McLellan/Hall Tiff on the Bench

Status
Not open for further replies.

McOvechking

Apr 28, 2009
Edmonton, Alberta
Maybe this doesn't warrant its own thread, we'll see.

For those of you who didn't catch the game last night, TSN's highlight package showed Todd McLellan reaming out Hall for being on the ice for three goals against, and then bumping Hall to the end of the bench.

Maybe Hall isn't buying into something McLellan is coaching. Maybe Hall just had a bad night? I don't think by any stretch there is bad blood between these guys, and I actually think it was good coaching from McLellan.

Thoughts?

Game 8

Mar 8, 2003
Great coaching! Not sure what the issue was but if the coach didnt say anything I would be concerned!

Wretched Oil

Right out of 'er
Feb 19, 2008
Maybe this doesn't warrant its own thread, we'll see.

For those of you who didn't catch the game last night, TSN's highlight package showed Todd McLellan reaming out Hall for being on the ice for three goals against, and then bumping Hall to the end of the bench.

Maybe Hall isn't buying into something McLellan is coaching. Maybe Hall just had a bad night? I don't think by any stretch there is bad blood between these guys, and I actually think it was good coaching from McLellan.

Thoughts?

There's more to it.

Afterwards TM hugged hall and said somethings to him privately, shortly afterwards he set LD up with a beauty pass.

To me this is pretty basic stuff. Give him **** for screwing up, tell him something to get him going again and voila! Response

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
I think I know what the *issue* was. McLellan was telling Hall that he is a preternatural force and to stop doubting himself and get back to play where he is causing events instead of waiting for something to happen. For several games Hall was doubting, which happens to all players, even elite players, and it was obvious he was not being as aggressive and looking for turnovers. He was kind of hanging back and thus not being a threat and not making plays.
Mclellan, I bet was saying something like this and Hall was responding that the checking is too tight, I can't make any plays. you can see the frustration in Halls reaction. But Mclellan probably responds with you have to go out and make the plays. Which you can do.

A good Hall makes good reads, senses an opportunity and jumps on it like a cat. Which not too surprisingly he found a way to do on the very next play. That was classic Hall there sensing that play was there. Great feed to Draisaitl. One of the few really aggressive well timed jump I'd seen from Hall in several games. hall had lost some confidence.

What I like the most though, and was very unlike Eakins is McLellan went to Hall and gave him the gears but then later went back to him and said "are we good, you know I'm just supporting you and helping you be your best" (or something like that haha) But the body language was great. Mclellan holding Halls shoulder and bending over close to his ear like a teacher would.. This act conveys caring. You can see Hall nodding, affirming.

loved it

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
Hall sprayed water on MacClellans suit.

Also considering he is -10 in his last 18 games he probably needed a kick in the ass.

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
Great coaching! Not sure what the issue was but if the coach didnt say anything I would be concerned!

From TM's post game interview it seems like Hall was "too frustrated" with things and that didnt fly with McLellan. Dont think he got benched because of his play but probably because he got too emotional.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
From TM's post game interview it seems like Hall was "too frustrated" with things and that didnt fly with McLellan. Dont think he got benched because of his play but probably because he got too emotional.

Because McLellan correctly recognizes when hall is too frustrated he blocks himself. Starts to believe things just won't go right out there. Which then become self fulfilling prophesy as in when you believe you cannot do something.

its just like math mental block.

Sometimes you just need somebody to have your back and tell you to get back to it and you will get it.

Hall did bring this on himself. Its great that Hall got what he needed from the head coach.

Halibut

Jul 24, 2010

Makes sense, heard him talk about coaching leadership and Hall does have a tendency to get pouty at times.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
The one thing that I found more interesting is how the commentators pointed out how TM has adapted from SJ to EDM. In SJ he didn't say much. In EDM he is always talking to someone. This is something Eakins never did.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
I'm glad that TM is holding the star players accountable. Hall himself would say that he needs to be better. I think he'll play with some fire against Dallas.

oXo Cube

Power Play Merchant
Nov 4, 2008
In your closet
I think Hall lays a lot more of the blame for the mess that this team has been on himself than he probably should.

Dude just wants to win and I'm not sure he understands why he can't force the issue on his own the way he used to.

It shows sometimes.

s7ark

RIP
Jul 3, 2003
This is a complete non issue. On the broadcast they showed how TM reamed Hall out in the second and at the start of the third put his arm around him and had a supportive talk. Hall then came out flying for the third.

TSN trying make mountains out of molehills once again. I doubt they ever forgive us for 'stealing' McDavid from them.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
That's just what good coaching looks like. Any manager or coach knows that sometimes you need to use the carrot, sometimes you need to use the stick.

McOvechking

Apr 28, 2009
Edmonton, Alberta
This is a complete non issue. On the broadcast they showed how TM reamed Hall out in the second and at the start of the third put his arm around him and had a supportive talk. Hall then came out flying for the third.

TSN trying make mountains out of molehills once again. I doubt they ever forgive us for 'stealing' McDavid from them.

And since I didn't get a chance to watch the game last night I was a bit thrown off by the TSN highlights, which is why I made the thread.

I think it does go to show that Hall has some maturing to do, and probably isn't ready to be the captain of this team despite being its best player.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking

Did TSN milk this one again?:laugh:

lol

McLellan handled this very well I thought and for the reasons you mention. Its no issue. Its a coach correctly supporting players on the bench with critical feedback and support. hall is the better for it.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
People can speculate all they want on what they talked about. I don't buy much of it. Hall did something that pissed maclellan off and then they kissed and made up and hall was flying in the third. Too many pyschologists on this board who think they know the inner workings of these players. Looked like a good coaching moment all put together with a player responding how you want him to respond.

yukoner88

Dec 16, 2009
Dawson City, YT
And since I didn't get a chance to watch the game last night I was a bit thrown off by the TSN highlights, which is why I made the thread.

I think it does go to show that Hall has some maturing to do, and probably isn't ready to be the captain of this team despite being its best player.

TSN = TMZ sometimes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad