MDSF Thread: Columbus vs. Pittsburgh (All general series talk here)

Samkow

Now do Classical Gas
Jul 4, 2002
Detroit
Keys to the series.

Goaltending-Not only do we need Bob to put up like .935-.950 save percentage this series but we need MAF to pull a Fleury. We know Bob will be ready but will Fleury not be? Encouraging signs today for the latter...
Depth-This is the only other area where we might have an advantage. Our 3rd and 4th lines have worked very well, while Pittsburgh is forced to ice some pretty flimsy bottom 6 forwards. We need guys like Anisimov/Comeau/Skille/etc. to go above and beyond offensively.
Youth-Johansen, Murray, and Jenner can't look overwhelmed this series. To be honest, I'm not sure how that 1st line will do with the intensity turned up. They're really the only consistent offensive thread.
Fast Start-This team showed a tendency to suck after long layoffs. Seeing as getting Fleury off his game early has to happen for us to win, we absolutely need to win at least one of the first two games in Pittsburgh.

Seedtype

Aug 16, 2009
Ohio?!?!
I missed most of the CBJ playoffs last time, but it seemed to me that Jackets didn't come alive until game 4 in that series.

I don't want to see that this time. Let's forecheck and hit the crap out of these Penguins.... and let the results sort themselves out.

I remember reading once that Bob felt he wasn't mentally ready for playoffs when he was in Philadelphia. I think he will be this time.

GO JACKETS!

BluejacketNut

Sep 23, 2006
www.erazzphoto.com
Our best chance is that there should be no surprises at all. We've played them 5 times, we know what they do, we know who they are...it just comes down to playing the game. If we can get some grind it out games, we could win a few. Here's a chance to make a legacy Bob

JacketFanInFL

Brick by Brick
Mar 27, 2006
Central FL
What would you consider a "success?"

A. We made it to the playoffs. It's what the organization has set as a goal. It's successful already.
B. One Playoff Win, get that monkey off the back.
C. Two playoff wins
D. Three playoff wins
E. A series win
F. Two series wins
G. Stanley cup
H. I will never be happy ever.

Speedy Sanderson

Jan 29, 2012
Rob Rossi ‏@RobRossi_Trib 15m
#pens vs Blue Jackets in RD 1. Likely Wed-Fri for GMs 1 & 2 at Consol. GM 3 likely next Sun evening at Nationwide #CannonWatch #nhl

Samkow

Now do Classical Gas
Jul 4, 2002
Detroit

A. We made it to the playoffs. It's what the organization has set as a goal. It's successful already.
C. Two playoff wins
D. Three playoff wins
E. A series win
F. Two series wins
G. Stanley cup

I expect B. I'd be pretty happy with C or D. Be thrilled with anything beyond that.

JacketFanInFL

Brick by Brick
Mar 27, 2006
Central FL
Goaltending-Not only do we need Bob to put up like .935-.950 save percentage this series but we need MAF to pull a Fleury. We know Bob will be ready but will Fleury not be? Encouraging signs today for the latter...
Depth-This is the only other area where we might have an advantage. Our 3rd and 4th lines have worked very well, while Pittsburgh is forced to ice some pretty flimsy bottom 6 forwards. We need guys like Anisimov/Comeau/Skille/etc. to go above and beyond offensively.
Youth-Johansen, Murray, and Jenner can't look overwhelmed this series. To be honest, I'm not sure how that 1st line will do with the intensity turned up. They're really the only consistent offensive thread.
Fast Start-This team showed a tendency to suck after long layoffs. Seeing as getting Fleury off his game early has to happen for us to win, we absolutely need to win at least one of the first two games in Pittsburgh.

I think the biggest keys are the defense and mentality. They will have to cover some of the best forwards and offensive defensemen in the league. They have had some very shaky play this year, especially Wiz in his own zone. Mentality because of our terrible overall record vs. them.

Jyrki

Benning has been purged! VANmen!
May 24, 2011
溫哥華

C. Two playoff wins
D. Three playoff wins
E. A series win
F. Two series wins
G. Stanley cup

Expectation = A playoff win
Success = Force Pens into a grueling, 6-7 game series
Magic = Getting into the next round

Our young guys have a lot of growing to do before we can expect them to go on a deep run, but you never know. A guy like Johansen can give Fleury nightmares, and a guy like Jenner can be loathed by the Pens' D. I just hope they keep their heads up, because they'll be our aces along with Bob.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Expectation = A playoff win
Success = Force Pens into a grueling, 6-7 game series
Magic = Getting into the next round

Our young guys have a lot of growing to do before we can expect them to go on a deep run, but you never know. A guy like Johansen can give Fleury nightmares, and a guy like Jenner can be loathed by the Pens' D. I just hope they keep their heads up, because they'll be our aces along with Bob.

I agree here

Samkow

Now do Classical Gas
Jul 4, 2002
Detroit
The hell with their thread and their forum and their entitled fans who apparently have nothing better to do with their lives than spend hours on foofy GDTs and frilly series preview threads. The hell with their team and the stupid media love affair with their high-profile players.

I don't know about other folks, but I don't need any of that crap to get me excited about the playoffs. Screw 'em.

Cash for Nash

May 13, 2012

C. Two playoff wins
D. Three playoff wins
E. A series win
F. Two series wins
G. Stanley cup

A.

Unless we play the Pens (which we do)

So

E

I can't stand that organization especially the fans who probably live here and "love the ole" buckeyes but jump on the bandwagon for the successful Pitt pro sports teams (Steelers, Penguins, Pirates etc) and say well "I have relatives from PA."

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Dubinsky will be a huge factor in this series. He has been able to mess with Crosby in the past, and Sid has shown he can be taken off his game in the playoffs.

Faceoff percentage must be above 50% for CBJ.

Can Bob steal... something?

Defense (meaning all five skaters in the d zone) will have to be on its game. Keep pucks to the outside, find loose pucks in the crease, check some damn guys, block shots and keep lanes clear for Bob. Most importantly stay organized.

Wiz is another player to note. He has to be more valuable in the scoring end than an issue in the defensive end.

Joey can't try to 'prove' anything. He's so on his game right now.

Comeau has been playing well, but I'd love him to play that way on the 4th line. It'd be nice if Foligno can be full go.

Last edited:

NotWendell

Has also never won the lottery.
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2005
Columbus, Ohio

C. Two playoff wins
D. Three playoff wins
E. A series win
F. Two series wins
G. Stanley cup

Definitely B. That's been my measuring stick since preseason. That said, E or F wouldn't shock me with this bunch.

NotWendell

Has also never won the lottery.
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2005
Columbus, Ohio
Dubinsky will be a huge factor in this series. He has been able to mess with Crosby in the past, and Sid has shown he can be taken off his game in the playoffs.

Faceoff percentage must be above 50% for CBJ.

Can Bob steal... something?

Defense (meaning all five skaters in the d zone) will have to be on its game. Keep pucks to the outside, find loose pucks in the crease, check some damn guys, block shots and keep lanes clear for Bob.

Wiz is another player to note. He has to be more valuable in the scoring end than an issue in the defensive end.

Joey can't try to 'prove' anything. He's so on his game right now.

Comeau has been playing well, but I'd love him to play that way on the 4th line. It'd be nice if Foligno can be full go.

Boone Jenner will irritate the hell out of Sidney Crosby.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad