Post-Game Talk: MDSF, Gm. 1: Flyers at Capitals, Thursday, April 14; Couturier out two weeks

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
ROR got 7 x 7.5. It only takes one team with cap space and a sense of desperation.

skagittarius

Jan 18, 2016
PNW
Send in the arm chair General Managers...

It's maddening how so many of you, the most vocal mind you, repeatedly reveal how little actual Hockey you've played, if any.

Voracek is clearly injured. He's an elite player who is pushing himself too hard and is struggling to accept the fact that he's not capable of playing at the level he'd like. He will rebound and return to form.

Morin over Manning? Are you people serious? Try as you might choke down your hate for Manning for a moment, when has Samuel Morin showed remotely anything this Season that suggests he could step into the Playoffs, against the top team in the East mind you and be the slightest bit effective. The organization is in the business of developing players not stunting them.

Does anyone here legitimately think the Flyers are capable of making a deep run? If so, then get over yourselves because they're not. They were and remain a bubble team with glaring holes in every facet of the organization. This is a learning experience, nothing more, nothing less. The end game of this series is to identify the strengths and weaknesses of this particular team so they can be addressed in the off season and in the subsequent years.

We're going to lose this Series. Accept it. However that being said, a first round loss against a potential Cup finalist is not all bad. Ghost gets a taste, is given the opportunity to acknowledge that when his space and time are taken away, he needs to modify his game. Cousins gets the opportunity to further realize that he's a legitimate NHL player who can develop into the super pest this organization has so desperately lacked for a decade. Schenn is further given the opportunity to raise his game and establish himself as a top winger that scouts have long projected him to be.

It hurts. I get that. I really do but for Christ's sake, find solace in the organization itself and the promise that this future holds for the Orange & Black. This is going to be an Elite team in the East in a few Seasons. There's a plan in place and it's going as planned, perhaps even ahead of schedule. Kick back and accept this year for what it was: Necessary, exciting and at times painful growth along the path to reclaimed Glory.

Good post. I agree with all of this except for the Manning point. Just like it's obvious that Voracek's heath is an issue (and likely Streit's too), it's clear to me that Manning is in over his head. While Moran may not be the answer, I'm 90% sure the flyers are going to be more competitive in this series sans Manning. Furthermore, Manning has zero future with this team, and the same argument you made about getting experience for Ghost can be made for Morin.

I expected us to lose this series too, but I don't want to see us lose the physical battle. Aside from moving on, I'd love nothing more than to take a pound of flesh with us as we go down, and there are 3-4 players on the Capitals that I'd frankly love to see us take a run at or at least plant that seed. Psychologically, having Moran in the ice would factor into that. I'm sure you can understand that as a former player.

kingjmusicman

Jan 4, 2016
Tom Wilson stated Schenn was 10 feet in the air when he hit Mike Richards last night. I missed that. Does he know just called the team is called the Flyers that doesn't mean the players actually fly? Also, you're not supposed to leave your skates when you hit, so you're fine to nail people from behind.

flyersjim73

Nov 19, 2011
Philly
Tom Wilson stated Schenn was 10 feet in the air when he hit Mike Richards last night. I missed that. Does he know just called the team is called the Flyers that doesn't mean the players actually fly? Also, you're not supposed to leave your skates when you hit, so you're fine to nail people from behind.

Ohhh good he's not just a jack@#%, he's a moron too. There is NOBODY in the league I hate more than that pos.

StateOfHexcellence

Mar 31, 2016
Ashes of Pattison
Morganti hinted that Voracek was still hampered by the foot as little as 15 days ago. Still has the boot on at times. He's gotten his skating and handwork back a little but is def not conditioned enough or it's something else bothering him. I would bet he's playing through a lot of pain if it's a high ankle sprain.

as for the kind of fans the caps have.......I remember knowing when did they every get very far, once. Other times out before second and third rounds. Yes, our spririt is def broken (eyeroll)

I just remember at one point during the 2nd period (past the halfway point), they showed a few Flyers players skating towards the bench and then showed the whole Flyers bench and I just said to myself: "They look so demoralized." And they really, really did. You could just see it all over them. The Capitals with their hitting, and blocking shots, and keeping them from attempting shots had just knocked hope out of the Flyers.

You could tell by the pre-game interviews that the Flyers had believed they were up to the challenge of facing the Caps. They bought into the story that the Capitals weren't as good as their record with the whole coasting and such since there was no need since the Playoff berth has essentially been locked up since February. Pretty quickly our boys showed them--now that there is a motivation to win--yeah, there's a reason the Capitals are the #1 seed and the Flyers are #8. You could just see it written all over them. The Capitals more than demolished their bodies; they demolished their spirits.
It was AWESOME!

this by someone who probably never played an ounce of sports in their life. Delusional much? Never won, never will, even this year.

kingjmusicman

Jan 4, 2016
Hakstol said as much last night. "We got our spirits demolished. Is there a demolished spirit whisperer in the greater DC area? Anyone?"

2ndGenIslander

Feb 2, 2012
Nassau
i give it until game 3 until you all absolutely hate that gutless piece of **** tom wilson. he'll intentionally injure your players and feel good about it

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
As someone who sees quite a few Caps games every season, I cannot for the life of me understand all the love Tom Wilson gets.

He was a complete non-factor right up until his cheap-shot that should have received a 5 minute major, he then proceeded to lose a fight. That's pretty much been the story every game against them. Total non-factor, reckless hit, loses fight.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
i give it until game 3 until you all absolutely hate that gutless piece of **** tom wilson. he'll intentionally injure your players and feel good about it

We have hated him for a few years. He has no respect for his opponents. He could be Matt Martin-esque if he wasn't a ****** person.

kingjmusicman

Jan 4, 2016
If Gudas is temporarily made a forward facing the Caps 4th line I have little problem with it in game 2 or 3....

Les Averman

Mar 3, 2015
Pittsburgh, PA
Averman, do you really watch and understand the bench and coaches? Murphy is the D coach.

Mullen can teach the system, but the guys executing it are more of the problem. They do need another big shot on the PP. Give it time...we'll have it. I am ok with another PP coach next season, but we need better players. I think it's more of players with hockey smarts for special teams. How's our prospects Koencky and the rest. The thing about them is hockey smarts.....this is how we will win a cup. Some of our guys are limited physically and hockey smart's wise.

Brain fart there. Murphy... Mullen :dunno:

Having a nice shot on the half board opposite G would be nice (and I think Schenn out there would be more beneficial than Jake), but the 1-3-1 really isn't working and it hasn't been all year. It's too easy to take away multiple passing lanes based on the way players are staggered, and the main reason it was so effective at times was because Hartnell had that great snap shot from the slot. Schenn isn't doing a bad job there, and has been valuable as more of a rover who moves throughout the offensive zone but teams have it figured out. When you have one of the top playmakers in the game in Giroux, a top 5 net presence in Simmonds, one of the more talented and composed point players in the league in Ghost, and a guy who can pass as well as Voracek can, you should be extremely difficult to slow down. It's not like it's been a problem just this past month. It's been bad all year, minus the first month or so after Ghost came up when the entire dynamic changed.

Les Averman

Mar 3, 2015
Pittsburgh, PA

To be fair, Schenn completely got away with charging there. He was a good 6-12" off the ice when he hit Richards.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Brain fart there. Murphy... Mullen :dunno:

Having a nice shot on the half board opposite G would be nice (and I think Schenn out there would be more beneficial than Jake), but the 1-3-1 really isn't working and it hasn't been all year. It's too easy to take away multiple passing lanes based on the way players are staggered, and the main reason it was so effective at times was because Hartnell had that great snap shot from the slot. Schenn isn't doing a bad job there, and has been valuable as more of a rover who moves throughout the offensive zone but teams have it figured out. When you have one of the top playmakers in the game in Giroux, a top 5 net presence in Simmonds, one of the more talented and composed point players in the league in Ghost, and a guy who can pass as well as Voracek can, you should be extremely difficult to slow down. It's not like it's been a problem just this past month. It's been bad all year, minus the first month or so after Ghost came up when the entire dynamic changed.

I'm down for any change to the PP, as long as it's a change.

Nothing is happening. On for 45 seconds, no scoring chances, off the ice. Over and over and over. It's not okay.

gto64dr

Jan 15, 2012
I have followed the Flyers since their inception. Played pond hockey then in men's leagues before most of you were a thought, played football in HS and to be honest was never good enough to go further. Somehow this generation of entitlement believes that some players have earned permanent spots on the roster regardless of how poorly they are playing at THIS moment. Jake is not playing well now nor has he been as good as his previous years. Maybe due to injury, maybe another factor. But, he has been a detriment since he came back. He may want to contribute, but if he is not capable of the position due to some factor he should be given and accept a lesser role until he can prove he is fit for more. In life you earn your position daily on and off the ice.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad