Skip2myBordyloo

Stay the course
Apr 7, 2010
I'd agree with him being substandard on the PK, would rather roll

Talbot
Mitchell
O'Reilly
Winchester

For Pk guys, sub Landeskog in if O'Reilly get's gassed.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I'd agree with him being substandard on the PK, would rather roll

Talbot
Mitchell
O'Reilly
Winchester

For Pk guys, sub Landeskog in if O'Reilly get's gassed.

I don't think it's a given that Mitchell is better on the PK. I think their impact is about the same, while they approach it in different ways. McLeod in the traditional work your butt off, block shots kind of way, and Mitchell being more mobile and better at clearing the puck and skating it out of the zone.

Also it's not clear how he matches up with Winchester since we haven't really seen him much in the Avs PK system.

O'Reilly and Landy are probably better, but Roy doesn't like to use his top 6 on the PK much. That makes McLeod pretty important. He's not great on the PK, but he's not bad either. He's a solid PK guy, preferably on the 2nd unit.

AVSfan2daMAX

Nov 24, 2006
I will be the first to concede McLeod is not the ideal PKer. In fact, it took me half the season before getting on board with not playing Duchene and ROR consstantly on the PK However, given the way Roy like to deploy his 4th line, I think McLeod deserves some credit. Not many players who play his role are even able to attempt to play on the kill.

Skip2myBordyloo

Stay the course
Apr 7, 2010
I don't think it's a given that Mitchell is better on the PK. I think their impact is about the same, while they approach it in different ways. McLeod in the traditional work your butt off, block shots kind of way, and Mitchell being a more mobile and better at clearing the puck and skating it out of the zone.

Also it's not clear how he matches up with Winchester since we haven't really seen him much in the Avs PK system.

O'Reilly and Landy are probably better, but Roy doesn't like to use his top 6 on the PK much. That makes McLeod pretty important. He's not great on the PK, but he's not bad either. He's a solid PK guy, preferably on the 2nd unit.

I'll agree he is up there on the willingness to sacrifice for a blocked shot. Which is very important come playoff time and it isn't something we want O'Reilly doing. But his foot speed when the other team has possession and the D-man are making lateral passes back and forth and down the sidewall Mcleod goes chasing sometimes and get's caught out of position, he's also on the slower side and gives the PP just that extra little second to setup.

From my viewing I'd say Winchester and Mcleod are similar type players but Cody's a little tougher and Winchester is a bit more skilled but a much better skater.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I'll agree he is up there on the willingness to sacrifice for a blocked shot. Which is very important come playoff time and it isn't something we want O'Reilly doing. But his foot speed when the other team has possession and the D-man are making lateral passes back and forth and down the sidewall Mcleod goes chasing sometimes and get's caught out of position, he's also on the slower side and gives the PP just that extra little second to setup.

From my viewing I'd say Winchester and Mcleod are similar type players but Cody's a little tougher and Winchester is a bit more skilled but a much better skater.

That's true I'll agree with that. It's hard to find four guys that are the complete PK package though, and when they are they're usually great two way guys in the top 6 like O'Reilly and Landy.

I think Winchester and McLeod are pretty similar, and he probably will bump Cody down the PK depth chart, but it's still early.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
A 30 year old McLeod, who already looks finished, is now under contract for another 4 years. Hopefully they'll be okay with him being a leader from the press box in another year or so if his play keeps deteriorating.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Briere PKed a lot in the games he was in. I know it wasn't a full lineup but Roy likes his bottom 6 to play that role so I could see him chipping in.

McNab said on the radio yesterday that Duchene wants to start PKing some.

Foppa, McLeod rehab? Am I losing my mind? I don't recall an injury.

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007

He did pretty good at it the lockout season.

I like when our top 6 guys get a little PK time, puts pressure on the other team and you get the occasional shorty.

Bubba Thudd

is getting banned
Jul 19, 2005
Avaland
He did pretty good at it the lockout season.

I like when our top 6 guys get a little PK time, puts pressure on the other team and you get the occasional shorty.

I like to keep the top 6 for 5-on-5 and the PP.
I like it when the bottom 6 (particularly the 3rd line guys) have enough skill to get the occasional shorty.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Briere PKed a lot in the games he was in. I know it wasn't a full lineup but Roy likes his bottom 6 to play that role so I could see him chipping in.

Foppa, McLeod rehab? Am I losing my mind? I don't recall an injury.

Remember he had that ugly looking play and high ankle sprain at the end of the regular season? He clearly came back early and played through the pain because it was the playoffs. Those high ankle sprains can really be a nagging injury that pop back up and take you out of the lineup. I'm sure he spent a lot of time in the summer rehabbing it to keep that from happening.

Part of what makes McLeod valuable in his role is his ability to not miss too many games. That might have been in a bit of doubt.

famicommander

Aug 12, 2011
Count me amongst the supporters of this deal.

He was obviously on a broken wheel towards the end of last year, but prior to that I thought he looked better than he had in quite some time.

I like the attitude and toughness he brings, and I'd hate to see him retire in somebody else's uniform.

freeboy

Feb 27, 2012
Sunny Colorado
All I can say is there is a lot of experience making this seemingly strange decision for a guy I wondered would make team.. Oh well looks like he is the go to PK guy now....
Crazy day with Eliot news and Stu signing... Now where's that big multiplayer trade I was thinking about?

Drij

Mar 5, 2007
A 30 year old McLeod, who already looks finished, is now under contract for another 4 years. Hopefully they'll be okay with him being a leader from the press box in another year or so if his play keeps deteriorating.

wtf are you talking about.

frog

Apr 8, 2014
Canada
why does everyone hate McLeod? Heart and soul player, respected veteran/role model, assistant captain, PKer and sticks up for his teammates.

I love the guy, he isn't the most talented but he can at least skate, pass and shoot unlike some other 4th liners out there.

You need guys like him in the playoffs for your 4th line.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
He wasn't physical last year after his suspension and his offense, while never an expected part of his game, fell off the map last year. He's looked slow in camp and preseason, not like he was ever a burner out there but he needs to at least keep up. But on the other hand it's true it's a cheap price for a long tenured Av, important part of the team by all accounts, knows his role, can chip in on the PK and hopefully take enough of an enforcer role to not have to dress an enforcer too.

ColoradoSportsFan

Jul 16, 2005
Denver, Colorado
But, but, but... there are so many players with a higher "Overall" rating and higher "Speed" and "Acceleration" ratings. Come on, management!

Always funny seeing the armchair GMs who need a skate tightener to do up their laces talk about what's best for the team. These people have no concept of dressing room leadership, tenure, 'the big dog', and having an authoritative, consistent presence among a group of boys.

Good signing, was supposed to have gotten done before the playoffs even started. Congrats Highlander.
Don't agree with you much. But I do here.

ABasin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2002
He wasn't physical last year after his suspension and his offense, while never an expected part of his game, fell off the map last year. He's looked slow in camp and preseason, not like he was ever a burner out there but he needs to at least keep up. But on the other hand it's true it's a cheap price for a long tenured Av, important part of the team by all accounts, knows his role, can chip in on the PK and hopefully take enough of an enforcer role to not have to dress an enforcer too.

I thought his offense was the pretty typical 6-8 goal pace that he's shown for the majority of his career, and what we should expect from him. What was missing last season, was the aggressive physical play, IMO.

To the window!
Sponsor
Jan 15, 2011
North Cackolacka
I really didn't wanna continue in this thread, but I feel like I must:

Very debatable. He sometimes finds good positions in front of the net though.

Not that much anymore and he loses almost every fight anyway. Also starts fights at times when the other team wants it, not when it benefits us.

Apparently a good presence in the locker room.
Takes lots of stupid penalties though, usually at times when we are dominating.

Not very well though (explanation in earlier post).

This is the only thing that bugs me about McLeod.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
I thought his offense was the pretty typical 6-8 goal pace that he's shown for the majority of his career, and what we should expect from him. What was missing last season, was the aggressive physical play, IMO.

True, maybe it was more lack of scoring chances. I think he got a couple goals at the end of the year too.

Hans Landaskog

Feb 27, 2012
Denver
Look at the bright side guys, he's our team's best trash talker.

mcleod1.jpg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad