Olympics: medal predictions now that group stage is over

Tmu84

- Tmuussoni
Feb 2, 2011
Funland
I have a feeling USA is going to take the gold. So far they had perfect record and they have not really been close to loosing so far. The NHL sized rink also favours the youth. I wonder if USA were to win the gold, would that trigger Disney to make sequel to 2004 film starring Kurt Russell? :D

That said, i don't remember ever the top 4 teams being this close to each other. So it's between Canada/USA/Sweden/Finland.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Can someone explain why Canada is playing China again in a "qualifying game"
We did not finish in the top 4 so we need to qualify by winning an extra game. It's no big deal and likely the equivalent of a stressful practice. Hopefully the game will help the team gel.

garbageteam

Jan 7, 2010
We did not finish in the top 4 so we need to qualify by winning an extra game. It's no big deal and likely the equivalent of a stressful practice. Hopefully the game will help the team gel.

It's honestly a perk at this stage. Shouldn't result really in any injuries or additional fatigue but gives the players who barely know each other another chance to play in a meaningful, if not competitive, game.

Urbanskog

Platinum Member
Feb 8, 2014
Helsinki
It's honestly a perk at this stage. Shouldn't result really in any injuries or additional fatigue but gives the players who barely know each other another chance to play in a meaningful, if not competitive, game.
What assurance is there that no player gets injured?

Urbanskog

Platinum Member
Feb 8, 2014
Helsinki
Okay, but he never said what you implied.
He said that it shouldn't result in injuries, but the risk of being injured in the game in question does not seem significantly lower than in your average hockey game. That's the point. Each game constitutes an injury risk, it's not a matter of "should" or "shouldn't". In pure exhibition games the risk can obviously be lower, but this isn't one of those.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
He said that it shouldn't result in injuries, but the risk of being injured in the game in question does not seem significantly lower than in your average hockey game. That's the point. Each game constitutes an injury risk, it's not a matter of "should" or "shouldn't". In pure exhibition games the risk can obviously be lower, but this isn't one of those.
You read into, and responded to, something he did not say. Anyway, we are going in circles and he can fight his own battles.

Last edited:

IceNeophyte

Nov 14, 2017
I'll go Finland Gold, USA Silver, ROC Bronze. The entire nation of Canada relives the Biblical Flood with salty tears.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
I think Russia and USA seem like likely candidates. Russia just hasn’t clicked like I thought they would before the games began. And USA has that young roster, maybe a bit more vulnerable and I wasn’t exactly convinced with their win over Germany.
That's fair. Hopefully we will get some good games.

Puck Dogg

Puck life
Mar 13, 2006
canada have not looked good so far. not sure why eveyone have them in top 3.

This team Canada has been together relatively short period. Finland's first line for example they have used in the Euro Hockey Tour. It's typical for Canada to get better as the tournament proceeds, just like last spring when they won the Worlds despite being close of getting eliminated in the group phase.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad