Confirmed with Link: McLeod signed for 3 years

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Figured this needed its own thread.

Colorado Avalanche ‏@Avalanche 3m
BREAKING: #Avs have signed Cody McLeod to a 3-year contract extension and Brad Stuart to a 2-year contract extension. pic.twitter.com/fLjIsfxXVg

Nzap

lunaR Pad
Jul 19, 2011
Parma
From the Stuart thread:

That's worse (than Stuart's contract).

I don't think he'll be good enough for the 4th line anymore.

I dare to think what his AAV is.
If it's less than 1.2 it's at least manageable. But I think it's closer to 2.

1.9AAV would be my guess.

I get the same feeling with this as with the Jones+Hunwick simultaneous signings a few years back.

Like why? And neither are here anymore

Avs71

Aug 12, 2008
Fine with the Stuart one. Not thrilled with McLeod. At least we know what we're getting, and as long as it's a low number, this doesn't really matter in the grand scheme of things.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
As long as it is a lower dollar amount, I'll be okay with it... I don't think it will be though.

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007
Cody is our most tenured Avalanche. At least he's still a solid veteran presence and 4th liner. For his role, you really can't get a lot better than Cody. It does come down to $'s though.

I just don't understand why we're keeping everyone when we're not a good enough team to be clinging to everyone as if we just made a cup run or something.

There's lots of room for improvement on the roster, yet we're re-signing our stars and our depth for years. McLeod, Mitchell, Cliche, Guenin, Holden, Stuart, Berra have all been given 2-3 year extensions so far and it's a bit frustrating since we need upgrades on them, not more of the same.

I guess we're going to be doing a lot of development in Lake Erie. Sakic/Roy must want our prospects to put in their time before coming up.

jaisen73

Oct 5, 2006
I am puzzled by the why's? I say WHY NOT? McLeod is a low cap hit and he's very solid in his role. A grinder who chips in the occasional goal, he fights, and he's a leader. Nothing wrong with keeping him around.

The Stuart signing is a bit more puzzling but not horrible.

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
I doubt it'll be for much in terms of money, and having him in what'll be a limited role (you know, just let Bordeleau go, it is possible to not re-sign players) still, it's not going to make or break the team.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
So... under 1.4m I am okay with this. 1.4-1.6 manageable, but not great. 1.6-2.0 I won't like the deal at all, but not a total disaster. 2.0+ burn this mother to the ground!!!

bromando

Jun 4, 2013
I just don't understand why we're keeping everyone when we're not a good enough team to be clinging to everyone as if we just made a cup run or something.

There's lots of room for improvement on the roster, yet we're re-signing our stars and our depth for years. McLeod, Mitchell, Cliche, Guenin, Holden, Stuart, Berra have all been given 2-3 year extensions so far and it's a bit frustrating since we need upgrades on them, not more of the same.

Agreed. These aren't elite players for their roles either (like an elite 4C or really good #5 D). The only ones I really understand are the Holden and Mitchell extensions as they've really proved their worth and their contracts are pretty fair. Guenin was obviously early and Cliche as well. Berra and Stuart were signed before we saw a real game of either. Puzzling.

Cody had a poor year last year and while he's a long time vet of the team, it's not like we couldn't wait until the end of the season to see if he rebounded. I doubt he would go anywhere else if we offered him a contract.

I will say that I can't imagine Cody makes more than Mitchell, but you never know.

Nzap

lunaR Pad
Jul 19, 2011
Parma
Agreed. These aren't elite players for their roles either (like an elite 4C or really good #5 D). The only ones I really understand are the Holden and Mitchell extensions as they've really proved their worth and their contracts are pretty fair. Guenin was obviously early and Cliche as well. Berra and Stuart were signed before we saw a real game of either. Puzzling.

Cliche and Guenin are just depth. We can bury them in the minors for no caphit. That's okay in my book.

But I mean here was I foolishly thinking that finally we will be rid of McLeod and his untimely penalties, subpar PK:ing and his poor fighting ability.

Apparently that gets you 3 more years. And probably at least almost 2mil AAV. Sigh.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
People make way too big of deals about the Guenin and Cliche extensions. If they don't perform/get beat for a spot, they can both be sent to Lake Erie and not have it count against the cap (would also be great vets down there as well).

bromando

Jun 4, 2013
Cliche and Guenin are just depth. We can bury them in the minors for no caphit. That's okay in my book.

Right, I don't think they destroy the team, but they're just examples of putting faith in too early imo.

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007
People make way too big of deals about the Guenin and Cliche extensions. If they don't perform/get beat for a spot, they can both be sent to Lake Erie and not have it count against the cap (would also be great vets down there as well).

I don't think that's the problem. With those extensions I genuinely question if Roy is willing to send 'his guys' down to the minors.

Tommy Shelby

Feb 26, 2012
He'd better step up his game now.

And no, I don't expect him to be putting up points, by stepping up I mean he needs to be throwing his body around, and working hard on the low cycle. And with Bordy out, he's going to have to actually drop the gloves every once in awhile.

AvsRobin

Size doesn't matter!
Aug 10, 2010
Stockholm
Pierre LeBrun ‏@Real_ESPNLeBrun 26s

Cody McLeod extension with Avs: $1.5 M in year 1 and $1.25 M in years 2-3

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad