McPhee says no signings in FA

Mike Jones

Apr 12, 2007
Calgary
And I don't know what the requirements are, but I'm sure the Wolves have goalies already as placeholders until Vegas gets more players too.

According to the AHL Contracts page on these boards Chicago doesn't have anybody signed up to play goal for 2017-18. The Knights have 2 goalies in their system right now - that's it. With the shared commitment with Chicago all they really need is one additional goalie for the Wolves plus a fourth for Quad City (ECHL affiliate). I think that barring injury they could make do with 4 for this season.

BattleBorn

50% to winning as many division titles as Toronto
Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
Keep in mind, they made 6 signings today, most/all will go to Chicago.

We should have names shortly.

StDevs

Jul 1, 2014
Nuremberg
brutal. absolutely brutal news

Absolutely true. I got excited when I heard about the expansion of the league and really thought that Vegas could ice a decent team, especially with good FA signings. Now I am really disappointed with result of all transactions and McPhees statement. I doubt that Vegas will play exciting hockey the first few seasons and I'm not sure if this is the right way. No one knows what will happen, but I'm not convinced that I stay interested in this franchise.

Mike Jones

Apr 12, 2007
Calgary
Here's the six:

There's the Knights' third goalie right there. And there are some other interesting names here too. I think that Hunt, Thompson, and Matteau will be considered injury callups while the rest are rosta-filla for the Wolves.

derriko

Mar 7, 2009
Las Vegas
Looks like the Knights have signed former Columbus prospect Oscar Dansk.

Link: https://twitter.com/TSNRyanRishaug/...andatory.com/showthread.php?t=2189005&page=17

Another G for the Wolves.

May have some potential left. He is a young 23 year old former 2nd round pick. But that was under Columbus regime of when it was the worst drafting team in the league.

And he put up pretty poor stats in the SHL too. He may very well be the ECHL goalie and Legace is in the A.

Soundgarden

Jul 22, 2008
Spring Hill, TN
Competition for the lower leagues, I wouldn't get your hopes, but he's still young enough to maybe right some bad habits under a different system. He signed a 2-way contract, so he may be on the bench in case of injury.

Gigantor The Goalie

Speak for the Goalies
Feb 4, 2012
New London
With signing two mediocre goalie prospects let alone AHL goalies I think this signals that Vegas is fine with Binnington/Husso taking both spots in Chicago while Legace/Dansk go the ECHL when everyone is healthy in both organizations. With all the quality AHL level goalies available in free agency plus the college UFA's that were available it's easy to assume that quality goalie depth for this year isn't a concern for Vegas. With Legace/Dansk being on 1-year deals I think the plan for next year is to bring in actual quality goalies for Chicago as the Blues will have their own AHL affiliate in 2018/19.

JacketsFanWest

Jun 14, 2005
Los Angeles, CA
May have some potential left. He is a young 23 year old former 2nd round pick. But that was under Columbus regime of when it was the worst drafting team in the league.

And he put up pretty poor stats in the SHL too. He may very well be the ECHL goalie and Legace is in the A.

My guess would be Dansk would be in the ECHL. He played for Rögle in the SHL, who were terrible, so he didn't have a lot of support. By the end of the season, he was their #3 goalie. I'm surprised Dansk is back in NA, but the NHL is his dream.

Dansk just has never been able to put everything together. He's technically very good and a lot of coaching. CBJ goalie coach Ian Clark actually had Dansk work with Bobrovsky on specific new techniques. It's part of the major change for Bob, but Dansk has never been able to take all the skills he knows and actually win games with them. But he might help the Vegas goalie prospects.

I've followed Dansk for a while now, but I've been pretty given up on any hope he can be an NHL goalie. Hopefully I'm wrong, since he's a nice kid.

Blue Goose

May 26, 2012
Los Angeles
hockeytransplant.com
With signing two mediocre goalie prospects let alone AHL goalies I think this signals that Vegas is fine with Binnington/Husso taking both spots in Chicago while Legace/Dansk go the ECHL when everyone is healthy in both organizations. With all the quality AHL level goalies available in free agency plus the college UFA's that were available it's easy to assume that quality goalie depth for this year isn't a concern for Vegas. With Legace/Dansk being on 1-year deals I think the plan for next year is to bring in actual quality goalies for Chicago as the Blues will have their own AHL affiliate in 2018/19.

I was thinking this exact same thing, but there are people who are smarter than me who follow the AHL that say that the Blues can always loan Binnington/Husso to another AHL club if we want to put one of our guys in Chicago. Personally, I don't see the need - we can leave Dansk/Lagace in Quad City and only bring them up as an emergency backup if one of Fleury/Pickard get hurt.

Gigantor The Goalie

Speak for the Goalies
Feb 4, 2012
New London
I was thinking this exact same thing, but there are people who are smarter than me who follow the AHL that say that the Blues can always loan Binnington/Husso to another AHL club if we want to put one of our guys in Chicago. Personally, I don't see the need - we can leave Dansk/Lagace in Quad City and only bring them up as an emergency backup if one of Fleury/Pickard get hurt.

Yeah it's looking more and more like the likely scenario will be Husso gets loaned to another AHL team while Binnington+one of Legace/Dansk man the net in Chicago. They probably want to keep Binnington close to St. Louis in case of injury because if you need a goalie to ride the pine in the NHL you have Binnington ride the pine. I just find it extremely odd that if Vegas wants a goalie in Chicago why sign Legace/Dansk? They are barely better than the worst goalie in the AHL, Joe Cannata.

Also it's looking more likely that the destination for Husso (if he's the one loaned out) will be the San Antonio Rampage which is frustrating as an Avs fan that we'll be developing a division teams star prospect goalie.

Refuse

Sin City Soldiers
Aug 23, 2005
To be honest, I don't mind avoiding FA at this stage since Vegas is rebuilding.

I know rebuilding is a staple on these boards, but it doesnt apply to this team at all. Vegas is building.

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
I understand what McPhee is doing. He is aiming for long term here which he should. I just don't know how it is going to work in this market. New fans or fair weather fans to hockey are going to want to be excited. This team is going to be boring to watch. For the main reason that they will probably score the least amount of goals in the league.

Mike Jones

Apr 12, 2007
Calgary
This team is going to be boring to watch. For the main reason that they will probably score the least amount of goals in the league.

Give the guys a chance. Expansion teams give players a second chance to make a go of it. You never know - Pulky may really find his way in Vegas.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad