Series Talk: MDSF: (3) Penguins vs. (2) Islanders - Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Night Shift

Nov 3, 2014
Florida
It’s funny. I listened to the player interviews today...to a man, no one really answered the question as to whether they were still confident they could pull this out....Probably because they aren’t...looks like Tuesday will be a joke...it’s obvious there’s no real belief and trust in the room...

If its true that there is a lack of belief, either they feel this way about each other as teammates, or they no longer believe in the coach. Or both but the one thing is certain is that changes to the roster must be made.

Reactions: Andy99

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
Well, Sully most likely asked for acquisitions like these. After winning back to back cups he probably has more than enough influence to do just that.
There's just no basis to this. :laugh: He's scratched these big slow guys. These are JR and/or Guerin moves, which don't fit whatsoever with the system and approach Sullivan brought as he became coach.

I get being mad. I get that the coach is an easy target because it's simple to pin everything on the guy behind the bench. But he didn't build this bumbling blueline, and he's not the guy going after slow and ineffective players through trade and signings.

This is JR's mess. Sully's not perfect, but no coach is. Maybe we do need a new coach, but I'm almost certain everyone around here will rake the guy over coals within a month because of who he puts out for line combos and who he decides is his protege players. I'd feel a lot less skeptical about switching coaches if Q was still available, but he's in Florida, so that takes about the only guy I'd be comfortable with taking Sully's place out of the equation.

Kiith Nabaal

Oct 11, 2013
I feel like the only time people wring about line combinations is when our depth just isn't that good. At times it feels like people are micro-optimizing because there isn't really another alternative.

I expected the Islanders to be tougher than people were giving them credit for, but wow, the Penguins are looking at a sweep.

One of the things I *really* liked about Sullivan is that he had a GOOD reign on the team. When things didn't go right, the team didn't fall apart, but it doesn't sound like he has the kind of hold on them he once did. I found his end-of-year letter to the fans after the Capitals loss last year to be a bit bizarre. That is something the St. Louis Blues do lol. Regardless of whether or not it is his fault, the Penguins seem to get worse every year, and it could be that they need a different coach soon.

Reactions: Andy99

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
I watch all these other series and my mind goes to one single thing: Effort.

I think people are NUTS when they say an era is over or the team needs a major overhaul. They said it in 2011ish. They said it in 2013. They said it in 2015. They always say it. And they will eventually be right one time but about 0 for 3 or 4 by now.

It's all effort. These games are so much fun to watch across the league and man the Pens look laughable.

Sidgeni Malkby

Nov 19, 2008
NJ
For not liking Ian Cole, Mike Sullivan certainly played him a ton on the way to a back to back and ensured he got paid handsomely for the next three years..

I meant when he was traded, he was often a healthy scratch, no? Or are you saying that’s what it took to get Brassard?

their hand shake line

Lol...
I do remember reading some of them are watching the McMaster tournament. That is somewhat ironic I would say.

It’s funny. I listened to the player interviews today...to a man, no one really answered the question as to whether they were still confident they could pull this out....Probably because they aren’t...looks like Tuesday will be a joke...it’s obvious there’s no real belief and trust in the room...

So they already mailed if in :(.

Oh yeah. They sound utterly and completely defeated. Belief is the big thing... they have none.

And to be fair I can see why. Reasonable people can only delude themselves for so long. Unless they are Patric Hornqvist superfans.

Ok. If we sucked that bad then why bother trying to make the playoffs? Mail if in early and get a better draft pick.

Time for the greatest comeback of all time!

:) :).

vikingGoalie

Oct 31, 2010

I think people are NUTS when they say an era is over or the team needs a major overhaul. They said it in 2011ish. They said it in 2013. They said it in 2015. They always say it. And they will eventually be right one time but about 0 for 3 or 4 by now.

It's all effort. These games are so much fun to watch across the league and man the Pens look laughable.

Agreed. I'm still grasping at reasons why this team looked like they were finally gelling and looked like legit contenders a month ago and now in the playoffs look like they rather do anything but skate hard for Sullivan.

Reactions: ColePens

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018

So the team isn't trying, therefore we don't need drastic changes? I don't see how B follows A here.

ColePens

Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
So the team isn't trying, therefore we don't need drastic changes? I don't see how B follows A here.

Well now you obviously read my posts. You know the changes I want. I want to focus on youth/speed. I've said it ten trillion times. It shouldn't be in question at this point. Check my thoughts on the Reaves trade. :laugh: Or even the JJ signing.

ColePens

Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Agreed. I'm still grasping at reasons why this team looked like they were finally gelling and looked like legit contenders a month ago and now in the playoffs look like they rather do anything but skate hard for Sullivan.

It was right when Dumo/Letang went down. They really pulled it together and played for one another.

Get everyone back healthy and it goes away.

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
Well now you obviously read my posts. You know the changes I want. I want to focus on youth/speed. I've said it ten trillion times. It shouldn't be in question at this point. Check my thoughts on the Reaves trade. :laugh: Or even the JJ signing.

I'm not an "incrementalism" guy but I respect your POV.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009

Thing i have to keep reminding people here is JJ didn't start these PO's. Of course signing him to that abhorrent contract was bad BUT if Olli played like a Cole or a DeHaan, JJ is no where to be seen these first 3 games.
Even had the option to throw Riiko in but they haven't built him up to anything all season so thats another failure on the coaching staff.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017

I feel like there is a lack of compete...I’m not sure that it’s not that they’re trying...I think they might be trying but just can’t muster the legs or speed to get to the puck...either way, that’s either coaching (not listening or can’t play the style the coach wants) or both roster construction and coaching...if it’s a lack of effort by players who’ve made that effort in the past and just don’t want to put it in here, then isn’t that indictment of the coaching staff and FO?

My personal view is that there was a lack of effort last game but only after they got down a goal in that 62 second span...I think they knew it’s hard sledding against the Isles and those goals were just deflating. To me that means they don’t truly believe they have a team this year that can go anywhere near the Cup

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Thing i have to keep reminding people here is JJ didn't start these PO's. Of course signing him to that abhorrent contract was bad BUT if Olli played like a Cole or a DeHaan, JJ is no where to be seen these first 3 games.
Even had the option to throw Riiko in but they haven't built him up to anything all season so thats another failure on the coaching staff.

After these last two games with JJ, Maatta should be put back in...no matter how slow he was in Game 1, he’s infinitely better than JJ who gets out of position to make a hit

Reactions: OGBobbyFarnham

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
If the Pens are having a hard time getting motivated to give a good effort, that is on the coach.
Nope, it's on them. If you can't get motivated for a PLAYOFF game that's 1000000% on the person. The coach should not have to motivate them, they should already be motivated themselves just being back. I mean, their childhood dream has been winning a stanley cup or they would not be here.

Reactions: Giskard

ColePens

Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
I feel like there is a lack of compete...I’m not sure that it’s not that they’re trying...I think they might be trying but just can’t muster the legs or speed to get to the puck...either way, that’s either coaching (not listening or can’t play the style the coach wants) or both roster construction and coaching...if it’s a lack of effort by players who’ve made that effort in the past and just don’t want to put it in here, then isn’t that indictment of the coaching staff and FO?

My personal view is that there was a lack of effort last game but only after they got down a goal in that 62 second span...I think they knew it’s hard sledding against the Isles and those goals were just deflating. To me that means they don’t truly believe they have a team this year that can go anywhere near the Cup

It's all about doing the small things that make you win. When you are dead tired, can you come back to break up a 3 on 2?? When you are dead tired are you willing to lay it on the line to chip the puck to safety? Are you willing to cut your shift short 5 seconds to better the team?

It's all effort. Oh... and I'd still trap. :laugh:

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
I'd go straight out of left field. Agree with Cole on trapping.

And then I'd have McCann-Sid-Geno. And Guentzel-Blueger-Kessel.

f*** with some heads.

Reactions: ownal

ColePens

Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
And I do think we have some guys to move to that speed/skill team again. It's not impossible. I just don't know why we cannot commit to that identity for life. It obviously makes the team play with effort. I'd rather see Adam Johnson skating around and I don't care what team out hits us.

A Pens team leading in hits is a bad Pens team. Go speed/youth. That energy pays dividends.

Reactions: Ugene Malkin

TheGuiminator

I’ll be damned King, I’ll be damned
Oct 23, 2018
I feel like our leaders just don’t believe in this group and as a results, they all look uninspired.

They don’t look like an hungry team ready to war, like the other 15 teams out there.

It looks like they know deep down they don’t have what it takes to win this year, so they go through the motions without showing any sign of life or any once of motivation.

As a fan it’s frustrating to watch, cause I would like to see them atleast try.

ColePens

Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
And another thing you DONT need is a bunch of names. Go with young/fast and the core you have is good enough. Keep young/fast. Caps got better when they stopped focusing on names in the bottom 6. Isles literally have a list of bottom 6ers playing the right way. You just need an identity.

Reactions: Ugene Malkin

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
It's all about doing the small things that make you win. When you are dead tired, can you come back to break up a 3 on 2?? When you are dead tired are you willing to lay it on the line to chip the puck to safety? Are you willing to cut your shift short 5 seconds to better the team?

It's all effort. Oh... and I'd still trap. :laugh:

We talked about the trap in last year’s series against the Caps...it’s a good idea against Trotz teams but Sully will never do it...you’d think they’d try everything possible to win this game...

Reactions: ColePens

Sidgeni Malkby

Nov 19, 2008
NJ

You mean like McCann? :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad