McLellan/Hall Tiff on the Bench

Status
Not open for further replies.

Young Lions*

May 27, 2015
And since I didn't get a chance to watch the game last night I was a bit thrown off by the TSN highlights, which is why I made the thread.

I think it does go to show that Hall has some maturing to do, and probably isn't ready to be the captain of this team despite being its best player.

I guess a real captain shows no emotion whatsoever.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton

It's not like the person everyone calls the best captain in the world has ever needed a teammate to walk into the penalty box during a playoff game to cool him down when he went overboard or anything...

McTrashBoat

Show me the deed
Nov 28, 2014
It's not like the person everyone calls the best captain in the world has ever needed a teammate to walk into the penalty box during a playoff game to cool him down when he went overboard or anything...

Man that sure became a memorable moment

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
Believe its a non issue as well but I wonder if it plays into a seemingly terribly coached game by McLellan and staff.

The way the defensemen were rolling out you had two righties, two lefties, and often two people who have never played together all season getting tossed out seemingly at random. Terrible coaching and then combined with the putrid PP I think its the first time this season I can say the coaching was the primary thing that cost us the game.

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005
Because McLellan correctly recognizes when hall is too frustrated he blocks himself. Starts to believe things just won't go right out there. Which then become self fulfilling prophesy as in when you believe you cannot do something.

its just like math mental block.

Sometimes you just need somebody to have your back and tell you to get back to it and you will get it.

Hall did bring this on himself. Its great that Hall got what he needed from the head coach.
i think he tends to try and do too much and gets away from his game, good vet coach recognizing him and bringing him back to earth,

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
Just TSN trying to milk it bigger like always. Todd's just being a good coach and helping Hall recognize it. No big deal whatsoever.

McOvechking

Apr 28, 2009
Edmonton, Alberta
That's not what I said at all. I love Hall's emotions, I don't like how it tends to negatively affect his productivity and effectiveness on the ice.
Just TSN trying to milk it bigger like always. Todd's just being a good coach and helping Hall recognize it. No big deal whatsoever.

Agreed.

alphahelix

Feb 15, 2007
I think the issue is that we haven't seen MORE of this from McLellan. There are guys who have deserved to have their ***** CHEWED UP. I would be going ballistic. They need a kick in the ass more often than they've been getting it. You know who I'm talking about, and its not usually Hall...

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
I think the issue is that we haven't seen MORE of this from McLellan. There are guys who have deserved to have their ***** CHEWED UP. I would be going ballistic. They need a kick in the ass more often than they've been getting it. You know who I'm talking about, and its not usually Hall...

Is the answer Jordan Eberle and Justin Schultz?

oStealthKiller*

Master Monkey Herder
Jul 2, 2012
Edmonton

Some players are Pansys and don't take kindly to non positive feedback

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
This is what real coaching of a young, learning team looks like folks. Nothing to see here.

Philly85*

I Ain't Even Mad
Mar 28, 2009
They then proceeded to show, TMac going to him and patting him on the back giving words of encouragement directly after.

This is a completely pointless thread.

BlackDogg

perpetuum defectum
Oct 3, 2015
He said, "Kid, you tried your best and failed miserably. The lesson is to never try"

Then he went back and said "just joking - get your ass in gear!".

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
Has Hall been -10 in the last 18 games or not?

Yes or No?

Pick 20 games if you wish pick 15 if you wish. He's been getting garbage results over a time period. But then again he is Hall so one can just grab excuse from the excuse bucket.

With this fan base if you are a favoured player you are never held accountable for anything. If you are out of favour you are blamed for everything. It doesn't make Hall a better player if his foibles are sugar coated.

He's the best player on an inconsistent team that has achieved nothing of note the last 5 years or more. One of the reasons the team has achieve nothing is it's best players go totally into the tank at times and almost always take turns in playing well or playing badly.

Hall and Drai are tearing it up? Nug and Eberle stink.

Eberle and Nug start scoring? Hall and Drai stink. That's why this team is in suckville each year and until our 'best players' start playing their best on a consistent basis we are going no where.

tikkanen

Jan 1, 2016
red deer
I think I know what the *issue* was. McLellan was telling Hall that he is a preternatural force and to stop doubting himself and get back to play where he is causing events instead of waiting for something to happen. For several games Hall was doubting, which happens to all players, even elite players, and it was obvious he was not being as aggressive and looking for turnovers. He was kind of hanging back and thus not being a threat and not making plays.
Mclellan, I bet was saying something like this and Hall was responding that the checking is too tight, I can't make any plays. you can see the frustration in Halls reaction. But Mclellan probably responds with you have to go out and make the plays. Which you can do.

A good Hall makes good reads, senses an opportunity and jumps on it like a cat. Which not too surprisingly he found a way to do on the very next play. That was classic Hall there sensing that play was there. Great feed to Draisaitl. One of the few really aggressive well timed jump I'd seen from Hall in several games. hall had lost some confidence.

What I like the most though, and was very unlike Eakins is McLellan went to Hall and gave him the gears but then later went back to him and said "are we good, you know I'm just supporting you and helping you be your best" (or something like that haha) But the body language was great. Mclellan holding Halls shoulder and bending over close to his ear like a teacher would.. This act conveys caring. You can see Hall nodding, affirming.

loved it

Very good summation-as they say-- "mclellan is coaching the #@%! out of this team. Hope he can keep his enthusiasm. Cant be easy for him.

phaedrusDH

Jul 6, 2009
demonstrably effective. the Oilers did not fold in the 3rd and Hall played a perfect 2-on-1 with Drai for a goal. credit where it's due.

tikkanen

Jan 1, 2016
red deer
Has Hall been -10 in the last 18 games or not?

Yes or No?

Pick 20 games if you wish pick 15 if you wish. He's been getting garbage results over a time period. But then again he is Hall so one can just grab excuse from the excuse bucket.

With this fan base if you are a favoured player you are never held accountable for anything. If you are out of favour you are blamed for everything. It doesn't make Hall a better player if his foibles are sugar coated.

He's the best player on an inconsistent team that has achieved nothing of note the last 5 years or more. One of the reasons the team has achieve nothing is it's best players go totally into the tank at times and almost always take turns in playing well or playing badly.

Hall and Drai are tearing it up? Nug and Eberle stink.

Eberle and Nug start scoring? Hall and Drai stink. That's why this team is in suckville each year and until our 'best players' start playing their best on a consistent basis we are going no where.

Agree 100%-still was a good look at a coaching moment. We can only hope Mclellan can get the best out of these core guys before Management decides that the coach has to go--like with Quinn-Renney-Kruger-Easkins...did I miss anyone?

phaedrusDH

Jul 6, 2009
Agree 100%-still was a good look at a coaching moment. We can only hope Mclellan can get the best out of these core guys before Management decides that the coach has to go--like with Quinn-Renney-Kruger-Easkins...did I miss anyone?

in fairness, 3/4 of those guys were bad hires by different management and deserved to go.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad