McLellan/Hall Tiff on the Bench

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shizuka

Mar 16, 2002
In purgatory
Has Hall been -10 in the last 18 games or not?

Yes or No?

Pick 20 games if you wish pick 15 if you wish. He's been getting garbage results over a time period. But then again he is Hall so one can just grab excuse from the excuse bucket.

With this fan base if you are a favoured player you are never held accountable for anything. If you are out of favour you are blamed for everything. It doesn't make Hall a better player if his foibles are sugar coated.

He's the best player on an inconsistent team that has achieved nothing of note the last 5 years or more. One of the reasons the team has achieve nothing is it's best players go totally into the tank at times and almost always take turns in playing well or playing badly.

Hall and Drai are tearing it up? Nug and Eberle stink.

Eberle and Nug start scoring? Hall and Drai stink. That's why this team is in suckville each year and until our 'best players' start playing their best on a consistent basis we are going no where.

Can't say I disagree. You can't criticize the efforts of the player if they're someone's golden boy, apparently. Every single one of the players should be held accountable for the piss poor showing all these seasons, just as management and previous coaching regimes have been. If McDavid plays poorly, he is just as culpable as the lower echelon guys in the lineup. But you seemingly can't say a thing without someone spraying spittle in defence of their guy.

BTW, for those who missed it:

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/video/nhl-oilers-4-lightning-6~790768

Around the 42 second mark is where the OP incident being referred to occurs.

tikkanen

Jan 1, 2016
red deer
in fairness, 3/4 of those guys were bad hires by different management and deserved to go.

I remember Pat Quinns quote from rebuild 1.0 saying most of these guys on this team are sweethearts. I don't think it was a compliment. Krueger was good. I like Mclellen too--point is at some point the players start to take the easy route as they think the coaches can't discipline them as the coaches are the first to go.

Oct 15, 2008

Yes or No?

Pick 20 games if you wish pick 15 if you wish. He's been getting garbage results over a time period. But then again he is Hall so one can just grab excuse from the excuse bucket.

With this fan base if you are a favoured player you are never held accountable for anything. If you are out of favour you are blamed for everything. It doesn't make Hall a better player if his foibles are sugar coated.

He's the best player on an inconsistent team that has achieved nothing of note the last 5 years or more. One of the reasons the team has achieve nothing is it's best players go totally into the tank at times and almost always take turns in playing well or playing badly.

Hall and Drai are tearing it up? Nug and Eberle stink.

Eberle and Nug start scoring? Hall and Drai stink. That's why this team is in suckville each year and until our 'best players' start playing their best on a consistent basis we are going no where.

6th in the entire league in scoring. Not gud enuf in your world.

Your constant whining is tiring. Your willingness to bend stats to try and fit your narrative is so ham fisted even a dumb ass like me can see it from a mile away.

Be better beerfish.

DreamTheatre

Jul 7, 2008
Sylvan Lake, AB
Can't say I disagree. You can't criticize the efforts of the player if they're someone's golden boy, apparently. Every single one of the players should be held accountable for the piss poor showing all these seasons, just as management and previous coaching regimes have been. If McDavid plays poorly, he is just as culpable as the lower echelon guys in the lineup. But you seemingly can't say a thing without someone spraying spittle in defence of their guy.

BTW, for those who missed it:

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/video/nhl-oilers-4-lightning-6~790768

Around the 42 second mark is where the OP incident being referred to occurs.

Thanks for the link.

Honestly, I’m not sure how I feel about it. The last thing I want is Hall having issues with this coach. Hopefully this is a positive.

Young Lions*

May 27, 2015
That's not what I said at all. I love Hall's emotions, I don't like how it tends to negatively affect his productivity and effectiveness on the ice.

Except you have no idea how his emotions impact his play. You think you do. But you don't because that's not the kind of thing you can see through your TV screen.

Yes or No?

The funny thing is you missed the obvious correlation, which is those 18 games correspond with the Klefbom injury.

"Garbage results"=17 points in 20 games. 11 in his last 18. Total garbage.:eyeroll:

If his foibles are so apparent, why resort to using a garbage stat like +/- to make the point?

tikkanen

Jan 1, 2016
red deer

Your constant whining is tiring. Your willingness to bend stats to try and fit your narrative is so ham fisted even a dumb ass like me can see it from a mile away.

Be better beerfish.

Pierre Larouche was tied for 5th with 111 points in 1975-76....Penguins sucked.
Nobody compared Larouche to any actual leaders in the league. At this point Hall is immature and streaky and while he gets a reasonable number of points is often AWOL in key games and key stretches of the season. He is always on with the other better guys and gets the most minutes and is on PP. If PP sucks isn't that on him too? The jury is out and what you saw from Mclellen is a sign of the frustration he has when Hall could be all world one period or doofus his way through stretches of the game. Along with Draisatl and Mcdavid, Hall is a cut above the rest of this team but he leaves many expecting more.

Shizuka

Mar 16, 2002
In purgatory
Thanks for the link.

Honestly, I’m not sure how I feel about it. The last thing I want is Hall having issues with this coach. Hopefully this is a positive.

I don't mind it. Hall is a grown adult, he and McLellan can have their 'heat of the moment' situations and still come out of it on the positive side. The top 6 in particular have not been great during recent stretches, and being called on it should not be reserved for the lower level guys only. McLellan looked like a good coach there, particularly after coming back in the third to put his arm around the guy and say what he needed to, in order to clear the air and get the focus of the player back. And to his credit, Hall responded in the 3rd. I have serious doubts he would have reacted that way in prior seasons.

DreamTheatre

Jul 7, 2008
Sylvan Lake, AB
I don't mind it. Hall is a grown adult, he and McLellan can have their 'heat of the moment' situations and still come out of it on the positive side. The top 6 in particular have not been great during recent stretches, and being called on it should not be reserved for the lower level guys only. McLellan looked like a good coach there, particularly after coming back in the third to put his arm around the guy and say what he needed to, in order to clear the air and get the focus of the player back. And to his credit, Hall responded in the 3rd. I have serious doubts he would have reacted that way in prior seasons.

Yeah I don’t think it would have went well if that was Eakins. And I did like seeing McLellan go back and hash it out a bit after the initial confrontation. I just don’t know why he would be telling him to go down to the end of the bench. Seemed a little funny.

tikkanen

Jan 1, 2016
red deer
Yeah I don’t think it would have went well if that was Eakins. And I did like seeing McLellan go back and hash it out a bit after the initial confrontation. I just don’t know why he would be telling him to go down to the end of the bench. Seemed a little funny.

You send a guy to the end of the bench beside the back up goalie so they miss at least their next shift and get the message. It seemed to wake him up and lets hope he stays awake. Guy was floating through a minus 3 game at the time and your leaders don't have the luxury to feel sorry for themselves. I am sure they want to put a C on him but he needs to breing it more consistently and not pout.

Shizuka

Mar 16, 2002
In purgatory

Nothing more than what you would see a parent doing with a child I expect -- pure conjecture on our part, but my guess is the poor play of Hall up to that point + perhaps he was acting petulant and demonstrably showing it. McLellan issued his timeout by telling him to cool off at the end of the bench and held him accountable. It wasn't just Hall, the entire top 6 sucked for the majority of the game but maybe Hall was more emotional in his expression as such.

You need to hold yourself to that higher standard first and foremost, before you issue judgement on the others around you. For far, far too long, players have been able to coast by criticism while management and coaches were absolutely savaged by fans. It is about bloody time that the players were also held accountable, and right in the moment.

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007

Be better beerfish.

He can be better than 6th in the league in scoring. All I'm asking for is to paint the players on this team with the same paint brush. Some of these post game threads are so laughable.

Schultz is garbage! Eberle can take a hike he is so soft! Nuge sucks! Then you look at the stat line and the sacred cows are -3.

The stats don't lie, feel free to show me the stats that indicate that Hall has not been lousy for most of the past 20 games or so. If this team is EVER going to get into a true payoff race it will be becasue its best players are playing well almost all of the time. Everyone has off nights, when your best player has an off month you are pooched.

Oct 15, 2008
He can be better than 6th in the league in scoring. All I'm asking for is to paint the players on this team with the same paint brush. Some of these post game threads are so laughable.

Schultz is garbage! Eberle can take a hike he is so soft! Nuge sucks! Then you look at the stat line and the sacred cows are -3.

The stats don't lie, feel free to show me the stats that indicate that Hall has not been lousy for most of the past 20 games or so. If this team is EVER going to get into a true payoff race it will be becasue its best players are playing well almost all of the time. Everyone has off nights, when your best player has an off month you are pooched.

He is 6th in league scoring.

Hello. Anybody there?

Not good enough for beerfish. Must be better.

I used to think HF had plants to generate discussion by representing outlandish ideas, now I know its true.

Senor Catface

Jul 25, 2006
Still no explanation why it's 18 games, and not 19...or 20. Or 23.

I know this game.

You went to NHL.com, went to the game to game stats, then when you got to 18, you saw that in the next two games he had really good +/- and you stopped there.

As in I guarantee you that's exactly what happened.

18 games. Pffft.

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005

Yes or No?

In last 20 he is a -6 with 16pts ... Not bad considering -3 of the -6 was last game.
In last 15 he is -6 as well with 11pts..

Garbage results indeed ... waive this ****!!

Raoul Duke

Feb 21, 2010

No coach paints all players with the same brush. Treating first line scorers the same as fourth line grinders would be ridiculous.
I wouldn't say Hall's been lousy in the last 20 games at all, and he just about never lacks effort.
Sixth in NHL scoring is excellent.
Plus minus is a junk stat, it suits your argument well.

AJGass4

Aug 19, 2011
Every player needs a speaking to every once in a while. They are like children, I am a mom, each one needs a good reminder every now and then.

I am glad our coach has the ability to do this. All I ever saw was that idiot Eakins staring off into space.

I am very happy with the way this guy has handled all of our players.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Hall seems like a player that needs to be put in his place from time to time. I didn't even mind it when Eakins did it. Hall is still my favorite player but he notoriously tries to do it all himself sometimes, and maybe gets lost in his own head when it comes to decision making.

Mc5RingsAndABeer

5-14-6-1
May 25, 2011
Can we move on beyond plus minus? It's a team stat. Look at perennial Selke winner Patrice Bergeron's career stats then compare to the Bruins that year.

booyakasha

Oct 11, 2007
Edmonton, AB
I saw a coach giving an earful to a player for something, and then leaning in and obviously looked like encouraging talk afterwards...that doesn\t look like a tiff...looks like actual coaching.
Kids nowadays are soft, if that is what they consider a tiff.:laugh:

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
I saw a coach giving an earful to a player for something, and then leaning in and obviously looked like encouraging talk afterwards...that doesn\t look like a tiff...looks like actual coaching.
Kids nowadays are soft, if that is what they consider a tiff.:laugh:
No kidding.

TheRebuild

Bold as Boognish
Jun 12, 2014
Winter
I didn't see the video. But if I had to guess, Hall probably just threw a water bottle and some water got in McLellen's hair. It happens.

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
The funny thing is you missed the obvious correlation, which is those 18 games correspond with the Klefbom injury.

If his foibles are so apparent, why resort to using a garbage stat like +/- to make the point?

Oh, so taylor halls performance is totally tied to klefbom eh? We better give klefbom the 6 mill a year in that case.

+- is not in any way shape or form a garbage stat.

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
Can we move on beyond plus minus? It's a team stat. Look at perennial Selke winner Patrice Bergeron's career stats then compare to the Bruins that year.

So when j schultz is -12 and Hall and drai are +10 we can totally discount it then as well eh?

It's totally a relevant stat, Eberle when he 1st came back was a minus nightmare and got killed for it justifiably so. Hall and Drai were huge pluses on a lousy oiler team when they were playing well. A game or two? Not a big deal but over sections of a year, say 15-20 games it's a good indicator as to how players are playing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad