr gib

Sep 19, 2004
vancouver
www.bigtopkarma.com
FreshBrew said:
Rumour emerging on canucks.com forum.. guy claims he knows dave scatchard and said Trevor Linden has put goodenow in his place..

I dont believe it, but it will stir up some conversation.

link to the thread:
http://forum.canucks.com/viewtopic.php?t=91406
its all over here in vancouver - linden is in control -

— that the PA czar has clashed with the Association's president, Trevor Linden on CBA issues. Other sources confirm a Goodenow-Linden spat.

ForsbergForever

May 19, 2004
In that thread from http://forum.canucks.com/viewtopic.php?t=91406 someone said the owners should put Bettman in his place just as Linden allegedly did to Goodenow. I ask, why would they when the Comish is about to hand them complete CBA victory (if the rumours are true). It took awhile but it looks like Bettman has finally won the day for the owners.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Who is this someone? Before everyone started jumping for joy around here, let it be known that it is someone at another message board "reporting" this he has no more media credentials than I do.

Beukeboom Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Chicago, IL
Visit site
scaredsensfan said:
1. How is a lowered UFA age, coming no doubt with the new CBA, going to help the Oilers? They'll lose players even earlier under the new CBA. You consider Luke Richardson and Todd Marchant impact players? :sarcasm: :shakehead :biglaugh:
Just incase you're still misguided:

-UFA players are not who you should build your team around. There should be a select few on a championship team. Most of the good lpayers on winning teams are between the ages of 22-30. The Oilers had full control over who they kept and who they didn't between these ages (well 18 - 30 really)

2. Teams shouldn't have a schedule where they all compete within a certain time period. There should be very few (5-6) elite teams in the league. All the rest are either

a) Rebuilding
b) Declining
c) Stuck in mediocrity

The 24 or so teams that are not elite should strive to become elite by rebuilding, making good trades of blowing up an aging core and starting over again.

I fail to see how forcing a team to spend a minimum, reducing the UFA age and putting a relatively low max on improving teams/rebuilding teams/elite teams helps them.

For a rebuilding team, spending a minimum amount above what they wuold naturally spend in a less restrictive CBA like the 94-04 one will lead them to make poor decisions personnel wise, sign veterans to fill spots to meet the minimum instead of playing a young player, or signing a younger player to an inflated contract to meet the minimum.

For improving teams they will have most of their players in the 22-30 age range, which will mean that they will become more expensive as their team ages. Having a lower cap means it will be a lot harder for improving teams like Vancouver, San Jose, Ottawa and tampa Bay to stay together.

For elite teams, (if they even exist) they will have to gut their team of a star player or two every season to stay under the cap, against their will, or try and convince their players to take below market value, cap or not, to stay with the team. The first part is not fair to the team and the 2nd part is not fair to the players.

Management will still make mistakes, that is to be certain, but the amount of impact those mistakes have on the bottom line will be minimized, and thus the incentive to improve (or the NEED to improve) will be far lower than the previous CBA, since the teams will say 'shucks, we'd like to re-sign this guy but we don't have the cap room'.

The Oilers would be helped if the Flyers couldn't overpay Luke Richardson by 100%. The impact players I was talking about were Guerin and Weight, who made a combined $18.5M in 2004. In fact, the two teams that were paying Guerin and Weight had each approximately DOUBLE the payroll of the Oilers. Also, you can build around players that are 30-35, especially if it's a guy that has been there for a while. Example- Joe Sakic is still a player you build around. I agree that you don't try to entirely build with guys like that, but EVERY impact player (that I can think of) on a small market team moves on upon reaching UFA age. It's tough to build when you can't keep your impact players through their prime.

Your assumption is that every team could increase ticket prices to the level required to support a $50-70M payroll that is required to be an elite team. That's where I disagree.

I don't think that elite teams will have to move "a star player or two every season". I do think that a salary cap will keep deep pocket teams from using their financial muscle to make moves that "normal" teams can't. Examples are the Av's adding a Rob Blake or the Wings from adding Derian Hatcher and Robert Lang from teams that couldn't afford to pay what someone else could. Does it make sense to anyone that the Wing's budget was based on them making the Stanley cup final's every year?

I also disagree on what rebuilding teams will do. In that situation, if I was a GM I would sign my core players to front loaded contracts to meet the minimum salary, thus leaving me more flexibility in the future. I also don't see what's wrong with rebuilding team's like the Pen's signing a solid vet like Recchi.

oildrop

Mar 3, 2002
Visit site
Leafer4Life said:
That's interesting about Linden! WAY TO GO!!!!!!! :handclap:

Indeed. Looks like guys like Linden are really pushing to get this thing settled while others are mind-warped by Goodenow and want to keep waiting and waiting for something that is never going to come there way. Kudos to Linden if infact these rumours are true.

txomisc

Mar 18, 2002
California
Visit site
King'sPawn said:
33 is old? Since when? Here are a few "old" players who will turn 33 by the end of this year (if they haven't already):

Zigmund Palffy
Roman Hamrlik
Alexei Yashin
Mike Rathje...

Just look at the 1992 draft and before. You'll find many 33 year-OLD players who are contributing just fine.

But all these damn old dogs... we should just take them to the back yard now and shoot them! They're on their last legs!
I havent looked at the other guys but Rathje turned 32 in may.

Lorenzo1000

Sep 8, 2003
Winnipeg
meeting over

news_story.asp

IdiotsPickedMyName*

Meetings over

DAMMIT i thought i might get the link up first ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad