Confirmed with Link: Mears and Errey fired

WickedWrister

Jul 25, 2008
Philadelphia
Errey confirmed his departure Friday, and issued the following statement:

Dear Pittsburgh Penguin Fans,

It is with a heavy heart that I share this with you. I received an unexpected call yesterday informing me that I would not be returning as Pittsburgh Penguins TV analyst this coming season.

My journey began in 1983 as a wide-eyed teenager, with no idea of what to expect on the ice or in this city of Pittsburgh. It took time, but with determined players and passionate fans, we achieved the dream of bringing the Cup to Pittsburgh

After my playing days, as luck would have it, I took the radio position. My family dug our roots into the community and into youth hockey. We loved The Burgh and me, my job.

I was fortunate to work with Paul Steigerwald, who lives and breathes hockey, who helped me get better every day. I was willing to learn.

With the arrival of Sidney Crosby, I moved to the TV booth with Hall of Famer Mike Lange. I was as excited and nervous probably as you guys were. Both to work with Mike and to watch Sid do his thing. Wow! Very fortunate.

My last six years in the booth with Steve Mears have been equally as rewarding. What a pro. Tremendous talent.

I would be remiss if I didn’t mention our friend Dan Potash for our laughs and his connection with the players. Truly one of a kind.

I have nothing but the the utmost respect and love for my former colleagues and friends that I have worked with for the past 22 years!

You the fans have consistently tuned in and made us the number 1 local broadcast in the league every year. Incredible really

I loved my nights in Pittsburgh and in the booth. I will cherish the many incredible moments this seat has given me. It had brought me a special joy and excitement and I hope it did for you as well.

I am not sure where my travels will take me next, but I look forward to the next chapter and will put as much energy and effort into it as I have here. And if you see me in this great city make sure to stop me and say hello!

Thank you again.

It’s been my pleasure,
Bob Errey

BillyOcean

Jan 2, 2015
Yohe pretty big on reporting this. Makes sense, he probably is friends with these people and actually has their numbers! He'd be THE insider of media member transaction! Too bad that's not his job description! We all know he's terrible at that!

Reactions: SirBrad

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
I'll miss Errey. Hope he finds a good gig somewhere.

@DesertedPenguin
That Twitter rumor about letting them go was right
I think he will. He's a very knowledgable color guy with lots of experience.

It's sort of the end of an era which I'm more sad about. I miss the days when the broadcasts were local color. Getzoff and Mears are just complete aural oatmeal. Bourque, on the other hand, is just bad at his job.

FlightlessBird

Nov 5, 2005
Pittsburgh
I've only listened to the radio a handful of times the last several years. Getzoff is alright. Honestly probably similar to Mears in that he does the job well, but is just kind of boring. I didn't particularly like Bourque. Would much rather have Colby in that role.
I think you’ll be surprised with Getzoff. I 100% agree that he was very boring when he first started doing pbp, and yes, very similar to Mears. But he’s really come into his own the last couple years. To me, his calls don’t sound forced and he conveys excitement when appropriate.

Mears started trying to force “unique” calls into his game, where he’d yell “HE SCORES! HE SCORES! HE SCORES!” for a random 2nd period goal in a game in mid-November. It’s fine to try something new, but it wasn’t….him. And it just sounded cringey.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
I think he will. He's a very knowledgable color guy with lots of experience.

It's sort of the end of an era which I'm more sad about. I miss the days when the broadcasts were local color. Getzoff and Mears are just complete aural oatmeal. Bourque, on the other hand, is just bad at his job.

Bourque is one of those armchair coach dweebs that will drag a guy like Geno for days for one lousy turnover but wax on feverishly at the same time about a player like ZAR and how invaluable he is to not only the lineup but the entire league. Plus yeah he's bad at his job.

Mears started trying to force “unique” calls into his game, where he’d yell “HE SCORES! HE SCORES! HE SCORES!” for a random 2nd period goal in a game in mid-November. It’s fine to try something new, but it wasn’t….him. And it just sounded cringey.

BROCKSTARRRRRRRR!

vodeni

Oct 27, 2010
Pittsburgh
Getzoff was awful last year, though?
give him a try...He got pretty darn good, he'll be way better than Mears

Getzoff and Erey would be actually pretty good, hope I won't have to watch and listen Bourque..I may be the only one here that still waiting to hear something relevant and insightful and analytical from Colby,

Zbynek

Jarry friggin sucks dude
Jun 6, 2011
Madrid, Spain
It's sad that Errey is gone. Damnit.
Agreed, I'm not happy about this.

Copied from my post on the main boards:

Errey usually gets it right the first time and is quick on obscure rulings and reviews.

There was a shootout some years back between the Rangers and the Pens. Interesting moment because they called the game and the players went into the locker-room, but the refs reviewed the non-goal and ended calling the teams back out on the ice. Watch how Errey immediately knew it was a non-goal on the instant replay:

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
Agreed, I'm not happy about this.

Copied from my post on the main boards:

Errey usually gets it right the first time and is quick on obscure rulings and reviews.

There was a shootout some years back between the Rangers and the Pens. Interesting moment because they called the game and the players went into the locker-room, but the refs reviewed the non-goal and ended calling the teams back out on the ice. Watch how Errey immediately knew it was a non-goal on the instant replay:

I like Errey, but that was pretty obvious with the replay, no? If he saw that live, now that would be pretty impressive.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
Outside of obviously annoying announcers like Steigy or Jack Edwards, I just kinda find myself tuning them all out anyway. Errey was bordering on annoying to me. :laugh:

SomeDude

Mar 6, 2006
Pittsburghish
Errey should have stayed. Actually pretty upset he’s canned.

I can’t see them putting Bourque on TV with how “negative” he is about the team.

Mears has the personality of a walnut. Getzoff is a bit better but nothing special.

I said it when the rumors of NESN would be taking over started, they will find their Pittsburgh version of Jack Edwards. An insufferable clown who is fully comfortable making a complete ass out of himself in defense of the logo. So, welcome back Steigy.

Zbynek

Jarry friggin sucks dude
Jun 6, 2011
Madrid, Spain
I like Errey, but that was pretty obvious with the replay, no? If he saw that live, now that would be pretty impressive.
I feel like most color commentary guys in the league wouldn't instantly recognize it on the first replay like Errey did. It's one example, but sums Errey up well I think. For all his goofyness, he had great hockey chops on command

If Potash and Caufield survive the purge, FSG has truly lost the plot.
At this point just get rid of 'em all.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad