Olympics: medal predictions now that group stage is over

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
This team Canada has been together relatively short period. Finland's first line for example they have used in the Euro Hockey Tour. It's typical for Canada to get better as the tournament proceeds, just like last spring when they won the Worlds despite being close of getting eliminated in the group phase.
I agree. I thought we played well against the U.S. after the first period but we need to finish - if we can't score, we won't be winning anything. I believe the team will benefit from the extra game and, hopefully, excel during the playoffs.

I look forward to enjoying some fun, stress free hockey.

Hasa92

Aug 4, 2012
Finland
This can’t happen. Finland and Switzerland would play each other in the QF if the Swiss beat the Czechs.
Yeah I realized this now that I've actually seen the brackets.

New prediction:

Gold Finland
Silver USA
Bronze Russia

However I could also see Denmark/ Latvia pull off an upset against Russia (especially Denmark). And giving them a change for the bronze medal.

Reactions: Eye of Ra

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
What a baseless exaggeration. Sweden dominated Finland exactly for one period – the second one. Rather understandably given that Sweden played the entire period on power play.

Sweden where better than Finland in the first period aswell. And no it was not only becuse of PP, Sweden where better than Finland in 5 vs 5

Reactions: degustator and bert

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
It's between Russia and Finland really.
I dont know how anyone can come to this conculsion yet. Most teams havent even played one another, on paper they really arent any better than other teams. Sweden Finland just went to o.t. Look at it this way Odell is canadas fourth line center but one of the best players in the KHL...

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
I dont know how anyone can come to this conculsion yet. Most teams havent even played one another, on paper they really arent any better than other teams. Sweden Finland just went to o.t. Look at it this way Odell is canadas fourth line center but one of the best players in the KHL...
People see what they want to see.

Vinther

Feb 28, 2016
Not sure how Denmark managed that win, despite also winning on shots it was the worst game so far. But happy about the win. Hope we can play better nect game

IceHockeyDude

May 15, 2011
Suomi
Sweden dominated Finland for 50 min.

People are sleeping on Sweden and Switzerland.

Hahaha, I just had to check the stats. Sweden shot 30 times and Finland 27, despite Finland taking 37 minutes of penalties. I don't see how anyone with a sane mind can call that dominating. Just get over the Swedish melt down bro.

Reactions: Lambo

Puck Dogg

Puck life
Mar 13, 2006
If Russia is in the semi's and loses I'd say the bronze is up for grabs.

The loss will be such an hard pill to swallow that it'll impact the bronze game.

teravaineSAROS

Jul 29, 2015

I know they haven't played eachother, my answer was solely about which teams are considered the best on paper. Doesn't have to mean anything in the tournament itself.

SeaChaser

Mar 10, 2021
Tampa
All I can say is Team USA has shocked me. I'm proud of what they have done so far, but from here on out, it is a new day. I hope they can keep it up, but would not be surprised if they miss a medal round. Go Team USA.

Reactions: ORRFForever

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
Hahaha, I just had to check the stats. Sweden shot 30 times and Finland 27, despite Finland taking 37 minutes of penalties. I don't see how anyone with a sane mind can call that dominating. Just get over the Swedish melt down bro.

correct me if im wrong, but many of those shots from finland came in the 3rd period.

i think playing wise sweden was better than finland first 2 periods in 5 vs 5. saying we dominated finland was a bit too much, i agree.

i laughed at komarov in this game, he was trolling all game long. nice to see the old gritty komarov again.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
All I can say is Team USA has shocked me. I'm proud of what they have done so far, but from here on out, it is a new day. I hope they can keep it up, but would not be surprised if they miss a medal round. Go Team USA.
You called it.

karhukissa

Apr 2, 2019
Sweden where better than Finland in the first period aswell. And no it was not only becuse of PP, Sweden where better than Finland in 5 vs 5
Dominating in hockey means that you control the puck, you have more scoring chances etc.

Sweden scores zero 5 on 5 goals and they got maybe two dangerous scoring chances. Sweden didn't dominate.

Third period was Finland show. And when Finland really started to play, that was dominating because Swedes collapsed like a domino.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
USA and Finland have looked strongest so far imo. USA is a suprise for me. Finland is living up to expectations. the other favorite, russia, has not looked good.

gold: finland
silver: usa
bronze: no idea
That did not age well:laugh:

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
Dominating in hockey means that you control the puck, you have more scoring chances etc.

Sweden scores zero 5 on 5 goals and they got maybe two dangerous scoring chances. Sweden didn't dominate.

Third period was Finland show. And when Finland really started to play, that was dominating because Swedes collapsed like a domino.
Please allow other nations to use the usual canadian excuse/narrative. Win or lose they DOMINATE the game.:sarcasm:

Reactions: karhukissa

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
I have a feeling USA is going to take the gold. So far they had perfect record and they have not really been close to loosing so far. The NHL sized rink also favours the youth. I wonder if USA were to win the gold, would that trigger Disney to make sequel to 2004 film starring Kurt Russell? :D

That said, i don't remember ever the top 4 teams being this close to each other. So it's between Canada/USA/Sweden/Finland.
Another post that did not age well. So much for the educated predictions here.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad