Speculation: media?

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
do you guys think its been the toronto media all these years, why the leafs can't win a cup, always starting a controversial with leaf players, getting in there heads.:nod::)

with 22 games left, the media is starting so much about bolland, which is not true

you guys dont think it effects the players:)

rogers and bell need to smarten up some reporters on there payroll , before this team goes over the cliff again.

positive positive positive:nod::nod:

No, the Media has nothing to do with it.

It's a combination of the Suits not cheering plus Burkes impatience.

They'd have a Cup by now if Tickets were cheaper and The Blackberry had never been invented.

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
"Dave Bolland Seeking 7 or 8 year term" - thread has been up for less than 24hrs and has over 300 replies and 8400 views.

There's clearly a market for contract speculation. If you're in the business of sports reporting, you have to tap that market.

I understand that friedmeister, but that doesn't make it right

I know many more people who don't care what a player makes or how long he's signed for, it's the obsession with contracts(see money) that is disturbing. A players contribution on the ice is far more important to me then his contribution to his bank account.

The one expression in sports today that I find sickeningly vulgar is "he's gonna get paid"

Players have always gotten paid theres nothing new there, the outward fascination and expression of avarice has become a societal problem

jmart21

MISC!!!
Nov 16, 2009
All Over The Place

I know many more people who don't care what a player makes or how long he's signed for, it's the obsession with contracts(see money) that is disturbing. A players contribution on the ice is far more important to me then his contribution to his bank account.

The one expression in sports today that I find sickeningly vulgar is "he's gonna get paid"

Players have always gotten paid theres nothing new there, the outward fascination and expression of avarice has become a societal problem

Yes I understand that. But you're acting like we as fans are completely innocent here. We're the driving force. There's an insane thirst for all things insider related. Our hunger creates the market, the media feeds us.

The media can't be blamed without the fans also being blamed, it's a package deal.

robdicks

Aug 10, 2008
Welland ON

Journalists are supposed to represent then public's interest not a billion dollar corporation's interest. They have no responsibility to ensure that conversation stops. Besides, this excuse is soooooo dumb.

Case in point:

world-series.jpg

champions-2007-2008-8.jpg

Swervin81

Leaf fan | YYZ -> SEA
Nov 10, 2011
Seattle, WA
Journalists are supposed to represent then public's interest not a billion dollar corporation's interest. They have no responsibility to ensure that conversation stops. Besides, this excuse is soooooo dumb.

Case in point:

world-series.jpg

champions-2007-2008-8.jpg

EPL and MLB have no salary caps, but okay.

Swervin81

Leaf fan | YYZ -> SEA
Nov 10, 2011
Seattle, WA
Nor did the Leafs for the first 87 years of their existence.

It's been 47 years since our last cup. 10 of those have been spent in a capped league (~21%), which leaves 37 more years. Of those 37 remaining years, another 18 years were spent with extreme penny-pinching Harold Ballard, the worst owner in NHL history, as owner (~48.6% of non-capped years, ~38% total). Those years, you can't cont us us a big market. We were near the bottom in spending during his reign of terror. This leaves 19 more years. In those 19 years, we've made 4 conference finals appearances, That's once every < 5 years. To put that in perspective, post-lockout, Detroit, Pittsburgh, Chicago, Boston, San Jose, LA, Buffalo, Anaheim, Philly, and Carolina are the teams that have made at least 2 CF appearances. That's only 1/3 of the league. Given that the sample size from 1991-2004, making the CF 4 times, with 1 game 7 and a game 6, can't be completely written off. The Ballard era, you can't say we were a big market with the way the guy was a cheap *******.

Meanwhile, the Yankees and Manchester United were always big spenders, flexed their financial muscles, and never had cheap owner and salary cap stopping their spending for 28 of their last 47 years.

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
Yes I understand that. But you're acting like we as fans are completely innocent here. We're the driving force. There's an insane thirst for all things insider related. Our hunger creates the market, the media feeds us.

The media can't be blamed without the fans also being blamed, it's a package deal.

Seriously I get that, it's the goofs in the media that start playing GM

I mean really who gives a rat's ### if Dave Bolland is asking for a 7 year contract.......the news is, of course he is and his agent wouldn't be doing his job if he didn't, and in that vein it isn't really news is it?

btw in my preamble in my first post in this thread reads, to wit

I don't think that it's entirely on the media, but they probably do add a lot of unnecessary negatives

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior

Case in point:

how btw is the "public's interest" served....... speaking of dumb!

****I edited the images out becasue they were just overkill and bandwidth waste

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
Darren Dreger should never have pushed Ferguson to deal Rask for Raycroft. I think Damien Cox told Ferguson to give Jason Blake an outrageous contract as well.

jmart21

MISC!!!
Nov 16, 2009
All Over The Place
Seriously I get that, it's the goofs in the media that start playing GM

I mean really who gives a rat's ### if Dave Bolland is asking for a 7 year contract.......the news is, of course he is and his agent wouldn't be doing his job if he didn't, and in that vein it isn't really news is it?

btw in my preamble in my first post in this thread reads, to wit

The fans!

There's been 400+ replies, 10,000+ views to the Dave Bolland contract thread in less than 1.5 days.

There's clearly a market for this stuff; there's clearly a crowd of hungry people wanting to know these things (people have been asking ChuckWoods for months: "what's Dave Bolland's contract status?"). People want to know these things and the media's job is to supply the info.

It's not like we all sit here innocently while Dreger/Kyper/BobMac etc throw the hockey world off kilt with their baseless speculation.

You can't blame one party. Media and fans have to be looked at together. They are not independent of one another.

Kitchen

Sep 23, 2013
Toronto

The thing is, the length and amount of money that the players are being paid directly effects the product on the ice and thats why some people care so much. If Bolland were to get payed way too much like 6 million and have a long term, that would mean that that money could not be spent elsewhere on the team which is a big deal in a strictly enforced salary cap league, it prevents depth in the team.

that being said, it is possible to enjoy the games and not care about contracts but it is a much more casual following of the team. personally i love to think about contracts, trades, line combinations, drafts etc. it makes me feel more involved, i cant just watch the games and not think about the team until the next game is on.

and as for the comment on people saying "hes gunna get paid" its probably as a result of the players contributions on the ice, its just people getting paid for their hard work and results

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
i know, with just 22 games left the media is going to get into the players heads.
they are getting into the fans heads, we could not wait for bolland to come back, now the fans want him gone, on rumors the media are making up.:nod:

no I agree with you. my comment was more around it taking this long for someone else to post about it.

It helps explain why other teams with crazy media; like the Yankees, Red Sox, Celtics, Lakers, Man U can't win titles in their respective sports. I personally blame the media for Canada getting beat in the preliminary round of the Olympic hockey tournament to Tajikistan. If only the media had laid off them we were a shoe in for gold.

Hey listen I will catch up with you the next time we are in the Twilight Zone together. Peace.

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
The fans!

There's been 400+ replies, 10,000+ views to the Dave Bolland contract thread in less than 1.5 days.

There's clearly a market for this stuff; there's clearly a crowd of hungry people wanting to know these things (people have been asking ChuckWoods for months: "what's Dave Bolland's contract status?"). People want to know these things and the media's job is to supply the info.
It's not like we all sit here innocently while Dreger/Kyper/BobMac etc throw the hockey world off kilt with their baseless speculation.

You can't blame one party. Media and fans have to be looked at together. They are not independent of one another.

exactly "supply the info" not supply baseless speculation

and one more time I get that the fans eat this up in big sloppy mouthfuls so I understand there is a market for it

what I'm saying fried, and please read this carefully......

the endless speculation can cause a problem in the dressing room, these are real people with real feelings not some HD images in a computer game

Last edited:

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
The thing is, the length and amount of money that the players are being paid directly effects the product on the ice and thats why some people care so much. If Bolland were to get payed way too much like 6 million and have a long term, that would mean that that money could not be spent elsewhere on the team which is a big deal in a strictly enforced salary cap league, it prevents depth in the team.

Thanks for the illumination but relatively speaking there is nothing you or I can do about it so why get freaked out over it. The whole point here is that the remuneration is between the team and the player, in fact it's no different that my earnings and net worth are really none of your business, nor is your's mine.

that being said, it is possible to enjoy the games and not care about contracts but it is a much more casual following of the team. personally i love to think about contracts, trades, line combinations, drafts etc. it makes me feel more involved, i cant just watch the games and not think about the team until the next game is on.

I do all that, just like every other fan except the contracts/money part. Frankly it's none of my business and I could care less about that aspect of the sport

and as for the comment on people saying "hes gunna get paid" its probably as a result of the players contributions on the ice, its just people getting paid for their hard work and results

missed the point entirely

robdicks

Aug 10, 2008
Welland ON
EPL and MLB have no salary caps, but okay.

If you think that the it's been the media that's been keeping the Leafs from winning a cup since 2004, then there's really no point in arguing. There's no way that any team since 2004 has had the pieces to truly contend.

robdicks

Aug 10, 2008
Welland ON
how btw is the "public's interest" served....... speaking of dumb!

****I edited the images out becasue they were just overkill and bandwidth waste

Because as you can see from looking at this board, people like to talk Leafs hockey. Positively, Negatively, and everywhere. The media's job is to report these things.

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
no I agree with you. my comment was more around it taking this long for someone else to post about it.

It helps explain why other teams with crazy media; like the Yankees, Red Sox, Celtics, Lakers, Man U can't win titles in their respective sports. I personally blame the media for Canada getting beat in the preliminary round of the Olympic hockey tournament to Tajikistan. If only the media had laid off them we were a shoe in for gold.

Hey listen I will catch up with you the next time we are in the Twilight Zone together. Peace.

i follow baseball pretty closely and have since the mid 1960's, and I really don't see endless speculation on what a player could or might be asking for in his next contract, I do see reportage however once contracts are signed. I can't say anything about hoops or soccer as I know nothing about them and could care less

were talking hockey here, while those other things are pro sports they are not remotely the same

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
Because as you can see from looking at this board, people like to talk Leafs hockey. Positively, Negatively, and everywhere. The media's job is to report these things.

and what interest does it serve to write

"reports indicate that player x may possibly be asking for a max max contract"

robdicks

Aug 10, 2008
Welland ON
i follow baseball pretty closely and have since the mid 1960's, and I really don't see endless speculation on what a player could or might be asking for in his next contract, I do see reportage however once contracts are signed. I can't say anything about hoops or soccer as I know nothing about them and could care less

were talking hockey here, while those other things are pro sports they are not remotely the same

You're right. Baseball is more of a mental game, so trade speculation and contract speculation would be even more damaging. And you must not follow baseball ALL that closely because even the Jays fans and media speculate on trades, contract signings, and the like. The Yankees do the same but with a 1000X magnifying glass.

robdicks

Aug 10, 2008
Welland ON
and what interest does it serve to write

"reports indicate that player x may possibly be asking for a max max contract"

The public's entertainment. Even if you disagree that the public should be able to know that, it happens in every sport. Therefore, it is not a Leaf exclusive problem.

jmart21

MISC!!!
Nov 16, 2009
All Over The Place
exactly "supply the info" not supply baseless speculation

and one more time I get that the fans eat this up in big sloppy mouthfuls so I understand there is a market for it

what I'm saying fried, and please read this carefully......

the endless speculation can cause a problem in the dressing room, these are real people with real feelings not some HD images in a computer game

Yes, and this is something both fans and media are feeding. Not just one.

Also, why do you keep calling me fried?

Kitchen

Sep 23, 2013
Toronto
Thanks for the illumination but relatively speaking there is nothing you or I can do about it so why get freaked out over it. The whole point here is that the remuneration is between the team and the player, in fact it's no different that my earnings and net worth are really none of your business, nor is your's mine

you're right, we as fans cant do anything about the contracts but there is nothing we can do about line combo's, trades etc. either. but that doesn't stop us from think about all of those things and comparing our thoughts to what the team is actually doing. the only thing we can do is choose if we want to buy their product or not. HFboards would be pretty boring if all we talked about was things we had some sort of control over.

i guess hearing about their contract talks is an invasion of their privacy, its easy for me to forget that hockey isnt its own little world especially because i cant afford to go to the games. i probably shouldnt care if i think its an invasion of privacy but its difficult to ignore. im not sure how some of the rumors get leaked about their contracts, it may be their agents or it may be someone on the teams side or maybe some are completely baseless, reporters making things up/being misinformed.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad