Post-Game Talk: MDSF, Gm. 1: Flyers at Capitals, Thursday, April 14; Couturier out two weeks

renberg

Dec 31, 2003
Lewes Delaware
forums.hfboards.com
When you're dealing with a clown like Wilson, there are several ways of handling it. One is to go after him but thats a waste of time. He's an end of the bencher on the ice attempting to take out and hurt quality players. Last night he took a good player, Simmonds, off of the ice with him. Bad loss for the Flyers. A better action would be for Gudas, Schenn, Simmonds to take out Backstrom, Johansson, Orlov or someone else in retaliation. Go for our good guys; we go for your good guys. If the Flyers did that, some of the targeted Caps players would be telling their goons to cool it.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
When you're dealing with a clown like Wilson, there are several ways of handling it. One is to go after him but thats a waste of time. He's an end of the bencher on the ice attempting to take out and hurt quality players. Last night he took a good player, Simmonds, off of the ice with him. Bad loss for the Flyers. A better action would be for Gudas, Schenn, Simmonds to take out Backstrom, Johansson, Orlov or someone else in retaliation. Go for our good guys; we go for your good guys. If the Flyers did that, some of the targeted Caps players would be telling their goons to cool it.

You're 100% right, as much as I cheered on Simmer for going after Wilson.

CarolinaFlyerFan

Jun 12, 2007
I have followed the Flyers since their inception. Played pond hockey then in men's leagues before most of you were a thought, played football in HS and to be honest was never good enough to go further. Somehow this generation of entitlement believes that some players have earned permanent spots on the roster regardless of how poorly they are playing at THIS moment. Jake is not playing well now nor has he been as good as his previous years. Maybe due to injury, maybe another factor. But, he has been a detriment since he came back. He may want to contribute, but if he is not capable of the position due to some factor he should be given and accept a lesser role until he can prove he is fit for more. In life you earn your position daily on and off the ice.

lmao this "generation of entitlement" is why the Flyers lost. Amazing logic

A Pointed Stick

No Idea About The Future
Dec 23, 2010
Islander fan coming in peace. I hope you beat them but you have your work cut out. Keep your heads up because they tend to get the benefit of the doubt from the refs for some reason when everyone knows they are a pretty dirty club.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
I have followed the Flyers since their inception. Played pond hockey then in men's leagues before most of you were a thought, played football in HS and to be honest was never good enough to go further. Somehow this generation of entitlement believes that some players have earned permanent spots on the roster regardless of how poorly they are playing at THIS moment. Jake is not playing well now nor has he been as good as his previous years. Maybe due to injury, maybe another factor. But, he has been a detriment since he came back. He may want to contribute, but if he is not capable of the position due to some factor he should be given and accept a lesser role until he can prove he is fit for more. In life you earn your position daily on and off the ice.

Oh yeah, the "I'm older so I know more" argument. That's solid.

Anyway, your argument is still trash.

The whole "earn your spot" whining doesn't apply here since he obviously has earned his spot. A short stretch of bad games after coming back from an injury doesn't change that. Some people are able to see further than the end of their nose, which helps with realizing that a short stretch of abnormally bad play isn't likely to continue, and he's definitely not busting out of the slump by getting put on the 4th line, or wherever you want him. Plus, if we're going by your nonsense, then we'll need to keep his spot open on the lineup because if he hasn't earned that spot then none of his possible replacements have either.

This isn't about entitlement, it's about using common sense. Try it out sometime.

Last edited:

PensBrony 6 9*

Oh yeah, the "I'm older so I know more" argument. That's solid.

Anyway, your argument is still trash.

The whole "earn your spot" whining doesn't apply here since he obviously has earned his spot. A short stretch of bad games after coming back from an injury doesn't change that. Some people are able to see further than the end of their nose, which helps with realizing that a short stretch of abnormal isn't likely to continue, and he's definitely not busting out of the slump by getting put on the 4th line, or wherever you want him. Plus, if we're going by your nonsense, then we'll need to keep his spot open on the lineup because if he hasn't earned that spot then none of his possible replacements have either.

This isn't about entitlement, it's about using common sense. Try it out sometime.

Isn't putting him on the 4th line actually what broke him out of his earlier slump toward the beginning of the year?

gto64dr

Jan 15, 2012
Yes, I am older and obviously more mature because reasoning outlasts insulting. Insulting proves nothing it doesn't make your argument better.

I guess we have an infinite period to allow him to "breakout of his slump". Well maybe he'll get it done in three more or ? Oh that's about all we have if he doesn't start contributing.

Would you play your best wide receiver if he was hurt and couldn't get clear or kept dropping the ball. Didn't think so

But don't use reason, just insult because it makes a more valid point

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Milbury also saying refs got the Wilson/Simmonds thing wrong. When that guy sides with the Flyers, who he openly admits to hating, it says something. In this case it just says what every NHL fan has known for a while, that officiating standards are lower than whale crap in the Mariana Trench.

CanadianFlyer88

Knublin' PPs
Feb 12, 2004
Van City
Yes, I am older and obviously more mature because reasoning outlasts insulting. Insulting proves nothing it doesn't make your argument better.

I guess we have an infinite period to allow him to "breakout of his slump". Well maybe he'll get it done in three more or ? Oh that's about all we have if he doesn't start contributing.

Would you play your best wide receiver if he was hurt and couldn't get clear or kept dropping the ball. Didn't think so

Jake is clearly injured and it speaks to the lack of depth that Jake at whatever percentage he's at is still better than an alternative. He's played in a couple of different spots since he's been back, as Hak is looking to get him going. The only thing Hakstol won't do is break up the 4th line.

That's all it comes down to and has nothing to do with entitlement.

hckyplayer8

Don't bang the glass
Mar 26, 2011
Grand Forks,ND
Missed this one live and skimmed through the game on the DVR.

The usual suspects that dragged us to the playoffs come April were good.

Simmonds, Schenn, Mason ect

Outside of that, not so much.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania

Immature + logic > mature + no logic ;)

If you're not even going to try to think this through then I'm not going to try to be patient with you, so suck it up.

You're just determined to whine about Voracek. Fine, go for it, but don't expect other people to join in if it makes no sense. Nobody is happy with how he's playing since he came back from the injury, but throwing him down the lineup makes no sense. The only thing we can do is be patient and hope he snaps out of it. If he doesn't, oh well, better luck next year. But that's the only option.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia

Again, who do you replace him with?

Show us the lineup you would ice.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Again, who do you replace him with?

Show us the lineup you would ice.

Exactly. Nobodies saying he's playing great, it's that there's no other person who can fill his spot (especially now that Couts is out) and also that he's not going to snap out of it by playing with AHLers.

This is such a simple concept...

gto64dr

Jan 15, 2012
Why can't he perform on a lower line? If he is so great, and note I said he is not playing well now, why can't he snap out his slump on a lower line? As for replacements for Coots, Laughton is th reasonable choice. After that lines need juggling. Laugh if you want but I suggest White. He's tough and could be the front man that gets beat up in th crease while the talent gets the puck on net. Because at this point no one on the top line is creating crease havoc

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Why can't he perform on a lower line? If he is so great, and note I said he is not playing well now, why can't he snap out his slump on a lower line? As for replacements for Coots, Laughton is th reasonable choice. After that lines need juggling. Laugh if you want but I suggest White. He's tough and could be the front man that gets beat up in th crease while the talent gets the puck on net. Because at this point no one on the top line is creating crease havoc

So you think Ryan White should be in the top line with Giroux and Simmonds?

If I am misunderstanding, please show the 4 lines you suggest.

TCTC

Mar 25, 2013
Hakstol definitely has to break up the top line. One of Voracek and Simmonds has to play on the 2nd line with Schenn for a more balanced lineup.
The line matchup game will be tricky without Couturier, but I still think we could ice a solid top 6 and a pesky 3rd line with Cousins, Read and Laughton.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania

Because even someone who isn't in a slump would struggle when playing with garbage players. So even if he does start playing better, we won't see any boost in production when playing with trash. If boosting production isn't the point, then what is?

Laughton isn't a reasonable choice for the 2nd line because he hasn't even been great on lower lines, he certainly isn't ready to play as 2C.

White is hardly passable as a 4th liner, he's not moving up, certainly not to the top line. The reason I brought up Couts is because with him out Schenn becomes the 2C for now... and he was the only person who could switch places with Voracek and not completely ruin the lines. If Voracek did go down the lineup, which we already know is a bad idea, and it isn't Schenn coming up, then who? White, no. VV, hell no. Bellemare, no. Read, no. Cousins, no. Gagner, no. So.... no options. Voracek stays. End of story.

gto64dr

Jan 15, 2012
problem is if you load only two lines with what's left it's easy to shut down. Mix some good and bad on all the lines. Not too easy to shut it all down. We don't have enough talent for two lines so it'll be too easy to cover the top and second. We've had a problem all year with lack of depth.

Why can't White muck it up for the top line. Still have talent with a crease man.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
If Jakes drops down to line 2 with Schenn and Raffl, then someone with skill has to move up.

That leaves Gagner, who is weak...Laughton, who was just scratched, Read, who has been bad, and....

...seriously....Laughton might be the best option.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
problem is if you load only two lines with what's left it's easy to shut down. Mix some good and bad on all the lines. Not too easy to shut it all down. We don't have enough talent for two lines so it'll be too easy to cover the top and second. We've had a problem all year with lack of depth.

Why can't White muck it up for the top line. Still have talent with a crease man.

It's even easier to shut a team down when the lines shut down themselves by having a terrible jumble of players. They'd struggle to score against trash teams if its 1 good player and 2 trash. Nobody can do it all on their own, they need help. If we don't load up the top 6 then we go from a 2 line team to a 1 line team. What we don't have enough talent for is spreading the good players out to try to roll 4 good lines. We have to accept having 2 good, 2 bad.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad