Media Battle: Canucks Province beat writer Jason Botchford vs Dan Russell of CKNW

TheDiver*

Tonight, two local media guys who cover the Canucks, Dan Russell and Jason Botchford from two rival radio stations went at it online on Twitter...

So apparently it all starts when some guy tells Botchford that Russell blocked him, then Botchford tweets this word to Russell because of this..."Puss."

Then Botchford mentions Russell in another tweet where he says Russell wanted to be the play-by-play guy for the Canucks.

Then the "war" started:

Sportstalk
Happy night for @botchford?? CBA imminent and so too is a return to his house radio homerism, while also representing newspaper?

Jason Botchford

@DanRussellCKNW yes, I'm a homer Dan. You caught me. I love the Canucks. Love Av. Love bowness. Love booth. Love presidents trophies.

Then they continued...

Sportstalk‏@DanRussellCKNW

@botchford Perhaps tonight you like scotch as well???

Jason Botchford‏@botchford

@DanRussellCKNW geeze Dan, a whole 20 minuts you've focused on the nhl and not the whl. Must be a record.

Then Botchford says to a fan that Pratt is more listened to than Russell.

Then Botch says...

@danrussellcknw caman, give me a real opponent like Pratt.

Then Russell clarified...

For the record Botch's still upset cuz he was called out when he ripped BC native and future HOF @Markrecchi8, for confirming what most knew...

... Turns out he was listening to CKNW, because the next day he was whining all over my voicemail about my editorial.

Anyone know what Dan was referring to????

@DanRussellCKNW glad to see your listening to 1040.

‏@DanRussellCKNW

@botchford @gr8save27 Someone had to during this lockout. LOL.

@botchford @gr8save27 That's a good point, because I sure heard about how R Ferraro put you in your place a few mths back.

@DanRussellCKNW I think the coach should be fired but I'm the homer #k.

@botchford Really 15 wins from Cup in tight window of opp after few yrs and one good run, and thats your non-homer claim to fame? #congrats

@DanRussellCKNW that means something coming from the guy who spent years tongue bathing Brian Burke. #thanks

BEST LINE OF THE EXCHANGE!

Then they concluded with this exchange...

Not sure how daring it was for @botchford to advocate AV firing, given @tg_gman had done so 50 times prior.

@DanRussellCKNW @tg_gman what do you advocate Dan? Who should be fired, Dan? Who should be hired, Dan? You're so relevant, please spill, dan

So Russell then added his last word..

@botchford I'll end this, because thats enough. Funny how many times u used to say how much you enjoyed listening AND being on MY show.

@DanRussellCKNW right. More like: funny how many times i was on for free, then you changed your tune When I was getting paid by someone else

Botchford then called CKNW irrelevant.

:laugh:

Crows*

Dan Russell is a joke. His blatant and random attack on twitter of Nik Costinika last month was a joke.

Sergei Shirokov

Jul 27, 2012
British Columbia
Finally someone ripped into that Botchford.

Runs his mouth with no idea of what is going on, he has been belittling Luongo and our managment decisions for too long.

n00bxQb

Jul 26, 2010
Finally someone ripped into that Botchford.

Runs his mouth with no idea of what is going on, he has been belittling Luongo and our managment decisions for too long.
He got ripped by someone who rips Luongo and our management decisions even more than he does ...

Free Edler

Enjoy retirement, boys.
Feb 27, 2002
Surrey, BC
Botchford - and it'll be a cold day in hell before I defend him on anything else - was right about one thing: CKNW is irrelevant. It's become the whiny old man station. Not one of their hosts - maybe Simi Sara? - is under the age of 50. The only purpose Russell's show serves is for fans of out-of-town teams.

Reverend Mayhem

Lowly Serf/Reluctant Cuckold
Feb 15, 2009
Port Coquitlam, BC
Botchford - and it'll be a cold day in hell before I defend him on anything else - was right about one thing: CKNW is irrelevant. It's become the whiny old man station. Not one of their hosts - maybe Simi Sara? - is under the age of 50. The only purpose Russell's show serves is for fans of out-of-town teams.

Hey now - CKNW has Coast to Coast on at 1am...and that's when I listen to it. :laugh:

John Bender*

Dan Russell has been terrible for years. He can't let his issues with the Burke era team go. He is also incredibly choked he never got the Jim Robson job.

His show used to be the best around, but then it just became a soapbox for him to run down the team for anything and everything. He calls 1040 a bunch of cheerleaders, but they are more reflective of what fans want and think. They can also be fairly critical when it's called for.

Russell's show is only about the Vancouver Giants now anyway......and I have no interest in that. I think Russell should just retire.......or get some counselling and a prescription for Lithium, and let the past go.

John Bender*

......also, if you look at the twitter thread.........Russell attacked Botchford. I am no Botchford fan or supporter, but he is fairly innocent here.

Proto

Jan 30, 2010
It was mostly silly, but Botchford's digs about Russell ignoring the WHL for 20 minutes and tongue bathing Burke were awesome. The pathetic Russell/Burke saga is one of my favourite "Dan Russell is an idiot" moments in Vancouver sports media. Russell's immature reaction for being passed over for the play-by-play gig -- anyone that's heard him call a game can understand why -- was pathetic.

And Dan Russell calling anything "house radio" is remarkably funny, given his prior relationship with the Canucks on CKNW.

Barney Gumble

Jan 2, 2007
Old Dan Russell (before he became an old bitter man):

Botchord 'couldn't carry his jockstrap'.

Current Dan Russell (as in the past decade+):

Couldnt carry old Dan Russell's jockstrap.

moog35

Jul 25, 2007
dear god what a joke, both of these guys are brutal. Russell is old and bitter and Botchford just thinks hes mr wonderful. I can't stand him on studs and duds, he just thinks he is so funny. It sure seams like Botchford is ticking a lot of people off lately

craigcaulks*

Old Dan Russell (before he became an old bitter man):

Botchord 'couldn't carry his jockstrap'.

Current Dan Russell (as in the past decade+):

Couldnt carry old Dan Russell's jockstrap.

I was sure you were going with: "Doesn't need a jockstrap".

YouCantYandleThis*

I hate Dan Russel but I at least a little bit respect how long he's been in the business, and how he used to be one of the few radio journalists around calling the Canucks out (who back then had alot to be called out on) on their ********.

Jason Botchford..Jason. ****ing. Botchford. This guy manages to come off as a cross between a petulant 14 year boy, and a screaming 13 year old girl, which is damn impressive considering he looks like he's about 3 and a half. His opinions are basically regurgitations of whatever he hears/reads/see's around the news world, and I've never heard or read anything remotely intelligible come out of his mouth. Such a joke that he's paid to do what he does.

The only reason he's on TSN, is he fits in with the DERP attitude that has plagued that network of recent years, I'm getting tired of this uninformed, opinion-flopping, unintelligent ********* all over the hockey airwaves in Vancouver.

There. Im done.

Royal Canuck

Taco Enthusiast
Feb 10, 2011
Victoria, BC
I hate Dan Russel but I at least a little bit respect how long he's been in the business, and how he used to be one of the few radio journalists around calling the Canucks out (who back then had alot to be called out on) on their ********.

Jason Botchford..Jason. ****ing. Botchford. This guy manages to come off as a cross between a petulant 14 year boy, and a screaming 13 year old girl, which is damn impressive considering he looks like he's about 3 and a half. His opinions are basically regurgitations of whatever he hears/reads/see's around the news world, and I've never heard or read anything remotely intelligible come out of his mouth. Such a joke that he's paid to do what he does.

The only reason he's on TSN, is he fits in with the DERP attitude that has plagued that network of recent years, I'm getting tired of this uninformed, opinion-flopping, unintelligent ********* all over the hockey airwaves in Vancouver.

There. Im done.

I put TSN over SN anyday, I feel that TSN has better analysts and coverage besides Canucks games. TSN has Dreger, McKenzie, Duthie, Miller, Dutchy, all those guys have been around for years and are great at what they do.

Whenever I tune into Sportsnet it's just Kypreos and McLean *****ing at eachother over some stupid argument that isn't even relevant to what they're talking about. The only reason I watch SN is for Canuck games and Blue Jays games, nothing else.

KahunaBaby

Oct 31, 2011
Whalley, B.C.
IDK...if i was Dan Russell i would go a little easy on Botch. Russell doesn't have that many listeners left and he might want to hang on to the few he has. As a matter of fact he should thank Botch for making him relevant again, even if it's just for a few minutes.

I don't mind Jason Botchford that much although his game has gone down hill the last couple of years.

As for Dan Russell i still can't believe he is still around. I figured Burke would have given him a job as chief butt kisser when he went to the Leafs. Unfortunately for the Vancouver listeners the job was probably filled by that moron Jeff Blair.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad