Series Talk: MDSF: (3) Penguins vs. (2) Islanders - Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Geno when he realizes he has 1 more game left until vacation posts on instagram in Flo-Rida.

3sS2N9K.gif

Reactions: TheTang58

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
Yea thats the most maddening thing is Blue scored/did all those good things down the stretch and they just throw in ZAR, who everybody on the staff should know the guy takes a while to get going. Throwing him right into a PO series was dumb and not only did they do that, they promote him him to play top 6 wing when McCann couldn't go.

The other most maddening thing is putting Jake-Sid-Rust together with what it looked like last time it was together. It was playing alot of hockey in it's own end of the ice is what it was doing.

The lines that worked down the stretch were McCann-Sid-Jake and Simon-Bjugs-Horny. They shouldn't have broke them up.
Just had to slot someone like Blue/Johnson beside G-Phil and let 'em go out and play.

I don't even know if all that would've made a difference against these Isles but it would've been a helluva lot smarter to start with that.

Atleast they got the D right. It's just Dumo-Tang are banged up/just got back and Olli had wut, 2 games to prepare for the ratcheting up.

Just to expand on this with a doable G4 lineup:

McCann-Sid-Jake/Rust
Jake/Rust-G-Phil
Simon-Bjugs-Horny
Blueger-Cullen-Wilson

And obviously Olli checking back in for JJ.

If they wanna get a little nutty. Stack it right the **** up:

Geno/McCann-Sid-Phil/Jake
Geno/McCann-Bjugs-Phil/Jake

Last edited:

HuskerTornado

Jobu Needs Rum
May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
I feel like the only time people wring about line combinations is when our depth just isn't that good. At times it feels like people are micro-optimizing because there isn't really another alternative.
True. All season, whenever I would do the whole exercise of 'mix your own best 12F/6D lineup', after 30 seconds I'd almost always end with this expression
mwwmtg.jpg

and a closure of tab/spreadsheet.

People just hate how bad he blew that Pouliot pick. Well at least that’s the case for me.
And the fact that Shero admitted he only picked the first rounders, and left the remainder to the scouting staff. So based on that, he wasn't a good at drafting.

Reactions: TheTang58

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
Late to the party.

While I'm sure the Penguins are getting savaged and there's talk of their window closing without a retool (the latter, I'd agree with), let me just switch gears and say that the Islanders have the look of a team that can win the Stanley Cup. They're giving me acid flashbacks to the Lamoriello Devils at their best.

Reactions: tom_servo

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
Late to the party.

While I'm sure the Penguins are getting savaged and there's talk of their window closing without a retool (the latter, I'd agree with), let me just switch gears and say that the Islanders have the look of a team that can win the Stanley Cup. They're giving me acid flashbacks to the Lamoriello Devils at their best.

I wouldn't go that far.
All the other teams can tilt ice much more than us and get between the dots with way more regularity.
Isles will have a tough road vs anyone left.
Can they make an OTT '17 type run? Sure but that OTT team the likes of EK and Stone.
The Kuhnackl's, Komarov's, Filppula's will be shut down past us and things won't be as easy for the Eberle's, Bailey's, Barzal's, Nelson's, Lee's.

They'll have to play perfect in Round 2 to get to the Conf. Final and they'll lose that if they get that far.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
The part that bothers me and angers me the most is that this team is a tinker in the line-up away from being woken up.

There's literally no one to blame but themselves.

Reactions: ZeroPucksGiven

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
I'm expecting the penguins to open up and and unleash a highly effective game against the isles. Closing out a series is always difficult and I am hoping the Isles loosen up their game, but possibly having Trots experience he may talk up a highly effective strategum knowing quite exact how to do the penguins in.

If the time was ever, it is tonight, the penguins need to fire on all cylinders and knock the wall down.
Bring down the wall boys!

JitteryCandidCirriped-size_restricted.gif

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
I dunno...
The way the Isles play vs what Sully will probably dress and the tendency to NOT trap for this group will play right into their hands.

Like i said, if you want to rally 4 straight on these Isles, again, with the roster Sully likely dresses, you bring it back and don't send 3 F's deep all night long. You do your damndest to rule the NZ and 5 guys packing it in to give em nothing on the inside. Basically play Trotz's style back at him.

I suspect they'll(the group) do just that tho(press 3 deep/loose NZ play still) and it'll be just more of the same as we've seen these first 3 games. Perhaps theres a slim chance the group of 5's on the ice will have the uptick in energy needed being in the spot they're in to rally off a win or 2 but to get 4 in a row against this particular opponent requires a strategy change.

vikingGoalie

Oct 31, 2010
while Mario was fine playing a trap. I don't see Sid+Geno really being on board with that. I mean let's be real here. We have seen our two headed monster their entire career they go through periods where they play exactly opposite what the coach is telling them to do. Eventually said coach is fired, new coach comes in and they get on board with the new plan, repeat.

It's not like Sully tells geno, "You know what we need right now geno? You need to go just stick someone until you get in the penalty box so we can go on the PK". Or tells Sid. "Sid I love those passes you send behind you to an islander that lets them leave the zone with speed, we need more of those."

Our generational HOF centers are not really playing "the right way" how the heck do you expect the rest of the team to fall in line. I feel like the players we have are good enough. We have the players to play fast penguins hockey. But some how we are not. Could we get a bit younger/faster? Sure that's always good. But we the players to do this NOW. Put in Johnson and Blueger, those 2 with the florida boys are not exactly slow. Kessel is pretty fast still. the only real plodders on offense are Zar, Cullen (because he is older then dirt), and wilson.

This is all in my head coming down to lineup decisions (coach), and tactics (coach). We should, as others have said, become a counterpunch team. We don't need a bunch of shots from outside the dots. We just need the right chances.

But once again this is all on effort and belief in the plan. We absolutely hate to dump the puck behind their D, we tried to do so a little more. But we have to do that consistently when nothing else presents itself. But it takes a lot of effort and will to win those board battles and get on the forecheck in time.

right now, I have no idea what to expect tonight. if we won 5-1 i would not be surprised, if we lost 0-5 I wouldn't be surprised either.

ziggyjoe212

Oct 2, 2017
Hockey isn't very entertaining when your team isn't winning. It's going to be miserable when Sid and Geno are gone and we're no longer contenders.

Reactions: Andy99

ncm7772

Apr 10, 2016
Upstate NY
Yea thats the most maddening thing is Blue scored/did all those good things down the stretch and they just throw in ZAR, who everybody on the staff should know the guy takes a while to get going. Throwing him right into a PO series was dumb and not only did they do that, they promote him him to play top 6 wing when McCann couldn't go.

The other most maddening thing is putting Jake-Sid-Rust together with what it looked like last time it was together. It was playing alot of hockey in it's own end of the ice is what it was doing.

The lines that worked down the stretch were McCann-Sid-Jake and Simon-Bjugs-Horny. They shouldn't have broke them up.
Just had to slot someone like Blue/Johnson beside G-Phil and let 'em go out and play.

I don't even know if all that would've made a difference against these Isles but it would've been a helluva lot smarter to start with that.

Atleast they got the D right. It's just Dumo-Tang are banged up/just got back and Olli had wut, 2 games to prepare for the ratcheting up.

I absolutely despise ZAR. He is literally good at nothing. And it's not his fault he got cheapshotted by Tom Wilson, but due to that, JR became obsessed with "toughness." So indirectly, he's partially at fault for the roster issues. I'm reaching, yes. But that's how much I dislike ZAR.

vikingGoalie

Oct 31, 2010
A little bit of what we’ve all been saying...I know people hate this guy but he’s not wrong...

HockeyBuzz.com - Ryan Wilson - The writing has been on the wall and nobody wanted to read it

I'm with you I can't disagree with anything he is saying per se. I do think on the whole JR hasn't been quite as bad as he alludes. I mean he even points out the roster that should be on the ice and it's pretty much the thing we've ALL been clamoring for, sit wilson + zar and put in Blueger and A. Johnson. Only variance might be Olli vs JJ.
Still I keep coming back to it. If the tools are in the tool box but the coach decides to use a screw driver to drive a nail instead of the hammer, is that not on the coach more so then the GM ?

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
I'm with you I can't disagree with anything he is saying per se. I do think on the whole JR hasn't been quite as bad as he alludes. I mean he even points out the roster that should be on the ice and it's pretty much the thing we've ALL been clamoring for, sit wilson + zar and put in Blueger and A. Johnson. Only variance might be Olli vs JJ.
Still I keep coming back to it. If the tools are in the tool box but the coach decides to use a screw driver to drive a nail instead of the hammer, is that not on the coach more so then the GM ?
They aren't 0-3 because of their 4th line wingers.

Sully deserves some blame as well, but it's JRs fault that he gave him this defense.

Reactions: Empoleon8771

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
With the exception of JJ still being in there and AJ not in there for ZAR or Wilson, it's as good as we could expect...

When the JJ alternative is Maatta, I'm fine with him staying in. If Riiko were an option I'd use him. It'd be nice to see Bluegs over that lump ZAR, but whatever. Like you say, it's about the best we can hope for.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I really wish people would just realize that there isn't a good way to construct the forward group as it's currently built, due to numerous underachievers and a bad roster makeup. Whether you play Wilson vs Johnson or ZAR vs Blueger or Johnson vs Maatta isn't going to make a difference, because none of those guys are going fix the real reason why this team is about to lose in the playoffs. It's trying to rearrange chairs on the Titanic, whether you have the old crappy chairs or the fancy new chairs doesn't matter when your boat is sinking.

Unless the Penguins have a top pair puck moving LD and a top-6 winger laying around somewhere, they're dead in the water. Playing a guy you like in place of a guy you don't like isn't going to make a difference, because both the guy you like and the guy you don't like aren't good.

Reactions: BlindWillyMcHurt

jamiepens

Apr 3, 2015
I'd still prefer Maatta over JJ. Unfortunately we only got a 1 game sample size to see how we could play without JJ. Schultz was much better paired with Maatta, played to our teams strengths. And I don't think it's any coincidence we looked much more dangerous offensively in game 1 than games 2-3.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
When the JJ alternative is Maatta, I'm fine with him staying in. If Riiko were an option I'd use him. It'd be nice to see Bluegs over that lump ZAR, but whatever. Like you say, it's about the best we can hope for.

Maatta actually got the puck out of our zone and maintained possession in the Isles in Game 1.

The fact people are choosing JJ over him is HILARIOUS after JJ’s awful, awful, awful last two games.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad