McPhee says no signings in FA

derriko

Mar 7, 2009
Las Vegas
Can't link the video from his interview with Lawless posted on TSN as I'm not good at that stuff, but he says people get too much money and term in FA, so he is not interested in signing anybody.

Maybe if someone gets passed over in the first couple days he may pick someone up for scraps, but don't expect a blockbuster signing as he states the team is "pretty complete" as is.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
Three guys I wanted were Versteeg, Pitlick and Kulikov (in addition to Dadonov/Radulov)

Kulikov went for a bit too much, Engelland was the UFA taken from Calgary and Reinhart was drafted over Pitlick.

I still say Pitlick would have been a good pick.

derriko

Mar 7, 2009
Las Vegas
To be honest, I don't mind avoiding FA at this stage since Vegas is rebuilding.

For instance, Marleau is 37 years old and about to get a 3 year contract. That is not good...

I would've liked a Pitlick / Connolly type signing, but half the forward corps are bottom 6 forwards anyways, so theres no room for those types of guys.

Mike Jones

Apr 12, 2007
Calgary
Need to wait for trade deadline to move some guys.

True but Vegas could sign a couple of free agents to one year contracts now and then flip them at the deadline for futures. They did that the first couple of years of the recent Leafs rebuild.

airbus220

Feb 19, 2012
True but Vegas could sign a couple of free agents to one year contracts now and then flip them at the deadline for futures. They did that the first couple of years of the recent Leafs rebuild.

Sure the Leafs have no problem with money, it might be different for us. If there are already enough guys then these futures will be expensive. It's different if guys are still needed.

derriko

Mar 7, 2009
Las Vegas
https://lasvegassun.com/news/2017/jul/01/expect-golden-knights-to-be-silent-in-free-agency/

"Vegas already made qualifying offers to all four of its restricted free agents before Monday’s deadline. Wingers Brendan Leipsic and Teemu Pulkkinen, center Oscar Lindberg and defenseman Griffin Reinhart all received one-year deals.

They each have the option of signing their qualifying offer or rejecting it to become a restricted free agent. McPhee said he expects to keep three of the four but wouldn’t specify who will leave."

Not happy about this unless it's in a package deal with one of the defensemen moved. All those guys are young with some untapped potential left, and theres no better place to get that chance to prove themselves than here.

It would be a complete waste to let one go unless they are asking for wayyy more than they are worth. And if that's the scenario, just take them to arbitration.

airbus220

Feb 19, 2012
It would be a complete waste to let one go unless they are asking for wayyy more than they are worth. And if that's the scenario, just take them to arbitration.

I think the time for team selected arbitration is gone. If they wanted that they wouldn't have drafted them.
Obviously players want more money than only be qualified.

But we have 5 RFA, not 4. Leipsic, Lindberg, Pulkkinen, Reinhard and Schmidt.

Pandaman11

Dec 3, 2009
Wait, so if no FAs will be signed, how is that gonna work with the goalies? You can't just have two goalies in the entire system. What if one gets hurt?

derriko

Mar 7, 2009
Las Vegas
I think the time for team selected arbitration is gone. If they wanted that they wouldn't have drafted them.
Obviously players want more money than only be qualified.

But we have 5 RFA, not 4. Leipsic, Lindberg, Pulkkinen, Reinhard and Schmidt.

If Schmidt is just left to go UFA I will go insane. He's by far the best player of that bunch.

If I had a choice who to let go out of that group, it would probably be Reinhart. There is an excess of defenseman, he doesn't appear to be waiver exempt, and he already had his second chance with the Oilers.

He would probably get claimed to be the 7th defender on another team, and you get nothing in that situation.

I would still rather get rid of Emelin, Stoner, Sbisa, and even Merrill if he is not waiver exempt as well.

I'd give him a 3rd chance over keeping the players mentioned above.

Mike Jones

Apr 12, 2007
Calgary
Wait, so if no FAs will be signed, how is that gonna work with the goalies? You can't just have two goalies in the entire system. What if one gets hurt?

They could acquire an insurance goalie by either trading for one or claiming someone off waivers. There's still lots of time between now and training camp.

derriko

Mar 7, 2009
Las Vegas

Maybe he's not talking about signing players to AHL deals. You could sign a quality starter that isn't good enough for an NHL contract, but is still good enough for the AHL.

And I don't know what the requirements are, but I'm sure the Wolves have goalies already as placeholders until Vegas gets more players too.

Mike Jones

Apr 12, 2007
Calgary
If Schmidt is just left to go UFA I will go insane. He's by far the best player of that bunch.

If I had a choice who to let go out of that group, it would probably be Reinhart. There is an excess of defenseman, he doesn't appear to be waiver exempt, and he already had his second chance with the Oilers.

He would probably get claimed to be the 7th defender on another team, and you get nothing in that situation.

I would still rather get rid of Emelin, Stoner, Sbisa, and even Merrill if he is not waiver exempt as well.

I'd give him a 3rd chance over keeping the players mentioned above.

My money is on Pulkkinen returning to Europe.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad