Olympics: medal predictions now that group stage is over

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
USA and Finland have looked strongest so far imo. USA is a suprise for me. Finland is living up to expectations. the other favorite, russia, has not looked good.

gold: finland
silver: usa
bronze: no idea

Reactions: kendoman

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
To get to semi Americans have to beat Slovakia or Germany. Not the touphest task on paper, but everything is possible in playoffs. Russia will play either with Denmark or Latvia. It's the same as above. And then Finns will get Czhech or Swiss, and Swedes aren't lucky to play vs Canada. Canada probably would have prefered someone easier too, but you can't get to semi without any tough games at all, and Swedes/Canadians get what they deserve for their preliminary results.

Then predictions... I personally almost don't care about the tournament, and it is the whole terra incognita to me, so I won't even try.

TheGreatOne11

Jun 29, 2009
Toronto
Gold: Canada
Silver: Finland
Bronze: USA

Canada hasn't looked particularly well, but when it's on the line they have a way of beating expectations. Which is rare for those expectations to not be gold but it was Russia's to lose according to everybody going in, and Finland has looked as well as anticipated.

Reactions: Angry Little Elf

lawrence

May 19, 2012
Can someone tell me which team is strongest on paper

If we are measuring bases in combined nhl games team Canada would actually be the strongest. Although question marks because our goalies lack professional experience.
so Canadian goaltending is not that great compared to others.

roc has high considerations because that team is made up of players from 2nd best league on the planet.

But I like Canada position though. We can go in as an underdog.

Reactions: Czechboy

Keduzin

May 5, 2009
Finland has been playing like crap so far in the tournament. Massive dissapointment compared to the expectations. Although they have won their games so far there is a lot of concerns in how they play. As much as I appreciate Jalonen as a coach it seems like his style of hockey is not a good fit to the smaller rink size. They do have/might have the strongest roster on paper but their performances so far has not lived up to that, far from it. But there is still time to get their shit together and IF they do, they should win.

IceHockeyDude

May 15, 2011
Suomi
The differences are not that big among the remaining teams. Especially when we know which ones advance on the quarter-finals. This means there are several teams that could to win any of the medals. All of the so called favourites could end up without a medal.

Reactions: Czechboy

karhukissa

Apr 2, 2019
Gold medalist comes from ROC/FI bracket. Winner of semifinal game ROC/FI or CZE takes gold (sorry Switzerland)

karhukissa

Apr 2, 2019
Finland has been playing like crap so far in the tournament. Massive dissapointment compared to the expectations. Although they have won their games so far there is a lot of concerns in how they play. As much as I appreciate Jalonen as a coach it seems like his style of hockey is not a good fit to the smaller rink size. They do have/might have the strongest roster on paper but their performances so far has not lived up to that, far from it. But there is still time to get their shit together and IF they do, they should win.
Watch those games please sir with some analytic eye. Finland has done the needed, and all of the opponents has played NHL 4th line grind hockey. Finland has played like crap for 1 and half period.

Things will change against teams with individual skill like Czech, Russia or Canada. These teams also will play with compose and puck control, it'll be a battle of the skill instead or rushing like a headless chicken.

Russia is the favourite for the gold.

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden
Under Jalonen games do look like this, but they are won.

If anything, his style of time management is well suited for the small ice. Maybe even better so. Some players have not had luck in putting the puck in, but the game plan is working.

Lartsaman

Aug 2, 2018
Finland
As much I would want to see Finland win this whole tournament, I have doubts... Every time we have won WC gold(which is not many), we have lost at least one game at the tournament. Now we don´t have that opportunity anymore, every game must be won from now on. I´m a bit superstitious, I have to admit.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
As much I would want to see Finland win this whole tournament, I have doubts... Every time we have won WC gold(which is not many), we have lost at least one game at the tournament. Now we don´t have that opportunity anymore, every game must be won from now on. I´m a bit superstitious, I have to admit.
I agree with the notion.. It's why I like Canada's chances. An early loss isn't always a bad thing! Just like how Russia lost to Slovakia last time in game 1 and went on to gold.

This is not to say I don't think FInland can't go undefeated and win gold of course, I think they could do it. The Russian loss in a crazy game might also make them better in a weird way.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad