Media Battle: Canucks Province beat writer Jason Botchford vs Dan Russell of CKNW

YouCantYandleThis*

I put TSN over SN anyday, I feel that TSN has better analysts and coverage besides Canucks games. TSN has Dreger, McKenzie, Duthie, Miller, Dutchy, all those guys have been around for years and are great at what they do.

Whenever I tune into Sportsnet it's just Kypreos and McLean *****ing at eachother over some stupid argument that isn't even relevant to what they're talking about. The only reason I watch SN is for Canuck games and Blue Jays games, nothing else.

Don't worry i hate SN too. I read/watch the sports news and make my own educated opinions.

Works out pretty well for me so far.

moog35

Jul 25, 2007
Russell should have sent a chirp regarding Gaborik buying a house in Vancouver :laugh:

TheDiver*

Russell should have sent a chirp regarding Gaborik buying a house in Vancouver :laugh:

That would have been epic.

Botch could have mentioned Dan Russell losing Canuck broadcasting jobs to Darcy Rota and John Shorthouse though.

Catamarca Livin

Jul 29, 2010
Dan Russell has been terrible for years. He can't let his issues with the Burke era team go. He is also incredibly choked he never got the Jim Robson job.

His show used to be the best around, but then it just became a soapbox for him to run down the team for anything and everything. He calls 1040 a bunch of cheerleaders, but they are more reflective of what fans want and think. They can also be fairly critical when it's called for.

Russell's show is only about the Vancouver Giants now anyway......and I have no interest in that. I think Russell should just retire.......or get some counselling and a prescription for Lithium, and let the past go.

Grew up listening to a great show!! Now NHL hockey is an afterthought for the show. Being critical of the home team is fine, but when they have won their division 4 years in a row 2 presidents trophy isn't a bit hard to be very critical of the manager? He goes through the drafting a Gillis etc.. Until the Canucks lose and Gillis drafting is proven to be terrible Russel sound very bias and bitter.

Lonny Bohonos

Apr 4, 2010
Middle East
Dans always been an idiot, but for a long time he was the only game in town. He really went down hill some 15 years ago. Think he went through some personal problems and came off even more bitter.

Botchford is the definition of an idiot.

Knows zip about hockey. Like Gallagher his bread and butter is the "inside scoop". Hes not bad at it. Funny thing is when i started to listen to him on 1040 i though he reminded me of gallagher. When i started to pay attention more i noticed he was parroting a lot of what gallagher was writing.

Seemd like he realized he was a fish out of water as hes not a hockey guy and took the only route he could come across as knowledgeable in. Too bad TG had that spot already. But Kudos to him.

This exchange can only really hurt Botchford as hes young and still trying to make a mark, in a time with much more options and competition for listeners.

Dan is long been irrelevant.

And really Botchfords on TSN now? In what capacity?

sexydonut

May 12, 2009
2 useless hacks. Dan Russell is a mean spirited, bitter hack now. When CKNW and the Canucks were incestuously close, he was the Canuck management's #1 shill. He stutters and he's not even clear!

Botchford is just an idiot. He (and numerous other 1040 hosts) is a Canuck management apologist. The guy doesn't know anything, and can't write at even a high school level.

As an aside, Team1040 really has to get rid of some Fox sports filler programming. They're the US version of bad shock jocks.

Nuck Bonino

May 10, 2011
Dan isnt bad when hes not talking Canucks. Botchford, on the other hand, is hopeless.

Crows*

Dan Russell called in to Dave Sheldon's CKNW Sunday show right now ripping media , Jason botchford etc.

He's desperate. Has Pratt breathing down his neck while cknws ratings tank.

Free Edler

Enjoy retirement, boys.
Feb 27, 2002
Surrey, BC
But you guyzzzzz, Dan Russell has the longest-running talkshow in Western Canada sports radio.. as long as you conveniently forget the first time he was fired. Dan does.

DustyMartellaughs

Flashing the leather.
Jun 12, 2009
Dawson Creek, BC
Dan Russell has a face and voice made for print, and Botchford should be delivering newspapers, not writing for them.
Russell is so transparent in his lasting butthurt over being rejected for the Canucks gig, and Botchford is so transparent in his zeal to be a celebrity.
Both are pathetic.

stickside

Oct 6, 2007
i'm enjoying watching botchford burn some bridges and show unprofessionalism. burning the bridge with russell isn't that big of a deal, but burning it with the radio station is.

i used to enjoy botchford. he brought a freshness and had some pretty good turns of phrase occasionally. not anymore, those days are gone.

hey botch, learn a lesson or two from one of the greats....iain macintyre is how it's done.

Nuck Bonino

May 10, 2011
i'm enjoying watching botchford burn some bridges and show unprofessionalism. burning the bridge with russell isn't that big of a deal, but burning it with the radio station is.

i used to enjoy botchford. he brought a freshness and had some pretty good turns of phrase occasionally. not anymore, those days are gone.

hey botch, learn a lesson or two from one of the greats....iain macintyre is how it's done.

Yeah gotta agree, the 10-11pm hour with ian mac is the only reason I listen to Sportstalk.

KDizzle

Aug 25, 2005
Bay Area
I was okay with Botchford, but then I started to follow him on Twitter and found out how annoying he was.

Russell, I have no idea, I don't listen to Vancouver sports radio.

LiquidSnake

Jun 10, 2011
Vancouver, BC

Ian Mac is such a ****in clown as well. No knowledge of anything that isn't spoon fed to him

Crows*

Really the entire vancoybet sports landscape blows. No insiders , just a bunch of old hacks.

Co Ho*

They're both huge tools.
Seriously, this makes sports journalism look like the biggest joke. I can't believe these people are considered professionals, most HF Boards posters are more mature than this.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->