GDT: MDSF, Game 3: Capitals at Flyers, Monday, April 18, 7:00 pm ET

Status
Not open for further replies.

Teezax

Nov 25, 2002
Montreal
Manning has been absolutely atrocious through the first 2 games. Like disgustingly bad.

100% this. 2 penalties that led to goals that changed the momentum of both games.
And if that wasn't enough, we always seem to be tied in our own end when he is on. Giving the Caps sustained pressure and building more momentum. Medvedev needs to play, period.
Better outlets, more defensive awareness, and some offense to boot. This should be a no brainer.

boxcar65

Sep 24, 2007
Richmond, VA
Manning still in.

Thank you, coach Hakstol. Honestly, though, I would not have been surprised to see him in for either Manning or AMac. I hope the team is not too overly emotional tonight to the point where it affects their play. The crowd needs to be into it like never before the next two games.

BrimFullofAsham45

Dec 22, 2002
Thank you, coach Hakstol. Honestly, though, I would not have been surprised to see him in for either Manning or AMac. I hope the team is not too overly emotional tonight to the point where it affects their play. The crowd needs to be into it like never before the next two games.

Can you please explain your creepy Brandon Manning infatuation?

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
100% this. 2 penalties that led to goals that changed the momentum of both games.
And if that wasn't enough, we always seem to be tied in our own end when he is on. Giving the Caps sustained pressure and building more momentum. Medvedev needs to play, period.
Better outlets, more defensive awareness, and some offense to boot. This should be a no brainer.

Yet, he had more ice time than Gudas last game.

:huh:

Branko

Jul 5, 2011

This certainly exposes the Flyers greatest weakness in their defensive depth. Is Medvedev that much better? Agreed that I'd rather have him in their for Mandog but I can easily see Meds trapped in his own zone with the puck. He would be an easy target for a costly turnover with the physical nature of this series.

Looking forward to MDZ and Provorov back on the blueline next year. We simply just don't have enough depth on D for a long postseason run.

BringBackHakstol

Oct 25, 2005
Philadelphia
Zero chance Manning comes out. Hak has watched him flounder badly in the first 2 games and still gave him the most ice time of any player on the team in Game 2. Any hopes of a swap are wishful thinking.

I guess we are learning this season that Hak while a good coach, might need to have to be baby sat by Hextall and have his choking hazard toys taken away from him by force.

BringBackHakstol

Oct 25, 2005
Philadelphia
This certainly exposes the Flyers greatest weakness in their defensive depth. Is Medvedev that much better? Agreed that I'd rather have him in their for Mandog but I can easily see Meds trapped in his own zone with the puck. He would be an easy target for a costly turnover with the physical nature of this series.

Looking forward to MDZ and Provorov back on the blueline next year. We simply just don't have enough depth on D for a long postseason run.

Medvedev has the ability to make the quick and slick passes that you need to make in an uptempo playoff game with heavy forechecking and little time and space.

Manning is awful at making quick solid plays with the puck to move the team up ice.

Where Medvedev will struggle is his play without the puck and making the right reads defensively and at the offensive blueline. Still, it should be a no-brainer. It's a calculated risk with little downside and a pretty big upside.

BrimFullofAsham45

Dec 22, 2002
Manning should be getting Krajicek/Parent levels of icetime. I had to double check last game's boxscore to see the icetime breakdown, I'm glad that one single player (Ghost) saw the ice more than Mandog.

It's painful to witness this and its truly maddening. This could be as much of a Gord Murphy problem as a Hakstol problem, however.

Has Manning finally succeeded in taking a shot from the point that hasn't been blocked yet? At least Medvedev is pretty good at getting pucks through, and aside from other things, handling the puck at an NHL level.

boxcar65

Sep 24, 2007
Richmond, VA
Can you please explain your creepy Brandon Manning infatuation?

Nothing creepy about it, Aaron. I just appreciate the fact that an undrafted, hard working, team first guy who toiled for four years in the AHL finally realized his dream to make it and play in the NHL. It also helps that he is so roundly made the scapegoat and whipping boy for several folks on this board.

He is what he is...a #6 Dman who is average in several areas but doesn't stand out in one particular facet of the game. I know it ticks everyone off that he has played a good number of minutes the first two games, but the coach must know something we don't.

If you compare Manning to other #6/#7 Dmen around the league, I don't think you will find too much difference. He could fill the same role for just about anyone.

blinds

Jan 5, 2012
Any comment about Manning taking a penalty that led to a PPG against in each game so far? No other player has been that detrimental.

They were both the opening goals too, weren't they? Scoring first is that much more important against a team like the Caps that can just shut everything around Holtby down once they get the lead. Thanks, Brandon Manning. Real team-first guy.

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey
Nothing creepy about it, Aaron. I just appreciate the fact that an undrafted, hard working, team first guy who toiled for four years in the AHL finally realized his dream to make it and play in the NHL. It also helps that he is so roundly made the scapegoat and whipping boy for several folks on this board.

He is what he is...a #6 Dman who is average in several areas but doesn't stand out in one particular facet of the game. I know it ticks everyone off that he has played a good number of minutes the first two games, but the coach must know something we don't.

If you compare Manning to other #6/#7 Dmen around the league, I don't think you will find too much difference. He could fill the same role for just about anyone.

He stands out in many facets of the game. Not the good kind.

BrimFullofAsham45

Dec 22, 2002

It is a tad creepy that 247 of your 251 posts (rough estimate) regard Brandon Manning.

I don't think anyone is particularly scapegoating Manning (though he has directly lead to opposition goals in the last two games). However, substituting Manning with Medvedev is a simple adjustment that makes the Flyers a better team. Manning has played "better" down the stretch, but is clearly in way over his head in this playoff series. He's a major liability out there.

hatcher

Sep 30, 2007
Kelowna BC
Would be awesome if we could sign him. There was an article last week about us being front runners for him along with Chicago, Edmonton, Vancouver and Ottawa. Would guess it either ends up us or Chicago.
We could add him now.Don't let him leave.

BringBackHakstol

Oct 25, 2005
Philadelphia
I know it ticks everyone off that he has played a good number of minutes the first two games, but the coach must know something we don't.

We are all watching the same games aren't we? So what is it the coach knows that could possibly make up for the difference of poor results shown on the ice?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad