Confirmed with Link: Mears and Errey fired

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
Does anyone really listen to radio broadcasts anymore? Hockey is godawful on the radio. Replace it with AI bots for all I care.

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Vancouver, British Columbia
Does anyone really listen to radio broadcasts anymore? Hockey is godawful on the radio. Replace it with AI bots for all I care.
I would if it was synced with the streams I watch, but they're not even close usually.
I like Getzoff + Bourque a lot. And as much as I like Errey, I really don't like Mears. Plus it's refreshing to have alternatives once in a while. It's a long season. A lotta games.

Still Apps

The New Gig
Jan 10, 2012
Home
Glad Getzoff will be taking over pbp. Even more glad that Errey won't be taking up the air in the booth beside him.

Reactions: Andy99

Deport Ogie

Jun 30, 2014
Suburbia
Hallelujah! Potash is eccentric but the guys seem to like him. At least him and Colby have energy.

Potash seems to have some weird rapport with the team that I don't know exists with a lot of journos in his position. I think it's mostly that he is quite happy to take all of their shit about what a goofball he is while he continues to up his goof game. Somehow it's lead to a great spot.

TNT87

Jun 23, 2010
PA
I didn't have a strong opinion on Mears. I did enjoy Errey. All the best to them.

LeBron James will now take over for both play by play and analyst.

Reactions: Headshot77

Victor Z

Trade me right f**king now!
Sponsor
Apr 10, 2018
The Burgh
Errey was often a clown but if it's a choice between him and Bourque, Errey wins hands down and nobody whose ears have been inflicted upon by Bourque over the years would say otherwise. His bogus "I tell it like it is" schtick may fool the simpletons, but that's about it.

IF Getzoff is any better than Mears, it's by about 0.00001%. Getzoff sucks ass too.

Can we please get somebody to create an AI version of Mike Lange's voice and talent to do play-by-play?

Of course nobody could follow Lange and not be diminished by comparison to him, but did the Pens truly need to scrape the bottom of the barrel?

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
Anyhow, given the state of modern sports, I fully expect the broadcasts to lack any discernible style or color going forward.

If I had the choice between live hockey radio and anything else, give me the latter. But tastes vary.
I dunno, there's a real pleasure to listening to the game on the way to work or while I'm doing something that I have to visually pay attention to, like cooking or writing emails.

Broadcasting, like sports journalism, is mostly bad because the consumer will consume literally the worst quality of it and clap for more, so there's no incentive to get actual good pbp and color guys anymore when you can just get somebody's cousin with a communications degree and an ex-player with CTE to do it for half the price.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
I thought Mears was alright and I definitely liked Errey.

If it's Getzoff/Bourque that seems fine. I wonder if Bourque would tone himself down at all on tv. He can be extremely negative sometimes. He's what I would call brutally honest. Not necessarily a bad thing, but I could see him getting in trouble on TV for that.

Yes, when I'm going somewhere and not in front of the tv. I have very good memories of driving home from beer league hockey games and hearing Mike Lange call Pens playoff games on the radio.

Reactions: HandshakeLine

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
I will say if it ends up being Getzoff + Colby I hope they have Bourque in there too. I don't think Colby is ready to be a full time color guy. A bit too scatterbrained for it imo. He's fine as a third guy who chimes in occasionally with something humorous, but I'd not be a big fan of him as the guy.

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Vancouver, British Columbia
I will say if it ends up being Getzoff + Colby I hope they have Bourque in there too. I don't think Colby is ready to be a full time color guy. A bit too scatterbrained for it imo. He's fine as a third guy who chimes in occasionally with something humorous, but I'd not be a big fan of him as the guy.
This is spot on. "Scatterbrained" is a perfect word for Colby.

Reactions: Pancakes

Solution

May 20, 2010
Cheswick, PA
Actually I find the play by play guy for the WBS Penguins, Nick Hart, and Wheeling Nailers, D J Abisalih, to be entertaining. Maybe a promotion for them.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
If Bourque is known for being ‘extremely negative’ I’m surprised he’s not more well liked around here.
A lot of people around here probably don't listen to radio that often would be my guess. But yes, if you have ever listened to the ole 29er you will know that he can get pretty negative sometimes when the Pens look like crap. He doesn't hide it.

I could see that getting him into trouble on TV.

WickedWrister

Jul 25, 2008
Philadelphia
This is spot on. "Scatterbrained" is a perfect word for Colby.
I think Colby could handle color duties. Errey was not exactly measured in his words lol.

He'd probably be perfect for that third man between the benches role, sort of like what he was doing on some broadcasts last year?

Played with our big 3, knows their personalities and what would get a good soundbite out of them.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad